PDA

View Full Version : ESC Stock Cooling Issue/Fix

SweetAccord
01-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Greetings all,

I finally received my SV27. In sup'in up my SuperVee (lots to do) the first thing I went for and saw a flaw in was how the stock heat sink was mounted on the ESC. It is theoretically well designed how it's to operate, but mechanically how it's assembled there is more to desire in the layout.

Problem 1. If the screws on the heat sink are tightened it too much it concaves and does not sit flat on the ESC (loss of surface area and heat exchange) and obviously if it's not screwed down well it's not going to pass over the heat well to the heat sink either.

Problem 2. The the heat sink water line connect sits way too low, and even if the heat sink is flat on the ESC, once tightened, it won't be sitting completely flat, because of the hoses hitting the ESC and raising the heat sink so once again there is surface loss.

Solution: I will be cutting two pieces of flat aluminum plates that will be placed between (no pic as yet) the ESC and the (blue) heat sink on both sides which will allow all the the above issues to be resolved. This will allow the heat sink to clear the hose connects and sit flat once tightened down. I may also add some thermal grease to help the heat transfer along too.

Hope that helps.

kin
01-31-2008, 11:43 AM
mine me saying this , crap ,,,,,,, too much of resistnce . just dun tighten it much to create that concave position u mention , adding a plate to it wont solve your problem.... ever wonder why no one replied to your post ... no one cares!!!!! or its just crap .. sorry again for the crap word tho ~ dun worsen your sv esc

kck741
01-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Wow those are some harsh words.I think the stock esc works fine Just dont over tighten the screws

kin
01-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow those are some harsh words.I think the stock esc works fine Just dont over tighten the screws

sorry didnt mean to be harsh but its the true fact , sometimes we just over react and do things beyond thinking straight and trying to outsmart some experts who build the sv itself , just dun over tighten it will do, apologise if the word uses r harshed tho.

RCprince
01-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Blackjack esc IMO has a better design, But hey the SV is a great Boat enjoy it have fun, research, experiment..It's all in the name of fun

Steven Vaccaro
01-31-2008, 12:59 PM
mine me saying this , crap ,,,,,,, too much of resistnce . just dun tighten it much to create that concave position u mention , adding a plate to it wont solve your problem.... ever wonder why no one replied to your post ... no one cares!!!!! or its just crap .. sorry again for the crap word tho ~ dun worsen your sv esc

Kin we appreciate well thought out and constructive responses. We really don't need these kinds of responses.

SweetAccord
01-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Ewwww....... I was just trying to point on that the plate bends. I'm not overreacting, don't know where that came from. Anyways, I work with many industrial motors and computers and circuit boards you have and will never see in your life including other small to medium electronic devices and circuits and I understand the details of cooling and heat exchange/transfer more than I come off to. Not tightening it does not provide enough contact surface area for the maximum cooling effect. When reaching temperatures above 100F that is very hot and electronic devices mostly fail above their design. If you feel it does then kudos to you. I know it can be better. To some that may be important to gain all the advantage to some they won't care (hence no post?) Any change is about the change being part of one change that will make the difference in the summation of the whole.

"Experts?" I would not say an expert designed the heat sink on the ESC. First flaw is the water line connects are way too low hitting the ESC. Any one with 1 year in mechanical design 101 would have given more clearance for may different reasons. I can name a few. There is some things that may/can and have been improved on (water pickup, hull, radio etc. read more posts) on the SV, hence all the parts that can be purchased and added, but yes out of box it's fine, depending what "fine" means to you. Again, some people may care for out of the box performance while others seek for more.

I won't be using the stock ESC anyways hence null point anymore, but a plate would work if created if you look before you leap, the thickness where the screws pass through are thinner than the contact plate area. So making a plate that would be the same surface area that the screws would pass though would NOT allow the plate to bend when tightened down more.

It doesn't bother me that no one replied, I'm sharing my information and there were may views on the post which tells me it's not all about answering, it's about reading and gaining knowledge. I read many posts and do not reply by the way. :smile:

motoxbob11
01-31-2008, 08:46 PM
I didn't reply because I just got home!!! I noticed the bend also but since the cooling tubes are so far to the ends I figured its not a very effective design anyway so I'm not going to worry about it. I think Kin should also not worry so much and calm down a bit. (A spell-checker would help also)
My thought is that with stock power levels and sane prop selection the stock unit should be fine.

SweetAccord
01-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah man, for stock it's fine. I'm not doing stock here though. If he thinks that much of such a small item it pointless, go look at 10gauge's thread: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=1233&highlight=water that should make ya rip your hair out!

Spell checker, <Bwahhahahaa.........now that was funny!!! :lol:

Bill-SOCAL
02-01-2008, 09:44 AM
First, as noted, if you are torquing down on the bolts so much that you are bending the plates, that is TOO MUCH!!

Second, if you tighten them the right amount the clearance between the tubing and the body is DESIGNED to help hold the tubing on. It is NOT a flaw, it is meant to do that.

