PDA

View Full Version : Finally Finished Mods - Ready to Go??

dag-nabit
04-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Finally got the parts I was waiting on and finished up my Spartan yesterday. Now just have to wait for my daughter to finish up hers and I think we are good to go when the lake finally thaws.

There is really nothing new on the mods, they have all been done before, but this will consolidate many of the more common ones in one place for newcomers to peruse.

Component Tray Upgrades
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/daidavies/RC%20Boats/4d1825ca.jpg

Cooling System Upgrades

Additional Pick Up Installed - there are various other similar options available.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/daidavies/RC%20Boats/4b1cd7b3.jpg

Extra Inlet Machined into rudder, and gallery and barb milled out to improve flow
Thanks to Greek75 for providing the machining services.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/daidavies/RC%20Boats/4737034f.jpg

Stock Water Outlet Removed and Additional Outlet Installed with Larger Ports.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/daidavies/RC%20Boats/95a3b571.jpg

Drive Line Upgrades/Mods

I also shortened the flex cable by 5mm to reduce the gap between the Drive Dog and Strut.

New Prop and Bullet Nut
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/daidavies/RC%20Boats/0b27d798.jpg

Grommet installed to fill the gap between hull and strut
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/daidavies/RC%20Boats/ae17bfd8.jpg

dag-nabit
04-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Hull Modifications
Tabs removed from hatch to reduce chance of breakage during high speed spill, and through hull water fittings.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/daidavies/RC%20Boats/19ccbe4e.jpg

Kevin

JPriami
04-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Looks great Kevin. You have done some nice work no doubt about it.

dag-nabit
04-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Looks great Kevin. You have done some nice work no doubt about it.

Thanks Justin,

I don't have it in me to go to the lengths you did, but appreciate all the time and energy you devoted to the forum(s) for the benefit of us all.

It will either work, or it will be headed down the road.

Kevin

Make-a-Wake
04-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Very nice mods.........should be a sturdy setup.

If i may offer one thing.........the pickup on the trim tab will not recieve much water flow at all. At straightline speed it will most likely be out of the water as the boat rides up on the pad, and on righthand turns it will be out for sure..............just dont want you to fry something.

Checkmateguy01
04-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Looks very good man!! Where did you find that gromet for the strut gap? Also, what I.D. tubing are you guy's upgrading too? Spring is finally here, now i have to get my arse in gear and get the Spartan ready run. I'm only gonna change the motor/esc if and when i fry's, till then tho i'm gonna upgrade all the cooling and hopefully make it last a little while with stock components.

dag-nabit
04-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Very nice mods.........should be a sturdy setup.

If i may offer one thing.........the pickup on the trim tab will not recieve much water flow at all. At straightline speed it will most likely be out of the water as the boat rides up on the pad, and on righthand turns it will be out for sure..............just dont want you to fry something.

Yeah, I'm going to be watching that. It has some extra length on the tube so I can drop it lower if necessary. Hopefully it will be enough.

Kevin

dag-nabit
04-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Looks very good man!! Where did you find that gromet for the strut gap? Also, what I.D. tubing are you guy's upgrading too? Spring is finally here, now i have to get my arse in gear and get the Spartan ready run. I'm only gonna change the motor/esc if and when i fry's, till then tho i'm gonna upgrade all the cooling and hopefully make it last a little while with stock components.

I had an assortment in the garage, I picked them up several years ago at at hardware or automotive store. They are just standard rubber grommets used for protecting wiring etc. running through thin metal or plastic.

