PDA

View Full Version : Stock Spartan Hit 50.7 MPH today...

Shaun78
04-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Well, I am one of the few but GPS photo to be uploaded soon. I hit 50.7 MPH today on 6S. Definately runs better with choppy water (not too choppy) I just hope that it can sustain the 50 mph or close on my setup. Yes STOCK prop too. I usually get 41-44mph but today was windy and a little choppy and it ran great. GPS up front and front of batteries 1/2 forward from tray holding screws. Motor temps are usually 112 ish. Today motor temp was 146 ish so it was hotter but also running much faster. I did the cooling mods and thats it.

bbosncali
04-03-2011, 07:51 PM
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i446/bbosncali78/imagejpeg_3.jpg

Shaun78
04-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks Bos? he uploaded it for me, i have no idea how to

Brushless55
04-03-2011, 08:08 PM
being this is a 6+mph jump from your other runs, I'll say get a video showing back to back runs of 50+:popcorn2:

Shaun78
04-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I have hit 47.1 once.......48.0 earlier in the day and 50.7 on a windy day with chop. I cant even put up a photo here never mind a video. No-one has to believe me, t I have no reason to make it up. If Bosnical is around sometime I will have him video it.

Brushless55
04-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Damn dude, no reason to get all pissed

I don't know of any product right now that has been the biggest let down, specially with all the hype as with traxxas

Panama Jack
04-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Well guys I think we all hoe Traxxas a big apology.

bbosncali
04-03-2011, 10:12 PM
He was driving in his car with gps hit 50.7 and stopped.... lol. :just-kidding:

Ill get it on video this week. I need to gps my mg anyways...

JPriami
04-03-2011, 10:17 PM

Did you bump your head? Or have they paid you to say that? Lmao
Just because it was really windy today and the water was choppy. And these conditions helped the boat do 50 mph I'm not saying anything like oh yeah your right traxxas. Habahahahahah
Dosent count downwind of a 20+ mph gust pushing the boat over 50.

He still did it. But good luck doing it on a calm day

Shaun you still did it and congrAts. I'm not here to knock you or say you didnt do it. I'm just not saying traxxas was right lol.

Brushless55
04-03-2011, 11:34 PM

:laugh::roflol::laugh:

Brushless55
04-03-2011, 11:36 PM
He was driving in his car with gps hit 50.7 and stopped.... lol. :just-kidding:

Ill get it on video this week. I need to gps my mg anyways...

wish your all were closer, I'de love to help get some sweet video of the one and only stock 50mph spartan :biggrin:

Jeff Wohlt
04-03-2011, 11:38 PM
I could aways get almost 10 mph out of my bassboat with a nice chop...it does make a big difference. Don't laugh too hard.

Brushless55
04-03-2011, 11:59 PM
I always have faster speeds in slight chop!

Shaun78
04-04-2011, 06:00 AM
Most of the time it's almost flat calm...I agree, I will have to try again this week. I was very shocked and figured we could all use a pick me up for some hope on this boat. There is another guy ontraxxas forum. He said he hit 51.1????

Panama Jack
04-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Did you bump your head? Or have they paid you to say that? Lmao
Just because it was really windy today and the water was choppy. And these conditions helped the boat do 50 mph I'm not saying anything like oh yeah your right traxxas. Habahahahahah
Dosent count downwind of a 20+ mph gust pushing the boat over 50.

He still did it. But good luck doing it on a calm day

Shaun you still did it and congrAts. I'm not here to knock you or say you didnt do it. I'm just not saying traxxas was right lol.

LOL a did they pay me to say that.
I was been sarcastic. Come on JP you know better than any one that on stock gear the boat will never hit 50mph without something out of the ordinary.

But on that note have you seen the random posts that have been made on the traxxas forum of new members talking so good about the spartan and how they hit 49 or 50mph and that they don't overheat. Now those guys are geting paid or are on their payroll.

bbosncali
04-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Hey my hobbyking spatoon was clocked at 50.1+ :laugh:

Panama Jack
04-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Can you give me a link to that spatoon everyone is talking about?

