PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a small problem...

GeoRXT
01-07-2008, 04:01 AM
I was going to take out the drive wire to put some grease on it and the 1.5mm hex nut does not want to come out. In the process the head of the bolt seems to have stripped. How do I get it off now!?!?!? It seems like its taking in a bit of water from there because I have never greased it since I bought it and I've put it on the water less than 10 times....

domwilson
01-07-2008, 09:33 AM
I had the same problem. Called proboat and they sent me out a new shaft. You could disassemble the outdrive and heat up the shaft. Then you might be able to remove the hex. But at that point just grease it up and use it. I did both.

obrien
01-07-2008, 09:43 AM
The easiest way will probably be to drill out the hex head screw. Atleast that way you will probably do the least damage. You will just need to get a replacement most likely unless you can retap the threads. Do you have the drive trimmed out at all, or are you leaving it at a neutral angle? With my boat, when I trimmed the drive out more, I started have water intrusion through the shaft no matter how much grease I had in the tube.

txboatpilot
01-07-2008, 09:49 AM
When you install the flex shaft in the tube, put a piece of fuel tube or waterline on the end where the cable come out of the tube to meet the coupler... No more water coming up the shaft!!!

GeoRXT
01-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Should I just buy the fullers & OSE setup like you recommended obrien and just be done with it....Or this kit does not replace this design flaw?

Jeff Wohlt
01-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Wanted to share some of my experience since it looks like some of this is beaten to death on hardware, etc. Yes, I have been in the FE community for years and have built many many boats and producer of record setting wire drives, couplers, struts,,blah,blah,blah.

First.....there is nothing good about a steerable strut. You will only find them in box boats. They had to save money somewhere to be able to price this as it is.

This is some of the reason they need the spin fins as well......this is needed with a steerable strut....the propulsion wants to push the rear end around with much more force than a rudder set up alone.

If you like oval running then go with a rudder on the right but if you like to play both directions then I like the center rudder set up.

And for goodness sakes....maintain the drive line...it MUST be removed after every days running. Wipe it down and put some oil on it. When you are ready to run again grease it and put it back in...this allows your stuffing tube to dry out as well.

I like to grease them slightly and then drip some oil down it...makes for very fast and slick. Don't forget to lube the prop shaft before sliding it in.

Also, I like using shrink tubing CA'd to the inside stuffing tube at the coupler end. I glue it on then put my shaft in and use a match or lighter to shrink the tubing around the shaft...this works well. Some of the fuel tubing, if not done correctly, either leaks or puts additional resistance on the drive train.

Thanks, great fourm!

Jeff

www.rcraceboat.com