PDA

View Full Version : 1st Run of the Motley Crew

Doby
04-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Well, I took the boat out after work today for its maiden run...just me so there is NO VID, but that will come this weekend.

1st run was with the stock prop, no changes to any struts etc as I figured Grimm had already adjusted it to its sweet spot. LiPos were last years stock of well used Turnigy 30C 5800mah packs. Outside temps were around 8C (around 46F you you people south of the border). Water temps were...well...damn cold as the ice only dissapeared last weekend. Wind was about 10 Mph. Chop about 3/4" at times.

Packs were located dead center on the factory located velcro.

GPS inserted in front of the motor...

Hatch taped up.....

Oh the suspense......:w00t:

Hit the gas (so to speak) and the MC smoothly got on plane in about 3 feet.

Half throttle pass to verify the cooling was working......no problems there with LOTs of flow using the non stock rudder pickup.

Well.... it scoots along quite nicely...I guessed around 35 Mph and turned sharply and crisply with no hooking. Full throttle turns around the imaginary markers were no problem.

After about 3 minutes, brought it in and checked the GPS and temps......temps on the controller and motor were....well...cold. Didn't even bother to get the thermometer out. Motor connectors (4mm) were only slightly warm to the touch, as well as the LiPos and connectors (5.5mm plugs). Boat was bone dry on the inside.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, the GPS read 36.7 Mph.....Not to shabby.

So now, insert a fresh set of last years LiPos, this time about an inch further back,,,,re-set the GPS and changed the prop to a nicely balanced Octura X??? (secret) and back in the water she went.

After about three laps you could tell the LiPos were warming up nicely and the speed went up...noticeably up:rockon2:

A couple of more laps and in she came. During the run she was always very surefooted and crisp in the turns, and heading into the breeze she floated nicely with no signs of wanting to flip or hook in the turns, even full out. Now keep in mind these were turns similar to what you would do during a race, not instant 180 type turns.

Again, everyting was stiil nice and cool.

Oh yeah...the GPS read........45.8Mph.Woo Hoooo.:bounce:

Can't wait for this weekend and more time on the water.

Grimm...well done. Nice boat.

dana
04-07-2011, 08:19 PM
:rockon2:

tunnelvision
04-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Awesome, Can't wait for the vid!

LiPo Power
04-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Sounds sweet on 5S....
Put 4S and let GPS read... :laugh:

Well, I took the boat out after work today for its maiden run...just me so there is NO VID, but that will come this weekend.

1st run was with the stock prop, no changes to any struts etc as I figured Grimm had already adjusted it to its sweet spot. LiPos were last years stock of well used Turnigy 30C 5800mah packs. Outside temps were around 8C (around 46F you you people south of the border). Water temps were...well...damn cold as the ice only dissapeared last weekend. Wind was about 10 Mph. Chop about 3/4" at times.

Packs were located dead center on the factory located velcro.

GPS inserted in front of the motor...

Hatch taped up.....

Oh the suspense......:w00t:

Hit the gas (so to speak) and the MC smoothly got on plane in about 3 feet.

Half throttle pass to verify the cooling was working......no problems there with LOTs of flow using the non stock rudder pickup.

Well.... it scoots along quite nicely...I guessed around 35 Mph and turned sharply and crisply with no hooking. Full throttle turns around the imaginary markers were no problem.

After about 3 minutes, brought it in and checked the GPS and temps......temps on the controller and motor were....well...cold. Didn't even bother to get the thermometer out. Motor connectors (4mm) were only slightly warm to the touch, as well as the LiPos and connectors (5.5mm plugs). Boat was bone dry on the inside.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, the GPS read 36.7 Mph.....Not to shabby.

So now, insert a fresh set of last years LiPos, this time about an inch further back,,,,re-set the GPS and changed the prop to a nicely balanced Octura X??? (secret) and back in the water she went.

After about three laps you could tell the LiPos were warming up nicely and the speed went up...noticeably up:rockon2:

A couple of more laps and in she came. During the run she was always very surefooted and crisp in the turns, and heading into the breeze she floated nicely with no signs of wanting to flip or hook in the turns, even full out. Now keep in mind these were turns similar to what you would do during a race, not instant 180 type turns.

Again, everyting was stiil nice and cool.

Oh yeah...the GPS read........45.8Mph.Woo Hoooo.:bounce:

Can't wait for this weekend and more time on the water.

Grimm...well done. Nice boat.

Brushless55
04-08-2011, 12:49 AM
:popcorn2:

Grimracer
04-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Im glad you like it.

The goal was to get the boat to handle!.. Most cats i have drove never really impressed me because they would change lanes from 6 to 2 before you knew what happen.. I dont know but that just dont do it for me.

This boat needed to stay in its lane and if YOU want 1 or 10 its going to stay put.

Anyway.. keep us posted and enjoy!

Grimracer

ray schrauwen
04-08-2011, 10:01 AM
So what Kv is the motor it comes with?