JPriami
04-04-2011, 12:29 PM
HobbyKing Spatoon (http://traxxas.com/products/models/marine/5708spartan)

Brushless55
04-04-2011, 12:54 PM
HobbyKing Spatoon (http://traxxas.com/products/models/marine/5708spartan)

how much cheaper are they from Hobbyking? :lol:

Panama Jack
04-04-2011, 01:29 PM
If the mods at the traxxas forum find out about how we are behaving here they just might have to send the repoman to take our boats back.

Well here is a real question
The brass bushing on my strut is a bit worn out now and y wanted to know if any one has had bearings or something like that done to the strut or even changed the bushing mabye.

Shaun78
04-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Ya well bad news, i went to run today and YUP, it sputtered at slow speeds and didnt feel right, so i brought it back in removed my lipos and put the NIMHs in and drove around for 1.5 minutes. No sputtering on NIMH packs but when i hit throttle twice it did nothing, I brought the boat back after the 1.5 minute run and the packs were 180 degress and melting the caseing. I SEE A PROBLEM, maybe the ESC is bad, I called traxxas and sending it in. I dont want another ESC blowing up in my face, something was wrong, let them test it. NOW, they are all out of ESC's with no ETA. NOW WHAT????? now it might be time to find a motor and a water jacket thats in stock....SO, 50 MPH is a ONE TIME DEAL!!!!!

Brushless55
04-04-2011, 07:18 PM
I would try a new esc and see what that stock motor can do :popcorn2:

PDR447
04-04-2011, 07:36 PM
hahahaha, spartan: 50mph out of the box!**

**one time only

Shaun78
04-04-2011, 07:38 PM
sending in the motor and esc only, just in case

Brushless55
04-04-2011, 07:47 PM
sending in the motor and esc only, just in case

motor to?
that sucks! :crying:
how the hell did traxxass get low or mid 50's out of this thing and then without buring up!! :w00t:

bbosncali
04-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Can you give me a link to that spatoon everyone is talking about?

If you contact traxxas they will be happy to give you the link and details....

They are hobby kings sister company!!!

bbosncali
04-04-2011, 08:47 PM
motor to?
that sucks! :crying:
how the hell did traxxass get low or mid 50's out of this thing and then without buring up!! :w00t:

They got one run that's all they needed!!!!

shctexas
04-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Hey! you guys are behaving badly, I'm going to notify Peter at Traxxas! Hello Peter....Peter are you there?.......uhm Peter? Well, he seems to be out of the office today but rest assured I will leave a message. You've been warned!

shctexas
04-04-2011, 09:52 PM
PETER! We're at DEFCON 1 over here! Damage control, we're taking on water! We're going down Captain Pete.....quick get the word out that all is well.....buy some time so we can abandon project "SOS". They're all going down..... ahhhhhhhh, the humanity! :sinking:

Brushless55
04-04-2011, 10:13 PM
has anyone noticed, Peter has not returned to these forums lately :spy:

shctexas
04-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Yep, hence my "calling in the troops". He did make an appearance at T*****s today, though brief.

GeoVW72
04-04-2011, 11:24 PM
has anyone noticed, Peter has not returned to these forums lately :spy:

Yea, can of worms too deep for you Peter?

Anyone else get the feeling that he is acting the same as Nitro Chicken, "Please stop bashing" and "we're evaluating all your input"
we should be getting info/answers, but so far we got zip :confused1:

Anyway, Shaun78;
The motor and esc are toast, 6~8 min is around where the system melts down in a series cooling loop.
Same thing happened to me, motor gets too hot and dead shorts one of the channels on the esc.
Not sure how/when you temped it, but with mine the motor went up 30*f after I pulled the boat out and temped it the first time.

A series cooling loop(going from esc into the motor) only serves to compound the inherent issues with the power system.
Motor heat=amp draw
Amp draw=esc heat
The esc heat is transmitted to the motor and the cycle compounds itself until it melts down.
A parallel loop with a Y feeding the esc and motor directly has been the only way that has worked for me, an extra outlet doesn't hurt either :Peace_Sign:

Brushless55
04-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Yea, can of worms too deep for you Peter?

