PDA

View Full Version : 42" Cat build

Blackjack-sven
04-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Want to make a very fast cat. The hull is the Genesis from Hobby King and runs great with its stock setup (knock on wood), but I want to get as much speed out of her as possible. My buddy has been egging me on in regards to a race and I just broke down and ordered a 1600kv motor, 80HV esc, and two 5s1p 4000mah 50c batteries (series). I also have the intention of running an Octura m430 prop.

Does anyone see problems with this setup?

Criticisim is welcome but don't bother with rants and raves cause I know it may all go wrong.

RandyatBBY
04-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Want to make a very fast cat. The hull is the Genesis from Hobby King and runs great with its stock setup (knock on wood), but I want to get as much speed out of her as possible. My buddy has been egging me on in regards to a race and I just broke down and ordered a 1600kv motor, 80HV esc, and two 5s1p 4000mah 50c batteries (series). I also have the intention of running an Octura m430 prop.

Does anyone see problems with this setup?

Criticisim is welcome but don't bother with rants and raves cause I know it may all go wrong.
We need a little more info on the motor. How many poles and size?

I feel ya about the Criticisim is welcome but don't bother with rants and raves:ThumbsDown01:

tiqueman
04-09-2011, 03:53 PM
I ran the Leopard 1600KV using an M440 on 6S and it pulled 110A max. So Id think the 80A would handle it. I could have run a lot more prop on it but was happy w/ cold temperatures and my Amp draw. A 430 seems like it would be a very small prop though. In my mind, Id think maybe a higher amp rated esc may give you more head room and things to do, ie 6S. But again, Im not familiar w/ how the HV controllers handle amp draw.. Id think the same as a LV.

Also, if Im reading it correctly you already have the hull, but if not, dont be suprised when it shows up 36" long and not 42. :beerchug:

Fluid
04-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I won't rant, but there is LOT wrong with your plans. I will try to help.

First, a 30mm prop will never move this hull to any reasonable speed. This boat requires a larger thrust cone.

Second, you cannot run a 1600 Kv motor on 10S. That is nearly 60,000 rpm - totally worthless.

Third, an 80 amp controller is seldom suitable for 10S FE setups, especially in larger boats.

The first thing you need to do is decide what you want the boat to do. Simply throwing power at it will not meet your goals but will empty your wallet.

- what speed do you want?
- What run time is acceptable?
- how much $$$ are you willing to spend?

Unfortunately you should have asked for guidance here first, before ordering those inappropriate components. Until you do some real planning you will only waste your $$$ without the satisfaction of a fast, reliable boat. Tell us your goals and then we can be of REAL help.

tiqueman
04-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Yeah I definitley missed the (series) part. Thats not a recommended set up at all..... 5S2P will be decent, but 10S, as Fluid stated is a very bad idea.

Blackjack-sven
04-09-2011, 07:32 PM
k well its a hk motor, so pole wise I have no Idea but believe it to be a 4 pole motor. if I run a 5s2p batt system what would I need to hit the 80mph mark?

What is the rpm range I want to keep the motor in? I'm only looking for 4-5 min run times and I dont mind if the electronics are warm to very warm after the run.

Jacked1
04-09-2011, 07:51 PM
If it is this motor..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4937
or any of the heli motors that are 1600kv that they sell you won't come close to that speed.

And you should try to keep under 40,000rpm with any motor unless you are willing to change the bearings a lot and if it is the KB-45 then keep under 30,000 and change the bearings from the start.

tiqueman
04-09-2011, 08:00 PM
80mph w/ 18.5 volts would take one heck of an esc. I think its quite unrealistic. Youd pull more than 300A on a ?? motor and probably not even be at 70mph. I feel you need to re-think this entire set up or, go twins if you want that kind of speed and keep easier on your components.

Rpm range for your application I think would be in the mid 30k range, but would get you know where near 80 on 5S and a 1600KV motor.

Maybe a 240A HV, a Neu - low KV motor, and 10S? Then, is that hull going to handle it, Id say no. I had one, it didnt like any prop larger than a 42mm before it would almost torque roll itself over. Twins would help the torque issue.

siberianhusky
04-09-2011, 08:03 PM
About 1500$ later and learning how to set up a boat then you might be getting close 80!
Thats a pretty lofty goal for somebody with no experience!
There is a lot more than just power required to get a boat to those speeds.
Take a look a Neu or Castle motors, thats more the quality you need.
That esc will not do it by a long shot. Also your looking at one or two passes at those speeds not 4+ minutes!
Seriously drop your goal by about 30-40mph and start learning from there, it will cost you far far less in the long run.
I'm also not sure if that hull would survive a crack up at those speeds, try tossing it out a car window at 80, thats about what hitting the water will be like!
Take a look at the MHZ hulls they are strong and known to go fast. The Skater or Danger zone are nice 290-430$ for the bare hull. Skater is 39", Danger Zone 43".

Blackjack-sven
04-09-2011, 08:07 PM
@ Jacked1. yes it is that exact motor.

So what if I ran twin 1600kv motors, 5s2p, with 80amp esc's???

tiqueman
04-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Still not enough esc. I run a 45" HPR cat, twin Castle 1520s, on 6S each side, non modded 447s I run almost 80. Im using Ettis 150 esc and they are not going to last long. I have not yet logged it to see what amperage Im pulling but they come in pretty wamr after a 2 min run.

My twin HOTR runs Feigao 10XLs, which are in the 1600kv ballpark, that boat ran 70 and pulled 90A per side. I used 120A controllers in it and also ran 6S

Blackjack-sven
04-09-2011, 08:16 PM
@Tiqueman. I dont have that kind of money kicking around which is why im staying in the hobbyking market.

this is the esc thats on its way over.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8945

tiqueman
04-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Dont take this as being a smat a$$, but then your not going to hit 80mph. There are less expensive ways to do it, but you will still have hundreds and hundreds into it. And, in my opinion, thats not the hull to do it in. Youd need to reinforce the heck out of it and even at that, it doesnot corner well at anything above 40, so your strictly to a SAW boat, almost stopping to turn around at each end. If thats what your looking for, thats fine, just letting you know.

Mudl did a less expensive build w/ his and reached 80. Theres also a couple other members who have done it, I believe using Scorpion outrunners and Turnigy 180 escs?

I "budget built" my twin HOTR and still had over $700 in it.

Blackjack-sven
04-09-2011, 08:28 PM
700 for the whole shibang I can deal with. 700 for just esc's on the other hand.....no thank you

tiqueman
04-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Mind you that was w/ me doing A LOT of custom work, making parts etc and I had some things to put in it. Etti 150s go for 150, so your 3 into it for controllers, T-180s are $80, so 160 in controllers. I believe OSE and Fightercat both have the Seaking (same as Turnigy) for competitive prices and cheaper shipping. Bill34207 is running a pair of the 180s on a twin set up in a 60" twin cat, big neu motors and running 6S2P per side. Its a 22+ pound beast and runs mid/ upper 60s. He had to add cap banks, just lettn you know they may handle the demand of what you want to do for low cost.

