PDA

View Full Version : Radio distance

Gary
03-25-2011, 09:53 PM
As recomended by others forum members I bought a Airtronics Mx3 2.4 radio system for increased range in my boats and car over my Hitec FM. I have found that the advertised 1000ft range is not true on water. I can radio check at over 150 yards on land with no problem {with boats}even with the antena down and never had an issue, even with my car, but the boats always seem to loose contact far away and then pick up/reset again. Airtronics is telling me that being on water will have less distance. Im thinking that mabe the boat is farther out than I think since large bodies of water make things seem somewhat closer than they really are ....who knows. Anyone run into range issues with there 2.4 radios on water?

Fluid
03-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I can run my race boats out to a measured 100 yards with the FASST PK4 and never problem. No reason to run farther out, that was just a test on cool-down laps. With my older, original Spektrum 2.4 (not the current version) I occasionally had problems at closer range, in carbon hulls mostly.

SweetZ28
03-25-2011, 10:19 PM
buy a cheap $20.00 flysky radio like this one here they go great in boats my range with my tactik radio was short flysky 2.4 i have not lost range yet!

top 3 radios on the page spend 25 bucks FREE shipping!
http://www.hobbypartz.com/flyskytxrx.html

Gary
03-26-2011, 10:56 AM
I am starting to think that i am sending my boats out alot further than im thinking. I will try and get a "foot" count as to the distance. My problem at one paticular lake is that I stand at the end and bring the boat towards me. At my big lake I stand in the middle and have the boat pass me. Im guessing 100yards to my left and 100yards to my right, not 200yards to me. With my car I will also stand in the middle. I will check this out today. Sweet z28 those are some low priced radios for sure!!

Flying Scotsman
03-26-2011, 11:38 AM
I will enter into this fray wiith the adage you get what you pay for...I use a Spektrum DX3S (marine ability) with marine receivers.

Douggie

SweetZ28
03-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I will enter into this fray wiith the adage you get what you pay for...I use a Spektrum DX3S (marine ability) with marine receivers.

Douggie

:Shame_on_You:Not always true!!

:cool2:I will bet my Ko propo mars, mars R (not shown) & EX10 helios equipped with the flysky 2.4 modual and there $7.00 RX's will keep up or even out do your spektrum radio...I had spektrum no difference felt from the 2 that's why i sold all my spektrum and went with Flysky 2.4 in the KO radios!

Flying Scotsman
03-26-2011, 01:07 PM
You have to be fair in comparisons that is not a marine Spektrum system but your system looks good for the bucks.

Douggie

SweetZ28
03-26-2011, 02:35 PM
You have to be fair in comparisons that is not a marine Spektrum system but your system looks good for the bucks.

Douggie

Also had the marine spektrum in a brushless shockwave 26 no differance...and hated all those antennas!