PDA

View Full Version : Tacon 1700 KV problem

dmwilson09
04-13-2011, 09:27 AM
I recently purchased the Tacon 3674 1700 KV motor to run with my stock spartan esc. When reving the motor to full throttle, the motor sounded like it was hitting a rev limiter. I connected my other two motors (a spartan motor and a feigao motor) to the esc, and they ran normal. I have had this problem before with the stock spartan motor, but that was after the motor overheated and de-magnetized. Do you think this motor came de-magnetized or do 4 pole motors not work well with the stock esc.

Diesel6401
04-13-2011, 01:20 PM
I recently purchased the Tacon 3674 1700 KV motor to run with my stock spartan esc. When reving the motor to full throttle, the motor sounded like it was hitting a rev limiter. I connected my other two motors (a spartan motor and a feigao motor) to the esc, and they ran normal. I have had this problem before with the stock spartan motor, but that was after the motor overheated and de-magnetized. Do you think this motor came de-magnetized or do 4 pole motors not work well with the stock esc.

Your never suppose to run a motor a full throttle on the bench. It is terrible for the motor and can damage it. Run the motor in the boat, it needs a load on it (water load) and as long as you didn't burn it out on the bench it should be fine, take the front plate off and check the rotor & everything for damage. JMO

dmwilson09
04-13-2011, 02:28 PM
I understand that and I did it for testing reasons only. My question is why is it doing that. My other two motors do not do this. Is this motor faulty?

dag-nabit
04-13-2011, 03:39 PM
I understand that and I did it for testing reasons only. My question is why is it doing that. My other two motors do not do this. Is this motor faulty?

Hard to say, but given the history of the stock ESC, I would feel compelled to look there first.

Kevin

Fluid
04-13-2011, 03:44 PM
I understand that and I did it for testing reasons only. You knew that what you did could damage the motor - but you did it anyway?? :confused1:

It is tough to tell what is wrong when you buy cheap products. Assuming that nothing is wrong with the motor, it could be that the ESC cannot produce enough pulses for a 4-pole motor. If the ESC limit with a 2-pole motor is 60,000 rpm, then the max for a 4-pole motor would be 30,000 rpm.

Diesel6401
04-13-2011, 03:45 PM
I would try it and run it. I think it needs to have a load... imho (Fluid has forgotten more then I ever knew so he could be dead on with the esc pulse issue)

The tacon's are re-badged leopard which a good motor imho...

Like Jay said, I'm not sure why if u knew u could damage it u still would run it on the bench wot. Very possible that u could have killed the motor doing so.

Jeff Wohlt
04-13-2011, 04:00 PM
It has been mentioned that different ESCs react differently. I hear some say the same and then they try another ESC and see increase in RPMs and smoother and cooler. All has to do with good programming of the ESC and decent parts...I doubt Traxxas is cutting edge on ESCs.

I would think you need a better ESC anyway...grab a T180 from OSE and you will be better off. Easy to program as well.

I do not believe a cheap motor is the issue. They are good motors but also can be like lipos...some come in bad. For the money the Talcon and Leopards can't be beat.

Fiegos are cheap yet they do (did) pretty well.

Fluid
04-13-2011, 06:28 PM
The tacon's are re-badged leopard which a good motor imho..
The Leopards are pretty good motors, but the Tacons? I do not believe they are just re-badged Leopards. The price differential is just too great, I am sure that they use cut-rate parts like cheaper bearing, magnets, wire, etc. to meet the price point.

Cheap does not mean the same thing as value.

dana
04-13-2011, 06:38 PM
i would hate to think my nice leopard is no different than a tacon, considering i spent 100 bux on it. and it was well spent money, its a great motor. i agree with diesel, try running it.

Jeff Wohlt
04-13-2011, 10:36 PM
I would agree...talcons could be similar but not a true leopard. I just doubt a talcon can be pushed as hard...for geared cars or trucks they probably r decent.