PDA

View Full Version : unique idea using a motley crew

shannon87
03-09-2011, 01:30 AM
I have psoted this rougly in the other thread on this boat but i just wanted to maximise the hits i guess you could say.

Anyways i was intially going to do this with a geico but i like the motley a little better and it would have more room to do this and ill be using proboat to drive the boat.

It will stay stock for some time while i get my skills up and the warranty expires and i dont want to rush into this major undertaking but the plan is to use a proboat outboard and couple of goodies from kitec as well as a custom wrap from mono jeff there is nothin wrong with the paint scheme but just wanted to add more customisation.

I will of course have someones help with the main attachment of the outboard and steering then the testing will commence as i would like to have somethin unique that suits my style and likes.

But in saying that i would like to retain the factory coolness such as the unique layout of the watercooling system obviously the motor will just be behind the esc.

And it will also enable me to convert my aquacraft rio ep to an adjustable drive set up to be more brushless friendly and to be set up properly and be more speed orientated.

I should also ask you grim about what you think about me putting an outboard on your creation ? and anyone else who would like to add that would be great.

And i cant wait to shake up my club with the motley as they have no real options for RTR boats i plan to get the boat in a few months as work is a little slow plus it dont come out for a while and will give me a chance to see how people handle this boat and what they do although the vids look highly promising.

Not to mention it would be pretty cool if a manufacturer came up with a F/E outboard mono or cat i know its mostly tunnel domain and for good reason but i know quite a few people who would buy somethin like that and it would be cool to see a few outboard monos and cats buzzin round the pond.

I might even start a trend lol but its mostly for personal preference and to let newbs and casual boaters down here that you can have and prove that you can have a good competiton boat without spending a fortune as most of you know having RTR classes and spec classes.

I know im goin custom but i will be racing for a while with basically a stock boat with maybe the addition of a prop providing it doesnt void the warranty im just also worried about the deans as alot of people seem to replace them with bullets and i was hoping to prove that it can be done with a bone stock boat that only costs $350 not 3 times that.

Maybe with that evidence and word of mouth it will spark enought interest in the local boating scene for new members and casual boaters even seasoned racers to give it a go and hint the hobby stores to stock RTR racers such as the SV27r,motley crew,miss gieco,formula fastech and king of shaves just to name a few.

As most stores near me mainly stock nitros or toy boats and F/E would be special order i know its because its what sells the most but when someone walks in and sees only those there like its nitro or nothin if i wanna race as its exactly what i thought and i had to find out everything from the net and you great people.

Hopefully all this will have the desired result to help people,hobby stores and the greater boating community and the sport.

Sorry about the long thread i just have an awful lot to say and on my mind lol and really wanna help people andthe sport

Grimracer
03-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Shannon,

A few things to consider: The transom of the Motley Crew is not designed for an outboard and truth is it would be risky hanging one on the boat with out cutting in and making this area stronger.

I think you will also find the power head from Proboat to be way out of scale for the Motley Crew and might looks quite large for the boat. (we both know this is purely personal preference)… Our EP-1 would look better (two of them would look smoking hot on the back of the Motley Crew) but the skeg is WAY TO SMALL on that lower unit.

BUT.. after saying all this the largest reason is handling. I have yet to have any luck with OBs on cats. (I have done it) The fact that the rudder and the prop shaft are tied together along with how cats are typically designed (long sponson flat sections and shallow dead rise angles) can make for some very tricky tuning.

Chances are you would not be happy with the outcome.

Not saying it can not be done.. just please approach with caution.

Grim

shannon87
03-09-2011, 04:43 PM
hi grim ill definately take your advice as you know your boat better than anyone i may just leave it inboard and focus on making that run great plus i get to keep the cool interior layout while still making it custom and adding other scale touches.

And when im ready to do an outboard cat randy at bby racing said it can be done with one of his cats with special factory modifications to suit the outboard.

