PDA

View Full Version : Stock ESC burned up

highfly24
04-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Hey everyone, I was running my MG yesterday when it just stopped working. I charged batteried to make sure I didn't have a bad battery, blah blah blah the usual check over stuff. I took it out, and it was definitely burned. Smells like a burnt esc does. Anyone else have any problems? I am going to send it off and get a new one I hope, because it is still under warranty. I will probably put a different one in, but what is a good replacement ESC?

Diesel6401
04-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Hey everyone, I was running my MG yesterday when it just stopped working. I charged batteried to make sure I didn't have a bad battery, blah blah blah the usual check over stuff. I took it out, and it was definitely burned. Smells like a burnt esc does. Anyone else have any problems? I am going to send it off and get a new one I hope, because it is still under warranty. I will probably put a different one in, but what is a good replacement ESC?

What batts where you using?
What prop?
Stock motor?

* Seaking 120
* Hifei Swordfish 120
* Seaking 180
* Hifei Swordfish 200

LiPo Power
04-02-2011, 09:46 PM
If you did not change any from stock it will be replaced.
What was your set up?

highfly24
04-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Stock motor, and two 7.2 or 7.4v hard-case 5000 mAh lipos. stock prop, nothing was changed.

Diesel6401
04-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Stock motor, and two 7.2 or 7.4v hard-case 5000 mAh lipos. stock prop, nothing was changed.

* Any binding in the drive shaft & proper direction flex cable?
* Properly lubed shaft?
* Gap between the drive dog and the strut?
* Any half throttle or less then full throttle running the majority of the run?
* Any excessive turning/hard constant turning where the boat would be on/off plan often?

Any/All of those could lead to esc failure.

highfly24
04-03-2011, 02:02 AM
well, i mean i have to turn it, but not excessively, and no binding, the boat was running fine the last 3 of 4 runs, and everything was how it should be.

Diesel6401
04-03-2011, 02:07 AM
well, i mean i have to turn it, but not excessively, and no binding, the boat was running fine the last 3 of 4 runs, and everything was how it should be.

Yea I hope your turning lol. What I mean by excessive turning is a lot of new guys like to make super tight turns like trying to make the boat do a donut or tight figure 8 or something and it's just horrible for the esc.

You may be the 1 out of 100 that got a bad one. Horizon should cover it no problem, there customer service is awesome!

highfly24
04-03-2011, 02:10 AM
Yeah, I've dealt with their C.S. before, we fly planes, and we have bad stuff here and there, and they take care of it no problem! Thanks Diesel!

JimClark
04-03-2011, 04:20 AM
How long did you run it for?

Brushless55
04-03-2011, 03:40 PM
I think Horizon will send you a new one if you call them...

highfly24
04-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I'll give them a call tomorrow, and I've never had a problem with them.
and Jim, I would run it until it started driving really slow, but I had the ESC programmed with slow cut-off, lipo, and I had greased the flexshaft. It was probably time to re-grease it, but it was running just fine and then cut out. I'll send it to them.

LiPo Power
04-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Did you use programming card to swich your esc to lipo from NMH as this is set up for them as defoult?

pyroM!KE
04-04-2011, 02:28 PM
If you get a new esc from HH sell it and get a SK180..Especially if you plan on 5s running.. If you decide to keep the new esc and you dont have a programmer I have a stock esc programmer for sale..

Brushless55
04-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Did you use programming card to swich your esc to lipo from NMH as this is set up for them as defoult?

how is this done by the way? :confused1:

If you get a new esc from HH sell it and get a SK180..Especially if you plan on 5s running.. If you decide to keep the new esc and you dont have a programmer I have a stock esc programmer for sale..

you can run 5s on the stock esc :thumbup1:

Diesel6401
04-04-2011, 03:53 PM

It's easy with the card. http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/PRB3311_Programming_Module.pdf

Also set the motor timing to "HIGH" with the stock motor and make sure throttle curve is "LINEAR"

Yup you can run 5s. I been doing it for a while. Dis-able the bec and run a rx pack and change all the bullets over to 5.5mm or higher (stock 3.5mm & deans won't handle it)

Brushless55
04-04-2011, 04:00 PM
It's easy with the card. http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/PRB3311_Programming_Module.pdf