Blackjack-sven
04-09-2011, 09:50 PM
What do you mean by custom work? I'll be reinforcing the hull with carbon fiber and custom making a rudder.
and what if I changed the setup to 8s, 1600kv, 80hv esc? should spin 47360 rpm (17000rpm more than stock) and with an x445 should put it into the 80mph zone without much amperage to the esc

tiqueman
04-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Built motor mounts, batery trays, bulkhead, transom doublers, carboned hull, servo mount, stinger mods, etc. 47k is waaay too much rpm. You need to stay under 40, really IMO under 37, and no, you will be pulling over 200A w/ that set up. I feel your waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of your league on this. We are giving you suggestions on what yo can and cant do and you keep coming back w. un-realistic set ups. Theres much to be learned, as Fluid, Siberian and Jacked have all said, its much more than just throwing a motor and an esc and a couple batteries into it. Theres a lot to calculate, a lot to learn and most of all, listining to experienced OSE members trying to guide towards good set ups and away from poor set up options. Get off the 80A HV, it in no way at all will work for what you are trying to accomplish.. I dont know how else to say it. I dont know how your figuring your amp draws? If I told you I pulled 90A on 6S, w/ a Feigao 10XL (about 1600KV) and used a 442 prop, eagle tree data logged, not guessing here, how can 8S on almost the same set up pull less amps w/ a 445????? Please, do research, read build threads, OR, set it up as to what you think its going to do, and send us pics of how bad it burned.. IF you get it back.

DV8ion
04-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Can't wait to see what happens next. :Sinking:

Blackjack-sven
04-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Whats the fastest setup you guys can put together from hobby king stuff?

Btw: the kb45 motor is rated at 36 volts. So I don't see why it couldn't handle 8s, and if I prop accordingly the esc should be fine as well. if theres a problem with that explain in detail.

Igoreski
04-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Sometimes the fastest set up leads to adrenalin rush followed up by boat recovery.So read much and purchase parts after you know what will reach your goals.

LarrysDrifter
04-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Do not run KB motors. They get very hot very fast and are one of the most unreliable motors you can buy.

RandyatBBY
04-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Do not run KB motors. They get very hot very fast and are one of the most unreliable motors you can buy.

They will not take a big load, If you over prop to get big speeds they get hot and burn up they are capable of about 45MPH on 8S and not more. And that is only if you watch the temps and make sure the motor never gets over 130 degrees. I sold mine because I need a better motor. But my customer liked the price and understood it short comings.

Blackjack-sven
04-10-2011, 01:30 PM
so what hk motors are good? and i see no one has put a setup together yet.

BTW: My goal is to hit 80 on hk equipment in a hobby king Genesis hull on a single system, not twins yet.

Jacked1
04-10-2011, 01:37 PM
If you want to use the 80hv the best cheep motor in my opinion would be the T600 880kv outrunner or the H3740 910kv 600 heli motor on 10s-11s but i would think you wouldn't be able to go very far past 50mph.

Blackjack-sven
04-10-2011, 05:47 PM
what motor kv, and battery combo would put me into the 80mph range?

tiqueman
04-10-2011, 06:17 PM
No one has any ideas b/c it cant reliably be done. Again, your goals are a bit unrealistic w/ what you want to work with. There are several options that would put you in the 50mph range, youre not going to find 80 doing a super low budget build, especially w/ one motor. Why cant you understand this??? Everyone on here is telling you the same thing.

Buy the china stuff to go w/ your 80A HV, when you get it all, put it in your car, go to the interstate and do 80. Thats the only way its going to get there.

I think Jackeds idea is about the best and would remain reliable, that you are going to find. Outrunners are nice as well b/c they can get some serious torque behind them. They sound mean too. Id go w/ that set up and be happy w/ it until you can pour money into it and build it twin to try and reach your goal.

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 06:36 PM
take your time and get your stuff coz at least that will give you a mock up. Some of us dont know what a budget is But I do. My 1200 dollar a month house note comes before an rc boat but you can still have fun. I think you can get close to 50 with t 600's or twin kbs you might even want to look at a pair of feigao 9xl's and x645's You should definately get the t180 escs they will carry you even when u get better motors? Some of the more friendlies will help you get where you want to go. You can look at some 1717's or maybe one nice single that definately cheaper way to go. But im with you on the budget thing. Hobby king aint the only place either look on ebay too. 50 mph is FE i remember when nitros struggled to do 50. Good luck my friend.We all had to start somewhere . To be quite honest some wont say it but they started out with higher goals and less money than u so do ya thing pimpin.Need anything pm me!:thumbup1:

Blackjack-sven
04-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanx TotalPackage, at least someone knows how to talk on this board. Everyone else seems to think that if your not a pro by the time you get here, you should be driving a tyco toy.

What do you think can be done with what I have on order from hk?

2x 4000 5s1p batts
1x 80hv esc
1x 1600kv kb motor

I also have.........
1x 6xl feigao
2x 8xl 1 feigao 1 hk
1x proboat 1500kv

and a barrage of different batts and a few choices of props but I can just buy props as I need them.

Howard Lee
04-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Its not my thing to jump and give advise but i can help you and put you at the top. You have some good guys give you advice but i like to go a different direction. I like high rpm,s but nothing from hk. If your looking to hit the 80s you need high rpm and a good setup. :smile:

Blackjack-sven
04-10-2011, 06:57 PM
what are you thinking? what do you mean by a good setup?

Howard Lee
04-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Go with 1 motor a leo 4082 1500kv. Not trying to post my vid on ur thread but check this out. Its running 86 or 87 mph. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AgmXP0QM1o

Blackjack-sven
04-10-2011, 07:10 PM
What amps would that pull and what batts are we talking about there?

keithbradley
04-10-2011, 07:14 PM
If you do twins it can be done with HK stuff.:thumbup1:

keithbradley
04-10-2011, 07:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3KCKjPuZkc

I will be doing a similar setup on mine, but with better parts. 1300kv outrunners/8s1p/2x120A ICE HV controllers

Blackjack-sven
04-10-2011, 07:25 PM
thats exactly where i took my setup from. Only difference is that I'll be using a prop thats 10 mm smaller, a slightly faster motor and i was gonna go 10s cause i figure Mudl had lower rpm with a big prop whereas I'd have high rpm small prop.

keithbradley
04-10-2011, 07:41 PM
thats exactly where i took my setup from. Only difference is that I'll be using a prop thats 10 mm smaller, a slightly faster motor and i was gonna go 10s cause i figure Mudl had lower rpm with a big prop whereas I'd have high rpm small prop.