I have thought about one on a sv27r but when i have seen one with the proboat outboard it also looks way out of scale lol. I would like to do it with an ep1 also but im worried about the brass gears thats why i didnt consider.

But as i said ill just get a custom cat designed to suit an outboard or 2 lol and while im at it do you think thre is a good mono out there that you would recommend that might handle an outboard ? as i wouldnt mind doing one next as i will already have a cat

And with the motley crew how does the deans handle up as most seem to change to bullet connectors as i mentioned i would like to race it stock for a while without making any changes.

Thanks grim for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer my questions and cant wait for the motley crew .

Grimracer
03-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Shannon,

For sure Randy will take care of you.. You are in good hands with him.

I have ran nitro outboard monos in the past (racing applications) and its fun but again a bit tricky to tune. Prather use to sell one and truth is that hull might work quite well with the ProBoat outboard! You can still buy the hull from Hyperformace Products.

For sport running with the stock prop they just barely make it. They will work but limit your run times. Someday that standard needs to change again.. I would switch to 5.5 as a minimum when you get going.

Have fun

Grim

shannon87
03-10-2011, 05:55 PM
hi grim thanks so much it really helps ill look into the prather mono or randy its funny though most say it wont work i spoke to darin jordan about the idea a while back using the geico.

And he basically just said they dont know how to accept out of the norm and pretty much what you said about it taking work and tuning but a cool idea and he wanted to do the same.

In saying that im more inclined to take your and his advice as you have both designed and their your products so if anybody would know it would be you guys thats why im glad you replied it means alot.

But ill go with randy on my next build so the cat can be set up for the outboard before it leaves the factory or the prather mono.

And couple last questions grim #1 will it be ok to race it with the stock deans as i want race it while keeping the warranty i ask this because most say change them because the wont hold up.

And as i said i would like to race it during the warranty withou it havin to sit on the shelf for three months till it expires to do the connectors because i didnt want the boat catching fire or something lol.

#2 I have a rio ep that i was doing a conversion on originally using some fast electric hardware such as new motor mount and strut and off set rudder off the sv27r.

But then i thought with some work on the transom could i do it using the EP1 outboard as the boat is just for sport and mucking around and i was also going to FG the bottom of the hull to hold the motor mount if going inboard but if outboard also as im already doing the transom.

#3 How will the EP1 gears be in terms of lasting and where could i get replacements as i have heard people having trouble with them lasting and finding replacements.

#4 and if i do inboard what is the size of the stock flex shaft on the rio and will the sv27 strut work on the rio without big complicated changes.

Thanks grim for being patient and helping me out and sorry about all the newb questions

shannon87
03-11-2011, 09:58 AM
sorry also forgot to ask if i was to change the connectors to 5.5 mm bullets and add one of your props will that in anyway void the warranty or any kind of modifications.

Chinewalker
03-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Always interested in another outboard project! :popcorn2:
I'm also interested to know if the gears for the EP1 will be made available as a replacement part...
Thanks!

shannon87
03-11-2011, 06:02 PM
cool yer no worries thats of course when i make my mind up on which boat to go with because there are just a few concerns as here are the pros and cons i think lol first up the motley crew

pros
Tub design,offset rudder,unique cooling system,cheaper to set up, will only need minimal modifications, more room on the transom, handles great, more room for battery adjustment for cog doesnt seem to need much adjustment, doesnt bounce, higher amp esc, higher kv motor.

cons
may not look right with the outboard, narrower,not as proven thats pretty much about it in that regards lol ok now

geico pros, proven hull, wider, the outboard prob would look better as im only using a single as it has a nice little extension where the stock rudder is almost looks that an outboard was meant to go there, handles great, motor has more torque.

thats all i can think of there may be more but just from what i gathered.

Now cons, needs battery tray extensions for more cog options, possibly offset rudder,less room for battery location, bounces, seems to need alot of adjustment, lower kv motor, lower amp esc.

