PDA

View Full Version : Almost done with the Upgrades

Wade
04-04-2011, 08:02 PM
After I blew my ESC and Motor after changing to 6c, I bounced around the web and took some advice on what to do for upgrades for the Spartan.

Mods:
Motor:Leopard 4082 2000kv W/ Waterjacket
ESC (Still waiting on): HK 180
Prop: Graupner Carbon 42mm
Trim tabs W/transom Pickup: Use this to cool the Motor, Use rudder cooling for ESC.
Batterys: Turnigy 5000 3c
Waterlines: 5/32
*drilled out water outlet from rudder to help with waterflow
*filed out rudder inlet
*thinking about chaging to bullet connectors. I wonder if the traxxas ones attributed to the "melt down"

Still need to drill holes for the extra water inlet and outlet, Program the ESC once I get it. Dont really care what kind of MPH i get out of it...just want to have fun!

In a weird way I am ok with all these changes...really allowed me to get into the workings of RC boating and made me purchase the UL-1 and maybe a few others. :smile:

bbosncali
04-04-2011, 08:39 PM
As I've been told I wouldn't run 6s with that motor even tough I'm gonna try 5s with a similar setup. But looks good though

dag-nabit
04-04-2011, 09:37 PM
The upgrades are lookin' good. :thumbup1:

Depending on what you run for a prop, I would agree that 6S might be too much for drive line with that 4082 2000kv motor.

If you stay conservative with prop sizes you should be OK I think, but JPriami was over torquing his flex cable with only 1500kv on larger prop sizes and 6S.

Kevin

Make-a-Wake
04-04-2011, 09:41 PM
It can handle 6s with a smaller prop....................i would recommend 5s myself.

Wade
04-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Actually...I am running the 1500kv....I just got some 2000 lipos for a Plane and had that number on the mind. May look at getting a improved flex shaft as well. Guess this is what makes RC projects interesting....try something out...if it does not work,try again.

Wade
04-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Decided to run the 5.5 Castle bullet connectors. Never thought anything of it...but these are very nice. I think with the 2 water lines cooling both the motor and ESC by themselves, I hope to keep from having another "melt down" yet I realize that some say it all depends on if you run it full all the time. I also will be "Pre Cooling" the motor and ESC by geting water in the lines before running it.

Wade
04-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Oh.... and a thank you goes out to Jprami...I R&D (Rip off and Duplicate) my boat from yours (as best I could):thumbup1:

JPriami
04-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Hope you have fun with her Wade. should be a rocket

Wade
04-22-2011, 05:33 PM
First time out on the lake with the upgrades

Set up: 5 Cell 5000 30c
Conditions: Little/Medium chopy..no way I was going to run the UL-1 though.

1st run: Max Speed: 42mph
run time: 8 Minutes
Temp: Motor: 68 ESC: 78

2nd run: Max speed: 38
Run time: 5 minutes...then I broke the carbon prop so I brought into shore
Temp: Motor: 63 ESC: 75

I like the temps on this set up and around 40 mph for me is fast enough... for now. Running the 2 and 3 cell I forgot to factor in that one side of the boat would be heavier thus it wanted to turn in that direction ( I put the garmin on the 2 cell side but still not enough weight). I think if I balance it out a little better and I am not either fighting the steering or having to trim it all the way to the other side I should see mid 40's. Also, having water outlets on each side allow me to see what waterflow is happening with each pass

dag-nabit
04-22-2011, 07:27 PM
What prop are you running?

The boat will want to turn to the right due to prop walk moving the back of the boat to the left.

Place your heavy battery on the left side to see if that helps counteract the effect.

Kevin

Wade
04-22-2011, 07:52 PM
What prop are you running?

The boat will want to turn to the right due to prop walk moving the back of the boat to the left.

Place your heavy battery on the left side to see if that helps counteract the effect.

Kevin

Kevin, I am running the: Graupner Carbon 42mm. The 3 Cell battery was on the left side.

Brushless55
04-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Kevin, I am running the: Graupner Carbon 42mm. The 3 Cell battery was on the left side.

good job running the bigger battery on the left side:thumbup1:
are you going to stay with 5s or are you going to try 6s?

Wade
04-24-2011, 11:16 PM
good job running the bigger battery on the left side:thumbup1:
are you going to stay with 5s or are you going to try 6s?

May run 5 for a while...I have seen a few different opinions about 6 on this set up but i know I will throw the 6's in there a few times :w00t: