PDA

View Full Version : JAE/ML Record Ovals Boat

Chilli
03-10-2011, 10:34 PM
You don't see too many Record Trials builds but I'm going to break tradition and share this build. I had allot of fun with my Spec "limited" JAE this past year. And I wanted to take it up a notch with a IMPBA P-hydro Oval Records build. I was motivated by the performance and lap times the nitro record holders (mainly Kentley Porter and Martin Truex) have been getting out of their JAE's in 2 lap ovals. I've been RC boating 2 years now with nine builds under my belt and have always played it safe by copying other peoples set up. This will be the first time I venture on my own. Hopefully I have learned enough from the good people on this board to be successful. My goal with this boat is to break the IMPBA 2 Lap oval record. My only expectation is to have fun and learn as much as I can from the guys in my district. Some of which are among the most knowledgeable people in the hobby.

The JAE FE is a great boat but the standard 2.5" interior width was just not going to cut it for my purposes. So I asked Mike Luszcz to laser cut me some pieces to widen the tub to 3". That extra 1/2 inch makes quite a difference. Using a combo of 2S and 4S packs I can now easily fit a 4s2P or 6s configuration in the tub. The extra beam also makes it a breeze to fit a Castle 15xx series motor with water jacket. I also toyed with moving the rear bulkhead up a bit but decided to leave the rest of the kit stock.

The tub was constructed using the Zippkits JAE FE kit as well as the modified pieces done by Mike. I reinforced the transom inside and out with 1/16" CF Plate. I also reinforce the sides where the motor mounts with 1/16" G10 Fiberglass. One mistake I learned is that when gluing the G10 to the tub walls I should put the plywood/G10 sandwich on a flat table with a weight on them to keep them from warping while curing. I had only clamped everything together after gluing and ended up with tub walls that were slightly warped. Despite a trace amount of warping (only at the motor mount area) , the bottom of the boat is square and I'm hoping it will not affect the performance of the boat. For hardware, I went with a Speedmaster small strut (with the nose cut down) and the Speedmaster mini rudder. I wanted an adjustable strut in this boat and a rudder that is a little longer. The Speedmaster rudder is 1/4” longer than the Zippkits. On my spec boat I ran the rudder 1-5/8” below the ski and the boat slides a bit in the turns. On this boat I’m at 2”. The rudder mount is too big for the transom so I cut half of it off using two screws to mount. I added a strip of CF plate to tie the tub wall to the rudder mount keeping the rudder aligned. On the tub lid, I added a little lip catch on the front to keep the front of the lid pinned down. It seems no matter how well I tape the cover on my JAE, the front of it lifts up a bit. I don’t want that bad boy peeling off at 70+.

One the inside, I used a two piece Williams Racing 3” rail mount and asked the good people at South River RC trim 1/16” off each end to allow for the G10 reinforcement. To accommodate the motor, I had to move the point at which the stuffing tube exits the tub rearward an inch or two. Because of this, I ran out of room for the servo on the floor of the tub. So I took some marine plywood and built a perch to raise the servo over the stuffing tube. This ended up being a good thing because the servo arm swings down to the perfect height through the transom to the rudder arm. The rudder servo is a HS-5245MG which is Hitec’s most powerful mini. The motor being uesed is a Neu 1521/1D (2900). This is a vey hot SAW motor. No three minute runs with this boat! Hopefully I can keep her cool and happy with smaller props. Keep in mind that total run time shouldn't be more than 45 seconds. Speed controller will be the new Castle Hydra Ice 240. For props I’ll be starting with a ABC 1716 . The motor should be able to take much more prop but I’m not sure I can. :eek: Batteries will be 4S1P Thunderpower 65C Lipos with 8mm bullets.

