PDA

View Full Version : 6s ul1

ncornacchi
03-27-2011, 07:06 AM
thought I'd share some pics of my frankenstein UL1 build....Nothing special, but I enjoyed fitting her up...CC240HV, Nue 15151Y, Hyperion 3S2P Jeff Woltz wire drive and strut, custom dual water pickup rudder...Had to cut out the tub to fit the batts and reinforced all inside

ncornacchi
03-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Used these buchanans found at any Home Depot to adapt the cap bank to the heavy castle wires, they press together and fir right into the Etti cap bank

ncornacchi
03-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Also used these buchanans to press into 5.5mm bullets to receive the 2-10awg castle leads....I finally stumbled onto this method because I could never get a clean and solid connection to the short barrelled bullets...I don't know why they don't male them a few mm longer to accept the heavy gauge and get some decent solder in them

ncornacchi
03-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Painted her snakeskin pearl metalic green, got rid of the cheasy ul motor bracket, plus with the larger batts I wanted to fit an etti mount...had to raise it up of channel because water jacket on nue was hitting the deck...made a CF esc mount and relocated servo to rear

ncornacchi
03-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Got the motor and JW drive mounted...with Kintec bearings at shaft and teflon spacer at strut & dog..blocked the shaft and epoxied for not movement, used the vacum cap trick and loaded shaft with speed grease....No teflon liner this time my other UL's have been using JW drives with teflon and they are holding up fine, i just wanted to try the other way for a change

ncornacchi
03-27-2011, 07:43 AM
layed in some anti-static foam rubber for batts, slid pool noodle strips down both sides..batts snuggle in nice up against sponson struts inside (2'nd generation UL) , tried this whole build with another hull this past winter on gen-1 and it was too weak, and after I had structurally supported it with balsa and glass it got too heavy, its on the boat boneyard shelf....Funny thing, after I opened up the hull to fit the batts, I realized that I didn't have to use those dam hull plugs and sit my boat on end to weep water, it's all open now, that's how I ended up using what looks like a water exhaust tube on the transom, it's just plugged...btw, on the last set of picks, I used clear shrink wrap over shaft to strut, I don't think I'll cause that much turbulence, and I know, I have to file down the teflon bushing at the drive dog, it does stick out

ncornacchi
03-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Drove myself crazy trying to figure out how to fasten the batts down...velcro wouldn't work, I couldnt get the batts halfway slid in when the stuck in place...used an upside down ss cabinet screw insert...receiver batts sitting up front

Gen
03-27-2011, 07:52 AM
interesting ,show us some video when you get it done ,,

im throwing a castle 2200 and a castle 240 on 5s in my 2nd gen ul1 to just go crazy fast and break the dam thing ,so ill have an excuse to get the phill thomas stealth i wanna get :laugh::laugh:

ncornacchi
03-27-2011, 07:52 AM
made a cf base to slide over stud and spread batts into rubber at sides of sponsons...cf top plate goes on top with wing nut...batts aren't going anywhere....plumbed her up...tossing an M445 on

ncornacchi
03-27-2011, 07:59 AM
threw a Kintec bracket and turn fin on...another nice feature: I can get at the through bolts for bracket inside through the batt opening finally....No more chasing loose turn fins and water leaks! She sits next to her sister the hpr115...I promised myself I wouldn't start another project until I finished the UL first, plus I needed some more confidence in myself by hacking up a UL before putting a tool to an hpr

RCKong
03-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Nice job !

BTW a little trick with the velcro ( I had the same thing happen) - put some paper under the battery, slide bat in pull paper out... wal - ahh !!

D&D
03-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Great build! I've been wondering what my 1515.1Y would do in a UL1 and you used almost the same "parts" that I have/use already..

Can't wait to see how it runs and what props you select.

sailr
03-27-2011, 09:53 AM
What department at Home Depot has the "Buchanans"? I've never heard of them. What is their original intended purpose?

Also used these buchanans to press into 5.5mm bullets to receive the 2-10awg castle leads....I finally stumbled onto this method because I could never get a clean and solid connection to the short barrelled bullets...I don't know why they don't male them a few mm longer to accept the heavy gauge and get some decent solder in them

dana
03-27-2011, 10:57 AM
threw a Kintec bracket and turn fin on...another nice feature: I can get at the through bolts for bracket inside through the batt opening finally....No more chasing loose turn fins and water leaks! She sits next to her sister the hpr115...I promised myself I wouldn't start another project until I finished the UL first, plus I needed some more confidence in myself by hacking up a UL before putting a tool to an hpr

wow norm the boat looks excellent! i love the color :rockon2: have you put an air damn on it yet? hopefully next weekend is good weather and a couple of us can get together and have a little fun :banana: can wait to see this thing go

Gen
03-27-2011, 11:17 AM
yer use tha air dam definetly needed with 6s and the 1515

Brushless55
03-27-2011, 11:25 AM
:popcorn2:

ncornacchi
03-27-2011, 07:10 PM
What department at Home Depot has the "Buchanans"? I've never heard of them. What is their original intended purpose?

