PDA

View Full Version : Blackjack hardware upgrade

zero9046
01-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Just finished installing the fuller's cat hardware on my blackjack. Let me know what you think

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a160/zero9046/DSC00307.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a160/zero9046/DSC00300.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a160/zero9046/DSC00299.jpg

The yellow thing in the back corner is the RX, and I've moved the ESC up in front of the motor like several other guys have done. Regarding the batteries, how many of you are just placing them in the "stock" position. Also, TXboatpilot, anything pointers on a sweet spot set up for the fullers hardware? I noticed that my hardware is different from yours, and the propeller is set further back away from the boat than yours or anyone else's. Is this going to affect performance?

I'm going to run her tomorrow, so hopefully i will have some better numbers on the GPS than i did with the stock hardware.

Also, I have an extra sv motor lying around, and discovered that the octura coupler it has on it is too large to clear the motor mount. Any ideas on how to solve that problem? I'm not really sure that I can get the coupler of the SV motor because the grub screw is stripped...something i did before i knew any better. I'd like to use the octura, as it is more robust, but it just won't clear the motor mount.

txboatpilot
01-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Looks great! My hardware is "like" fullers, I did not acually get it from Ray Fuller.. I would start w/ the strut level or 1mm above level with the sponsoon bottoms.. Not really sure what you are asking about the couplers??

Apples1
01-05-2008, 04:53 PM
RX?? looks good, your GC might be a little forward but if you play around with the batts it should run sweet, what did it cost you for the fullers setup ncluding the flex system?

Nice Job!

zero9046
01-05-2008, 05:10 PM
txboatpilot, by coupler, i mean the thing that connects the motor shaft to the flex cable. also, just out of curiosity, where did you get your hardware?

apples1, i assume are you asking what kind of rx it is? it is a hitec agressor 2 fm system. the receiver, conveniently enough, is completely compatible with my futaba magnum 2pl fm radio, which has something like 10 model memory, so as soon as i get around to buying a radio crystal for the channel the futaba is on, i will be using that transmitter. the fuller setup was about 100bucks, just like it says on the website, and it comes with the flex cable. all I had to do was drill two new holes in the hull for the mount, and cut down the flex cable. not difficult at all.

txboatpilot
01-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Coupler, I understand, but why use the sv motor and coupler in the BJ?? I got my strut from a local friend that does machine work, and just added a fullers rudder and a strut I had laying around...

zero9046
01-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I was considering using the sv motor in the blackjack because it is a higher kv rating from what i understand, and it is just lying around anyways.

txboatpilot
01-05-2008, 06:04 PM
SV27 is 1800kv and BJ26 is 1500kv... The 1500kv will allow you to run a bigger prop and most likley run faster... But, if it the SV27 motor is just laying around, try it out and see what props you can turn with it!! Mabey see which has more punch or tourqe..

Apples1
01-06-2008, 05:27 AM
could a novice like me fit the same system?

RCprince
01-06-2008, 06:12 AM
there's a discrepancy with the SV kv and The BJ kv...Some say the the SuperVee kv is 1600 as a matter of fact I seen it on a tower flier once, and I've also seen the BJ kv as 1606

zero9046
01-06-2008, 03:31 PM
just ran my blackjack after installing fuller's cat hardware and got a whopping 29mph on the gps. i know it is installed correctly and is free of any binding, but from there i'm clueless about cats. any pointers on setting it up correctly for more speed? i know this thing has got at least 40mph without any other upgrades. the batteries were placed in their stock positions (6 cell GP 3700's) and the speed control was mounted in front of the motor as per some other people's set ups i have seen. I did notice that another person's boat, when still pictures were taken in the water, sat much lower at the stern. my boat was basically level, which i assume means the first thing i should do is work out the CG. Other than that, any pointers? Oh, the prop...the only props I had to work with were the Graupner CF props, and decided to prop conservatively with a CF 40, although I have a 42, 45, and 48 as well. Can the BJ take a CF 48 without overheating everything? The strut was set lvl with the bottom of the sponsons, should it be higher, lower? any adivce?

