PDA

View Full Version : 5S?

gibbies_03
04-04-2011, 04:10 PM
when you guys say u r running 5S does that mean that you have a 3S on one side and 2S on the other?

pyroM!KE
04-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Yes..Exact brand and ratings..Same Mah and c rating..

bbosncali
04-04-2011, 09:01 PM
when you guys say u r running 5S does that mean that you have a 3S on one side and 2S on the other?

Like a 2s 5000mah 40c and a 3s 5000mah 40c

gibbies_03
04-05-2011, 12:11 AM
so...its not a good idea to run a 3S 5000 40C and a 2S 5000 50C?

Diesel6401
04-05-2011, 05:44 PM
so...its not a good idea to run a 3S 5000 40C and a 2S 5000 50C?

No that would not be good. The lower c pack will have a harder time keeping up. Running ANY batts in series should ALWAYS be the same mah and c rating. and when running in parallel they must be the same voltage, mah and c rating. I also use the same brands and packs with similar number of cycles.

gek1946
04-11-2011, 07:18 PM
when you run 5s 50c do you still use the same motor and controller that came in the boat originally?

pyroM!KE
04-11-2011, 08:18 PM
when you run 5s 50c do you still use the same motor and controller that came in the boat originally?

You can go up to 6s with the stock motor..But I wouldnt go any higher than 4s with the stock esc..Get a sk180 esc and be done..Thats what I reccomend..I blew up my stock esc on 5s though I was slightly over propped..But I have seen guys here with great results on 5s with stock esc...I wouldnt run anything over a 42x55 or a x642 if you try it 5s with stock esc..Also to run 5s with the stock esc, you have to disable the bec and run a external rx pack or it will certainly let the smoke out..

gek1946
04-11-2011, 09:00 PM
what is the external pack your talking about im new at this

gek1946
04-12-2011, 11:34 AM
You can go up to 6s with the stock motor..But I wouldnt go any higher than 4s with the stock esc..Get a sk180 esc and be done..Thats what I reccomend..I blew up my stock esc on 5s though I was slightly over propped..But I have seen guys here with great results on 5s with stock esc...I wouldnt run anything over a 42x55 or a x642 if you try it 5s with stock esc..Also to run 5s with the stock esc, you have to disable the bec and run a external rx pack or it will certainly let the smoke out..

How do i dissable to bec and run a external rx pack. Where is an rx pack purchased. The reason for all the questions is I have run the boat stock on the x642 prop and 2 2s 5000 mah batterys and the gps speed is 34.9, It seems like the boat wants to go more but I need some advice on how to do it without damageing it and costing me a lot of money, I appreciate qny input.

Thanks
gek1946

pyroM!KE
04-13-2011, 12:17 AM
How do i dissable to bec and run a external rx pack. Where is an rx pack purchased. The reason for all the questions is I have run the boat stock on the x642 prop and 2 2s 5000 mah batterys and the gps speed is 34.9, It seems like the boat wants to go more but I need some advice on how to do it without damageing it and costing me a lot of money, I appreciate qny input.

Thanks
gek1946
The red wire on the esc wire going to the RX is the one wire out of the 3 wires you want to remove. Use a hobby knife, lift the small tab up that's holding the pin in place, and pull it out.That disables the bec.. I put a small piece of heat shrink on the pin after. This way you can just slide it back in place if you ever need to hook it up again.
As for a rx pack this is what I use and it works great.. http://www.gshobby.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=737_1188&products_id=11131

gek1946
04-13-2011, 11:02 AM
I had the boat out yesterday again andI reached 36.9 moh on gps. The boat porpoised alot making a the boat bounce, I moved the batterys a little and that just slowed the boat down, I saw that an ofset rudder is avaoiable from a company that stops this problem. Is it a good thing to change? Also I do appriciate you writing me back and i am new at this so I am asking if you could not abbreviate some of the things youve sent me for I am not quite understanding it. Your dealing with a 65 year old who still has a lot of kid in him!

pyroM!KE
04-13-2011, 11:36 AM
I bought the Kinetic offset rudder bracket and the bounce instantly went away..I tried everything before I got the bracket and I just couldnt get the bounce out..In my opinion the bracket is worth every penny..Ohh if you get one get the V2..here.. http://www.kintecracing.com/Miss_Geico_Upgrades.html
Now with the offset rudder installed it turns to the right better than to the left due to offset..It dosent bother me at all I just wanted to point that out to you..If there was any negatives about the bracket that would be it..But like I said it dosent bother me at all..

gek1946
04-14-2011, 10:32 PM
i ordered the offset rudder today from Offshore. What should i do about batterys? What is my best way to go 45 mph without changing a lot of the boat
electronics? This ole man is open for suggestions,Im still a kid!

pyroM!KE
04-15-2011, 11:31 AM
On 5s this boat rocks.. I use a 40c 5000mah 2s pack and a 3s 40c 5000mah pack..It will blow your mind the first time you do it..And youll have to be easy on the throttle untill you find the sweet spot balance point cuz youll have blowovers at wide open throttle..
Heres the packs I use and they are great!! http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16194

dirty
04-15-2011, 03:28 PM
the kintec offset rudder fixed my problem with the bouncing no doubt.I am also wanting to run 5s and 6s on my boat,so i will be following all advice as far as that goes to.One thing i have seen is people running the leopard 4074.Some say you cant run 6s on it.I also want to increase speed.My fastest so far running on 4s and 42x55 is 44.2.i want to run in the high fifties if possible.which motor will run good on 5s and 6s?