That was JPriami's idea, I just swiped it :laugh:

I am using 4mm ID tubing. Which I think is around 1/4 or 5/32"

Kevin

Brushless55
04-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Looking good man! :rockon2:

Checkmateguy01
04-11-2011, 08:01 PM
I am using 4mm ID tubing. Which I think is around 1/4 or 5/32"

Kevin

Yup, 4mm is just about 5/32's. I was just looking at my Spartan and wow the stock cooling tubes are very small, what the heck size I.D. are they? I've been debating the 3mm or 4mm tubing, will the 4mm tube still seal nice around the ESC inlet/outlet's. I plan on eliminating the rudder pick-up and going with 2 thru-hull pick-up's, one to the motor, one to the ESC, and mounting them on oppisite sides of the strut. Plus i'm gonna add a better water jacket on the motor, has anyone had any trouble getting the small allen screws out of the motor to slip the jacket's on?? They look real easy to strip the heads! I'm very anxious to get mine on the water soon!!

dag-nabit
04-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Yup, 4mm is just about 5/32's. I was just looking at my Spartan and wow the stock cooling tubes are very small, what the heck size I.D. are they? I've been debating the 3mm or 4mm tubing, will the 4mm tube still seal nice around the ESC inlet/outlet's. I plan on eliminating the rudder pick-up and going with 2 thru-hull pick-up's, one to the motor, one to the ESC, and mounting them on oppisite sides of the strut. Plus i'm gonna add a better water jacket on the motor, has anyone had any trouble getting the small allen screws out of the motor to slip the jacket's on?? They look real easy to strip the heads! I'm very anxious to get mine on the water soon!!

If you are asking about tubing fitment on the stock ESC I'm not sure, but the 4mm tbg fits pretty good on the Turnigy 180 barbs. I'm going to try just slipped on, but if they pop off or leak I will put zip ties on them.

I do recall others posting about the end cap screws on the motors. I believe they said they have loctite on them, so heat them up slightly before removing and they should come out without too much problems.

Kevin

Checkmateguy01
04-12-2011, 07:33 AM
Yeah the stock ESC does not have barbs on the inlets/outlets, that's why i wonder how tight the 4mm will hold and not leak, even with a zip tie.

Greek75
04-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Looking good Kevin.... If you're looking for cooling line, a company name Newage makes the perfect fit.... You have to buy it in 100' quantities min, hello dealers, it's 1/8 id x 1/4 od 90 durometer clear or any of 10 colors, very flexible and perfect fit for most fittings..... I have used several hundred thousand feet throughout the years for different applications, but it works great in boats too.... Firmer than fuel line, yet very flexible......

JPriami
04-28-2011, 12:08 AM
so that water ever thaw out up there kevin? have you got out yet with your boats?

dag-nabit
04-28-2011, 12:17 AM
so that water ever thaw out up there kevin? have you got out yet with your boats?

No, not yet. was out to the cabin this weekend and everything is still pretty solid. It has finally warmed up, the snow is melting and the creeks are running hard into the lake which will help.

Unless we get a couple weeks of unusually warm weather, I'm thinking we will be lucky to be completely thawed on the lake by mid May.

Oh well, my Fightercat should be showing up later this week or early next, so I'll have another boat to get ready and keep me busy until the thaw.

Kevin

JPriami
04-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Come on down here Kevin. get out of there lol.

dag-nabit
04-28-2011, 12:23 AM
Come on down here Kevin. get out of there lol.

I sometimes wonder.....

But we aren't suffering tornadoes, wildfires, or earthquakes and tsunami's, so I guess a late thaw isn't much to complain about.

On a happier note, it has been warm enough to get out on the motorcycle. :thumbup1:

Kevin

JPriami
04-28-2011, 12:39 AM
What? Its fun when mother nature tries to kill you? Heck theres no dinosaurs running around trying to eat people, and most dont fear or believe in a form of god now days. Hell they need to fear something. At least mother nature keeps us on our toes and reminds humans how fragile life really is and that the world as we know it doesn't revolve around us. lmao :roflol:

:closedeyes:

Kramerr
09-26-2012, 10:29 PM
When you installed the water outlets, did you have to cover up the mounting screw hole on the original outlet in order to add the second oversized outlet or was there enough room to put both in ????

dag-nabit
09-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Yes, I had to cover the mounting screw hole. I cheated by covering it with a decal, then sealing it from behind with some silicone.

I used the original hole for one outlet, and drilled a new hole for the second.

Kevin