PDA

View Full Version : Changing connectors

ekaser
04-12-2011, 12:24 PM
I currently have the stock dean connectors in my MG. I want to change to 4s lipos wired in parallel. Do I need to change the connectors? Do I plug the harness into just one of the esc connectors?

Thanks, Ed

dag-nabit
04-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Your Deans connectors will be fine.

I'm not familiar with the MG, but assume from your post you are currently running 2 qty 2S batteries in series.

If you want to run 2 qty 4S in parallel, you will have to change your series wiring harness on the ESC to a parallel configuration.

Kevin

ekaser
04-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks Kevin for the information. I realized that after I asked the question I should have known that I need to change the wiring harness to the ESC. I am glad to know that the deans are ok.

Ed

JimClark
04-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Personally I would change them out to 5.5 bullets or the EC-5 connectors
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/prodimages/EFLAEC503_medium.jpg

Diegoboy
04-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Thread moved

jac4412
04-12-2011, 09:47 PM
ek,

For the stock setup the deans connectors will be fine. Deans will begin to get hot after continued use as they wear down and create more resistance. It's all about resistance... higher the resistance=more heat=bad bad.

Like Jim said, eventually you should switch to some 5.5 connectors on the batteries and consider upgrading the ones on the motor. The stock setup, as is, taken care of correctly will be fine with the deans, but again the smart move is to upgrade is that it will reduce heat and wear on the boat. If you decide to run at 5s or 6s you'll definitely need to upgrade from deans. Typically deans are grade for low power settings, not high power runs, especially in a boat system which really taxes all of its parts.