The x430 prop is a 30mm prop with 1.4 pitch. That would be 20mm smaller, and would just net you a whole lot of cavitation. Im guessing that KB motor at that RPM is going to draw a ton of current regardless of what prop you put on it. To go the speeds you want to go, you are going to need to draw a few hundred amps. There are plenty of people on here that will tell you how fast they have gone but they cant tell you what their current draw is unless they have logged it. You surely wont do it at 80A in a single setup. Mudl was probably pulling a lot more than 80A out of his ESCs but pushed the limits to see what they could do. For every one person who has ran xxx setup adn went xxmph, there a bunch more who fried their stuff with a milder setup. A lot of it is just luck of the draw and the matter in which you run your boat.

You won't get more RPM out of outrunners. I think he had to be right at the top of the RPM range for outrunners there. The design of ourunners makes them terribly inefficient at higher RPMs, and teh ESC simply cant keep up. Running an 8 pole motor at 40,000RPMs is equivelant to running a 4 pole inrunner at 80,000RPMs. If you want to go fast with hobbyking parts, I would suggest copying his setup but run smaller props, like x442's to keep all the magic smoke in your electronics.

Blackjack-sven
04-10-2011, 07:44 PM
how do I know how many poles a motor has?

keithbradley
04-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Its hard to tell when you get them from places like HK. If you use higher quality motors they usually list it in their specs. I think the KB motor you linked is a 2 pole and the outrunners in that vid are 8 pole.
FYI- the cheaper motors like HK or even Feigaos dont do well with high RPM in my experience.

Howard Lee
04-10-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm waiting to see a lot of guys copy mudl and never see 87, maybe if they are lucky 77. lol

keithbradley
04-10-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm waiting to see a lot of guys copy mudl and never see 87, maybe if they are lucky 77. lol

Why would you be waiting for that? I dont get it :confused1:

tiqueman
04-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanx TotalPackage, at least someone knows how to talk on this board. Everyone else seems to think that if your not a pro by the time you get here, you should be driving a tyco toy.

2x 4000 5s1p batts
1x 80hv esc
1x 1600kv kb motor

I also have.........
1x 6xl feigao
2x 8xl 1 feigao 1 hk
1x proboat 1500kv

and a barrage of different batts and a few choices of props but I can just buy props as I need them.

The experienced ones are far from trying to say you should be driving a tyco or not up to par for the boards. We all started not knowing much if anything at all. Were just trying to help you to understand what can and cant be done. Too many people have done hot set ups, blown up thier stuff, lost most of thier "low budget" because it all burnt and then theyre gone forever and we never hear from them again. OR, they start saying how crappy this or that component is when in actuallity they are very well built and if taken care of and set up w/ in thier means will last a very long time. Thats all were trying to do for you, but you seem to want to take it as we are dissing on you and crapping on your project. Your asking for gold wanting to pay for plastic. But, if you cant take advice, then oh well. Why did you ask if you know it all. Some of us who have done what your trying to do and been in your shoes who know what can and cant happen, I guess we are just retards and our experience doesnnt mean tihs to you. Know ones ever pissed me off until you. Thanks,. Im done trying to give advice and help w/ your thread. Good luck.

Jacked1
04-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Castle 1717 on 8s and a http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12442 . A little under $300 for esc and motor and you would hit 80 with the right prop.

keithbradley
04-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Whats the fastest setup you guys can put together from hobby king stuff?

Btw: the kb45 motor is rated at 36 volts. So I don't see why it couldn't handle 8s, and if I prop accordingly the esc should be fine as well. if theres a problem with that explain in detail.

I will explain this, and you can choose to beleive me or not.:thumbup1:

That motor will probably work on 36v, just not in your boat. Make sense?:beerchug:

The problem is the load. The faster you try to spin a prop, the more the load increases. Thats what tiq was getting at with giving you the info on his setups. I ran a 1600kv motor on 6s with a 45mm prop and it pulled about 170A. Obviously a 80A Esc wouldn't last under that load, and if you were to spin that motor on 8s you would probably be talking close to 250A-300A.

That motor is rated at 36v you say...what is the current rating? As long as you stay within the current ratings of the motor and ESC, it will indeed run on 36v. The problem is, you wont.

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Go with 1 motor a leo 4082 1500kv. Not trying to post my vid on ur thread but check this out. Its running 86 or 87 mph. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AgmXP0QM1o
The single setup will be cheaper and most definately easier setup. I never saw your c rating on your batteries but if its high enough u can get by with a 1 p setup. So as far as batteies you may already have that covered:Peace_Sign: As far as motors since none of the manufacturers sponser me I cant really call one over another but the leopard in howards boat does seem to be doing quite well in a hull of similar style and weight as yours. Youll have to ask howard the number of cells he thinks you can stfely set up the boat for heat racing. Im assuming thats what you want or do you want all out burst of speed?Anyway I agree that a single will be cheaper. Youll have to get a good hv like turnigy aquastar 240 on hk. If thats too much to ask for at this moment and you need to use what you already have. You may consider a gearbox for one of your XL motors
or you can go with your twin xl's

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 09:49 PM

2x 4000 5s1p batts
1x 80hv esc
1x 1600kv kb motor

I also have.........
1x 6xl feigao
2x 8xl 1 feigao 1 hk
1x proboat 1500kv

I see your 8xls arent matching that COULD be a problem I dont know but out of what you have if it were me id sell some of what you have or trade to get what you need if you could trade a motor to get a match then u might be headed in the right direction if u dont want to spend more money at this time get a match for the fiegao 6 or the 8 the 8 preferebly coz u can turn a bigger prop and safely run more cells but the 6 will be okay if that what you find. What you need is someoone to trade you an 8xl for the 6 or vice versa. Or sell out coz alot of what you have will sell in the swap shop.If you batteries are new id keep them then you could get your esc and leopard if thts the route you decide to take two 8xls on 5 s a piece with some 645 or 445 might get you going good as well. See you already have the batts all u need is one motor the 8xl u could technically try the mismatches if the kv is the same and see:unsure: but it will likely pull to one side a little .But at least youd be mocked up and ready for the matching feigao .
:beerchug:

My best advice is to look learn and listen and decide what works for you .You cant knock it till you try it. My advice is strickly in the persuit of giving you a fun boat for the dollars. Let me add this: 70 plus mph is approaching upper performance and will cost something u know it$ so naturally you may have to manuever some things in the swap shop to get what you want. Also maybe you should pm steve and tell him your situation privately and keep your business between you and Steve and get your leopard if thats what you want.