Also set the motor timing to "HIGH" with the stock motor and make sure throttle curve is "LINEAR"

Yup you can run 5s. I been doing it for a while. Dis-able the bec and run a rx pack and change all the bullets over to 5.5mm or higher (stock 3.5mm & deans won't handle it)

Awesome thank your for the link
I wonder if this card will work on a SV27 esc?:popcorn2:

pyroM!KE
04-04-2011, 04:19 PM

You can run 5s with the bec disabled..But from my experience I would not do it..Just sell the stock esc and then get the Sk180 esc..I will almost grantee you will eventually get one anyway..I tried 5s on the stock esc and went up in smoke the first time I tried..This is why Im giving you this advise..Also the SK180 esc is Wayyyyyyyy smoother than the stock esc..Youll love it..

Diesel6401
04-04-2011, 04:26 PM
You can run 5s with the bec disabled..But from my experience I would not do it..Just sell the stock esc and then get the Sk180 esc..I will almost grantee you will eventually get one anyway..I tried 5s on the stock esc and went up in smoke the first time I tried..This is why Im giving you this advise..Also the SK180 esc is Wayyyyyyyy smoother than the stock esc..Youll love it..

I think you overpropped on yours. As long as you keep the prop in the 42mm and lower range on 5s you shouldn't have a issue. I ran good on 5s with a x642... A grim 42x55 on 5s would be blast though. The seaking is smoother though especially on the low rpm side...

pyroM!KE
04-04-2011, 04:32 PM
I think you overpropped on yours. As long as you keep the prop in the 42mm and lower range on 5s you shouldn't have a issue. I ran good on 5s with a x642... A grim 42x55 on 5s would be blast though. The seaking is smoother though especially on the low rpm side...

Yeah I did..I used a m445..but there are guys here using that prop on 5s without any probs...I do agree with you Diesel but I would still recommend a 180..I wish I would have listened when I was wanting to go 5s..Then the 180 would have only cost me like 50 bucks..For what its worth, just my 2 cents..:laugh:

TheShaughnessy
04-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Yeah I did..I used a m445..but there are guys here using that prop on 5s without any probs...I do agree with you Diesel but I would still recommend a 180..I wish I would have listened when I was wanting to go 5s..Then the 180 would have only cost me like 50 bucks..For what its worth, just my 2 cents..:laugh:

I ran an m445 on 5s with my stock esc. But i agree with everyone else. try to sell that one and pick up a 120 amp speedo. I have the t120 from HK and it works great.

If your esc burnt up under normal conditions i can't see Horizon not replacing it. I have had nothing but great experiences with their customer support.

highfly24
04-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Same here.
And thanks for all of the help guys. who sells the SK180? and will the stock motor handle it? I'm wanting to maybe run 2 3-cell lipos in series just like it's set up now. so that is essentially a 6-cell battery.

pyroM!KE
04-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Same here.
And thanks for all of the help guys. who sells the SK180? and will the stock motor handle it? I'm wanting to maybe run 2 3-cell lipos in series just like it's set up now. so that is essentially a 6-cell battery.

Ohh yeah the SK180 will work great with the stock motor..Thats what I use and the esc runs slightly above cold on 5s..The motor runs about 100 deg..

Here.. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ker-seaking-180
This esc is the best value on the market!! awesome esc!!

Or here..Its the same esc.. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8937

Brushless55
04-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Ohh yeah the SK180 will work great with the stock motor..Thats what I use and the esc runs slightly above cold on 5s..The motor runs about 100 deg..
Here.. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ker-seaking-180
This esc is the best value on the market!! awesome esc!!

Or here..Its the same esc.. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8937

on the stock motor?
and what prop are you using?
thanks!

Diesel6401
04-04-2011, 09:22 PM
I do agree the seaking esc's have smoother throttle response and obviously the 120 and 180 can handle more amps and volts, but myself I don't mine the stock PB esc really at all. I have had 3 different motors on it (Stock, PB1800kv Stiletto motor and currently a CC1800kv outrunner) and it's works like a charm. I also logged amps into the 70s on it and 60amps constant on the stock 45amp esc. It's a very tough esc!

Brushless55
04-04-2011, 10:10 PM
how about the stock MG esc and motor in a Mean Machine on 5s?
maybe with a X440/3