PDA

View Full Version : ProBoat 60A ESC on 6S???

Darin Jordan
03-29-2011, 10:24 AM
OK Guys... I'm going to attempt some testing this weekend using an out of the box Stiletto, running on 6S. I'm going to swap on a 1500KV Miss Geico motor, but otherwise, will be running the boat pretty much right out of the box.

Has anyone tried this WITHOUT pulling the red wire for the BEC? Results?

Has anyone run this combo on 6S before, and what were the results?

Come on, guys... let's hear about your experiences running these higher Voltages...

Not sure if the tunnel is the right place to do this, but we have a race this weekend, and they are offering "Open" tunnel, so I figured, what the heck!! :thumbup1:

Hydromaniac
03-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Hey Darins sounds like fun. I have not pushed the esc personally but one of the guys in our club enjoys pushing things past it limits. Last season he ran his lso boat which has a black jack 26 motor and esc in it on 6s he did not make any changes to the boat. he ran the set up for 2-3 minutes with no ill effects granted the esc and motor came in hot but it held up and everything survived. I might be wrong but if my memory is correct he has even went as high as 8s just to see if it would take it.

ron1950
03-29-2011, 10:51 AM
wouldnt the 1800 motor be better ? or is it too many rpm for that motor?

Brushless55
03-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Oh man!
I'm taging along for this one Darin :rockon2:
I just picked up a new MG motor and esc from the swap shop and want to run it on 5s in a DF29, now maybe 6s..

Fluid
03-29-2011, 11:54 AM
I believe the 1800 Kv motor will not work well on 6S for oval. Or at least the ESC won't last long if run for more than a minute or two - the amp draw will be high. 1500 Kv motors are well-proven on 6S setups, although even they are pretty high rpm.

ron1950
03-30-2011, 06:19 PM
any news on this thread?

Brushless55
03-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Darin, do you know what prop your going to try first?

Darin Jordan
03-30-2011, 08:55 PM
I believe the 1800 Kv motor will not work well on 6S for oval. Or at least the ESC won't last long if run for more than a minute or two - the amp draw will be high. 1500 Kv motors are well-proven on 6S setups, although even they are pretty high rpm.

Jay, I agree it's a little high on the KV. I'll prop accordingly. Not sure which prop yet, but I'm thinking and X438 or X440 might be where I start. Looking at around 37,000 RPM to start... Pretty high.

We'll have to see. I asked the ProBoat people and they said the BEC will work on 6S, and they also want me to push it and find out, so that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to be running an Eagle Tree if I can make it fit into the boat, so we'll get some real numbers.

Brushless55
03-30-2011, 09:34 PM
I asked the ProBoat people and they said the BEC will work on 6S, and they also want me to push it and find out, so that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to be running an Eagle Tree if I can make it fit into the boat, so we'll get some real numbers.

that is cool if the esc can run on 6s and not burn up, specially the bec :thumbup1:

PDR447
04-04-2011, 07:39 PM
weekend's past... results?

Brushless55
04-04-2011, 07:41 PM
:popcorn2:

Darin Jordan
04-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Only got one full run on it... 6-laps without a hitch. Boat drove and handled great. No idea on the actual speed, but certainly faster.

Temps and everything were fine afterwards, but the 3.5s were about to fall off. I resoldered them on for the next round, but the batteries had waken up and the ESC seemed to have armed itself into an on-off switch. Flipped the boat onto it's back on initial launch. Got it back in and tried again, with similiar results, so I parked it.

The stock ESC is currently just too touchy to try to make 6S work in a tunnel. In the MG or something else, it's viable. More testing needed to figure out how long.

I'll have to see if I can work with ProBoat to get a little finer control in the steps on the throttle for these ESCs.

Brushless55
04-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the update Darin
does the esc need reprogramed?

Darin Jordan
04-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the update Darin
does the esc need reprogramed?

I don't know for sure... I know the code in the original ones was such that they have a pretty hard startup, and you can't currently reprogram that part.

I will play with it some more after the LA SAW. I'm kind of focused on getting ready for that right now. :thumbup1:

lonneyb
06-06-2011, 06:38 PM
What does BEC stand for? ...I know What the ESC is ...