pyroM!KE
04-15-2011, 06:14 PM
the kintec offset rudder fixed my problem with the bouncing no doubt.I am also wanting to run 5s and 6s on my boat,so i will be following all advice as far as that goes to.One thing i have seen is people running the leopard 4074.Some say you cant run 6s on it.I also want to increase speed.My fastest so far running on 4s and 42x55 is 44.2.i want to run in the high fifties if possible.which motor will run good on 5s and 6s?
The stock motor..Ive got in the upper 40's on 5s with the stock motor..On 6s the stock motor should be in the mid 50's..I just dont want to push the sk180 too much and thats why Ill stick with 5s..Im thinking about getting a Jae 21 fe rigger for upper 50's and low 60's runs..

gek1946
04-22-2011, 12:34 PM
On 5s this boat rocks.. I use a 40c 5000mah 2s pack and a 3s 40c 5000mah pack..It will blow your mind the first time you do it..And youll have to be easy on the throttle untill you find the sweet spot balance point cuz youll have blowovers at wide open throttle..
Heres the packs I use and they are great!! http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16194

how do you run thus boat on 4s with a stock motorand ecu. is it wired in parellell or series?

thanks
gek1946

pyroM!KE
04-22-2011, 12:47 PM
how do you run thus boat on 4s with a stock motorand ecu. is it wired in parellell or series?

thanks
gek1946
Series..2x2s 5000 40c packs for a total of 4s..

tiqueman
04-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Im not sure how you guys got the bounce out and claim its ALL about the offset rudder fixing the bounce.. Id put my boat up to bet that that certainly is not the fix. It may help, but is not the cure. Its about finding the right ride attitude. Cog and strut height is everything to do w/ it. Ive got the bounce 100% gone while still keeping the rudder inline. I use an offset only because I race it. My particular hull bounced more when I changed to the offset. Many newbs will get upset when they spend the $$ on an offset and it mysteriously doesnt fix the issue. Id refrain in the future from pointing people believing thsi is the "cure". It certainly is not. If youd like a vid of an offset boat bouncing, I have them.

wparsons
04-22-2011, 01:55 PM
No that would not be good. The lower c pack will have a harder time keeping up. Running ANY batts in series should ALWAYS be the same mah and c rating. and when running in parallel they must be the same voltage, mah and c rating. I also use the same brands and packs with similar number of cycles.

I can't see there being any issues with mixing C ratings as long as the weakest pack is enough for the power demands of the boat.

ie 2s5000mah 30c and 3s5000mah 50c. As long as 150a (30c) is enough current, then it will be fine. If you need the 50c output, then you definitely need all packs to be at least 50c.

Darin Jordan
04-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Id refrain in the future from pointing people believing thsi is the "cure". It certainly is not. If youd like a vid of an offset boat bouncing, I have them.

I have to agree with this... I only offset mine because I didn't like the way the thrust was interupted when I'd turn. The "bounce" was a matter of strut and balance...

Not to mention the fact that offsetting it to the right gives one the opportunity to install a second rudder on the left! ;) Which might be interesting for upgraded power systems... (drags too much for the stock power system)

Diesel6401
04-22-2011, 02:13 PM
I can't see there being any issues with mixing C ratings as long as the weakest pack is enough for the power demands of the boat.

ie 2s5000mah 30c and 3s5000mah 50c. As long as 150a (30c) is enough current, then it will be fine. If you need the 50c output, then you definitely need all packs to be at least 50c.

I personally would NEVER try it (mixing c ratings) and being that I never tried it and never plan on trying it I would not offer that advise. JMO

* Not saying it cant be done, or hasn't been done because I am sure it has, I just don't mention things I would do myself...

gibbies_03
04-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Im not sure how you guys got the bounce out and claim its ALL about the offset rudder fixing the bounce.. Id put my boat up to bet that that certainly is not the fix. It may help, but is not the cure. Its about finding the right ride attitude. Cog and strut height is everything to do w/ it. Ive got the bounce 100% gone while still keeping the rudder inline. I use an offset only because I race it. My particular hull bounced more when I changed to the offset. Many newbs will get upset when they spend the $$ on an offset and it mysteriously doesnt fix the issue. Id refrain in the future from pointing people believing thsi is the "cure". It certainly is not. If youd like a vid of an offset boat bouncing, I have them.

I agree 100% with ya...still have the bounce...never even ran the boat with the stock rudder set-up so I have nothing to compare to...Now it is time to play with COG and strut height

wparsons
04-24-2011, 02:28 PM
I wonder how many people have tried just taking the stock strut apart and putting it back together or simply just adjusting the strut first. I'm sure when its apart to put on the offset bracket they pay more attention to the strut setting than the person assembling it at the factory.

tiqueman
04-24-2011, 04:02 PM
I wonder how many people have tried just taking the stock strut apart and putting it back together or simply just adjusting the strut first. I'm sure when its apart to put on the offset bracket they pay more attention to the strut setting than the person assembling it at the factory.

My first run is always "as it came" Then its constant testing and adjusting of the strut. If I built teh boat from an empty hull, then I set it at neutral and levl w/ the bottom of the sponsons and go from there. Id say everyone adjusts it. Its part of dialing in a boat.

gek1946
04-27-2011, 05:13 PM

is the 42x55 a better prop to run than the x642. I have a 642 and am not getting in the 40s with the 4s. What 4s batterys should i use to get in the 40s and should i go to the 42x55

thanks
gek1946