PDA

View Full Version : Motley crue or Proboat m.g

mappo
04-14-2011, 06:28 PM
lOOKING at both of these cats but is still undecided. feedback will be appreciated
.:help:

steveo
04-14-2011, 08:16 PM
there have been good reports about the MG in threads have not seen to much review on the motely crew, the MG looks more scale and is a good runner. do a search for MG threads

johnf
04-14-2011, 09:13 PM
I love my mg, and they are definitely worth the money. The motley is new to the market, but looks promising. Time will tell. I say get the one that is more visually appealing to you, as they are both sure to be a good choice, IMO.

mappo
04-16-2011, 09:08 PM
I love my mg, and they are definitely worth the money. The motley is new to the market, but looks promising. Time will tell. I say get the one that is more visually appealing to you, as they are both sure to be a good choice, IMO.

Visually! i am biased towards the M.Geico. :Peace_Sign:

T.S.Davis
04-16-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm pretty impressed with both so far but I haven't seen the MG run in traffic yet.

JPriami
04-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Miss Geico has my vote and $$. The Motley crew is just square and ugly for the eyes to look at. But I hear it's a stable boat and so is the geico.

johnf
04-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Maybe these will help.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/picture.php?albumid=211&pictureid=3221

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/picture.php?albumid=211&pictureid=3224

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/picture.php?albumid=211&pictureid=3225
:rockon2:

mappo
04-19-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm pretty impressed with both so far but I haven't seen the MG run in traffic yet.

Thanks Guys for the responses. looking forward to the Mg. :cool2:

LiPo Power
04-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Miss Geico!!!!

Doby
04-19-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm impressed with my Motley Crew.

ron1950
04-20-2011, 09:25 AM
since u are the only one that has one lol

LiPo Power
04-20-2011, 09:26 AM
:w00t:

Doby
04-20-2011, 09:42 AM
since u are the only one that has one lol

Yup...sucks to be everyone else:lol:

longballlumber
04-20-2011, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't say the "only" one.... Very soon there will be may in the fun loving hands of boaters!!!

Later,
Mike

T.S.Davis
04-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Yeah, Mike's had one since before it had a name. ninner ninner ninnner haha

I tried to get Grim to call the new boat the Stray cat but noooooooo. The Motley scheme looks great on there. I'm in the local hobby shops 2 to 3 times per week. I've been watching for them on the shelf.

That Gieco full flight shot concerns me. If that's a shot of the boat running all by itself it's going to be a handful in traffic. Has anyone run one in an 8 boat heat for 4 minutes with the left?

Darin Jordan
04-20-2011, 10:22 AM
That Gieco full flight shot concerns me. If that's a shot of the boat running all by itself it's going to be a handful in traffic. Has anyone run one in an 8 boat heat for 4 minutes with the left?

You don't need to worry about the MG in rough water, or traffic... Haven't seen a MC, but I've driven the piss out of the MG in all sorts of conditions and it's rock solid! Avatars don't make a good evaluation method, my friend! :thumbup1:

I can't wait until the MC gets out there to the masses and these boats start doing battle! Talk about an offshore BOOM!! GREAT for the HOBBY!!! :banana:

LiPo Power
04-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Darin
I should be able to help you on this one and when I get the video in HD I will upload to verify your statement. I am sure MC will be somewhere on this video.... :w00t:

You don't need to worry about the MG in rough water, or traffic... Haven't seen a MC, but I've driven the piss out of the MG in all sorts of conditions and it's rock solid! Avatars don't make a good evaluation method, my friend! :thumbup1:

I can't wait until the MC gets out there to the masses and these boats start doing battle! Talk about an offshore BOOM!! GREAT for the HOBBY!!! :banana:

Darin Jordan
04-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Darin
I should be able to help you on this one and when I get the video in HD I will upload to verify your statement. I am sure MC will be somewhere on this video.... :w00t:

NICE! Can you give us a hint?? How was the battle???

My guess is, based on past experience, that the boats are going to be competitive, each with certain strengths and weaknesses, but ultimately coming down to setup and driving.

If that's the case, then life is good.

ron1950
04-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Good to know my avatar steared up the compotition. Looks like they are scard already lol

T.S.Davis
04-20-2011, 10:54 AM
I was talking about the photo not the avatar but your point is taken. Photos don't mean jack. The Spartan looks really cool. Have you driven one? I'll pass thank you.