I'll put a smack down on you with my Miss G next week :p

Doby
04-08-2011, 10:27 AM
So what Kv is the motor it comes with?

I'll put a smack down on you with my Miss G next week :p

Its an 1800 KV...as per you other comment...racing starts at 10 AM, not PM ...so if you even want to have half a chance of the "smackdown" you are referring to, you had better be there on time...(for those that don't know...Ray seems to live in his own personal time zone where clocks seem to run about 2 hours behind everyone elses:sleep::sleep:)..The first race scheduled will be LSO.....

So next week its 2 Miss G's against 1 Motley Crew..interesting considering there will be lots of other traffic on the water to deal with as well.

ray schrauwen
04-08-2011, 11:18 AM
I like to run when the sun is warm, no doubt. Do you really blame me for being late at the last pond? I hated that place, heavy wind all the time, 6" chop minimum almost all the time.

It's a little better at your pond but, it's small and of course, I was always much earlier to races when I was on an EQUAL footing with everyone else on a racers stand.

This may have been before your time John but, when I was on a racing stand instead of at the waters edge, I was very tough to pass.

Anytime you want to race sitting in a chair you are welcome mister sarcasm, then we'll see who can drive best.:blah:

Bolting in my PB 1800Kv motor right now.

Doby
04-08-2011, 12:15 PM
You're still a pain in the butt to pass now......looking forward to next weekend....
..don't forget Smurfette.

Darin Jordan
04-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Bolting in my PB 1800Kv motor right now.

Ray... PM sent... I have a better idea! :spy:

LiPo Power
04-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Doby, what motor are you running on your boat?

Doby
04-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Doby, what motor are you running on your boat?

Its got the stock 1800 KV AQ motor.

Doby
04-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Ray... PM sent... I have a better idea! :spy:

Grimm...they are ganging up on us:w00t:

Grimracer
04-08-2011, 01:29 PM
SMACK TALK TIME!

You better bring out ALL YOUR BEST parts and ideas D-mon..

The Motley Crew is going to ROCK IT BONE STOCK!

In the right corner weighing in at a scant 5 lbs its the BRAND NEW AquaCraft Motley Crew. To our left we have the 1000lb Swing and a MISS Freckles!

Piloting the Miss Freckles is an old boat racer dude in rubber boots and the Motley crew a hansom young driving Ace with a list of wins 216.4 kilometers long.

Those boots do however make the skirt looks better don’t you think Danielson! Right on Quickchange!

As the count down continues…………………

Truth is this is just in fun and Darin, Ray and John know it.. I know, as much as Darin what we REALY WANT!. and that is more choices and better RC boating….racing.. FOR EVEYONE!..

In the words of my good bud T-dawg

LETS GET REAAAADYYYY TO TUMMMMMMMBBBLEEEEEEE

LETS RACE

Grimracer

Darin Jordan
04-08-2011, 01:40 PM
The Motley Crew is going to ROCK IT BONE STOCK!

Did I just hear Grimmy say they were going to rock it running with the BONE STOCK prop???

Hehehehehe... NOT a good idea, Dude!! :zip-up: :tongue_smilie: :beerchug:

Darin Jordan
04-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Why am I having visions of yellow and silver paint streaks being swapped back and forth!

Just be careful.... that Lizard's wearing a pink bikini, and is all business... :thumbup1:

LiPo Power
04-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Stock plastic prop or the secret L45x68
( nobody runs stock :doh: )

Its got the stock 1800 KV AQ motor.

longballlumber
04-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Are you guys running 4min Heats? I would be interested in knowing what prop you end up heat racing with Doby.

Later,
Mike

LiPo Power
04-08-2011, 01:59 PM
We have used L45x68 Grimm prop on UL-1 with stock motor and ESC and UL-1 was no llonger Ul-1, it was UL-1 !!!!

Doby
04-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Robert...it is not the lifter prop you keep referring too.....Tried it last night and it struggled to get on plane.....

Grimracer
04-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Why am I having visions of yellow and silver paint streaks being swapped back and forth!

Just be careful.... that Lizard's wearing a pink bikini, and is all business... :thumbup1:

lol....

I love Lizards in PINK!

take care boat brother!

GAME ON!

Grim

mavdriver
04-10-2011, 10:23 AM
So when will the race begin ? I`m really interested in the MC .

ray schrauwen
04-10-2011, 10:50 AM
High noon! LOL....

I wish I got out to test run with Doby yesterday. I guess I'll just go by feel and hope for the best.
I wish I had a nice pond like that 10 minutes away.... Maybe I do?:spy:

Yesterday was an absolute PERFECT day to run or test, damn!!!!!

Doby
04-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Vids are up in the VID section:

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=23814

Racing starts next weekend!

LiPo Power
04-10-2011, 02:10 PM
I used this prop on MG Saturday L45x68, on plane no problem with good speed results....
Little off the subject, sorry...

Robert...it is not the lifter prop you keep referring too.....Tried it last night and it struggled to get on plane.....