PDA

View Full Version : MG on 7 cell MINH?

UrbanPoser
03-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Hi all. Noob here trying to decide between an SV27r and an MG. Now I know I'm probably going to get flamed for asking this because I don't plan on running this boat on LiPos (at least not yet). However, has anyone tried running the MG on 7 cell NiMH packs? Can the ESC handle the voltage, and does the boat drive well for a newbie to handle? My only other experience is driving a Tower Hobbies TurboVee - fun boat, but quite slow.

Thanks!

dana
03-21-2011, 07:51 PM
you can run on 7cell nimh packs, but those packs wont last long, and i mean you will have to buy new packs soon. brushless boats arent nice to nimh cells

UrbanPoser
03-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Is the MG a dog on Nimh? or does it just chew up the batteries?

dana
03-21-2011, 09:48 PM
both. itll do probly low 30's on nimh, but brushless boats will absolutely kill nimh cells. nimh just arent able to supply the amount of current needed. they will last a few runs, but after that they just wont hold a charge enough to even run the boat.

UrbanPoser
03-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks.

Wow, makes you wonder why nimh are a recommended battery alternative in the manual...

dana
03-21-2011, 09:55 PM
yeah it really does... i swear they just dont care how much money we spend on this stuff. for the newbie getting into the hobby, they wouldnt know any better... and waste alot of money on these type of cells. the traxxas spartan comes with nimh packs. im pretty sure thats a selling point " yeah throw in some packs so they can get going" little does the buyer know they will be buying new packs about 10 runs later lol. when i first got into boats, before i knew about these forums and the info available... i had ALOT of headaches with my elam and nimh packs. plus lipos are half the money of nimh packs