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 10:05 PM
I will explain this, and you can choose to beleive me or not.:thumbup1:

That motor will probably work on 36v, just not in your boat. Make sense?:beerchug:

The problem is the load. The faster you try to spin a prop, the more the load increases. Thats what tiq was getting at with giving you the info on his setups. I ran a 1600kv motor on 6s with a 45mm prop and it pulled about 170A. Obviously a 80A Esc wouldn't last under that load, and if you were to spin that motor on 8s you would probably be talking close to 250A-300A.

That motor is rated at 36v you say...what is the current rating? As long as you stay within the current ratings of the motor and ESC, it will indeed run on 36v. The problem is, you wont.

If were talking a 2-700 kv kb45 17xl @10 s would work quite nicely so I have to slightly disagree with KEITH coz a cat doesnt pull the amps a mono does there closer to hydros as slip is concerned so a member ran 1 kb45xl on a 646 3 blace with marginal temps and does wheelies with a 19 pound hydro: You look at it. Is this enough performance for you BLACKJACK 7? Its not 70 though. BUT FUN ALL DAY were talking 2 in your boat so lets be real. But here again a little more that a single in $ I think simply coz you have to have 2 esc's .

kb45 17xl performance here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2xfiCBaNas

Before you listen to anyone please investigate for yourself and see what will satisfy YOU!

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Heres and hk setup that might get it going
2 8xls or 2 kb 45xl motors 1600kv
2 200 amp hk esc's 29.00 a piece
your 2 5 s packs 1 each motor
two props between xseries props between 42 and 50 mm

keithbradley
04-10-2011, 10:17 PM
If were talking a 2-700 kv kb45 17xl @10 s would work quite nicely so I have to slightly disagree coz a cat doesnt pull the amps a mono does there closer to hydros as slip is concerned so a member ran 1 kb45xl on a 646 3 blace with marginal temps and does wheelies with a 19 pound hydro: You look at it is this enough performance for you? It not 70 though. BUT FUN ALL DAY we talking 2 in your boat so lets be real. But here again a little more that a single in $ I think simply coz you have to have 2 esc's .

kb45 17xl performance here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2xfiCBaNas

Before you listen to anyone please investigate for yourself and see what will satisfy YOU!

Dude I honestly can't make out most of what you're saying here.
Like I said, choose to beleive it or not. I have cats too, they're not majic. I may have used a mono as example of current draw because its the closest thing I had to his setup that was logged. If I wanted to bench-race and just make stuff up I would, but I was trying to provide REAL data to make a point.
It doesnt really matter, because that log was from my 34" PIP bittburger anyway, not a mono...:tongue_smilie:

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Dude I honestly can't make out most of what you're saying here.
Like I said, choose to beleive it or not. I have cats too, they're not majic. I may have used a mono as example of current draw because its the closest thing I had to his setup that was logged. If I wanted to bench-race and just make stuff up I would, but I was trying to provide REAL data to make a point.
It doesnt really matter, because that log was from my 34" PIP bittburger anyway, not a mono...:tongue_smilie:

Never addressed you as dude and if you cant understand clear english so sorry for you but anyway this is what I think My friend on your boat. The debate between me and Keith is truly irrelevant you see the video for itself I didnt create it through "MAGIC" either :laugh:

How do you address what you cant make out?:noidea:

Blackjack-sven
04-10-2011, 10:40 PM
tiqueman, if you were just more diplomatic like Totalpackage and explained in more detail like he does, I'd not only listen, but also pass on your knowledge to the next beginner.

tiqueman
04-10-2011, 10:52 PM
How much more clear could I have been telling you EXACTLY what my set ups were and what they ran and what you could expect using similar ideas? You kept coming back w/ your 80A HV and I explained several times why your set up wouldnt work as it would pull too many amps.. I told you how it would pull ridiculous amps on large props and theyd have to be small like your buddys 30mm prop. What diiferent could I have done???? I was extrememly "diplomatic" about the issue. I didnt come on here as some would and call you an idiot and do nothing but bash your set up ideas that are so far off. I tried to help. YOU are the one who didnt want to hear my advice and kpt coming back w/ the same thing. It doesnt matter to me anymore, do what you wish. I hope you get it to run as youd like w/ minimal issues and minimal wasted equipment. Im sorry for trying to help.

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Please yall every newb goes through stuff on here can we welcome people with positivity please? To be honest this is steves forum none of us own it.

Not directed to anyone in particular just remeinding everyone this is supposed to be fun right? ITS JUST RC BOATS.

tiqueman
04-10-2011, 11:00 PM
If thats regarding anything Ive said, please read my forst SEVERAL posts in this thread. I tried, but some people are too new to listen I guess as well. MOST, newbs listen and will come back w/ a why? or well, if it wont do this what will it do. Not keep coming back w/ the same unrealistic options and not listening to one bit of advise. You (total package) read my posts and tell me how I wasnt helpful or welcoming.

Some seem they just cant be helped, they will blow thier stuff up and go back to crawlers or whatever they started with.....

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Turnigy HV 80 on kb45

now that we got that clear lets move on

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Sir u didnt give me time to edit coz i knew u would think i was refering to you TM ive never said anything against u . So please read my edit which was posted before your response sir.

keithbradley
tiqueman, if you were just more diplomatic like Totalpackage and explained in more detail like he does, I'd not only listen, but also pass on your knowledge to the next beginner.

I gotta say dude (hope youre not offended by that.lol...I call my kid that too so its not a putdown), there are a lot of people who can be a-holes on here, but Ive never seen tiqueman be one. I didnt read the entire thread so I dont know what was said but he has always been nice, humble, and very knowledgable in the posts I have read. Im not a fanboy and I dont "pick" which members I want to back. I have no affiliation with him, dont know his real name, probably never really shared words with him on here, ect. Im just saying whatever happened I think you got the wrong impression of him.
Other people might seem more diplomatic, but it might just seem that way because they dont really have enough real world experience to tell you what is and what is not going to work. (Im speaking in general here, not about anyone specificly.) Tiqueman probably does, and he probably has more than I do as well, but I can tell you for certain that you wont be going 80mph at a 80A draw. HV is great to keep current draw down, but only if the kv is lower.

tiqueman
Exaclty!!! thanks for the pic TP. Doesnt get more clear than that. :beerchug:

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Sevn you can look at the max usable ampdraw a motor can run and rougly estimate if an esc can handle it. WE myself included sometime do stupid things like try to do it anyway and there is the result tried and true FAILURE. Look at some of the suggested setups and see what you think.

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Most of them are on youtube in video not just my suggestion which ISNT the best one its just one.

tiqueman
04-10-2011, 11:11 PM
I gotta say dude (hope youre not offended by that.lol...I call my kid that too so its not a putdown), there are a lot of people who can be a-holes on here, but Ive never seen tiqueman be one. I didnt read the entire thread so I dont know what was said but he has always been nice, humble, and very knowledgable in the posts I have read. Im not a fanboy and I dont "pick" which members I want to back. I have no affiliation with him, dont know his real name, probably never really shared words with him on here, ect. Im just saying whatever happened I think you got the wrong impression of him.
Other people might seem more diplomatic, but it might just seem that way because they dont really have enough real world experience to tell you what is and what is not going to work. (Im speaking in general here, not about anyone specificly.) Tiqueman probably does, and he probably has more than I do as well, but I can tell you for certain that you wont be going 80mph at a 80A draw. HV is great to keep current draw down, but only if the kv is lower.