Oh well. Try to have fun with the boat. It gets much maligned, but it is a great value and it really is a good boat. I still run mine every time I go to the lake, and I've got 6 other boats to choose from. It is just a soild little fun boat that does everything a race boat should.

kin
02-01-2008, 11:17 AM
my bad ~ but i`m sticking to my guns on a frenly manner here .....

ps; i apologised but no no one seem to take my apology ,

SweetAccord
02-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Apology accepted, No worries.

kin
02-01-2008, 11:46 AM
anyway i think i may upgrade to a hydra 120 esc with feigao 9xl motor with one of the grimracer 3 blade prop real soon , hope to see my sv rocket at full throttle tho , still working on the CG ....... LOL

SweetAccord
02-01-2008, 11:53 AM
First, as noted, if you are torquing down on the bolts so much that you are bending the plates, that is TOO MUCH!!

Second, if you tighten them the right amount the clearance between the tubing and the body is DESIGNED to help hold the tubing on. It is NOT a flaw, it is meant to do that.

Oh well. Try to have fun with the boat. It gets much maligned, but it is a great value and it really is a good boat. I still run mine every time I go to the lake, and I've got 6 other boats to choose from. It is just a soild little fun boat that does everything a race boat should.

I love the boat, no doubt. There is just more to desire in the design. As for the ESC, well Like I said I'm not using the stock ESC so mute point anymore.

But I have to disagree that the tubing is to be hitting the body to help hold it on. Bad idea, that is what the flanged lip on the brass fitting is for, and making it hit the body to "help" is a patch then as then the plate is not sitting flush on the body of the ESC.

I would not make the tubing to be touching something that is hot or even warm, that is a failure ready to happen in my book may take forever but think about it. But once again, most won't care and think it's fine. I look at every little thing how and why in a design. Placing a rubber item on a heated object to say it's to hold it makes little to no sense, sorry.

I'd like to see a car manufacturer or any system that uses some type of cooling design an engine for example and position the cooling hoses and flush them up against the engine and say "Oh we flush the hoses on the hot engine to hold them down." I'd laugh in their face!

:smile:

SweetAccord
02-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Kin, you will like the Hydra, it's well designed, nice instructions clear and easy to understand.

RCprince
02-01-2008, 12:00 PM
lol you guys are funny...enough already....What is It we like about the SV...hmmm..I like that fact that I have an outboard on mine...waiting for the winter thaw to whip some cats behind.....working on stopping it from leaking when it flips....

SweetAccord
02-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Hey RCprince, what's your top speed these days? What motor your favorite?

kin
02-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Kin, you will like the Hydra, it's well designed, nice instructions clear and easy to understand.

yeah im sure to love it and it be music to my ears , sorry off tracking , thinking of getting the titan 29 hull and build it from there ~ not sure what electronics to store in yet tho , still in the drawing board stage

domwilson
02-01-2008, 12:03 PM
I liked to hear what kind of speeds you guys are getting when done with your mods. I will be interesting.

SweetAccord
02-01-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm going to have to get a GPS then. More $, ugh. Kin, try a Feigao, they are a nice upgrade. The AMMO 2300 is a sweet upgrade to. They are sold by OSE. Here is the link: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-gpmg5290

If you want something that is close to the Feigao 540 11L 2,234 RPM / Volt 5mm Shaft. 540 10L 2,458 RPM / Volt 5mm Shaft

As of now they are out of stock, but once in stock it's a great upgrade!

:smile:

kin
02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I liked to hear what kind of speeds you guys are getting when done with your mods. I will be interesting.
im still running in stock condition , lipos for sure , dun have a garmin yet to track my speed but my est is bout 50+km/h close to 60km/h i assume

SweetAccord
02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I beleive RcPrince is way over 40, even 45+.

offshore1
02-14-2008, 10:10 PM
I noticed the same thing you did when I was cleaning out the obstructions in my cooling system. When I had the heat sinc apart I bent the two pieces back out the other way so they were concave. Then, during re-assembly, I tightened down the screws in a uniform and gradual manner with blue locktite. The heat sinc/cooler now sits flat on the top and bottom of the ESC.

SweetAccord
02-17-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm glad someone saw what I'm talking about. But anyways I abandoned the stock ES for a Hydra 120. I never even used it!

SJFE
02-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Kin disregard my PM. I didn't read the entire thread before I sent it.
Tom

Cartwheels
06-18-2008, 02:53 AM
I know this thread is kind of old, but I noticed that mine is this way too. I bet they all come from the factory that way. It doesn't seem to matter how tight or loose the screws are. I can't imagine that it works very well this way. Probably just needs to be bent a little so that the heat sink actually touches the ESC. Or, just buy a Castle ESC!

SweetAccord
06-18-2008, 08:50 PM
That was my solution a Castle ESC!

Electro
11-28-2008, 09:53 AM
hello, i had the same problem with the esc overheating but what i did is i went to radio shack and i bought ( Thermal Grease ) and i applied it in between the esc and the cooler, Thermal grease conducts the heat transfer better and up to now i have never had a problem.

SweetAccord
01-19-2009, 06:22 PM
hello, i had the same problem with the esc overheating but what i did is i went to radio shack and i bought ( Thermal Grease ) and i applied it in between the esc and the cooler, Thermal grease conducts the heat transfer better and up to now i have never had a problem.

You can do that, but the idea behind thermal grease is not to act as a "filler" if there is a noticeable gap, rather it's to provide a "better" contact on top of an existing "good" contact. If your heat sink is flat, adding the thermal grease will definitely help like you already said it would.