PDA

View Full Version : super vee problems

bluemica3.5
03-19-2011, 11:33 PM
hey guys i have a super vee 27. and i am haveing some problems when i give it throttle its goes so slow then after a few mins it will kick in then bog down again. then i noticed that there is no water coming out the side of the boat at all. i changed all the lines and checked for clogs and still nothing, has anyone else had this problem. and i am running the stock motor and esc with two 3000 7.2 batt packs.

bluemica3.5
03-20-2011, 11:03 PM
anybody ?

Diesel6401
03-20-2011, 11:16 PM
- Check the rudder water inlet for blockage
- Check all wiring soldered joints
- Check drive shaft for proper lube & make sure no binding
- Check that you have a gap at least the diameter of the flexshaft (.150) between the drive dog & strut

* All in All, sounds like your batts are insufficient. Not moving fast enough could result in inadequate water flow. JMHO

bluemica3.5
03-21-2011, 01:11 PM
well checked for blockage and there is none, and since i had it off i went ahead and drilled the holes out a little more.

all the wires are good. i did lube everything up over the winter months pretty sure nothing is binding up and can turn everything over without a prob beside it being a little tuff do to the motor.

so think i should go with a different battery? also today i took the motor out and the cooling sleeve has a leak so i think that might be a issue.

Doby
03-21-2011, 03:23 PM
What manufacturer of battery? Please don't say Venom.

dana
03-21-2011, 05:40 PM
i take it youre running nimh packs? are they brand new? the first thing i would do is ditch the nimh packs if that is indeed what they are. brushless boats just require much more current than nimh packs are able to dish out, especially if the packs arent brand new. and even still with brand new nimh cells the boat will kill them quickly. the best thing you can do is use lipo batteries. is the water pickup on the rudder? they changed that on the 27r model cause it just didnt work well, but if it is indeed a rudder pickup the best thing to do is to file the hole so it meets the leading edge of the rudder

bluemica3.5
03-21-2011, 05:51 PM
yes they are venom power nimh batterys, they are brand new they have been charged several times so they should be broke in,

yes the pickup is on the rudder, i drilled out the hole on both ends so it is bigger, even with this two batterys fully charged i still should be getting some kind of power out of it even if its only a couple mins, i just dont know if i wanna drop that kind of money on some lipos and another charger.

dana
03-21-2011, 06:12 PM
file the hole in the rudder to the front edge of the blade. you can buy a charger for 40 bux, and you can get 2s lipo's for about 25 bux a piece. venom batteries arent all that great in my opinion. besides even tho theyre brand new, i garuntee you wont make it into summer before you have to replace them, i assure you

dana
03-21-2011, 06:15 PM
what do you mean drilled on both ends?

bluemica3.5
03-21-2011, 06:27 PM
i took it off the boat and where the nipple on top goes i took that off and it was very small like it wasnt fully drilled from the start. and the hole that picks up the water i made that hole slightly larger.

Diesel6401
03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
What manufacturer of battery? Please don't say Venom.

:rofl:
Looks Like you nailed that one Doby

yes they are venom power nimh batterys, they are brand new they have been charged several times so they should be broke in,

Venom packs have a history of being less then good quality. Me gots a feeling that would be your answer. Those packs just can not handle the amp load which, until you get new packs your gonna be in the same situation. Get some lipo's and wake that boat up!

bluemica3.5
03-21-2011, 06:43 PM
ok what lipos should i go with.
or if i didnt go with lipos would another nimh battery work if i go with a 7 cell instead?

Diesel6401
03-21-2011, 06:47 PM
ok what lipos should i go with.
or if i didnt go with lipos would another nimh battery work if i go with a 7 cell instead?

Lipos are still going to be faster then 7cell nimh, plus cheaper. I wouldn't spend money on dying technology.

I love these packs: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10305

The USA ones are on backorder: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16194

* You will need a lipo shield since the stock sv esc doesn't have a lvc: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=de-liposhld-32&cat=136

bluemica3.5
03-21-2011, 06:50 PM
ok ill have to look into these, now onto another type of water pick up, would the transom one be the best.

Diesel6401
03-21-2011, 06:50 PM
With the lipos I listed, stock power and a grim 42x55 prop your boat should be high 30 - low 40mph stock.

On these venom nimh you maybe at high 20s and on 14 cell nimh low 30s.

Diesel6401
03-21-2011, 06:52 PM
ok ill have to look into these, now onto another type of water pick up, would the transom one be the best.

I use a transom pickup on my sv. But the rudder one worked good as well. I just enlarged the hull a little bit and it helped a lot.

bluemica3.5
03-21-2011, 06:56 PM
ok maybe since i enlarged the rudder some ill try that out first, and just go from there, well with the venoms i dont even think im going 5 mph and im not kidding either, a toy boat from walmart would be moving alot faster.

Doby
03-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Just wait till the first time you hit the throttle with LiPos in your boat.....hang on for a wild ride!

makin' waves
06-19-2011, 05:36 AM
The standard cooling jacket does leak a little from my experience, I put a small folded piece of paper towel under the motor just to collect any water ( its always minimal)

I run 7 cell 8.4s in mine, never had a problem with anything...so far and I'm pretty sure my boat runs high 30s to low 40s- it really shifts!! :rockon2:

Hope this helps

Tone