PDA

View Full Version : A BIG motor to ask about

crrcboatz
04-15-2011, 12:01 AM
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=11186

Turnigy 600 1760kv

44mmx65mm 3000w.

What is this motor good for and what would you put 2 of them in or 4s or 5s?

oscarel
04-15-2011, 12:08 AM
This one might be a better fit, 3250w and a little cheaper. I've got 2 of them sitting on the shelf.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11980

crrcboatz
04-15-2011, 12:21 AM
This one might be a better fit, 3250w and a little cheaper. I've got 2 of them sitting on the shelf.

I went ahead and bought 2 of them for a twin deep vee project. Can I put 2 of these in a 50-55" offshore dv on 4s and get good speed?

m4a1usr
04-15-2011, 12:25 AM
I went ahead and bought 2 of them for a twin deep vee project. Can I put 2 of these in a 50-55" offshore dv on 4s and get good speed?

Not a chance. A $40 motor is just that. Cancel the order, get something that can really deliver 3000 watts. That motor will not do it and survive for very long.

John

crrcboatz
04-15-2011, 12:35 AM
Not a chance. A $40 motor is just that. Cancel the order, get something that can really deliver 3000 watts. That motor will not do it and survive for very long.

John

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=306678

Here is a nice project that indicates nearly the same motor of power output ie 2500w completed and he says it works fine.:confused2::beerchug:

crrcboatz
04-15-2011, 12:39 AM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=23962

He has his pics of 2x nearly the same motor in a 47dv. It is in the bottom post on this thread.

m4a1usr
04-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Looks like your right. I didnt follow that build. If Carl already built one and its working well go with it. It wouldnt have been my choice but the facts speak for themselves. And if you can save some bux, even better.

John

siberianhusky
04-15-2011, 11:48 AM
If you read post 6 in that thread he states it hasn't been on water yet because of the weather.
I'd hardly call that a tested setup! I hope it works out for you. I have my doubts about those motors, looked at them real hard then went with a castle inrunner. Just too cheap, I question the quality of the magnets and quality of copper in the windings, bearings are a cheap easy fix that wear in any motor so I don't count those.
I think I'd look at scorpion outrunners, a little more money but a known powerhouse motor.
Just my 2 cents, I avoid the cheapest and the most expensive, aim middle of the road and am usually happy.
I was thinking of one in my 1/10 shovelnose hydro.

crrcboatz
04-15-2011, 03:55 PM
siberian you are probably right. I ordered them because I had a $387 credit with HK. They were not able to deliver on a jet unit I had ordered. This motor had received some kind words from a thread on this site so I thought it would be a good candidate. I want to stay with 4s possibly 5s on this project. If someone knows of a good motor on HK that would be better than this one please let me know because the motors I have ordered are on backorder. They have a 40x74x2550kv inrunner but did not know anything about it in terms of a recommendation and the motor does not have the wattage rating of this motor either.

I am not looking to go 60-70mph, rather a sport boat in the 50-60mph range.

siberianhusky
04-15-2011, 05:11 PM
The big thing will be to watch the prop size to start with, it seems that the cheaper magnets tend to demagnetize at lower temperatures than the higher quality ones. As long as you don't heat them up by running too big a prop they will work.
As long as people stay within the limits of what the stuff is capable of hobbyking stuff seems to do a pretty good job, it's when you really push it problems arise.
I figured by the size of props most guys are running on the scale hydros that I'd probably have problems if I tried one. Especially since you can't effectively water cool an outrunner yet and there is not much air exchange at all inside a hull.
All comes down to prop choice.

Fluid
04-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Guys, remember that not every build post you see on line is accurate or even honest. It is like YouTube, just because you see a boat run with a described setup doesn't mean it actually has that specific setup in it, or that it didn't burn up on the next run. I do not trust posts from folks who have no proven credibility. That does not mean they are lying, they may just be inexperienced. Or they may be 100% correct. But I'll not risk my $$$ on their say-so.

As for the motor in the first post - we need to be smart when we evaluate motors. Yes, that motor says 3000 watts, but it also says 40 volts. A 1760 Kv motor on 40 volts is over 70,000 rpm - is that practical? Of course not. Outrunners are not high-amp motors, to get 3000 watts from a more practical 14.8 volts you need over 200 amps, a lot more than the 75 amps they suggest. Using their stated amp limit, the motor will at best produce 1100 watts on 4S. Two of them will not work well in a 50"+ boat. As was stated above, a $40 motor is a $40 motor, not something that will likely take the place of a good quality motor. Caveat Emptor.

crrcboatz
04-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Guys, remember that not every build post you see on line is accurate or even honest. It is like YouTube, just because you see a boat run with a described setup doesn't mean it actually has that specific setup in it, or that it didn't burn up on the next run. I do not trust posts from folks who have no proven credibility. That does not mean they are lying, they may just be inexperienced. Or they may be 100% correct. But I'll not risk my $$$ on their say-so.

As for the motor in the first post - we need to be smart when we evaluate motors. Yes, that motor says 3000 watts, but it also says 40 volts. A 1760 Kv motor on 40 volts is over 70,000 rpm - is that practical? Of course not. Outrunners are not high-amp motors, to get 3000 watts from a more practical 14.8 volts you need over 200 amps, a lot more than the 75 amps they suggest. Using their stated amp limit, the motor will at best produce 1100 watts on 4S. Two of them will not work well in a 50"+ boat. As was stated above, a $40 motor is a $40 motor, not something that will likely take the place of a good quality motor. Caveat Emptor.

Jay I appreciate your input. Especially the math you used to explain the TRUE watt output. :rockon2: I have no need for 1100 watt motors. They are on back order so I will cancel them. Again thanks to everyone for helping me on this. I have a chance to pickup 2 1518x1800kv Castles so will do that. Do you all think 2 of them will do the trick??

Jeepers
04-17-2011, 03:33 AM
If you want to do twins those 1518's are pretty small for a 50" mono, look at the 1717 size motors. I don' t know what kv is offered, never looked. You should also consider upping the voltage and getting a lower kv motor. it would be so much easier on components.

photohoward1
04-17-2011, 09:20 AM

Not to burst any bubbles but I bought both motors discussed in this thread (I couldn't resist the price) The 1700kv motor I ran in a P offshore. Ran competitive and never broke a sweat. The 1400kv I am running in a Qsport hydro (whiplash). Mid 50's all day.

No they are not as good as Neu or Lehners. But come on $30 each. How can you go wrong?

Better fun factor when I know I spent $500 less and I can still beat the top dollar boats.