PDA

View Full Version : Castle HV240 questions

woodster
03-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Hey guys just received my Castle 240HV ESC and was wondering a couple of things.

1. Do I need to prep it at all for installation? It has shrink wrap around the outside but where the wires come out it's pretty exposed. I just wonder if I need to worry about moisture getting in there and what to do about it if anything?

2. There are 8 water tubes going through the ESC, 4 on each side. Do all 8 need to be plumbed with a water feed? I would assume if so you just plumb them into eachother back and forth and then have one inlet and one outlet?

3. Do you guys plumb the ESC first, then run the ESC outlet water to the motor and out of vice versa? Meaning the ESC gets cooled first, then water runs from ESC to the motor and out the boat. Or is it best to run two water pickups, one for each the ESC and motor?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm a newbie to FE boats, but i've been into brushless car stiff for while. Thanks for the help!

LarrysDrifter
03-14-2011, 08:29 PM
All 8 need to be plumbed.Cool the speedo first then the motor.You can cool them separate if you wish-its jut personal preference.As far as the open ends on the esc,they are fine.If you want to add a little insurance liberally spray both ends with Corrosion X and let it sit at least over night.Youre jumping right in the FE world with a HV esc and a 2215,arent you?

woodster
03-14-2011, 08:40 PM
All 8 need to be plumbed.Cool the speedo first then the motor.You can cool them separate if you wish-its jut personal preference.As far as the open ends on the esc,they are fine.If you want to add a little insurance liberally spray both ends with Corrosion X and let it sit at least over night.Youre jumping right in the FE world with a HV esc and a 2215,arent you?

Ya I tend to go all out when I get into stuff :laugh:.. I've had plenty of nitro boats over the years and some smaller electrics but never anything like this. Gonna run it on 10S and it's going in a 1/8th scale hydro. I'll be posting a build thread once I get the hull which should be tomorrow. Also gonna need some advice on prop selection but I've been reading up on here about those also. Thanks for the info

ksm2001
03-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Hi Woodster,

For prep you will need to set the proper timing depending on your motor, voltage cutoff, and starting power. The easiest is if you have a Castle link usb cable. The esc is water resistant not water proof. If you make it water proof by using a coating of some kind that can not be removed you may not be able to have it repaired if something happens.

Ken

woodster
03-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Hi Woodster,

For prep you will need to set the proper timing depending on your motor, voltage cutoff, and starting power. The easiest is if you have a Castle link usb cable. The esc is water resistant not water proof. If you make it water proof by using a coating of some kind that can not be removed you may not be able to have it repaired if something happens.

Ken

Thanks Ken for the reply. I do have the Castle link also so i'm set there.

pyroM!KE
03-15-2011, 09:56 PM
If you use liquid electrical tape it will peel off..Ive been using it and I dont understand why its not used by everyone...It works great..Thats why they call it liquid tape..It will peel off..

Fluid
03-15-2011, 11:35 PM
A. You will want to program the ESC to the transmitter/receiver before you do anything else - follow the Castle instructions.

B. Use the Castle Link to set the voltage cutoff (I use 3.3 volts per cell) and the timing (5-10 degrees at first on the 2215).

C. CorrosionX has worked great for me. The problem with "liquid tapes" is the fact that they do peel off. With all the handling an ESC gets the tape will peel up in the wrong place at the wrong time and "poof". Not worth the risk whan a flooding liquid like CorrosionX will not peel. That is why the liquid tapes are not very popular - they don't work well. There isn't very much that's new in the R/C boating game that hasn't already been tried....

pyroM!KE
03-16-2011, 12:58 PM
I dont ever handle my esc..The only time I touch it is installing or taking it out..The liquidtape I have dosent peel off that easy..Also I used like 4 coats so its kinda thick..

ncornacchi
03-17-2011, 05:25 AM
You will have to use a separate 6V receiver pack and do not remove the red wire from controller...