Honestly the best assement is to drive one. You can feel it in your fingers if the boat works. When it's off you never feel like you can trust it. If that makes any sense.

Both these boats are going to be great for the hobby. They're like the result of the testing racing that went on with the the SV's, Blackjack's, and even the fastech to a degree. The fact that they're hitting the market around the same time will make it even better IMO.

Darin Jordan
04-20-2011, 11:09 AM
The fact that they're hitting the market around the same time will make it even better IMO.

I agree...

If you guys like these... just wait until you see what is on it's way next... and next after that! :spy:

Brushless55
04-20-2011, 11:45 AM
I agree...

If you guys like these... just wait until you see what is on it's way next... and next after that! :spy:

I got 10bucks ready to hit your paypal for some info :spy:
:roflol:

spence72
04-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Has anyone run one in an 8 boat heat for 4 minutes with the left?

Ahh...race water...the ultimate challenge for an FE boat.

The MG has spent many hours in my secret laboratory and test pond these last couple of weeks. This boat has lots of potential.

I can't wait to run with another half dozen boats and see what she can do! If we can get this wind to calm down in Michigan, maybe we can have a boat race.

Bob

Doby
04-20-2011, 12:06 PM
NICE! Can you give us a hint?? How was the battle???

My guess is, based on past experience, that the boats are going to be competitive, each with certain strengths and weaknesses, but ultimately coming down to setup and driving.

If that's the case, then life is good.

The battle never happened....60 km hour winds and wet snow/rainshowers all day...we cancelled it the night before.....but now what if Roberts MG beats my MC.....and Robert has a UL-1 motor in his MG...AQ parts in a Proboat...whats the world coming to:eek:

T.S.Davis
04-20-2011, 12:57 PM
The MG has spent many hours in my secret laboratory and test pond these last couple of weeks. This boat has lots of potential.

For the record, Bob has the best running SV I've seen nationals or otherwise. Can't wait to see how you're doing with the MG Bob.

I have a new combo to throw at you guys too. Old boat - super stable - new approach. Should make for some really interesting heats this summer. If summer ever comes. One of the local ponds had a fresh layer of ice on it Monday morning. UGHHHH!

I think it's great that there are multiple mass production companies even attempting to market boats that are more than toys. Well......they're still toys......you all know what I mean.

LiPo Power
04-20-2011, 06:24 PM
The battle never happened ...but it will.... In HD

Robert has a UL-1 motor... Robert has an UL-1 motor... :blah:

Install one too and stop being a whiner... :tt2:
And hay, to be within the rules I can use BJ motor, sv motor, ul-1 motor, the choice is mine....
The trick to beat you up is my secret prop.....:w00t:
And, my boat is also NICE.... Without any health risk product advertising...

The battle never happened....60 km hour winds and wet snow/rainshowers all day...we cancelled it the night before.....but now what if Roberts MG beats my MC.....and Robert has a UL-1 motor in his MG...AQ parts in a Proboat...whats the world coming to:eek:

Doby
04-20-2011, 06:59 PM
At least there's no sexually ambivilent reptlie on the deck.

johnf
04-20-2011, 08:45 PM
At least there's no sexually ambivilent reptlie on the deck.

Lmao!

rcboat
04-20-2011, 09:13 PM
lOOKING at both of these cats but is still undecided. feedback will be appreciated
.:help:

go with the mg i have one and its bad ass love it. modified it with a 2200 kv creation.
best ever...:banana:

TheShaughnessy
04-21-2011, 11:59 PM

Just had my MG out in some wind and chop the other day. I like running 4s2p because it seems like it settles the boat down a bit.

I also ran some nanotech 2s1p x 2 in series to see what would happen with less weight. She didn't disappoint. I was railing corners harder then I've ever tried to before and it just hooked and was solid as a rock. Got loose once coming on the throttle but it wasn't much.

I can't say the boat is out of the box though. I do have an aquacraft motor in it, but from what Darin told me the stock 1500 can swing a pretty big prop if you mod it a little. think he said something like an x447/3. I have an m445 on it now and it seems to work well, but I don't know much about props past getting them balanced.

On the other hand i did see a video of the MC in what look and sound like windy conditions and it looked solid as well.

gzee
01-02-2012, 04:54 PM
I know thread is old but has anyone now compared the MC to the Mystic looking to get one of them but can't decide or find up to date ratings.

