PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to remove the end bell on a Neu/Castle

Diesel6401
03-14-2011, 06:14 PM
What is the easiest way without damaging the bearing on the end of the rear end bell? I would like to drill some holes into the rear end bell of a CC1717, but I may want to do the same for some of my 15 series motors.

m4a1usr
03-14-2011, 06:30 PM
What is the easiest way without damaging the bearing on the end of the rear end bell? I would like to drill some holes into the rear end bell of a CC1717, but I may want to do the same for some of my 15 series motors.

For the CC/Neu series you dont need to do anything other then take off the shell screws to remover the end plates. Either side. The rear end plate closest to the motor wires might need a gentle tap due to the glue from the wire splices but if you dont want to ruin the bearings put no side loading on it. SO I would start from the front bearing plate. Just pull the rotor and insert a wooden dowel or something similar and tap it on a table surface or hold it in your hand and hit it gently but firm. The glue will break free without much effort.

The rear end plate is now not just covered with a sticker as with the older, past built series. Too bad because all one had to do was punch some holes or peel back the sticker. Now you have to pull the bearing and drill some holes.

John

Diesel6401
03-14-2011, 09:09 PM
For the CC/Neu series you dont need to do anything other then take off the shell screws to remover the end plates. Either side. The rear end plate closest to the motor wires might need a gentle tap due to the glue from the wire splices but if you dont want to ruin the bearings put no side loading on it. SO I would start from the front bearing plate. Just pull the rotor and insert a wooden dowel or something similar and tap it on a table surface or hold it in your hand and hit it gently but firm. The glue will break free without much effort.

The rear end plate is now not just covered with a sticker as with the older, past built series. Too bad because all one had to do was punch some holes or peel back the sticker. Now you have to pull the bearing and drill some holes.

John

Thank you so much for the info John. Valuable information as always from you... Next question does it matter the diameter of the dowel?

m4a1usr
03-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Thank you so much for the info John. Valuable information as always from you... Next question does it matter the diameter of the dowel?

I have been using a 3/4" dowel. Only cause its what I had access to for free (my favorite price!:bounce:) as long as it has a larger diameter then the bearings, .625" but not any bigger then the rotor .750", it will work perfectly.

BTW thanks for the link to the Leopard Vs Castle video. Way kewl and I guess I must be that guy in the Geico video. Living under a rock!

John

Diesel6401
03-14-2011, 10:09 PM
I have been using a 3/4" dowel. Only cause its what I had access to for free (my favorite price!:bounce:) as long as it has a larger diameter then the bearings, .625" but not any bigger then the rotor .750", it will work perfectly.

BTW thanks for the link to the Leopard Vs Castle video. Way kewl and I guess I must be that guy in the Geico video. Living under a rock!

John

Ok sweet I will give that a try...

No problem on the video. I youtube searched removing end bell or CC motor and some how that came up. I found it interesting so decided to share. Thanks again for all your help.