PDA

View Full Version : Backup nuts are spinning on the transom

hidrodynamic
01-16-2008, 09:41 PM
I was removing all the hardware on the stern so I can prep the boat to be painted, and the little backup nuts on the inside of the boat loss their grip and just spin when I try to remove the bolts. Has anyone had this happen before?

I used a dremel and a cutter wheel to cut off the bolts on the side fins because I won't use them, but I need to salvage the ones from the outdrive.

Mich. Maniac
01-16-2008, 09:54 PM
good luck salvaging them. I unded up also dremelling the outdrive plate bolts. It didnt ruin the plate but if I were you that what would be the best. You can pick up new ones at HD or lowes. just make sure they are stainless steel. The other ones came out and then pushed retainers out using same screw.

hidrodynamic
01-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Guess I'll have to cut them off then. I ordered fullers hardware anyways, does that have replacement bolts?

Mich. Maniac
01-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Oh, also if you DO cut them with dremell. Whatch the heat, It will melt the platic a little and cause the platic to melt into the threads. Fortunately I was removong old doubler anyway so I was able to unscrew retainers from inside then. again, good luck

obrien
01-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Don't reuse those things. Just get a set of bolts and nylock nuts for all of your hardware.

zero9046
01-17-2008, 02:12 AM
wait! i also learned the hard way. but, i think there is a solution. the "blind" nuts, as i think they are called by the hobby shop packaging i've seen them in, aren't "locking" nuts. in otherwords, they don't have that nylon ring/washer thing that puts a death grip on the screw going in it. they are just regular nuts, that have the teeth that grab on to the wood in the transom.

the problem is not those nuts, the problem is the loctite that is on the screws (bolt i guess, actually?). it took me until the very last bolt to figure it out, but i took out my soldering iron, and touched it to the tip of the bolt on the inside of the hull, and waited until i saw smoke (i assume this is the loctite liquifiying and steaming off or something). then i slowly unscrewed the bolt, and it came out no problem.

after that, i threaded the screw in from inside the transom, and backed out the blind nut with no problems. hope that helps.