PDA

View Full Version : Az WW IV SV 27 class

D. Newland
01-14-2008, 01:07 PM
For those that are signed up for the SV 27 Spec class, please discuss in this thread how you would like the class to be run.

Specifically, all SV 27 racers need to be on the same page with regards to what modifications will be/won't be allowed.

Please be specific. What you guys come up with is what we will run. There haven't been any Blackjack hulls signed up yet, so we'll cross that bridge if we ever get to it.

What props allowed? Hull modifications? Drive line/Hardware modifications?

Not sure if this will help or hurt, but looking at the group of racers we have signed up, I may be of the opinion that as long as you have an SV 27 hull, motor and ESC, then all else is open. Also, Howard (and Alan if he gets out here) will be holding an SV 27 setup clinic during the lunch hour on Friday and Saturday.

Randy-you've got a special pass to run in this class with your own hull, but we may need to talk about your eligiblity for the award that will be given to the winner of this class...

Darin Jordan
01-14-2008, 01:35 PM
David,

If you are interested, here are the rules used at the 2007 Nats... They'll need to be updated if you prefer the use of Lipos over NiMH, as right now they specify NiMH cells... Otherwise, these allow some slight bolt-on mods, but nothing that would make a boat built to the letter of the rules from being appreciably more competitive than an out of the box boat... Which was the goal and seemed to prove itself out at the Nats... May be a good starting point, if nothing else... I have these in Word .doc form if you would like a copy to use or modify from... Just let me know...

PSFMBC
Spec SV27 Class Rules

This class is a spec series for the AquaCraft SuperVee27® (SV27) RTR Brushless Mono in its stock form. Only a select set of well defined modifications will be allowed. The boat will otherwise remain OEM stock.

Spec SV27 races will be held as either a standard 5-Lap Sprint Race or a 10-Lap endurance race. The hosting club shall announce the official race length prior to date of the race.

Allowed Modifications:
The SV27 must remain in stock form, using only OEM parts as delivered, with the exception of the following allowances:

1. Factory flex cable assembly and motor coupler may be replaced with any .150” Flex cable assembly and appropriate motor coupler. The distance from the transom to the propeller shall not be altered. Motor output shaft may be trimmed to facilitate installation of motor coupler and to increase coupler to stuffing tube clearance.

2. Material may be removed at the forward end of the strut housing to eliminate interference with the transom, but no further aft than the leading edge of the strut’s vertical mounting bracket.

3. Holes in the stock trim tabs may be opened up to allow tabs to be aligned flush with the bottom of the hull. Alternate trim tabs may be fitted provided they serve no other purpose and that the wetted area does not exceed 33mm (1.3 in.) in length by 29mm (1.14 in.) in width. Alternate tabs may be adjustable. Alternate tabs must be mounted in the OEM location and have the width of the wetted area centered on this location.

4. Stock turn fin must be retained unmodified, but the leading edge may be sharpened. No modifications to the mounting bracket or bracket location are allowed. No additional fins are allowed. A mounting bracket for a left side fin may be present, but shall not be used.

5. Stock rudder may be sharpened and water cooling hole may be cleaned up to improve cooling. No other modifications to rudder are permitted.

6. Motor Water cooling jacket may be replaced. Water cooling outlet may be modified or replaced. Water cooling tubing may be replaced.

7. Receiver and transmitter may be replaced. An FM Radio package is recommended.

8. Any antenna may be used. Holes may be drilled in the hull to mount a replacement antenna, provided they serve no other purpose. Existing antenna hole may be filled or covered.

9. The hull, from the chines up, may be painted or have graphics applied as desired. Hull bottom may be “scuffed”, but must otherwise remain stock.

10. Any adjustment within the designed range of adjustment for any part is permitted. No part may be modified to provide adjustment beyond the given factory tolerances.

11. Fasteners may be replaced with metric or standard replacements.

12. The forward portion of the wooden battery tray may be modified or removed and velcro may be added to facilitate adjusting battery location forward.

13. Hatch may be taped down. Factory locking mechanism may be removed and existing holes filled or taped over.

14. Battery requirements: Any capacity Sub-C NiMh 12-cell battery set will be permitted. OEM connectors shall be retained.

15. OEM propeller shall be used. Propeller may be cleaned up to remove flashing, but must otherwise remain unmodified.

Alternately, a hosting club may specify a propeller for an event, provided they supply supplemental regulations clarifying the propeller selection. The host club must take measures to insure that all propellers for the event are prepared as equitably as possible and to notify competitors in advance of the propeller selection.

Records shall only be maintained using the OEM propeller as specified above.

