PDA

View Full Version : Nqd Jet Sprint + 22mm ABC Hobby Jet Drive

damfurst
03-13-2011, 09:27 AM
This is a build I've been planning to do for awhile and am by far not the first to do it. The hull is the Nqd Jet boat/sprint hull. It can be referred to as the knock off Jet sprint as well since it is a altered copy of Graupner's Jet sprint boat which is very hard to come by and no longer in production at the moment. The drive that comes in the stock boat is a decent copy of Graupner's 19mm mini-jet but has also been altered in suttle ways. The hulls are probably the best Imo that Nqd makes. There are fairly rigid abs and quite tough. If you've watched them bouncing off rocks and such they are suprisingly rugged.

After seeing suckmywakes white knock off with the 22mm jet I became more motivated to start on this project. The Abc Hobby jet drive is probably the best built drive out there. Very solid construction, brass bushings, and already tapped stator for cooling are all pluses. It also means that other than the motor very little modding needs to be done to the drive itself.

So first on the agenda is to open up the brand new hull and completely gut it. I always love this part. This is my second hull and they didn't use as much hot glue on this one. That made it easier to clean up. Also made a second inner hatch out of plexiglass.

Next I mixed up some 2 part expansion foam and filled the front 1/3 of the hull. Won't sink now.

Next made a template to expand bottom hole through hull for intake of drive to fit into. Got the drive all fitted in and screw holes drilled. Next will shoe goo this drive in.

Used an old motor to help get the alignment right on the shaft in the drive so nothing would be tweaked when glueing in.

suckmywake
03-14-2011, 03:27 PM
That looks great. What motor/kv/voltage are you thinking of running? I had to take my impeller out to retighten a setscrew so I snap some pics for you. I hope this gives you some ideas. I cut the Parther 220 down to .858" dia. This dia will leave a tight wall clearance. Since this ABC jet responded so well to my new impeller I tried the same with my stock jet drive tear into with an x432 with little luck but still trying. I think I will next detongue the blade on the x432 for stock jet.

wakeboardfusion
03-14-2011, 07:11 PM
what is the third picture of? some sort of intake grate?

LarrysDrifter
03-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Its a trim tab.Where the plate gets small on the other side of the screws is where the water pickup is for the jet.

damfurst
03-14-2011, 08:37 PM
what is the third picture of? some sort of intake grate?

Larry is right some call it a trim tab but it's also known as a ride plate. It fits underneath the nozzle and the stator coming out of the back of the boat. This not only helps stabalize the boat but also protects the stator and nozzle when jumping over things, logs, rocks, other boats, etc.

Thanks for the pics suckmywake. I'm going to give cutting down the prather 220 prop a try. Your ride plate also looks good. I may have to put one on this boat.

suckmywake
03-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Video from today at the pond. After the bigger boats broke we sent the jets out to play. :w00t:

RFHP7PHHQXk

I think you will end up needing a ride plate. My boat likes the ride plate bent up close to jet nozzle. If you look at vid around 49 sec you will see my boat bouncing. I was doing some testing running the boat without the ride plate just moving batts (3s 2200mah) around to change cog. The boat runs much better with ride plate with one batt along side of the motor and one across the hull in front of motor. I have wanted to try to cut down the area behind the intake and fill in with JB weld like sundogz does on his ABC jets. I think if I could keep jet prime I could get more speed out of it especially during turns.

wparsons
03-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Do you know of a reliable source for the ABC drive? I haven't been able to find a source for one yet.

suckmywake
03-17-2011, 12:54 PM
They are getting hard to find. I got mine in the ABC Hobbies Jet ski a few years back on ebay. I think I paid $36 for mine. I dont think they are in production any more. They will pop up on ebay but $ high. One was on ebay last week for Buyitnow $200+sh. I did google and found this site that claims to have them.

https://www.rtrhobbies.com/Products.aspx?CatID=50&CatCode=BBE&ProdID=170773&ProductNumber=ABC58901

wparsons
03-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Too bad they don't have just the drive!

damfurst
03-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Finally made some progress. I am using a 2848 3900kv inrunner to power the drive with a 60A Turborix esc. This motor has been used by sundogz on his jet skis on 2s which is what I plan to run it on also. I may try different motors later but initially this will be it. The esc has already been waterproofed with epoxy as well as the tx. So got the motor, esc, tx, and servo all mounted. The servo is nothing special just one out of a jetski dipped in waterproofing rubber. I ran the cooling lines to the water jacket on the motor too. Next I'll do a tub test and check for leaks.

