PDA

View Full Version : New Miss Geico hull or is there a better option?

Nor Cal Chris
03-24-2011, 12:48 AM
I had just finished installing a new turnigy 180 amp ESC and wanted to take it out to test the new esc after programming it. Everything was running great and staying cool until I hit a ufo and it tweaked my rudder and the steering became sluggish and retarted. I pulled the boat in towards the concrete retaining wall I was standing on so I could check out the rudder and as I realized I needed to do some work to the rudder I (rookie move) switched my controller to off to grab the boat, well I don't know if I programmed the esc wrong or if this would have happened anyway, but as soon as I switched the controller to off the boat went to full throttle paralell to the wall for twenty feet and then slammed into a concrete pillar at about 35 mph !!!:cursing::crying: the whole front of the boat is literally blown up. :crying::mad: This is my first FE boat and I love it, But do you think that I should just buy a new MG hull for the $198.00 or get a 32" HOR for cheaper and paint it and transfer the esc, motor, rx and rudder to a different hull. Any recomendations are appreciated.. I'am getting a new hull but I just want to know wich one will take the mostly stock MG componets or if there is a better option. Thanks!

Diesel6401
03-24-2011, 01:27 AM
Ouch... Sorry to here about that bud. unfortunately you found out never to turn the radio off before unplugging the boat. On the Spektrum dx series radio's you can actually program fail safes to prevent that from happening.

As for your question I think you should grab another MG hull. JMHO. I had a HOR twin I just sold and I liked it but I feel the MG is better plus you have everything already for it. The stock MG motor wouldn't be the greatest choice for the HOR either.

Nor Cal Chris
03-24-2011, 02:12 AM
Thanks D, I was thinking I was going to bite the bullet and order another Mg anyways. I still feel sick from the whole deal but, live and learn I guess. I love the MG hull, I had that boat running soooo good before the accident. I'll get the next one dialed in too :) Thanks again for all of your help.

dirty
03-24-2011, 08:06 AM
why not just pay a 100 more and get a whole new mg,and have extra parts?

tunnelvision
03-24-2011, 09:23 AM
HOR is a different animal more for just straight line speed. Another option is the Aeromarine Mean Machine hull. I just picked one up and its built better than the MG with more room on the inside. You can get one from aeromarine clearance for $60 plus shipping!! Much cheaper option, jmho.

Nor Cal Chris
03-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for your input, I'am really considering just buying a whole new MG RTR but I will look into the mean machine also. Thanks guys.

eboat
03-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Nothing wrong with having 2 boats MG and MM

Diesel6401
03-24-2011, 03:01 PM
MM are GREAT running hulls. May want some more power then a stock MG motor though. Not that it wouldn't work, but stick a Leopard 4074 in there and take advantage of the hull. The 29" skunk cats run great too. I love my Skunkcat , its my favorite hull to that I own.

tunnelvision
03-24-2011, 03:07 PM
MM are GREAT running hulls. May want some more power then a stock MG motor though. Not that it wouldn't work, but stick a Leopard 4074 in there and take advantage of the hull. The 29" skunk cats run great too. I love my Skunkcat , its my favorite hull to that I own.

Skunkcat that was the other one I was thinking of.... Where can you get those?

Diesel6401
03-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Skunkcat that was the other one I was thinking of.... Where can you get those?

Scotty. He's member here. He doesn't have the 1st gen 29" cat's anymore that's the one I have. I think the 2nd gen cats are 32" I am not 100% positive though. I run a leopard 1774kv 4074 motor in mine and hit 50mph on 4s. Boat just screams.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/member.php?u=30

tunnelvision
03-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Cool, thanks. Yeah, I saw your vid, was running real nice! Did you have to get a new motor?

Diesel6401
03-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Cool, thanks. Yeah, I saw your vid, was running real nice! Did you have to get a new motor?

Yea I got a new motor just in case something was bad with the other one. I also am going to use a swordy 200 and drop the x447/3 down to a x447/2 blade.

tunnelvision
03-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Thats alot of prop with the 3 blade. Do you notice a handling difference between the two?

Diesel6401
03-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Thats alot of prop with the 3 blade. Do you notice a handling difference between the two?

I haven't tried the 2 blade on that boat yet. Normally 3 bladed props have better hole shot and maintain speed in the turns a little better. I don't race, so I just want the boat to perform to it's full potential and be stable. The 2 blade may be better on the boat and bring the amp load down.