No other modifications or substitution of parts is permitted. Any repairs required do to race damage must be done in a fashion so as to return the SV27 to it’s factory specifications. Inspection for compliance with these rules will be at the discretion of the event CD, and boats exhibiting modification or unauthorized repairs beyond the scope of these rules will be excluded from competition.

Supplemental Propeller Regulations:

In an attempt to promote balanced and fun competition for all experience levels, propellers for the Spec SV27 class shall be provided to the competitors by the hosting club of the 2007 NAMBA Fast Electric Boat Racing National Championships, in conjunction with AquaCraft Models™ and GrimRacer™ Boat Parts and Accessories.

The Propeller specified for the 2007 NAMBA Fast Electric Nationals will be the AQUACRAFT GRIMRACER 42x55 METAL PROP, AquaCraft part number: AQUB9725.

Procedure:
The propellers supplied for the event shall be placed into a bowl or other suitable container, the propeller pool, prior to the start of the event, and kept at a designated location.

Before each heat, entrants shall gather with the officials at the designated location and draw a propeller from the container. The propeller the competitor draws shall be used for that heat by that competitor. The propeller may not be modified in any way.

At the end of a heat, the propellers are to be returned to the event officials at the designated location to be inspected and placed back into the propeller pool.

This procedure will be repeated for each subsequent heat at the event.

Any competitor competing with a propeller that has been modified to gain a competitive advantage shall be disqualified from that heat. Repeat infractions shall result in disqualification from the event.

Any propellers that appear damaged or are deemed unacceptable shall be removed from the pool and replaced with a new propeller.

Flyguy55
01-14-2008, 04:54 PM
WW IV is a laid back race
To keep it simple , no tech inspection required...

Stock hull ( except Black Jack or BBY LOL )
Stock Motor and ESC - any cooling jacket ( if were going to run a mi )
Any prop
any trim tabs
any turn fin , port side fun OK
Lipos allowed

Bill-SOCAL
01-15-2008, 08:46 PM
I am up for anything that is in line with the spirit of the WW event. It is not the NATS so perhaps a bit more latitude can be allowed.

I would really like to use lipos. I run 4S1P 3700 packs with the Dean's connectors.

I have a port fin, mostly because I like how it looks. I can take it off, leave it on, makes no difference.

My hatch tapes down.

I have added two small wood trays forward of the stock for my packs to sit on. I moved the water outlet forward for clearance of the packs.

I have an OSE water jacket.

I'm OK with the GrimRacer 42x55, or any prop. Just let me know.

I scuffed the bottom. The rest of the hardware is stock. I use a Futaba FASST 2.4 radio.

D. Newland
01-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Bill-I think we're really close to having this nailed down. Darin did a terrific job with his SV 27 ruleset, but it's too involved for me and our race, especially knowing who's signed up to race them.

One last thing before we nail this down. Dick-Do you have access to a Grim 42x55 prop? Are you OK with running it? Howard's in with that prop. How about John?

If all can agree on a prop, we're done with this.

Bill-SOCAL
01-16-2008, 06:59 PM
I can likely procure as many GrimRAcer 42x55 props as needed. Does that help??

Would we be running them box stock or will balancing be allowed, etc??

D. Newland
01-17-2008, 01:55 PM
My feeling is balanced/sharpened allowed.

Darin Jordan
01-17-2008, 01:58 PM
My feeling is balanced/sharpened allowed.

You'll want that... they have some slag and imperfections on them from the factory... so they differ a little from prop to prop...

Grim was excellent to us in 2007... he brought about 20 prepped (balanced and sharpened) AC 42x55 props to the Nats... then let us keep them at the end of the day! :buttrock: The boats were all very close in performance... and it turns out that setup and driving were what separated the winners from the rest of us! ( I only finished ONE heat... then figured out later the 'secret' to keep things upright... thanks to Ken Haines!! :doh: )...

D. Newland
02-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Let's finalize this.

As long as you have an SV 27 hull, motor, ESC and Grim 42X55 s/b prop, we're good to go. Randy has a pass on his hull with the exception that the Flightpower give-away to the winner will be only for SV 27 hull racers.

Sound ok?? Bill, if you can snag 1 or 2 extra props, that will ensure everyone has one.

Bill-SOCAL
02-06-2008, 08:56 PM
I'll see what I can do. Although I doubt I can get S&B.

D. Newland
02-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Oh-I'm sorry...don't worry about tuning them. We'll take care of that at the race.

Flyguy55
02-11-2008, 09:12 PM
I have a couple featured Grim props on the way

Dick

Apples1
02-12-2008, 04:58 AM
sorry to run off topic..... does anyone know of any Blackjack rule and regs for racing? i am keen to start up a class.

Flyguy55
02-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi John
I haven't heard od Black Jack one design racing .
I saw one Raced in Puedlo CO
Where do you live?