The sponsons are standard JAE. The only mod I made was for the turn fin mount. Some use the supplied wood screws and some use threaded inserts but I have had problems with stripping so I ended up installing blind nuts recessed in the wooden dowels. After assembly, I drilled out the dowels all the way through for #6 hex machine screws with my crappy drill press. Then on the outside of the sponson, I drilled 3/8” holes 1/2” deep into the dowels, sealed with epoxy, installed the #6 blind nuts and filled the holes with 3/8” dowel. One inch stainless hex screws now hold the turn fin solidly. David Preusse will be doing a replacement fin for my boat taking into account the additional weight of a FE over a nitro version.

That it folks. Hopefully I can get some test time within the next few weeks!!!

Doug Smock
03-10-2011, 11:00 PM
The boat looks great Mike!!!
BTW Your life is getting ready to change.:laugh:
Good luck sir!!!!
Doug:beerchug:

cybercrxt
03-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Chill Daddy, I sent you a reply email this morning. Your boat looks great! Cannot wait to see it knock down that record in April! Mike

Diegoboy
03-11-2011, 09:12 AM
I hope she does well Mile. My 4" wide one should get some testing this summer.

carlcisneros
03-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Mike;

I have some props you can try for testing and we can work on the new blades
when we get together at the Dist. meeting.

HOTWATER
03-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Yeah Baby!!! Should rip bro!

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!!

Don't forget to pack the drag chute! :buttrock:

Chilli
03-26-2011, 12:50 AM
Final pic with some paint. I wanted high vis. The thing looks like a Coast Guard cutter. :laugh:

raptor347
03-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Oh, the bug got him bad! Good luck with the new boat. You've got lots of power to work with in there. What time are you shooting for?

Doug Smock
03-26-2011, 10:31 AM
It looks great Mike!
Good luck sir!!
Doug

Chilli
03-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Thank you gentlemen. Brian, I know the motor may be overkill but I came across it cheap so I thought it would be fun to see what the JAE can do. I don't have your tuning or driving skills and have never driven a boat over 60 mph so I have no particular goal other than to break the IMPBA records at 26 seconds. One things' for sure, I'm not going to get tired of this boat for a while.

Any input in set up or prop selection from you ovals gurus or those that have run this motor are always welcome!!!:smile:

raptor347
03-26-2011, 09:42 PM
I don't think the motor is overkill. It's what I'm putting in my new 2-lap P boat. I know that motor will run sub 22 seconds. My '08 record was 22.05 with that motor in my old heat race hull and it was a tank by current standards. If I remember correctly, it was running a fairly mild ABC H-4. All things considered, the combo should be capable of sub 20's.

Go for the big number (small in this case). If nothing else, you'll scare the snot out of the buoys with the little beastie.

egneg
04-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Mike is the turn fin curved or flat?

HOTWATER
04-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Chuck, I sent him my turn fin to use this weekend...it is curved, sharp and three times as strong compared to the stock JAE fin. It is a Mike Hughes fin.

egneg
04-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Hi Kent, when you get it back can you give me the measurements. I am thinking I will make one with SS.

HOTWATER
04-16-2011, 06:18 PM
You bet....

Brushless55
04-16-2011, 08:17 PM
man this thing is going to run! :rockon2:

m4a1usr
04-17-2011, 01:04 PM
I hope she does well Mile. My 4" wide one should get some testing this summer.

Danny,
Have you started the 4" tub build yet? Curious minds want to know. Sorry Mike, dont want to detract from your build thread.

John

Chilli
04-18-2011, 12:29 AM
The build is over John. Post away.

BTW- My JAE's first day on the water today. Ran 21.423 for the IMPBA 1/3 mile record with D12 Nitro guru Kentley Porter at the wheel. She's got alot more in her. Now I've got six months till next trials for testing and to learn how to tame the beast.

egneg
04-18-2011, 03:41 AM
Congratz Mike !!!

HOTWATER
04-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Love the new avatar Mike (Sleep Tablets - "sleep like an air traffic controller")!! LOL!

moonlighter112
04-21-2011, 02:42 AM
When Kentley started to run the ELECTRIC boat the ground started shakeing KP running a ELECTRIC now thats cool!!!!.I can see it now a K ZAM 12 size rigger, N set up, 150 MPH.HA HA HA