PDA

View Full Version : Look what happened today...

GeoRXT
01-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Just great! After about 15 mins of ride time I take it out and the batteries so incredibly hot!

Doby
01-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Thats to bad,,but if those are Venom batteries,,thats your problem,,you need better batteries. Spend your money on anything but Venoms.

Mich. Maniac
01-07-2008, 07:52 PM
you gottA prob with Venom??? Its go time now! j/k. ive never had any trouble. infact I speak highly of them. lipo charger puts em right on the #'s everytime

GeoRXT
01-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Thats to bad,,but if those are Venom batteries,,thats your problem,,you need better batteries. Spend your money on anything but Venoms.
I wish I knew before I purchased them...well...before my wifey purchased them...

Doby
01-07-2008, 07:59 PM
you gottA prob with Venom??? Its go time now! j/k. ive never had any trouble. infact I speak highly of them. lipo charger puts em right on the #'s everytime

:bash: :bash: Its go time :D ,Never used their LiPos, but their NiMh are garbage,,,personal experience 2 years ago trying to save some money,,,wasted more than I saved. I'm sure those are NiMh packs that went boom here.

GeoRXT
01-07-2008, 08:00 PM
:bash: :bash: Its go time :D ,Never used their LiPos, but their NiMh are garbage,,,personal experience 2 years ago trying to save some money,,,wasted more than I saved. I'm sure those are NiMh packs that went boom here.
They might be dead cuz the boat aint working right....The rudder moves but the engine does not....Maybe a bad receiver though I dont know yet...

Doby
01-07-2008, 08:06 PM
If the batteries were hot and you got 15 minutes out of them ,,,its the batteries. If you were running a reasonably stock set up, a good set of NiHh's would be able to handle the load.

Diegoboy
01-07-2008, 08:06 PM
They might be dead cuz the boat aint working right....The rudder moves but the engine does not....Maybe a bad receiver though I dont know yet...

Motor requires more voltage to turn than the servo. If you're getting no motor action with those burned venom's, then try a diff set of packs.

Doby
01-07-2008, 08:07 PM
I do have to say that I used the remaining Venoms and made some pretty decent receiver packs out of them .

RCprince
01-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Venom Batteries are toxic to your wallet

GeoRXT
01-07-2008, 08:21 PM
This sucks, my wife just paid more than $150 for these batteries less than 3 weeks ago! Anyone know about their warranty policy?....

Doby
01-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Sounds like she had the best intentions,,,not sure of a warrenty policy, check their web page.

Avanti
01-07-2008, 08:51 PM
welcome to the SV melted battery club

H&MWill
01-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Dude I am tellin ya. Venom NIHM batteries are horrible. Probably ok in a rc car or truck but DONT hold up in a boat. Sorry man just get some good cells and you WILL be happy.

GeoRXT
01-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I just want my $150 back! LOL!

gaboulware
01-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Has anyone tried www.excitebatteries.com for LiPo's. I am looking to upgrade from NiMH to LiPo. From what I hear stock set up with two 7.4v 3300mAh and a balanced x642 prop I should see mid to high 40's. Also, does anyone recommend a good recreational LiPo Charger?

Just having fun on the pond

Mich. Maniac
01-07-2008, 10:41 PM
You may not get your money back but Call to tower and ask for their number. They give it out not a prob. I sent one pack in on a monday and they sent new one right back no quest asked by that sat. fed ex. It WAS my fault but they didnt even ask. I drew about 80 Amps outta a 45 Amp battery. OOOOpps. Also when you call venom you will have to leave a message for on e the two reps. do it and they will call you back within 24hrs. with their addy for exchange. sorry to hear it happened.

Doby
01-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Sounds like they supported their product,,,at least thays good !

GeoRXT
01-07-2008, 11:27 PM
You may not get your money back but Call to tower and ask for their number. They give it out not a prob. I sent one pack in on a monday and they sent new one right back no quest asked by that sat. fed ex. It WAS my fault but they didnt even ask. I drew about 80 Amps outta a 45 Amp battery. OOOOpps. Also when you call venom you will have to leave a message for on e the two reps. do it and they will call you back within 24hrs. with their addy for exchange. sorry to hear it happened.
Thanks, I sent an email....If I get no response i will call tomorrow.

Apples1
01-08-2008, 12:18 AM
i have had problems with Venoms aswell.......but i find if i limit the charge rate to 1.2 amps or less they are OK....well average anyway, what charge rate are you useing GEO?

Eyekandyboats
01-08-2008, 08:20 AM
i first see the picture, and i said to my self" they must be venom"
LOL

RiverRat
01-08-2008, 08:51 AM
At least you got 30mins, compaired to my 4mins.

Avanti
01-08-2008, 10:04 AM
My venom 3000 nimhs are holding up but the performance is nonexistant
I melted tenergy 4500 nimhs (14 cells completely dead)
I melted trinity 4200 nimhs (one cell out of 12 died)
I am going lipo as soon as I can afford it.

GeoRXT
01-08-2008, 03:31 PM
i have had problems with Venoms aswell.......but i find if i limit the charge rate to 1.2 amps or less they are OK....well average anyway, what charge rate are you useing GEO?
Im using the Intellipack twin pulse charger and I think the only option is the 3.5 amps charge...