damfurst
03-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Maiden voyage of this boat. Video is short and shows boat at 1/2 throttle most of the time. Problem with cavitation and loss of prime on rougher water at full throttle and I need to change a setting on the esc. Overall I liked how smooth it was. It also wasn't screaming all the time like my 19mm one does. Next will try screening the intake to see if that will help any and also try forming a delta in front of the drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OlRNzSt_-E

suckmywake
03-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Was the vid with stock or upgraded impeller and with or with out ride pad? Are you thinking of heating up the abs in front of intake and bending up the keel to form a flater bottom before intake. I know what a delta pad is but don't understand one in front of jet intake. Will you please post pics of what you had in mind or after you do mod. Thanks

Jesse J
03-22-2011, 11:57 AM
you guys have convinced me, this is my next boat... might be my first RTR as well. I see Newegg has em for $45 shipped (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA03E0004DY2)... is it the right one?

thinking its time, plus it might look good behind my scaler riding around on a trailer... get it? scaler trailer.. anyway, they say its 1:25th scale?? looks a little bigger. I may be trying some of these ideas later, haven't ever owned a jet boat.

marko500
03-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Just picked up one of these jet boats off ebay last week. Thinking of trying that little 3000kv Mystery outrunner I got from you Jesse J quite awhile ago in it. Fits up perfect to the stock jet unit.

Mark

damfurst
03-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Was the vid with stock or upgraded impeller and with or with out ride pad? Are you thinking of heating up the abs in front of intake and bending up the keel to form a flater bottom before intake. I know what a delta pad is but don't understand one in front of jet intake. Will you please post pics of what you had in mind or after you do mod. Thanks

The vid was with a stock impeller and no ride pad. I do plan on doing the impeller mod like yours with a Prather 220. Yes I'm going to try to put a delta pretty much as you described and I will post pics of this.

Jesse J :you guys have convinced me, this is my next boat... might be my first RTR as well. I see Newegg has em for $45 shipped... is it the right one?

Jesse Yes that's the right one. You'll be modding it before too long after you get it. The brushed motor in them don't last all that long. We should get together once the ice is gone of your water. Let me know.

Marko500:Thinking of trying that little 3000kv Mystery outrunner

That motor is perfect for the stock drive. You can run it on either 2 or 3s with a 30a esc.

Jesse J
03-23-2011, 10:16 AM
cool, thanks Wes, yes I have seen dark areas around the shorelines... could be any week now. I will definitely let you know. I doubt I will have a chance to get out of town until I defend (1 month away). by then we should be terrorizing the ponds. I will pick one of these up - was also thinking for Dad, he lives on a creek.

damfurst
03-26-2011, 09:12 PM
The ponds thawed out this last week so today went down and ran this boat and my Mini-C Jet drive boat. Forgot my gps, but will have to do that another day. You can judge for yourselves how fast it was going. It would spin out if you oversteer it, but cavitation was at a minimum. I did do the delta (attempted) and also added the screen to the intake. I'll have to wait until I take it on the creek before I say it helped a bunch, but I do think it does make a difference. Experienced no bouncing so I probably won't do a ride plate. Will probably add cooling tubes to the esc since the temp was so much higher than the motor was. Overall it was a good run.:thumbup1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPpSdpMwdYo

Jesse J
03-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Got my 1st ever jet boat yesterday. Why in the world would I want to modify it? I think two position controls are the best... I mean who wants proportional throttle and steering??

Ok, seriously, I don't even think I need to run it stock before I "tear into" it. the controller makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up as it scrapes metal on metal.

I will be picking your brains 4 shore!

Jesse J
03-29-2011, 10:13 PM
tore into it, gutted WTF electronics, added electrifly brushed esc to motor and an old servo from a mini rio. Just add some 2 part foam to bow and velcro for batteries.... then wait for ponds to thaw. .............. oh wait, its a jet boat!! I can hit a creek.

is there a reason I might want to replace the stock screen? Any place to get more impellers?

damfurst
03-29-2011, 10:30 PM
tore into it, gutted WTF electronics, added electrifly brushed esc to motor and an old servo from a mini rio. Just add some 2 part foam to bow and velcro for batteries.... then wait for ponds to thaw. .............. oh wait, its a jet boat!! I can hit a creek.

is there a reason I might want to replace the stock screen? Any place to get more impellers?

Congrats Jesse on your new boat. :rockon2: You'll get some runs from that stock motor, but before long you'll want to replace it. Unless you are worried about sucking up a rock and damaging your impeller I'd run the intake stock until you go brushless. We found that running a screen on the brushless setups made a difference on cavitation caused from the higher rpms. If you do break an impeller there are 3 choices: 1) buy another boat for parts 2) buy a graupner mini jet and then their replaement impeller w/shaft will fit right in. or 3) buy the graupner 19mm replacement impeller and drill out the drive and the stator so that it fits. The shaft of the Nqd is 2.3mm while graupner's is 3mm. There is no direct replacement impellers that we've been able to find. Any other questions give a holler and maybe post a pic or two or vid. :thumbup1:

suckmywake
03-29-2011, 10:40 PM
YES, do your self a favor and add a screen. Stock "screen" is useless.

