PDA

View Full Version : Turnigy ESC

dmwilson09
04-08-2011, 06:00 PM
I am trying not to drop my life saving into the spartan, so i want to get some input on a new esc. I have two motors ( a feiago 1390KV and a Tacon 3674 1700 KV) that i plan to run with the stock esc. Once the stock esc dies (and i am sure it will), which esc should i get, the turnigy 120 or 180. Keep in mind, i only want to run these two motors, maybe the larger 4074 1500KV. Also, I may sell the spartan and get the proboat MG. If i did that, i would want to put that esc and motor in the MG so i could run 6S.

JPriami
04-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Are you my long lost brother? I am selling my Spartan and buying the MG too. And if I do get that boat it will be another 60+mph craft ;)
I'd opt for the 180 esc. That way you have room to grow into. And if you do something else at least you have a good sized esc to go there with.

JPriami
04-08-2011, 06:34 PM
And welcome to OSE :D

dmwilson09
04-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks, I figured i would make the switch, since everyone who knows something about FE Boats is no longer posting anything on the T*****s forum.

JPriami
04-08-2011, 06:44 PM
If it were me I'd get the t-180 aka seaking 180. It would be plenty.
But keep in mind I'm not as conservative as others. I like to see a boat flying accross the water in straights, that floats my boat lol. You might be able to get by on a 120 esc just fine. I'm sure some others will give you some good info here too.

dmwilson09
04-08-2011, 06:44 PM
If i went with the 120, would that allow me to run 40-50 with out issue. I am not one to drive my boat everyday, maybe a few times on the weekend. And though i like speed, I have noticed that cats like to turn into planes at high speed. I dont want to go swimming for my boat!

JPriami
04-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah I've got some vid of one of my cats going into aircraft mode and landing upside down. It was pretty wild.

dag-nabit
04-08-2011, 07:02 PM
I think the 120 would work for you, there are vids on you tube of guys running the Spartan on 120's. (Stock is 80, so still a good jump up)

I'm not familiar with the MG so I don't know if the larger 180 will fit well in it, but I would say go with whichever one you want, as long as you are confident it will fit in your next project.

Kevin

Rcforever27
04-12-2011, 08:20 PM
:bounce:So y is everyone coming on here to talk? No more traxxas? I'm not on these forums to complain, bur to learn as much as I can through other people .... Especially learning about boats.... I mean you go on forums if your having a problem i'n hopes to get itvresolved or to get tips.... Thts y I'm on ose& traxxas.... Just my opinion... And a huge thanks to everyone who has given me tips i'n boats !

trevorla
04-12-2011, 09:15 PM
No censorship here thats why most are here now ,there is a wealth of knowledgable people here and they cant be stifled for speaking the truth about a sketchy product.If this was a car,NHTSA would recall it immediately.
just my two cents,Trev

Diesel6401
04-12-2011, 09:36 PM
The 180s(which you can get here by the way http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ker-seaking-180) are AMAZING esc's. I have also added some of the swordfish 200s to my fleet. The swordfishs needed water proofed though for extra safety. I have blown a 120 before when a little water got on it. I haven't had a issue since I started the waterproofing on the swordfishs. (Vid on that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcSTB40mjsE)

I would go with the Tacon to the OP. They are 4pole Leopard motors rebadged and leopards are awesome motors. At 1700kv that could be a awesome running boat on the stock esc at 5s. Should add some reliablitiy to the boat as well by not pushing the esc on 6s. The mg can fit a 180 by the way. MG's are the nicest quality rtr's on the market currently IMO.... I love my MG!