Anyone else get the feeling that he is acting the same as Nitro Chicken, "Please stop bashing" and "we're evaluating all your input"we should be getting info/answers, but so far we got zip :confused1:

hmmmm :popcorn2:

Panama Jack
04-05-2011, 01:38 AM
Man I give props to Peter for actually talking about the problems openly here on this forum, but traxxas has really left every man for him self on this.

After I made am my cooling mods for the spartan I was actually pritty happy with the boat, but I only got to run it around 20 times on 6S before the ESC quit. I even have the ESC on video when Tested it outside the boat and it started smoking, am going to upload it to you tube so every one can see it, including those hidden Traxxas spy's here on this forum.

Brushless55
04-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Bro if I we you I would read through and see just what it was that Peter said openly

Shaun78
04-05-2011, 10:02 AM
my motor temp was in the 140's and the esc was under 100. Never went into thermo mode, The motor temp at 140's isnt hot. Maybe the motor is no good and the spped controller is ok but I have no idea how to check the motor. The rotor color was uneven and there was a metal strip on the rotor but i have no idea

shctexas
04-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Thats what fried my motor. It never went into thermal...which was caused by the rubber cooling jacket leaking......and on and on.

Panama Jack
04-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Here is my video of my ESC.

I was driving the boat on 6S, the boat just stoped in the middle of the lake, when I got the boat back the motor would just move the prop side to side slowly. I took it home and when I plugged the stock batteries back in they heated up fast and the ESC burnt.

This ones for you (Peter)

http://www.youtube.com/user/epardo1025?feature=mhum#p/u

millzee
04-05-2011, 11:24 AM
I noticed when you were showing the over heated batteries that one of the solder of the ec5 was loose, did this become unsoldered due to the heat just in that short time? :confused2:

JPriami
04-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Can you smell what tha spartan is cooking!

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ktgatiaIwh1qzfnu1o1_500.png

I think it stinks a little

Humphrey
04-05-2011, 12:26 PM
:ThumbsDown01: Dont let that stuffed shirt peter come over here and try to bye time. come on guys! keep signing up with new names to troll on the t*****s NAZI (thanks jpriami!) forum! Once they no we are a huge anti t*****s h8 site the will be to scared to come here and spy. :w00t: replace all your pictures there with nasty pics too! they lied about everything on purpus :cursing: they just wanted to make a quik buk at our xpense and now they want to bury r results and all the truth we post here!!! if it was not for ose t*****s wood not no the albatross has any issues or that we have already solved them all! the t*****s forum would only have nice posts. :rofl: GeoVW72 you r the best! you act all caring and concernd on the t*****s forum and post the truth here!!! :bowdown: i luv this forum!!! :beerchug:

shctexas
04-05-2011, 01:13 PM

I was driving the boat on 6S, the boat just stoped in the middle of the lake, when I got the boat back the motor would just move the prop side to side slowly. I took it home and when I plugged the stock batteries back in they heated up fast and the ESC burnt.

Nope, nothing to see here people. Move along. :zip-up: Another "toast " product courtesy of T*****s!

Brushless55
04-05-2011, 02:04 PM
I think I know why Tower has not Spartans in stock
maybe traxxas has asked for the motors and speed controls out of them to ship to people who have burnt theirs up??? :spy:

Shaun78
04-05-2011, 03:29 PM
LOL, I needed a laugh. I have owned my boat for over a month but actually had good working parts for about 1.5 weeks.

Diesel6401
04-05-2011, 05:58 PM

I see you changed to ec5 connectors. I think I read somewhere that Traxxas won't warranty your esc if you change the connectors on it.

JPriami
04-05-2011, 06:04 PM
http://www.fatwallet.net/static/attachments/thumbnails/79572______church_lady.png

wilsta67
04-06-2011, 01:19 AM
I see you changed to ec5 connectors. I think I read somewhere that Traxxas won't warranty your esc if you change the connectors on it.

rofl yep was going to say the same thing lol

Panama Jack
04-06-2011, 01:25 AM
I noticed when you were showing the over heated batteries that one of the solder of the ec5 was loose, did this become unsoldered due to the heat just in that short time? :confused2:

Yes your correct, not only did the solder come off the ec5 plug, but it also came off from the actual traxxas battery. The heat was so intense that after the video the Black cable on the battery ended up on the floor. so both my solder and the factory traxxas solder gave up.