Thanks Keith, I appreciate the kind words. And I know you werent refering to anyone specific, but for the record, I do have experience, 16 boats, electric, not one under 40, 3 above 60, one approaching the 80 mark let alone my 25+ years experience in RC in general. Im not at all saying I know it all in the FE world, as Im sure I dont know half of it. But I do know what I have, I put hours and hours upon days, weeks and months, into research on my high performance set ups. I too had to ask questions and absorbed as much as possible before pulling the wallet out. Anyway, this isnt about me. I just thought giving info on my personal set ups would be a good example of whats happening, what amps are being pulled, esc, props etc etc to get a base of what to expect. But, as we all know, thats not diplomatic enough. :doh:

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 11:12 PM
If this isnt real world experience I dont know what is

:

Mr Bradley just so you know Ive been model boating for over 20 years rc modeling for over 30 not tyco the real deal and im learning from "newbs" sometimes.:eek:
My circus(active canards) im building now was brought in 1990 for example

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Peoples first Boat means alot to them if you were like me. So we are ultra sensitive to people say about it per se. All this chatter being irrelevant can we help this man get his boat running?

Blackjack-sven
04-10-2011, 11:18 PM
So considering I have the 2 4000mah 50c 5s1p batteries, a 1600kv motor, and an 80hv esc coming my way what would be the biggest prop i could use to keep the amps in the esc's means? Cause as it sits right now the motor can handle up to 36v and my batts if kept in parallel will be far under that voltage. the amp draw is then dependant on the size and pitch of prop right?

I was thinking an m430

DV8ion
04-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Sven, why do you want to run 80 ? I say stick the the 50's and you will be happy (as will your boat). Champaign dreams on a beer budget. LOL Just teasing ya. Catch me if you can :tongue_smilie: and I'm not using my boat to push yours back in. :tongue_smilie:

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 11:22 PM
the 1600 kv motor;what make is it?

DV8ion
04-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Pretty sure he is wanting to run the KB45 8XL from HK

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 11:29 PM
OK single 5 s2p start with a 645 but the guys are right u not gonna be able to get around that 80 hv anything more than 1 min 2min all out id be scared of. If you drive it stop and go stop and go:flashfire: your rms power on that turnigy is lower than 80 and your max draw on you kb is higher than 98 amps just do the math. Its not safe at all.

tiqueman
04-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Sven, another great tool that you could download on here is FeCalc. If you do not have it, I suggest downloading it. You can plug in different motors and most of the time if it doesn not have your specific motor on it, you can find one w/ similar ratings and stats, select prop, etc and it will calculate a speed and amp draw estimate. So far Ive found it very useful and its been suprisingly accurate. If you do not have it, I or someone can find the link to the dowload. Most importantly for what info you just gave us, as TP asked, what motor is it. As said previously by whom ever it was, just because a motor can handle 36V, the esc must be able to handle the amps its gong to draw as does the motor. You are on the right idea about swinging a smaller prop, but also as said by Fluid I think it was, earlier, a 30mm prop is too small a diameter for a almost 37" boat. That being said, you must use a higher rated esc that will allow for more prop, which will cause more load which in turn is more amperage.

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Sven you need to hit the swap shop hey let us see what you got take a pic TIQUE he could run a screamer something so big and slow it wouldnt draw anything he might do 40?
A t180 is damn near mandatory for a kb

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 11:48 PM
seriously though he could hit 50 with that kb and the right prop probably a x450-455 But you gotta let the 80HV go sorry :sad:If you running that kb it needs to be unshimed too

tiqueman
04-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Sven you need to hit the swap shop hey let us see what you got take a pic TIQUE he could run a screamer something so big and slow it wouldnt draw anything he might do 40?
A t180 is damn near mandatory for a kb

Im lost, take a pic of what? :confused1:

Oh wait, never mind, I put the mystery period in the wrong spot. It makes sense now.

TotalPackage
04-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Sorry I was askin Sven to show us his equipment

Blackjack-sven
04-11-2011, 07:07 AM
the equipment han't shown up yet. but you guys say I might hit 40??
My Genesis in this YT vid is already doing 40+ mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfdviE48euY

Blackjack-sven
04-11-2011, 07:15 AM
@TotalPackage
The equipment han't shown up yet. but you guys say I might hit 40??

Pretty sure he is wanting to run the KB45 8XL from HK

10xl. I already have two 8xls and a 6xl.

Blackjack-sven
04-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Sven, why do you want to run 80 ? I say stick the the 50's and you will be happy (as will your boat). Champaign dreams on a beer budget. LOL Just teasing ya. Catch me if you can :tongue_smilie: and I'm not using my boat to push yours back in. :tongue_smilie:

:blah: Your trying to push 80 as well bro. :banana:
:tongue_smilie:

TotalPackage
04-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Can we see video of your 80 mph setup with the equipment you have . I leave it in your hands to show us all that it can be done with mismatched brand 8xls and a 80 hv. Im done

Im waiting to see this:popcorn2:

DV8ion
04-11-2011, 07:43 AM
I'm not trying to hit 80. I'm happy if I see high 50's or even a peak into the 60's on the right prop.

tiqueman
04-11-2011, 10:27 AM
@TotalPackage
The equipment han't shown up yet. but you guys say I might hit 40??

10xl. I already have two 8xls and a 6xl.

W/ the equipment you have coming and using a 10XL, with the 430 prop your thinking of using, you will be less than 40mph. And you will pull hardly any amps at all (under 40A). You could go a bit larger on the prop to get above 40mph, but the closer you get to say a 40mm diameter, the closer yo will be to pulling over 80A. If you opted to put another $50 into it and get for example the 120A Turnigy esc, you could swing a larger prop such as a 442 and maybe get close to 50. It all depends on the efficiancy and power of the motor you are using.
Im getting this data from plugging numbers into FeCalc, as well as its similar to what I had at one point in my Genesis.

Now, on another note, for a single power plant, the XL, from first hand experience, I feel is too small a motor. Something w/ a bit more meet behind it will push it a bit more efficiently. When I ran mine w/ the stocker (approx 8XL) I could get it in the low 40s on 4S, but it came it pretty warm after a short run. Going to a Leopard 4074 size can helped a lot and at 55mph it would come in under 110F.

tiqueman
04-11-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm not trying to hit 80. I'm happy if I see high 50's or even a peak into the 60's on the right prop.

