PDA

View Full Version : " I built it, sort of"

bwells
03-31-2011, 11:42 PM
When someone asks you if you built the boat, what is the correct answer? My reply would be that I put it together. Just wondering as I don't want to mislead somebody.

drwayne
04-01-2011, 06:01 AM
" I built it out of lego" same principles apply.. not the materials, ..the final product was created by these very 2 hands.......

egneg
04-01-2011, 06:17 PM
I am the Skipper of a scale boat club. Some are built from scratch, some are kits, and some are bare hulls that had all the stuff added. I feel the the end result is up to the builder and what he/she wanted to achieve. We can all take pride in a boat that runs well!

bwells
04-01-2011, 09:18 PM
OK, I'll go with that as I doubt anyone will build an ESC, motor, servo, rudder ETC. I think the finished product is what counts and adds all of the enjoyment.

drwayne
04-01-2011, 11:19 PM
OK, I'll go with that as I doubt anyone will build an ESC, motor, servo, rudder ETC. I think the finished product is what counts and adds all of the enjoyment.

The enjoyment of running something you've assembled yourself is priceless and treasurable
Tehn I got carried away , now I build my own esc, and most hardware ..I learned how ... ..
and after time and costs involved , it feels like Ive been paroled from the workshop ..... one mistake and Im back inside for more hard time !

all fun, no matter how you get them to the water.

W

:iagree:

bwells
04-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Yep, the first boat I put together is still my favorite, cost was way more than what it is worth but the learning experience and hands on fiddling is worth it to watch it run.

Flying Scotsman
04-02-2011, 02:06 AM
Yep, the first boat I put together is still my favorite, cost was way more than what it is worth but the learning experience and hands on fiddling is worth it to watch it run.

Wow is that ever true and you will not pry that boat from my hands it is still my pride and joy for FE....H and M no step one.. . my first boat apart from home built crap was a scale Dumas Dauntless ....took 5 years to complete.

Douggie

keithbradley
04-03-2011, 11:08 AM
I've thought the same thing when someone asks me: "Where'd you get that?"...usually because they want to go run down to the store and purchase one, as long as its under $100:lol:

My first build wasn't really quality, I rushed though it and just made it functional. I didnt have a problem getting rid of that one. The one I built after that, however, I take a lot of pride in. If you've ever ran a boat you built without flotation, and watched it start to go down, it hurts much worse than watching a boat you purchased from someone else.:crying:

I build some of the parts on some boats, and just buy some of the parts on others (mounts/hardware/ect) but I feel like I "built" them both to the same extent...I just think the ones I build more parts on are nicer because they are one of a kind, and they become more special to me.

siberianhusky
04-04-2011, 11:53 AM
All but two of my boats are scratch built, I usually explain the SV came just about like you see it. The big mono was assembled from parts you can buy, the others are scratch built from plans.
I'm not about to waste my time re inventing the wheel . Some hardware I build some I don't, if a stock piece will do I'll use it, if not I'll make something.
I personally don't think buying a hull and assembling the parts is "building" a boat, thats assembly. Nothing wrong with that at all. Different strokes for different folks, some people don't have the time, tools,space,skills or whatever to scratch build a hull.
People have different expectations in the hobby, I think I like building as much if not more than running my boats and take great pride in somebody admiring something that used to be a bunch of sheets of wood that I converted into a nice looking boat, much more than I get by gluing in a motor mount and drilling a few holes for hardware.
I can assemble a boat in a couple of evenings, I have 4 months into my current scale hydro!