PDA

View Full Version : Spartan Setup Advice

heli21
03-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Hey guys,

I am considering getting a Spartan and I've read all about the cooling problems so here's what I've came up with.

Spartan Kit
EM 3s 5000mAh 35c x2 in series

Kintec Upgrades~ (http://kintecracing.com/Spartan.html)
540xl Cooling Jacket
4mm Cooling lines
Transom water pickup
Large Bore Water Outlet
Transom Fitting

Also open up the pickup on the rudder and all the fittings and put 4mm tubing on everything.

What do you guys think?

dag-nabit
03-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Hey guys,

I am considering getting a Spartan and I've read all about the cooling problems so here's what I've came up with.

Spartan Kit
EM 3s 5000mAh 35c x2 in series

Kintec Upgrades~ (http://kintecracing.com/Spartan.html)
540xl Cooling Jacket
4mm Cooling lines
Transom water pickup
Large Bore Water Outlet
Transom Fitting

Also open up the pickup on the rudder and all the fittings and put 4mm tubing on everything.

What do you guys think?

Nothing wrong with your setup for providing the needed additional cooling.

But the unfortunate thing about the Spartan is that there seems to be a high percentage of them that are burning up the stock ESC's and seizing the stock motors, even after doing the cooling system upgrades.

I don't want to discourage you, but I feel that in good conscience I have to recommend you research the spartan thoroughly, here, and on other forums, to be sure you understand the scope of problems that have plagued the initial release of this boat.

There is a strong possibility you will end up replacing the ESC and motor in addition to doing the mods you already identified.

If you are OK with that, the guys who have upgraded theirs seem to be having a lot of fun with them. (so are the guys running them stock, until they go "poof")

I bought two of them, and never even powered up the stock components because of all the issues reported. I haven't run mine yet because everything is still frozen, but hoping with the upgrades they will be reliable and give us a few years of good fun.

The next run of Spartans isn't due to ship until the end of April, everyone is hoping the delay is allowing Traxxas time to fix the issues. You may be wise to wait and see if the next batch are any more reliable.

Kevin

PS. Just something to consider. Even with cooling system upgrades I would advise caution running a parallel set up in a stock Spartan. They seem to be having enough problems without trying to push run times over 15 minutes.

dag-nabit
03-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Ooops, sorry I just realized you said series, not parallel. :doh:
Kevin