A club member is less than a mph from 60. His set up f.y.i., Genesis hull, Castle 1520, Turnigy 180 w/ extra caps, 6S, M445 prop. Its a little "torquey" w/ that size prop and developed some interesting characteristics, but it flat out hauls a$$. :thumbup1: Its identical to the set up I had in mine before I let it go, but I never worked up to that prop. I ran a 442, I think, and was in the mid 50s. 110A.

DV8ion
04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
My setup is a 32" cat, 4s2p 40c, Leopard 4074 2200kv, T180 esc and gonna start with a 442 prop

tiqueman
04-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Fantastic set up. You will be pleased w/ it. I dont think you will have to struggle too much to break 60.

LarrysDrifter
04-11-2011, 11:07 AM
This is one of the most interesting threads Ive read in a while. Im ready to hear about what happens with an improper set up done by someone who wont listen. This is going to be good.

tiqueman
04-11-2011, 11:26 AM
This is one of the most interesting threads Ive read in a while. Im ready to hear about what happens with an improper set up done by someone who wont listen. This is going to be good.

Dissapointment, followed by frustration, or vice versa... :Sinking:

DV8ion
04-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Fantastic set up. You will be pleased w/ it. I dont think you will have to struggle too much to break 60.

Thank you :thumbup1: If anyone is wondering why I am posting here. Sven is a buddy of mine and we plan on running together this season. And I know he is hell bent on going faster than me. He is just trying to do it on the cheap. As for his idea of 80mph on a budget HK stuff.....it won't happen IMO. I'd like to see him have a reliable boat so it is a more enjoyable outing, but to each their own.

tiqueman
04-11-2011, 12:47 PM
I have more fun running w/ friends w/ the same set up than I do w/ people running completely different options. It makes racing that much more enjoyable as well as really teaches you how to dial in and tune your boat. Plus, its fun to do work to your boat and the next time out, your 2 mph faster than he is, yet everything still "looks" the same. Its amazing what adjustments and prop tweaking will do.

siberianhusky
04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
LOL usually people are trying to spend their way past you! I honestly think this is the first time I've heard of somebody trying to cheap their way past!
I completely understand having a budget but most people accept the limitations imposed by the budget and try to build something as fast AND reliable as they can. The way I look at it if you're on a budget then replacing stuff isn't much of an option, and if not then why not spend the money right the first time?
There are two key things you can't buy set up experience and driving skill, they will beat you every time!

keithbradley
04-11-2011, 06:14 PM
If you are dead set on running the 80A HV ESC in a single drive setup, here's what I would reccomend to get you in the 60 mph range, on a very low budget:

*80A HV ESC

*Tacon 3674 1300kv inrunner (available at hobbypartz for less than $60...put a water jacket on it too)

* Sharpened and balanced m440 prop

*2 X 4s 45C lipo in series for 8s

This setup should get you pretty close to 60 and possibly work with a 80HV. You will definitely want to run loose to keep amp draw down, and you will be testing the limits of the esc. I run the same motor/prop on my 32" cat and it pulls a peak of 117A, and thats running pretty wet. I am also getting around 15 minute runtimes with 5000mah.:ohmy:

Blackjack-sven
04-11-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm not dead set on the 80hv, its just whats on its way from hk.
I'm more set in running 8s on a 1600 or 1500kv motor.
I'd rather see 35000 rpm and 60mph than 60000 rpm and 40mph

keithbradley
04-11-2011, 07:53 PM
1300kv on 8s will get you about 40,000RPM and 60mph with a m440 if set up properly.

I have a video of one of my boats with that exact setup but it was in 30 mph winds so the majority of the time was spent at light throttle.
I just told you 60mph on an 80A esc with 15 minute run times. Most people wont even believe those numbers. You will have a very hard time doing better than that!

If you want to run 8s on a 1500kv motor you are going to need a much better esc ($300 range for a cheap one) and a better motor. Even then you wil have a setup that can go up in flames at any time. Ever heard the saying "You got to pay if you wanna play"? If you want a cheap setup that will go fast, I posted one.

Blackjack-sven
04-11-2011, 07:56 PM
BTW: what would this setup pull amp wise?

7s, 1500kv, x447

Blackjack-sven
04-11-2011, 08:01 PM
I just told you 60mph on an 80A esc with 15 minute run times. Most people wont even believe those numbers. You will have a very hard time doing better than that!

Sorry missed that

keithbradley
04-11-2011, 08:04 PM
BTW: what would this setup pull amp wise?

7s, 1500kv, x447

~200-ish, if you set it up well, and it was a quality motor. Cheaper motors will pull more amps and then fail as the get further out of their acceptable range. You also have to have a motor that has the power to turn a x447 at that RPM, or it defeats the purpose. I dont see that kb motor doing it.

Blackjack-sven
04-11-2011, 08:08 PM
I know it may not be a great motor but its gotta be a better one. The 1500kv I have is a stock proboat one. Anything good about it?
And is there any decent setup I can do with a 6xl in a hull the size of the genesis?

BTW: I am taking in what everyone has to say so bear with me.

keithbradley
04-11-2011, 08:13 PM
The proboat motors are commonly used and pretty good motors. I would take on eover the kb motors. Neither motor will power your hull the way you want it to though. Thats just the way it is. If there were a setup any of us knew of to reach your goals with what you want to use, we would have already suggested it.

TotalPackage
04-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Keith please put your proboat in a 19 pound scale and see what it does:sinking-guy: if youd take that puny thing over a kb then youre truly biased real world wat u like huh? put a proboat in an 1/8th scale and see what it does.

keithbradley
04-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Keith please put your proboat in a 19 pound scale and see what it does:sinking-guy: if youd take that puny thing over a kb then youre truly biased real world wat u like huh? put a proboat in an 1/8th scale and see what it does.

What are you talking about? Why would I put a proboat motor in a 19 pound anything? I wouldnt run a 19 pound boat unless I could ride in it!:olleyes: I dont put little tiny motors in big boats, and I didnt reccomend that this guy do it. You clearly dont pay too much attention to my builds.

Here's my 50" mono, which didnt weight 19 lbs by the way, but would be the heaviest boat Ive built:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqPcnv_c__M

I would be delighted to see yours.

I gave this guy a setup that will do 60mph on a single 80A ESC, which I believe is pretty impressive. I know this setup will work because Ive ran it and datalogged it, not because I did a search on youtube. I am aware of how to make a boat run well and I am giving the best advice I can based on that. Someone asks me "which motor should I run? One that wont work for my goals, or a different one that wont work for my goals?" ...and you analyze whether or not they would work well in even bigger boats? What are you getting at my man?

I would take that proboat motor over a feigao too, and Im sure you can find LOTS of youtube vids with people running feigaos...you can even find some of mine if you look hard enough.