Alexgar
04-06-2011, 01:35 AM
If you ripped bunch people off would you show your face

bbosncali
04-06-2011, 01:36 AM
LOL, I needed a laugh. I have owned my boat for over a month but actually had good working parts for about 1.5 weeks.

What are you talking about??? You burnt your 1st esc up before it ever even seem water and now within a month either another esc or motor this time not to mention your temp sensor on your reciever wigged out so traxxas sent you another one. Granted they seem to take care of there customers but who wants to buy something that works a month at a time and then wait to fix it and do it all over again.... get it fixed sell it and but an mg or genesis or a custom v something that has been proven

Panama Jack
04-06-2011, 01:36 AM
rofl yep was going to say the same thing lol

Well I am in Panama and I really dont plan on sending it back. I will not use it again and even to sell it on ebay the shipping cost add up.

I already got my turnigy 180amp ESC and a tacon 1700kv and a neu-castle 1717 5mm shaft. Am going to try first with the tacon to se how it goes. and then am going to take my EC5 plugs of the ESC, and finaly tape how I take a sledgh hammer to the venelion ESC.

bbosncali
04-06-2011, 01:41 AM
If you ripped bunch people off would you show your face

Maybe with this boat I can understand the frustration but traxxas has put out some nice vehicles which I've owned and own. I won't go to mcdonalds and order a taco just because they sell it but I also dint think that it was gonna be this....bad

Alexgar
04-06-2011, 01:47 AM
I've owned n stampede n rustler n vee and villain and looking back after buying Losi and AE trucks and pb boats they were all a let down plastic toys with under powered motor I won't buy again did I forget to mention 4vxl escs I burnt up

Alexgar
04-06-2011, 01:50 AM
I have about the same amount of $ in my df29 not Inc the tx and I feel like I came out ahead

Alexgar
04-06-2011, 02:20 AM
Look at this for what it is HK style 30$ motor 50$ esc 20$ hdwre 50$ rx/tx 200$ plastic hull 30$ battS shame on you traxxas you could buy a pursuit with t180 4074 zippy packs for that

wilsta67
04-06-2011, 02:34 AM
Well I am in Panama and I really dont plan on sending it back. I will not use it again and even to sell it on ebay the shipping cost add up.

I already got my turnigy 180amp ESC and a tacon 1700kv and a neu-castle 1717 5mm shaft. Am going to try first with the tacon to se how it goes. and then am going to take my EC5 plugs of the ESC, and finaly tape how I take a sledgh hammer to the venelion ESC.

well mate if it makes you feel better i never sent my burnt esc back either i will never buy another traxxas product ever again. apart from parts to keep this piece of junk going and thats only flex cables and strut bushes at this stage .

dayne
04-10-2011, 03:58 AM
yea traxxas droped the ball so hard it popped on this one every time i run mine with my 3s after 5 maybe 7 mins the heat protect cuts on and the motor is soo hot i nearlly burned my self a couple time but i let it cool throught it back out there and then the batts die so yea but it has stopped working.....yet

Jacked1
04-15-2011, 02:14 AM
I never thought twice about getting a Spartan based of how great the villain was! I had to send my old XL1 esc in 3 times on the stock setup from it going poof until the warranty was up! Then I used a drill trigger and a servo and it never failed. Then the motors started to go bad! So I used cheap drill motors and got half again as much speed with components from 2 $20 18v drills which is less than traxxas charged for a new (crappy) esc at the time. And this was also faster than the Villain EX that came out a couple years after I did the mod. So after that I was done with traxxas. Especially in the boat department.

I would feel better getting a cheap boat from HK and modding it. The only boat I bought from HK was the surge crusher and went 40mph out of the box of 4s and got around 50 runs on it until I modded it. It comes as a crap box but was way more dependable than my villain ever was. I have less money in it than the cost of a Spartan and will run over 50 all day long with no problems.