I may be missing something but its pretty much what i have gathered that the motley crew seems more newb friendly as it would seem it needs less mucking around to get it to run flat and corner hard.

But the geico while being possibly more suited to an outboard setup requires intially more set up and because of these possible modifications is more expensive to set up.

Its just it would be easier just basically not having to worry to much about major setting up and i just want to mainly want to worry about learining to drive without what would seem to be a few modifications before i can attemp to even to be able to adjust the bounce out of the geico.

Those are my only concerns with the geico other than that i love the boat it looks really awesome sitting on the water.

But i have always preffered the functionality of something over its looks as i can change the looks much easier than trying to get it to perform.

But like i said i dont want that to be my mafor concern is having to get it modified pretty much straight away and as i said it seems i would only have to make minor adjustments with the motley and i can mainly focus on learing to drive.

While i love tinkering i need to learn how to drive first and ill have enough on my plate than to worry about getting it modified so i can set it up properly and it makes the geico seem more directed to someone who has setup experience as all im used to is droppin in the batteries and goin and never drivin anythin remotely fast.

While i know im doing a major modification later on which will require alot of tweaking but hopefully by then i will have learned how to tweak and drive good and know how to pick out what the boat is doing and how to tune it out.

But like i said im just a newb so my thinking may be way out and even grim said the outboard wont look right on the motley the EP1 will but there is no replacement gears for them so that rules them out.

The hyperformance 3.5 bullet drive may look ok but there is no cover so no scale looks or motor protection lol.

I dunno the proboat outboard may look ok as the hull is just about 30 inches long and it dont matter if it looks a little big i can live with that.

But in sayin all that in this essay of a post lol in the end it comes down to which hull would be more suited to the proboat outboard as that is the ultimate end result and hence why im confused and with regards to setting up the geico im willing to over look that if it would be better with the outboard than the motley.

And besides the water cooling layout will be changed so that doesnt really matter and i probably can get a motor jacket from the motley as a spare part to use on the geico.

The only major 3 advantages i can see that the motley has is more room on the transom, more room in the hull and requires less to set up but like i said it comes down to what would be better suited to the outboard lol.

Sorry about the essay of a post but this is why i hate being a newb and wanting to do something unique and custom.

Grimracer
03-15-2011, 12:00 PM
I have read this a few times.. Im not sure if Im to help or not!...:confused2:

Anywho....

ROCKET AND ROLL~

Grim

chummer
03-15-2011, 12:16 PM
I have read this a few times.. Im not sure if Im to help or not!...:confused2:

Anywho....

ROCKET AND ROLL~

Grim

Grim,

Still waiting for a brushless version of the Rio. A nice fiberglass 29"-32" hull would be really cool. Any chance we might see something like that in the future.:spy::spy:

Sorry,, Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have to ask.:thumbup1:

Grimracer
03-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Chummer,

I realy can not talk about the projects I have on my work bench here at AquaCrafts Black Lab or as we call it (J.A.C.K) its a code word and I can not tell you what that means!.. Im just having fun with ya.. :rockon2:

But thanks for asking and keep us in mind in the future! We realy do have some WICKED projects on the work bench!

Take Care

Grimracer
P.S… JACK is the name of AquaCrafts head managers dog.. yep.. it’s a……Black Lab!

shannon87
03-15-2011, 06:01 PM
hi grim its cool man i have appreciatd what you have done for me so far it means alot anyways i have been talking to randy and he is going to put me together a scat cat 32 especially for the outboard as i cannot bring myself to ruin the motley crew.

Anyways i cant wait to see these wicked new projects as the rio was my first boat and i love it would be cool in a fibreglass brushless version.

And would be cool to see an outboard powered vee or cat i am thinking about throwin an EP1 outboard on the rio and fibreglassing the transom and bottom of the hull but i need to know where to get spare gears lol just incase cheers grim.