Boomer
03-24-2011, 07:51 PM
I had just finished installing a new turnigy 180 amp ESC and wanted to take it out to test the new esc after programming it. Everything was running great and staying cool until I hit a ufo and it tweaked my rudder and the steering became sluggish and retarted. I pulled the boat in towards the concrete retaining wall I was standing on so I could check out the rudder and as I realized I needed to do some work to the rudder I (rookie move) switched my controller to off to grab the boat, well I don't know if I programmed the esc wrong or if this would have happened anyway, but as soon as I switched the controller to off the boat went to full throttle paralell to the wall for twenty feet and then slammed into a concrete pillar at about 35 mph !!!:cursing::crying: the whole front of the boat is literally blown up. :crying::mad: This is my first FE boat and I love it, But do you think that I should just buy a new MG hull for the $198.00 or get a 32" HOR for cheaper and paint it and transfer the esc, motor, rx and rudder to a different hull. Any recomendations are appreciated.. I'am getting a new hull but I just want to know wich one will take the mostly stock MG componets or if there is a better option. Thanks!

Nor Cal Chris
I too am saddened to read this news! Can you take a few pictures of your hull and post them? It sounds like it is beyond repair, but you might be surprised at what can be done in the right hands. Late last year I purchased a damaged MG hull from a young fellow who had a similar experience with his new MG. The first day he had it out, he was running the boat around the lake when without any warning, the boat hit a simi submerged metal piper that was about deck high. The poor guy couldn't see it from where he was driving the boat from. He said it hit so hard both batteries pulled out of their connections. Fortunately the boat didn't sink or even take on any water. I met the fellow some days later, he was so down hearted he wanted to sell the boat. I suggested that it might be repairable, but he didn't want to mess with it, then I suggested he buy a replacement hull, and to transfer all the hardware from this boat to the new hull. He did that and sold me the damaged boat for a very attractive price. I figured I had nothing to lose by trying to repair the hull myself.

I posted a few pictures of the hull I mentioned above, before and after. It is being painted, so I don't have a picture of the boat fully repaired, but at least you can compare the damage on this one verses yours. You can see that the repairs turned out pretty well considering I didn't know much about doing bodywork.

Boomer

Boomer
03-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Here a few more pictures of the repaired hull just prior to paint prep. This was my first try at a repair of this type, but all in all, I think it turned out pretty well.

Again, the discription of your crash sounds like it was a lot worse than this one. Let's take a look and see how bad it is. Maybe you can get lucky as I did.

Which ever direction you take, the MG is a great little FE. MM is too, but as Diesel said, should have more motor than the MG mill.

Good luck..............
Boomer

dana
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Ouch... Sorry to here about that bud. unfortunately you found out never to turn the radio off before unplugging the boat. On the Spektrum dx series radio's you can actually program fail safes to prevent that from happening.

As for your question I think you should grab another MG hull. JMHO. I had a HOR twin I just sold and I liked it but I feel the MG is better plus you have everything already for it. The stock MG motor wouldn't be the greatest choice for the HOR either.

:iagree: in addition to never turning you radio off, make sure you dont ever put your hand near the prop after you plug batteries in, and until you unplug them. i caught my thumb in a b/s 40/52/3 last summer. ouch!!!!

Nor Cal Chris
03-24-2011, 09:38 PM
I guess I learned a hard lesson yesterday but I wont give up on Miss geico!!:buttrock: your repair looks good but I dont know if i want to attempt that with mine what do you think? I have done body work and paint on cars but I think I'am just going to get another and have all new spare parts and sell what is extra to get back some money.:ohmy:

TheShaughnessy
03-24-2011, 10:05 PM
I guess I learned a hard lesson yesterday but I wont give up on Miss geico!!:buttrock: your repair looks good but I dont know if i want to attempt that with mine what do you think? I have done body work and paint on cars but I think I'am just going to get another and have all new spare parts and sell what is extra to get back some money.:ohmy:

Where at in cali and what do you want for the damaged hull?

Boomer
03-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Chris
I have seen worse, but yours is right up there. I'd say, it can be repaired. Clearly the damage to the sponson is the main issue, the other areas I see are pretty straight forward repairs.
It would take a good fiberglass guy to get the sponson to match. If a mold could be made from a good sponson, it would wouldn't be very hard make a new partial sponson that could be bonded on to the hull.

I found working with the fiberglass was pretty forgiving, and if you don't mind sanding, you can get some darned good results. It would be fun to try to fix yours, but I think one was enough for me to tackle. The materials are the biggest expense. I know how disappointed you must be.

If you opt to buy a complete new MG, the motor and ESC are pretty easy to sell.
The rudder assembly can be sold as well. The flex shaft is a good thing to keep on hand. The Radio and receiver are popular as well. It just seem buying a replacement hull is a less expense way to go. All the hardware is very easy to remove and re-install, so if that is a concern, I'd wouldn't worry.

