PDA

View Full Version : what causes cavitation and how do you slove it

MARKY C
03-13-2011, 12:48 PM
please can someone tell me what signs will show me that my boat is cavitating and what should i do to stop it . how does this effect the boat..

6sHyper
03-13-2011, 05:55 PM
It will be blurping so to speak, like instead of a smooth accelaration and top speed it will rather be rough like power is slightly surging so to speak, its not however coming from the electronics rather the prop , its all about the prop your using.

dasboata
03-13-2011, 06:01 PM
cavitation is air being sucked into the prop you can lower the strut to put more prop in the water,, this will help,,, some boats just cavitate work with it ,,,,, not such a bad thing !!!

pyroM!KE
03-13-2011, 06:25 PM
I can see imperfections in the prop causing cavitation..Ive seen it with the impeller on water pumps on natural gas engines..

keithbradley
03-13-2011, 06:32 PM
What most people are talking about is ventalation, not cavatation. Ventilation is when air is sucked into the prop. Cavatation is not ventalation, it is when the prop creates a low pressure area and becomes in-efficiant. Its caused by poorly sharpened or mis-shaped props, too small of prop, or the area in front of the prop being blocked. For example if your prop was too close to the transom, you may have a problem.

keithbradley
03-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Some cavatation is normal by the way, the point at which a boat planes out and the RPMs drop and the boat moves faster is a result of a drastic reduction in cavitation.