They are an electrical crimp for ground wires...they make em small for 2-#14 and larger for 2-#12;s

ncornacchi
03-27-2011, 07:13 PM
yeah on the air dam...I wanted to see her run first, then work the air dam...at one point, I had a small piano hinge on the bottom with a linear servo that was going to work the air dam down on channel-3, but I moved on and figured I'd apply it later

pribco
03-27-2011, 07:25 PM
My only question is how the heck do you keep your shop so shipshape???

blizard05
03-27-2011, 07:34 PM
My only question is how the heck do you keep your shop so shipshape???

He has the maid come in on Tuesdays:popcorn2: Norm hope to see you soon :rockon2: Larry

dana
03-27-2011, 07:49 PM
yeah on the air dam...I wanted to see her run first, then work the air dam...at one point, I had a small piano hinge on the bottom with a linear servo that was going to work the air dam down on channel-3, but I moved on and figured I'd apply it later

norm, the best thing to try is just double side tape a piece of windsheid wiper underneath. takes about 1 minute to do. then if you dont like it you can easily remove. try it without first, then run it with the airdamn. i noticed an improvement in mine for sure

knpc
03-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Looks great Norm. It's a fun project to see what a RTR hull is capable of with a new powerplant, added wieght, and other mods. It should give my Insane hydro a run for it's money now. If this boat doesn't dethrone me as "king of the pond", I know the hull in the backround will shortly:smile:.

See you soon
Kevin

6sHyper
03-27-2011, 08:43 PM
boat looks super nice, love the paint! should be a rocket! video to come soon i hope?

ncornacchi
03-28-2011, 05:35 AM
thanks guys, I think that next time the boys get together down here, dana can bring his video camera for some video...kevin, you still are the king of the pond, no one has
de-throned you yet...I really just wanted to have some fun with hacking up a UL1 !

Brushless55
03-28-2011, 11:04 AM
boat looks super nice, love the paint! should be a rocket! video to come soon i hope?

:iagree:
I can't believe this thing is going to se 6s! :buttrock:

6sHyper
03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
:iagree:
I can't believe this thing is going to se 6s! :buttrock:

what length is the UL1?? I ran my Red Evo (22") on 6s once, it was flippin nutty!:buttrock:

Killer V
03-28-2011, 08:56 PM
I must say that is superb work. You have reinvented the UL-1. What a great job.

My guess is 62 mph. Let me know of I am right. Oh, and that's before it takes off and you can fly it like an Airplane.

Good luck on the maiden voyage.

All the best,

Killer V

Brushless55
03-28-2011, 09:00 PM
I wonder how a V940/3 prop would fair on this one?

dana
03-28-2011, 10:20 PM
I must say that is superb work. You have reinvented the UL-1. What a great job.

My guess is 62 mph. Let me know of I am right. Oh, and that's before it takes off and you can fly it like an Airplane.

Good luck on the maiden voyage.

All the best,

Killer V

it really is superb work. norm has been workin those those hulls for a while now, and i think he hit 60 last year....if anyone knows a ul-1 its him. i really hope the weather is good this weekend, i would love to get it together. and yes i have the video camera ready to go:thumbup1:

ncornacchi
03-29-2011, 05:02 AM
Yeah, I hit 59.6mph last year on the 4S 1515Y M445....Definitely gonna need an air dam, but with the added weight, I wanted to see how she reacts at first w/o air dam...No clue what to use for a prop...

ncornacchi
04-12-2011, 09:14 AM
This is the water bottle tester that I always use.....execpt this time......

ncornacchi
04-12-2011, 09:15 AM
And this is the leak I could have caught.....

ncornacchi
04-12-2011, 09:19 AM
So, this is what happens when you don't do a final check...I checked all components as I was building, but the last check should have been done before her maiden.....water shorted out main batts.....stupid mistake......But I figure, if you're gonna show a build, you better show its' demise to remind us all....it takes a winter to build and a minute to ruin...stupid, stupid, stupid..

Vortech C5
04-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Sorry to see that!:(
You will be up and running in no time! Just stay positive! Your build ideas are nothing short of amazing!!!!
Like you said, you know where the weak links are and it will be better than ever!:)
Best of luck to you!!!
Ray

dana
04-12-2011, 06:13 PM
oh no! norm that sux.... are you gonna repair, or just move on?

RCKong
04-12-2011, 06:59 PM
accidents happen - don't let it get ya... a couple of weeks ago my custom Viper hydro LSH boat got the receiver wet and went across the pond WOT and was destroyed.:doh:
Yours looks salvageable. Remember 1/2 the fun is the build.
It looks like you might be able to tape it off at the edge of the lid seal and just refinish the inside.

ncornacchi
04-13-2011, 06:06 AM
Yeah, I'll fix her....Thanks for the support guys.......Sometimes it can get frustrating...I really wanted to show the pics just to remind us all how important the final checks are.....I put her aside for a while to let her (and me) cool down a bit, and re-directed my energy into the hpr115 for a while, here's where I'm at......