PDA

View Full Version : New toy coming(some toy)

Eodman
01-11-2008, 01:24 PM
OK I should have a new boat soon!

So now for the questions: What should I power it with? It's just for sport and trying to keep up with SJFE when we run together!

Will the new ESC's that OSE sells work with the motors being recommended or should I use Hyra 120's?

Batteries --- 4S or 6S

Props??????

I want it fast but still controllable in turns!

Thanks Guys! And many thanks to WickedGMC for the boat!

SJFE
01-11-2008, 04:55 PM
If you want to run with me here are your options.
4s-2p
Feigao 8 or 9XL 36mm or KB8XL 45mm.
120 amp esc minimum!!!
Props K40 K42 X440 X440-3 X442 or X637
I Run a Dss radio so AM FM what evers fine. My brothers on FM.
Let me know what you decide.

Mich. Maniac
01-11-2008, 07:26 PM
trying to keep up with SJFE? Start by adding about 20LBS to hull. that should slow you down enough to run even with him!:ohmy: :roflol:

Mich. Maniac
01-11-2008, 07:43 PM
On the serious though I would like, and I know most dont wanna waste money. However I would like to see someone run a higher turn motor such as 12-13XL with a huge 3 or 4 blade prop. We all know that hull is extremely fast and with its size I would imagine it could handle the torque of a larger prop. Running 4S 2P with the batteries in the outside of hull there might not be much prop roll or twisting on hole-shot either. I have the Maritimo which I ordered through Andrew at Fe electrics and He had it to me in about 3 weeks. Anyways, I am running twins so same rules dont apply. I just havent seen anyone run a setup like I speak of in a while.

wickedgmc
01-11-2008, 10:46 PM
I was going to run it on a pair of 8xl's and have a set of left and right turning cf props and a pair of m447 which I think were going to run very well on this boat.

I am not 100% on whether I sell the motor and 2 esc's yet, I will let you know if you are interested.

Mich. Maniac
01-11-2008, 10:53 PM
oh, my bad on that one guys. I thought this was the single. You have the twin. sorry again. :doh:

robby76
01-12-2008, 12:13 AM
On the serious though I would like, and I know most dont wanna waste money. However I would like to see someone run a higher turn motor such as 12-13XL with a huge 3 or 4 blade prop. We all know that hull is extremely fast and with its size I would imagine it could handle the torque of a larger prop. Running 4S 2P with the batteries in the outside of hull there might not be much prop roll or twisting on hole-shot either. I have the Maritimo which I ordered through Andrew at Fe electrics and He had it to me in about 3 weeks. Anyways, I am running twins so same rules dont apply. I just havent seen anyone run a setup like I speak of in a while.

look at this link; http://www.rcflix.com/photopost/showgallery.php?mcats=&si=sea+terror&what=allfields&name=&when=0&whenterm=&condition=and

if that doesn't work, login to rcflix & run a search on sea terror.
twin drive feiago 10XLs 16 cell ni-mh geared 1.2:1 pulling 70 - 90 amps on X447 L&R top speed 44 mph gps, hextronic 120

G Doggett
01-12-2008, 03:44 AM
My twin Jolly has 2 Feigao 8XLs, Hydra 120 ESCs with 2 times 12 cells.
The props are counter rotating K40s or X442s.
It pulls a pretty impresive wheelie on take off, porpoises like mad until near max speed and then goes for it.
Cornering is not this hulls strongest point as it tends to hop up and down regardless of strut trim or c/g.
Every video I have seen of this hull with twin or single prop shows this porpoising at medium speed and hopping in the turns. ( Even the promotion video from Toysport ).
Dont get me wrong, this is an awesome boat and lots of fun , but it is no race boat.
I get the impression it has been designed to go very fast in a straight line only, but back off for the turns.
Much the same as full size offshore cats really.
It sure looks good though.
Graham.

robby76
01-12-2008, 11:41 AM
true:iagree: for any offshore cat.
the full size cats don't race in an oval course. sure they have some turns and they do throw in an oval just to slow the head cat up.

SJFE
01-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Every video I have seen of this hull with twin or single prop shows this porpoising at medium speed and hopping in the turns. ( Even the promotion video from Toysport ).

You umm...Need to revisit my latest videos. I get very little to no hop now. I can also crank the rudder over hard @ WOT and she just guts and takes off in the other direction. IMO there is to much weight foward in the twin hulls and its causing the turning issues. After I removed the big KB and moved my packs back a few inches the boat began to behave perfeclty. I also make sure the rudder is tucked under full.

Eodman
01-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Sj I'm using Spektrum pistols now for motors & ESC 's we will have to see!

Eodman
01-12-2008, 01:26 PM
I was going to run it on a pair of 8xl's and have a set of left and right turning cf props and a pair of m447 which I think were going to run very well on this boat.

I am not 100% on whether I sell the motor and 2 esc's yet, I will let you know if you are interested.

Keep me posted ----- All depends on how quickly I can rebuild my mad money!

Mich. Maniac
01-12-2008, 01:38 PM
You umm...Need to revisit my latest videos. I get very little to no hop now. I can also crank the rudder over hard @ WOT and she just guts and takes off in the other direction. IMO there is to much weight foward in the twin hulls and its causing the turning issues. After I removed the big KB and moved my packs back a few inches the boat began to behave perfeclty. I also make sure the rudder is tucked under full.

:iagree: He has got it figured out.

G Doggett
01-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Sounds good SJFE.
Can you tell me what c/g you have found works best ?
I must have another try to get mine sorted .
graham.

SJFE
01-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Graham when I get my new motor I will set the boat up as if it where going in the water. Then run I'll put a measuring tape down the inside of the hull in a few diffrent places & take pictures of where I have everything. You should be able to see where you need things to be. If you need any other information let me know. I can weigh the hull if you like..what ever.
Tom:).