PDA

View Full Version : Stock ESC Help

UrbanPoser
04-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Just got a new MG last week and took her on her maiden run today. It ran beautifully at first - no wah wah, handled a 10mph wind just fine and turned great. I only had the throttle up to about 1/2 power and she was flying!

Then about a minute into the fun, she just quit in the middle of the pond. Nothing. Just sat there. 5 minutes later got her back onshore thanks to the wind, and once I opened her up, smelled burning electronics. But nothing looks wrong - the esc doesn't show any burn or singe marks, and nothing was hot. Tried different batteries and still nothing - doesn't boot up and no power is going to the radio or the servo. The only thing I could see was one of the capacitors on the esc seems to be slightly puffed out the back. The thing reaks though. I think it's pretty clear the ESC blew, but I don't know why. I was running 7-cell nimh packs with the bec connected (don't have an rx pack yet), but others hear seem to have run the same packs with no problems (other than burning out the packs). Any ideas?

Do you think Horizon will warranty the ESC? I did switch over the esc connectors to Traxxas though...

Also, thinking about upgrading the ESC anyway. Any suggestions? Not looking for anything fancy, but I want it to be able to handle the inevitable upgrade to lipos and it to be durable and waterproof.

Can't wait to get her out again...

Nor Cal Chris
04-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I'am sorry to see that on your first runs!! I do not have experience with nimh batts but I think that if you did not over power the esc you should have a solid claim with horizon. I'am sure they will stand by thier product if there was no user error. if you do need a new stock ESC I have a new unused MG ESC if you want to buy it Good luck.

UrbanPoser
04-02-2011, 01:43 PM
yeah, me too. It was fun while it lasted...

Just got off the phone with Horizon...they're shipping a new ESC out to me on Monday. Great customer service!

Just so I don't blow the next esc, Do I need run an RX pack and disconnect the BEC if I'm going to run 7-cell nimhs? It's not like I'm cheating the voltage by a lot...

Diesel6401
04-02-2011, 09:48 PM
7 cell with bec connected and running half throttle prob lead to the failure. Running that voltage with the bec connected is really hard on the esc and then running half throttle on top of that really works the esc hard. Sounds like you pushed the esc to hard and it pushed back JMO...

Full wide open throttle is the best on the esc, running less the full makes the esc work very VERY hard. If you where making really sharpe turns the boat was getting on/off plane often all bad on the esc.

UrbanPoser
04-02-2011, 10:32 PM
So I'm guessing I should (A) disconnect the bec and run an RX pack, and (B) run at WOT as much as possible?

JMO, but it seems silly to have an ESC that can't throttle without quickly damaging it. Any suggestions on a relatively inexpensive but more robust ESC that can handle the higher voltage and partial throttle? I know I'm "pushing" the stock esc by running 7 cells, but the esc is supposed to be rated up to 20 volts input, and two 7-cell pack are well under that...

Maybe I just don't know enough about how these things work...

Diesel6401
04-02-2011, 10:42 PM
So I'm guessing I should (A) disconnect the bec and run an RX pack, and (B) run at WOT as much as possible?

JMO, but it seems silly to have an ESC that can't throttle without quickly damaging it. Any suggestions on a relatively inexpensive but more robust ESC that can handle the higher voltage and partial throttle? I know I'm "pushing" the stock esc by running 7 cells, but the esc is supposed to be rated up to 20 volts input, and two 7-cell pack are well under that...

Maybe I just don't know enough about how these things work...

BINGO!
You also should change the motor 3.5mm bullets to 5.5mm bullets. The extra rpm can add extra amp draw which the stock bullets don't handle very well.

The manual suggest 2 2s lipo's or 2 6 cell (7.2v) nimh batteries. Reason why they suggest that is so the esc can be run hard and by new guys meaning not wot all the time and still use the bec and be reliable

Even though the esc is rated at 21v you operated outside of the manufactors suggested setup. The reason they don't suggest that is because even though it can handle the voltage it's not reliable in stock form. Your esc was overworked. The combo of half throttle + the bec caused the esc to give up. If you would have either Ran more wot and or disconnected the bec it would prob still be working fine. I run my esc on 5s with out any issue, but I dis-connected the bec, changed the motor/esc wires to 5.5mm bullets and also use 5.5mm bullets on the batt side and run wot and it runs like a champ.

UrbanPoser
04-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks, Diesel. Just needed someone to make sense of it for me. I'll run the RX pack, try to drive less like a noob, and may just have to step up to Lipos sooner. Oh, and upgrade the bullets while I'm at it.

Are you running the stock ESC?

I guess the path to RC wisdom is littered with toasted parts. Just doing my part. :)

Diesel6401
04-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Thanks, Diesel. Just needed someone to make sense of it for me. I'll run the RX pack, try to drive less like a noob, and may just have to step up to Lipos sooner. Oh, and upgrade the bullets while I'm at it.

Are you running the stock ESC?

I guess the path to RC wisdom is littered with toasted parts. Just doing my part. :)

Yup I am still using the stock esc. Currently using a CC 1800kv outrunner with it though on 4s with a grim 42x55. It's a sport setup just to have some casual fun with.

* I never heard that before LMAO... That's funny stuff :laugh:.

lectriglide
04-03-2011, 11:49 AM
The path to RC wisdom is littered with toasted parts. Just doing my part. :)

You need to use that for your signature line - that's hilarious! :w00t:

UrbanPoser
04-03-2011, 12:27 PM
You need to use that for your signature line - that's hilarious! :w00t:

Thanks. At the rate I'm going, it's going to be true. :olleyes:

Brushless55
04-03-2011, 03:44 PM
that's cool they are sending a new one even when you changed the connectors
Horizon Rocks!

pyroM!KE
04-03-2011, 08:36 PM
I would sell the new esc and get a SK180..No more worries..