PDA

View Full Version : Holding down batteries

Havasufun
04-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Preferred method for holding down batteries? Whats best and why? Pics would help. Thanks

Fluid
04-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Velcro alone can be rather unsatisfactory in a high speed flip. The packs can come loose, knock off the hatch and bye-bye. I prefer to use velcro hook-and-loop on the bottom and straps. It is easier with rails in the boat.

http://i52.tinypic.com/e7l9oz.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/mlgg2h.jpg

Havasufun
04-16-2011, 11:29 PM
:thumbup:Sweet lookin also, thanks:buttrock:BTW whats in there?

tim v
05-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Preferred method for holding down batteries? Whats best and why? Pics would help. Thanks

if you guys use velcro on the batt what glue do you use? i have tried epoxy and shoe goo any suggestions?

Fluid
05-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Velcro has a sticky side, that's the side I put against the battery. ;)

NativePaul
05-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Cyno in medium or thick to avoid wicking into the loops and making it a solid block. It seems to melt through the Velcro adhesive rather well. I find that when it gets warm the stock adhesive on the back of velcro is more like gunge than adhesive and if I don't glue it in the hooks stick to the loops better than the glue sticks to either the hull or the battery, of course when it cools down its like an adhesive again and you can stick it back down but when it happens at the races chances are ill get a thumb print, bit of mud or sweat on the surface and it wont stick quite as well next time as it did last time and it keeps getting worse till I give up and glue it down, which is what I do at the start now.

With cooler running LiPos things aren't as bad as they were in the Nickle days, with the temps those things ran at you could barely call it gunge that the adhesive turned into, even gluing it on I recall replacing velcro several times because I'd melted the heatshrink it was glued to. Since BL/LiPo I've never had anything come unstuck without me either pulling on it or crashing so if you wait for everything to cool down before you try to remove it from the hull I guess you would be OK.