Jesse J
03-30-2011, 10:24 AM
what's best screen material?

where does one get the graupner drives - all I found was a westbourne model site (http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/jet-drives-2377-0.html). where shipping seems pretty good - but how long is the question.

are the 19mm drives any good?

wparsons
03-30-2011, 10:59 AM
No one has any stock of the graupner drives last time I checked. KMB makes a 28mm drive that would turn this into a real hotrod, but the drive is abotu $100 alone.

damfurst
03-30-2011, 11:00 AM
I've seen them made from 3/16" window screen and various other things. I've usually made mine from screen found in discarded air filters. There are any number of things they can come from. The graupner drives can be found at Hobby Lobby though they still show them as out of stock. Cornwall Model boats in the UK also has them and the replacement impellers. They have great service and shipping is more than resonable. Usually they are cheaper than hobby lobby as well. Have dealt with them multiple times. As far as being any good they are as good as the Nqd one (same size), if not better.

wparsons
03-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Ahh, they're back in stock. I checked a couple weeks ago and they didn't even have the impellers in stock.

I'm trying to find someone that has the 29mm drive in stock (Pro2small) now, I thinking about making a fiberglass copy of the tear into and would like a 540 motor on the bigger drive for more oomph and durability.

Jesse J
03-30-2011, 11:22 AM
went with Cornwall. ordered a jet drive and a pair of impellers, couplers - hoping to upgrade one if not two of these guys to the same 3mm shafts.

Do you think the stock motors die after short time due to running on 3S?

I have a couple more of these brushed motors (from mini V) so should be good until I find me a good deal on a couple brushless motors. I wanna have two of these so I can give one to Dad that has been tried and trued in battle.

damfurst
03-30-2011, 07:08 PM
went with Cornwall. ordered a jet drive and a pair of impellers, couplers - hoping to upgrade one if not two of these guys to the same 3mm shafts.

Do you think the stock motors die after short time due to running on 3S?

I have a couple more of these brushed motors (from mini V) so should be good until I find me a good deal on a couple brushless motors. I wanna have two of these so I can give one to Dad that has been tried and trued in battle.

I think the stock motors die because they aren't that good. The Mini-V motor is better than the stock motor.

turbonutt
03-30-2011, 08:13 PM
what did you use for a water pick up in the stock impeller? I managed to pick up a NIB Graupner kit but it doesn't include anything for water cooling.

damfurst
03-30-2011, 08:19 PM
what did you use for a water pick up in the stock impeller? I managed to pick up a NIB Graupner kit but it doesn't include anything for water cooling.

Take a small piece of copper or alum tubing 1/8-5/16 diam and drill a hole in between the stator blades big enough for the tubing to fit into. On one end of the tubing cut or file a slight angle to it and then glue in place with a little of the end sticking in between the stator blades. Attach your cooling tubing and run to what ever you wish. You will more than enough cooling water at either slow or fast speed. Lucky that you found a Graupner Kit. I can post of pic of mine if it would help.

marko500
03-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Got my Tear Into mod done the other day. Hope to take it out for a test run this weekend. :thumbup:

Mark

wparsons
03-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Here's my water cooling pickup:
http://vnc.thewpp.ca/photos/TearInto/PICT0199.JPG

turbonutt
03-30-2011, 09:27 PM
thanks guys, I think I was just over thinking it. I did get lucky though, I had been trying to find a tear into with reasonable shipping to Canada when I found the kit at one of the local shops. It cost a little more ($100) but I just couldn't pass it up. Have to love the translation, RC Jet "BOOT" lol
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad358/markscott74/for%20sale/newboat.jpg

wparsons
03-30-2011, 10:18 PM
A real jet sprint is definitely worth the $100! Good find!

Jesse J
04-03-2011, 10:17 AM
had mine out yesterday for maiden voyage... dang the options are wide open on places to run! found me a cute little creek and had a blast jumping rapids. then she started to slow and looks like I smoke el motor! no surprise, eh? Wes, you weren't kidding that I would be upgrading motors soon. I have a little bl outrunner I will slap in. Wife took some photos - I was hoping for videos, but better than nuttin.

damfurst
04-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Here's a new vid with it surfing on the creek. Was a fun day!:thumbup:

http://youtu.be/sUtrBtvtJ0A

marko500
04-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Ran ours for the first time at the pond yesterday. Had a blast everything worked and nothing broke. Can't wait to get this thing into a creek. May serve double duty as a rescue boat also. Alot of fun for not alot of money!

Mark

EuroXS4
06-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Anyone know Where I can pick one of these boats up to modify??Everywhere ive looked is sold out!!LOL