TotalPackage
04-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Ive already seen that youre the one talking youd take a proboat motor over a kb u get your proboat motor and ill stomp all over you with the kb and u know it so dont sit up here and feed us bs have you ever owned a kb personally yourself?

TotalPackage
04-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Bottom line sven If you want 80 in a genesis go with what howard recomended end of story . He has your boat and it does over 80 point blank but I wont sit here and let people feed you bs based on their biases for whatever reason. A proboat motor is about 2 hp the kb is about 4 you do the math.Anyone thats talking about a 40 inch boat and taking a proboat motor is cu cu . That motor not worth a mention in this discussion Both you fiegaos are better than that proboat the thing doenst have enough sheer mass to do anything with a boat that size and weight and a 30mm prop is even more pompass when u consider that what we run on boats under 25 inches. Sven if nothing else just go with the specs for starters.

"talking with no real world experience is useless as a member once said and fowarding spam spewed into his ear by other members is simply more spam"

TotalPackage
04-11-2011, 10:46 PM
A KB will push that boat all day
now if it wont put your money where your mouth is.

keithbradley
04-12-2011, 06:39 AM
Ive already seen that youre the one talking youd take a proboat motor over a kb u get your proboat motor and ill stomp all over you with the kb and u know it so dont sit up here and feed us bs have you ever owned a kb personally yourself?

This is the dumbest arguement Ive ever taken part in. Yes I've owned a kb motor, but it was years ago, before they became nearly obsolete. My value for those motors has nothing to do with how well they would push boats that are too large for them. One of those motors is still sold at OSE, the other isn't why do you think that is? You think kb is the FE secret that only HK has caught onto? I wonder why everyone else isnt running them?

For a guy who said "Im done" in this thread, you have put a lot of effort into clogging it up with nonsense. If you have something to bring to the table that can help the OP get closer to his goals, great. Its seems that you are more inclined to have a discusion about yourself, or argue about things no one else cares about. We understand...you like kb motors, and you are carrying an FE torch for Howard...got it.

Wanna argue about which is better, nihm or nicd? Or maybe we can have a discussion about coal fired steam engines versus wood fired...

TotalPackage
04-12-2011, 06:41 AM
This is the dumbest arguement Ive ever taken part in. Yes I've owned a kb motor, but it was years ago, before they became nearly obsolete. My value for those motors has nothing to do with how well they would push boats that are too large for them. One of those motors is still sold at OSE, the other isn't why do you think that is? You think kb is the FE secret that only HK has caught onto? I wonder why everyone else isnt running them?

For a guy who said "Im done" in this thread, you have put a lot of effort into clogging it up with nonsense. If you have something to bring to the table that can help the OP get closer to his goals, great. Its seems that you are more inclined to have a discusion about yourself, or argue about things no one else cares about. We understand...you like kb motors, and you are carrying an FE torch for Howard...got it.

Wanna argue about which is better, nihm or nicd? Or maybe we can have a discussion about coal fired steam engines versus wood fired...

like i said Id stomp all over you proboat motor with a kb . Duh I know its not a neu but its better than a proboat especially in this case and sorry sheer mass does play a part . As far as sales ose charges more for a 580 which is had its many share of issues too neither is an FE secret.

siberianhusky
04-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Give up on it Keith you tried!
You know the old saying about wrestling a pig right?

tiqueman
04-12-2011, 10:03 AM

lol I said Im done too, but, Nicd is the best, its all I run, oh and use Tamiya connectors, fire is great and my daddy can beat up your daddy... lol, my god this thread is un-real.

Seriously though Sven, Keith has a great, personally tested set up here. Certainly worth looking into.

like i said Id stomp all over you proboat motor with a kb . Duh I know its not a neu but its better than a proboat especially in this case and sorry sheer mass does play a part . As far as sales ose charges more for a 580 which is had its many share of issues too neither is an FE secret.

TP, I think what Keith was saying, I could be wrong, but motor to motor, perhaps quality wise, he prefers a PB. And know what, so do I. Theres 100 different motors out there that will"stomp all over" the PB 1500, and the KB is probably one of them and you know what, who the F cares, cuz theres 100more that will stomp a KB. And he wasnt suggesting puting it in a 19lb boat. Mass does play a part, and guess what, through personal trials, an XL size can is still too small for a Genesis hull. I said that earlier in the thread. BUt, If you built a genesis and it came out 19 lbs, well then I personally would love to take you up on your "stomping" contest.... :laugh: We are not on here to challenge eachother and certainly not on here to argue about which motor is better when neither one will work in this application, or work well for that matter. You ended up making your self, well, not look good there and 4 years old with your "stomping" comment. From a lot of your other threads Ive read, you seem intelegent. Cant we all just get along and try and help Sven w/ his unrealistic goals and at least get him as good as we can w/ out blowing his stuff up :doh: Keith is on to a set up that is possible, and has the personal experience of running that set up to know what its going to do. It doesnt get any better than that, even w/ a KB. :thumbup1:

This is the same type nonsense that withdrew mw from RCU.

DV8ion
04-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is a hot setup for a Genesis? I was thinking a 1717 on 6s with maybe a T180? but maybe have to go bigger cause isn't that the edge of the T180's limits? Or even a Leopard 4084. But then again I'm sure there are even better setups. Goal= a fast, reliable boat, not heat racing.

Howard Lee
04-12-2011, 01:20 PM
When i read this thread i ask myself how many people at OSE have got a genesis to 80mph? Only 1 that i know of and thats me. Guys talk about my setup like something going to come apart. I have tested my genesis 2 to 3 times a day and 4 to 5 times a week for 4 months and never had a problem. I would say thats very reliable. I wounder if mudl could say that? I think some guys need to spend more time testing then talking. lol If there is anyone that don't know a 32 from a 37/genesis i will help you. The 32" is a much fast hull then a 37, a 32" has a lot less resistance from the smaller tunnels and a wider floor for more lift. Just want to get the facts right. Now you guys can go back pulling hair and name calling. :laugh:

keithbradley
04-12-2011, 02:23 PM
When i read this thread i ask myself how many people at OSE have got a genesis to 80mph? Only 1 that i know of and thats me. Guys talk about my setup like something going to come apart. I have tested my genesis 2 to 3 times a day and 4 to 5 times a week for 4 months and never had a problem. I would say thats very reliable. I wounder if mudl could say that? I think some guys need to spend more time testing then talking. lol If there is anyone that don't know a 32 from a 37/genesis i will help you. The 32" is a much fast hull then a 37, a 32" has a lot less resistance from the smaller tunnels and a wider floor for more lift. Just want to get the facts right. Now you guys can go back pulling hair and name calling. :laugh:

Yeah!
It's called winning!...duh!

TotalPackage
04-12-2011, 02:31 PM

Good stuff Howard:buttrock:

Rumdog
04-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Cool another fun thread. Where does it end?