Nor Cal Chris
03-24-2011, 10:43 PM
After I got over the crash I realized that I can buy a new one and sell all of the extra's pretty quickly and might not be too bad to have some of the extra stuff, I have invested in four sets of lipos a off set rudder, props and a hyperion charger so I cant just walk away from it, it's just too much fun to stop.:thumbup1: I will figure out what I want to do with the crashed hull but I will most likely sell it. thanks for all of the tips and I will never ever ever turn off the radio until the boat is in my truck and I'am ready to drive away:cursing::laugh:

tunnelvision
03-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Nor Cal Chris,

I like to fix up damaged boats and get em running again. I would gladly take this off your hands. If you are interested just shoot me a PM with what you would want for it shipped to NJ.

Thanks!

Brushless55
03-24-2011, 11:37 PM

D, to air this out some more..
between the MM, MG, and Skunkcat, what is it that makes the Shunkcat your favorite Cat??
I have the MM, and really like it, but it seams to need more power than other hulls.. :confused2:

maxmekker
03-25-2011, 04:56 AM
That was pritty smashed up. How do you go about fixing that, any quick tutorial and what materials used Boomer ??Question, where to you get a MG bare hull. I want a MG , bu I have several esc, I have motors, lipos , charges etc. Maybe build one..

lectriglide
03-25-2011, 09:37 AM
I would GLADLY do a canopy swap with you so you can have better "matching parts". Hey it's even on the same side!:sorry:

:just-kidding:

Boomer
03-25-2011, 02:00 PM
That was pritty smashed up. How do you go about fixing that, any quick tutorial and what materials used Boomer ??Question, where to you get a MG bare hull. I want a MG , bu I have several esc, I have motors, lipos , charges etc. Maybe build one..

Max
Proboat sells replacement Hull and Canopy: MG29 $197.99 PRB4101. They sell a lot of these and are often out of stock. But they get them every few months so the wait is not all that bad. You can do a google search for this part number and might get lucky in finding a local hobby shop that has one.

As far as tips on repairing these things, I had to make tool to permit me to get down inside the bow and sponson to reinforce the damaged areas. Before making the glass repairs the surface has to be prepared, sanded and cleaned so the resin and mat have good clean surface to stick to. I used paint mixing/stirring sticks I had in my garage to glue sand paper to so I could sand the surfaces inside the hull, and to insert pre-cut pieces of 1 oz. fiberglass mat into the bow and sponsons to the damaged and cracked areas.

Once I had prepared all the surfaces, I was ready to start. The inside was the only tricky part. I used a small brush that I attached an extended handle to, so I could apply resin (2 part) to the damaged areas inside, then used the paint stirring sticks to carefully lay in the matting into the cracks and crushed areas. I had pre applied resin to the matting to insure a good bond. I used another paint stick that I had rounded the end on it to work the mat to a nice flat patch.

I then clamped the damaged areas from the outside to compress the cracked areas. Let it cure. Now that the hull was repaired inside (is stronger than it was) I attacked the outside damages. Again, preparation is key. :thumbup:

I removed any damaged fragments and then sanded all the areas smooth. Some guys might have used bondo to fill in the crushed area and cracks, but I have never used those products and wanted stay with materials I was comfortable with.

I started to apply the resin to the external flaws, starting with one layer of 1 oz. mat over the damaged areas, more or less like a band-aid. Let it cure. Then sanded it smooth and applied one more layer. Then you guessed, sanded it. I primed it, so I could see any imperfections, and sanded some more.

This hull's damages looked worse than they really were. I don't think this boat was going as fast as Chris's boat when it hit the pipe. Plus it only hit a pipe and not a cement wall. The repair I had to address was more cracks than anything, so it was pretty simple to fix.

The only real problem was in trying to find tools to get down inside the hull. If you have ever worked with fiberglass making these kinds of repairs is not that bad.
To get the boat back to like new, takes some patients.

Oh, MGs come with a foam brick in their bows which I was able to get that out without damaging it, so I was able to put it back in once the repair work had been completed.

Chris's boat can be repaired, but I am not sure the cost of the repair materials and time would be worth the trouble. Not my call.

Good luck :bounce:
Boomer

Nor Cal Chris
03-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Good info, nice creativity with makeing the tools to complete the job. :thumbup1:

ron1950
03-25-2011, 02:47 PM
auction off the canopy to highest bidder...should get about 20 per cent of a new hull that way lol....