GeoRXT
01-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I put it on the water today and it ran fine....Not too long cuz the batteries were not fully charged but I just wanted to make sure they worked...

lonewolf
01-08-2008, 07:51 PM
I started out in f/e with venom 3000 mah, they fit my budget...I have been running them with 700's no problems other than they just dont have the juice for real speed. I charge mine @ 1c 3 amps they get warm when topped off.
I have since upgraded to to far better cells. My venoms will be used for testing and set up of my smaller amp draw boats and for my stampede.

zero9046
01-09-2008, 12:51 AM
the batteries may be cooked... i've always been told very strongly by people in the club i run with not to over run the batteries. when i go out with a buddy of mine, we time our runs to no more than 8 minutes.

i'm no expert either, but i would say part of the problem is the way those battery packs were put together. they are basically in a self contained oven, with no way to let heat out. I bought some cheapo 3300's a while back (and they were not the GP cells that radio shack apparently used to sell) and they performed like crap. They were always too hot and just didn't seem to hold up. After I took of the plastic, cardboard tubes, and installed some deans bars and good wire, they started to perform more reliably. they didn't heat up near as much, and turned out to be decent batteries.

thats just my two cents though.

GeoRXT
01-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Batteries seem fine as of now....I think I may have a problem with my receiver or maybe the batteries on the remote control...humm....Boat ran ok today...for like 2 mins! But thats another issue...

keon718nyc
01-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Hello to all on my first post on this site. I got a BlackJack 26BL during the holidays. I ran it a few times and love it! Its all stock for now with and i am am using two different pairs of batterys. One set is 6 Cell IB4200 NIMH and the other is 7 Cell IB3800's. I am charging the batterys at 5.5amps and am getting run time from 8-10 min. I felt that the 7 Cell pack 3800's ran longer but high speed power didnt last too long, The 4200's 6 Cell pack was a bit more kick and lasted a bit shorter. about 8 min or so. I had these packs and used them for indoor r/c racing. I am hoping to get some more new 6 Cell 4600's shortly , I would go lipo i would have to change over chargers and packs as well. Just wanted to get some input on what u all use and successful run times u have. Can some of you all let me know also how many amps you charge your packs at? Nice to meet you all and i will be posting more often! Thanks for all the good info as well on this site!!!!

GeoRXT
01-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Hello to all on my first post on this site. I got a BlackJack 26BL during the holidays. I ran it a few times and love it! Its all stock for now with and i am am using two different pairs of batterys. One set is 6 Cell IB4200 NIMH and the other is 7 Cell IB3800's. I am charging the batterys at 5.5amps and am getting run time from 8-10 min. I felt that the 7 Cell pack 3800's ran longer but high speed power didnt last too long, The 4200's 6 Cell pack was a bit more kick and lasted a bit shorter. about 8 min or so. I had these packs and used them for indoor r/c racing. I am hoping to get some more new 6 Cell 4600's shortly , I would go lipo i would have to change over chargers and packs as well. Just wanted to get some input on what u all use and successful run times u have. Can some of you all let me know also how many amps you charge your packs at? Nice to meet you all and i will be posting more often! Thanks for all the good info as well on this site!!!!
I get about 12-15 mins on a pair of Venom 5000 7 cells.....But, they seem to not be the best batteries out there!

kburrows
05-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Whats the best packs? Who makes them?

all in
05-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Good question what are the lipo and Nimh pack everyone is having the best luck with

smm_cbf
05-17-2008, 12:55 PM
venoms get hot on runs and will melt the wraping, (happened to me) , but other than that their fine, the only thing i don't like is the 6c discharge rate but i do get londer run times, so i use them in mt scat cat in rough water, so i can slower over the water and have time to have fun with it.

FL-E-Boater
05-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Bad URL. Got another one?

Has anyone tried www.excitebatteries.com for LiPo's. I am looking to upgrade from NiMH to LiPo. From what I hear stock set up with two 7.4v 3300mAh and a balanced x642 prop I should see mid to high 40's. Also, does anyone recommend a good recreational LiPo Charger?

FL-E-Boater
05-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Don't waste your money on a 'recreational lipo charger" . Get a good one. One that will never be obsolete is the Xtrema. It's $189 but it will charge up to 10S, 8A lipos! Mini Cat Racing sells them. www.minicatracingusa.com

Jimmy Sterling
05-17-2008, 03:22 PM
I never realised that venom battery's were so dodgy, I have never used them myself but I have see:confused1: n many guys running them in lso boats. They ran really well too.

Jeepers
05-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Has anyone tried [url]. From what I hear stock set up with two 7.4v 3300mAh and a balanced x642 prop

IMO if you change the prop its no longer a stock set up:tongue_smilie:
stock is what comes out of the box prop and all!

FL-E-Boater
05-17-2008, 06:02 PM
I share your opinion but most people are saying you can change the prop and still be stock. Not sure about running lipos being stock though!

IMO if you change the prop its no longer a stock set up:tongue_smilie:
stock is what comes out of the box prop and all!

Jeepers
05-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I never realised that venom battery's were so dodgy, I have never used them myself but I have see:confused1: n many guys running them in lso boats. They ran really well too.

A friend of mine bought the new E-maxx and some Venom batteries it ran ok. I let him use some IB 4200's the performance was a big difference, then I handed him a 4s pack to try, he was disapointed that he bought those Venoms.

Jeepers
05-17-2008, 06:15 PM
I share your opinion but most people are saying you can change the prop and still be stock. Not sure about running lipos being stock though!

A poorly done metal prop can be worse than the stock plastic one therefore it wont run like the stock set up. a properly done prop will yeild better results than the stock plastic one. but than its not the stock is it.

Lipos or Nimhs... they are a power source and the esc is set up to take either if you get the program card!

Wakesurfer
05-20-2008, 10:21 PM
I like my 2s 8k MaxAmps packs and Hyperion DUO charger. Just got my 3s 8k packs, now I need the Hydra 120 so I can swap motors and really tear up my boat. MaxAmps has a 8k 25C cell now too. They called me the other day because a charger/battery combo I ordered for a TRX 'Pede comes with TRX connectors instead of my usual Deans. How's that for on the ball customer service?