DV8ion
04-12-2011, 02:47 PM

Where the heck did that come from?? Don't know a 32 from a 37?? Did we read the same thread?? :hug1:

TotalPackage
04-12-2011, 02:49 PM
:noidea:Hey Howard My advice was wrong before. Do as you choose some people just look for beef be the butcher lol. BUT remember the rules coz they will quickly try to get you banned when your insults are better than theres lol But really just help Sven with his genesis better off to ignore irrelevant folks.As they spend alot of time TALKING and not enough building.ENIGMA city.Always wondered why people look at threads they have no interest in.:noidea:

shctexas
04-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Can't we all just get along? :tape:

Blackjack-sven
04-12-2011, 08:24 PM
I like Keiths setup. He's taken what I've got and changed just the motor to achieve probably more than I need speed wise.

I like it a lot and unless someone has other suggestions I believe I will just get a new motor.

BUT first I will pop the KB and PB motors trying to hit 80 LMAO
Actually CAN I pop just the motor without popping the esc first?

keithbradley
04-12-2011, 08:26 PM
I like Keiths setup. He's taken what I've got and changed just the motor to achieve probably more than I need speed wise.

I like it a lot and unless someone has other suggestions I believe I will just get a new motor.

The esc will most likely go first. Be prepared for what it does to your boat though, its not just a lost esc:
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt328/keithbradley/boatfire.jpg

DV8ion
04-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Sven you've never been such a cheap bastard in the past, so why start now you stubborn German basatge. LOL

Blackjack-sven
04-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Aight Dv8ion, hows this? You know I can out spend you but I figured I'd try it the cheap way.
So lets try it this way then.....

whats the BEST setup that you guys can put into the genesis with Lehner or Hacker motors.
GO nuts boys, lets see whats out there.

REALLY fast and reliable.

DV8ion
04-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Bwahahaha now your just a fool. From the cheapest to the most expensive. Your too much.

Blackjack-sven
04-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Is that all you got broski? I could and probably will just out spend you by 20 bucks to keep you wanting more. Come and get the German baby.

DV8ion
04-12-2011, 09:00 PM
You can't buy skill, driving or setup. You think you would of learned that by now. So go ahead and spend till your hearts content. I will still out drive you ;)

Blackjack-sven
04-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Your first time with a boat was with my Blackjack 55.
Thats what got you all hooked last summer so you have less skill in all departments.
Plus the only reason your changing your ENTIRE setup is to out run my STOCK Genesis. So lets see where you get to with that and I'll just mow you down by 10-15mph WITH cheaper equipment.

Just because your better than me with cars doesn't mean you'll beat me here too. My skills as a pilot prove that your not the best at everything.

Jacked1
04-12-2011, 09:11 PM
The esc will most likely go first. Be prepared for what it does to your boat though, its not just a lost esc:
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt328/keithbradley/boatfire.jpg

What is wrong with it?
And why did you paint everything black?

:just-kidding:

TotalPackage
04-12-2011, 09:39 PM

Ok then lets see it run.

If the load isnt too crazy the kb might survive it but let me ask you this YOU want to sell it?

DV8ion
04-12-2011, 09:52 PM
That picture makes me sad :(
Sven I will still kick your butt. You didn't get the nickname "Crash" or "The Butcher" for nothing. Hehehe I think we should ask you how many planes you have and how many actually fly. LoL When we go out with the boats I will bring the fire extinguisher for yours ;) But in all seriousness I think you should try that setup Keith posted.

keithbradley
04-12-2011, 10:00 PM
That picture makes me sad :(
Sven I will still kick your butt. You didn't get the nickname "Crash" or "The Butcher" for nothing. Hehehe I think we should ask you how many planes you have and how many actually fly. LoL When we go out with the boats I will bring the fire extinguisher for yours ;) But in all seriousness I think you should try that setup Keith posted.

I was able to recover most of it. That was done in the name of experimentation (the fire wasnt on purpose, but we knew the esc might fail when we tried it). Doing stuff like that is fine, you just have to be aware of the consequences and be willing to accept them. Sven you could try that big motor on 8s with a tiny prop, it just doesnt make a lot of sense. If youre going to run a tiny prop you dont really need that large of a can. You would be better off with the proboat motor in that sense, although I still dont see the point. Either way if you want to try it you should be willing to accpept possible damages.

I sent Sven a vid of that boat running. That vid was taken AFTER the fire...so it IS alive and running, just bruised and battered.

Blackjack-sven
04-12-2011, 10:01 PM
this is gonna be like an ethiopian race. Roll a cherrio down a hill.
Cunt Muffin you'll be the cherrio and I'll be on you like a fat kid on chocolate cake.

Blackjack-sven
04-12-2011, 10:04 PM
I sent Sven a vid of that boat running. That vid was taken AFTER the fire...so it IS alive and running, just bruised and battered.

I loved it. Especially when you flipped her 360 and landed perfectly.
Mine wasn't such a sweet landing as you can see here..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfdviE48euY

TotalPackage
04-12-2011, 11:47 PM
2 kb's and some 442's Sven

Blackjack-sven
04-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Question about caps....

To build a cap bank....

1. Is there such a thing as too many?
2. Can you use any cap?
3. what caps do you use if at all and why?

Thanx guys, all my stuff should be arriving on Monday.
Cant wait. LOL

Punisher 67
04-22-2011, 02:58 AM
........................:popcorn2:

Blackjack-sven
04-25-2011, 05:30 PM
YAY....my stuff came in, but now I need a motor mount as I forgot to grab one.......DUH.

DV8ion
04-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Cant you use the stock mount?

DV8ion
04-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Nevermind thats right you got the KB, duh. Looking forward to the fireworks show. :bounce: j/k

Blackjack-sven
04-26-2011, 09:53 PM
5s2p 4000mah 50c batteries, 1600kv KB motor, will go how fast????

Blackjack-sven
07-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Cant you use the stock mount?

No the stock mount locations are closer than what the kb requires

kingwrench
08-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Word of advice do not by cheap crap, save and buy the good stuff. Will be much better off in the long run than to have a fire ball right out of the gate. I have 2500.00 in batts, motors and speed controllers, 900.00 in paint, 1000.00 for the hull. add, running gear, radio gear, bec + batts. ,bullet conn, wire, on board data loggers, etc. it adds up quick, I would imagine, I am going to have over 7k in this boat. I have been working on her of a year, and its close maybe splash it Middle of this month.

I have learned in the last 35yrs or so being in this hobby, cheap never lives, Airplane, heli, boat its all the same.

KartRacer
08-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Well tigueman, been reading thread and trying to Learn which way to go on upcoming first RC boat. Just hope you recover from this thread when I start picking your brain further. Thanks for being here for us new boaters and help us avoid at least some of the expensive mistakes.
KartRacer