T.S.Davis
01-02-2012, 06:38 PM
They're both good boats. I raced a Geico all summer. Love the way it handles but I still can't say that either is head and shoulders better than the other. Speeds are very similar. You could look at the laps in our club but there are lot of factors that effect the totals on the season. Water, wind, attrition, etc. I have to give the Geico and Mystic get my vote.....today. I haven't personally spent any time working on a Motley.

gzee
01-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the info all you keep hearing are complaints about the MC as far as finish and shaft.i have 2 SV's but have not had a pro boat yet.Have to wait for the ponds to thaw so still have some time to decide .

T.S.Davis
01-04-2012, 08:33 AM
It's a price point thing on both of these. You kinda have to accept them for what they are. They're both reasonably priced entry level offerings that can get you on the water having fun quickly. Glass might not be perfect. AlignmentYep, have to fiddle with them if you want a little extra out of them.

Both those boats have attributes I like. The MC has a tub inside the boat that makes it easy to seal and keep clean. The Geico/Mystic both have a framework installed that keeps it rigid. Geico slides through the turns once you get the strut and CG close to where it needs to be. Realtively predictable too. It's that sliding turn that makes me lean towards the ProBoat. I think that the MC is capable of higher speeds in the straights than the Geico but I have no evidence. Just my hunch from watching them.

T.S.Davis
01-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Oh, also. The glass issues aren't exclusive to Aquacraft either. The seem where the top meets the bottom mold on a Geico is a weak point. As is the canopy itself. Normal use it's fine but if you crash all bets are off.

Again, price point. There's only so much either company can do before they price themselves out of buyers. I think most of the boats are fine. Then some slip through the manufacturing processes. Thanks to the internet you would think that every boat out of molds was crap. Few people start a thread saying "I've had zero problems. My equipment works exactly as described".

I do know this. There are reps from both companies that will put forth the extra effort to make sure you're satisfied. Within reason of course.

gzee
01-04-2012, 06:02 PM
You're right nothing is perfect. I guess thats why the call it a hobby.It would take the fun and frustration out of going to the pond with out having to make some adjustments and have everything work 100%.Well maybe the boys down south that can still run will run them both and compare notes.Like you said both seem to be good boats for the money.

siberianhusky
01-04-2012, 06:24 PM
The "new" version if the MC will be available soon according to a post I read from GrimRacer, they are supposed to have fixed the durability issues with the new one.
I would check out the new version for sure, I like the way mine runs but it has gotten pretty beat up from normal use, my SV is much older and has been used much harder but looks way better. If it came down to the old version VS a Mystic I think I would get the Mystic, I think it's a bit nicer shaped boat, better graphics IMO as well.

T.S.Davis
01-04-2012, 09:12 PM
I know it's no excuse for any build issues but the way cats re-enter the water when they flip or crash always seems more traumatic to me. The monos flip and maybe bounce on the deck before they come to a stop. Seems like every time a crash a cat it's disaster. Either there's a new crack or it's a yard sale? That's when you open the hatch and nothing is where it's used to be. Motor mount is broken free and the cells are smooshed up in the nose. I hate when that happens.

My last quality crash with my Geico broke the transom off the boat. O. F. F. OFF. Not the boats fault BTW. So I'm currently catless for the 2012 season. Blasphemy.

siberianhusky
01-04-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm currently building a H&M Drifter S for spec power, quite the difference in the hulls, also quite the difference in price. Hope the drifter handles ok, have a number of spec motors from 1500kv to 2030 so I can figure out what it likes best.

srislash
01-04-2012, 11:03 PM
My last quality crash with my Geico broke the transom off the boat. O. F. F. OFF. Not the boats fault BTW. So I'm currently catless for the 2012 season. Blasphemy.
I had one of those.Don't know how bad it was but here's my fix.http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?29419-Transom-fix

T.S.Davis
01-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Mine happened on race day so I fixed it on the fly with a LOT of CA. Raced the next heat. That broken trans cost me first place for the season. Bummer. The boat was so solid early in the season too.

Still debating fixing the hull. There are a couple new options I've been considering for LSO. Nothing confirmed though. Maybe I just fix the Geico and run that until the other ideas become available.

Darin Jordan
01-05-2012, 08:40 AM
This is the first I've seen of these transoms breaking... Is this something that happens under serious incident, or is it just happening??

T.S.Davis
01-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Darin, I appreciate you chiming in. My break was my fault. I mounted a rudder bracket to the part of the trans that isn't backed with wood. It finally broke off when I hit a fish or something. No way to account for that kind of nonsense. haha You guys warrant that kind of damage right?