*if some of this seems a little too explanatory for a thread i've already started, I just cut and pasted from the rcuniverse forum i posted in.

obrien
01-06-2008, 04:07 PM
The pictures you probably saw were of my boat. When I am running my boat for pure top speed numbers, my batteries go all the way to the transom. I also run a slight bit of up angle on the prop. But with your prop being further back from the transom, you may not need as much. You will simply have to try some different settings with your strut to see what works best. I started neutral, then when down, then up and finally trimmed the prop up slightly.

Another thing you need to look at is other props. So far from my testing, as well as others, the best prop has been the octura x642 that has been detounged.

txboatpilot
01-06-2008, 04:09 PM
I ran mine this morning, with CF48 and it ran well with no heat issues.. But the water temps are around 55 deg.. GPS was 41.7mph with 2x 4S1P 3700mAH Polyquest lipos... My BJ26 seemed to GPS around 35-37mph with CF42....Have not tried CF40...

Diegoboy
01-06-2008, 04:12 PM
there's a discrepancy with the SV kv and The BJ kv...Some say the the SuperVee kv is 1600 as a matter of fact I seen it on a tower flier once, and I've also seen the BJ kv as 1606

This flier??

Towerhobbies (http://www.towerhobbies.com/catalog/2007/pdfs/1001033-tcat-p171.pdf)

zero9046
01-06-2008, 04:20 PM
well, after moving the ESC back to its stock position and placing some batteries in, it appears that the CG is about the middle of the second step as far as i can tell. Is that too far forward? I suppose since my first goal with this boat is to get it to go FAST, then i should take the battery trays out...but how? I tried prying each one a bit to see how hard they would be to rip out, and they seem pretty well secured to the vertical wood stringers. Any ideas on that?

treystoys
01-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Zero, your main problem right now is not your center of gravity, if your prop is more than an inch or two behind the transom, your strut height needs to be above the bottom of the hull. And when we refere to strut height, we mean the bottom surface of the strut in relation to the imaginary line that would be if the boat hull was sitting on the table and what happens on a stepped cat hull is that it sits only on the tips of the steps...that is basically the running surface, and should be used to eye up your strut height.

Remove your prop, and spin fins if they're still installed, then set the boat on a table or other flat surface. Loosen the strut adjustment bolts and slide the strut up so that the bottom of the strut is about 1/4" off the tabe, and level with the table. This should be a starting point. The 40mm prop should work fine to get atleast mid 30s. I have run an octura x440 with batteries in the stock wooden trays with the strut set level with the bottom, and run over 42mph. Thats on 12 IB4200 nihm cells.

Good luck, hope this helps

Trey

obrien
01-06-2008, 08:05 PM
The battery trays will come out with a pair of plyers. you just have to be careful when you remove them

zero9046
01-06-2008, 10:32 PM
thanks for both replies. when i received the fullers' hardware i was surprised because i didn't expect it to be set so far back. why did fuller do that? thanks for the tips again!

treystoys
01-07-2008, 12:14 AM
I think the concensus with the set back for the rudder is for a better pivot point when turning, especially both ways like in the offshore classes. By pivot point, I mean if you have a rudder mounted directly to the transom, there is less leverage to swing the hull around where as with the rudder 4-6 inches behind the hull, it has a higher amount of leverage...kind of like breaking a rusty bolt either with a standard length ratchet and socket, or a breaker bar...which one wins...the longer one. As far as the prop being further back, its another matter of leverage, that one for holding the boat in the water while still running a far back CG...in other words, you can more easily air the hull out with less worry of a blow over...just think of the prop way back there as the rear most running surface of the hull...its not actually, but it serves the same purpose.

Good luck with it and hopefully I didn't confuse more than help!

Trey

zero9046
01-07-2008, 01:02 AM
no, that makes a lot of sense. thank you very much! i've become very familiar with monohulls over the last year or so, and now that i have broken my goal of faster than 40mph on my supervee, its time to start tinkering with the blackjack and leave the sv for racing.

zero9046
01-09-2008, 02:00 AM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a160/zero9046/DSC00318.jpg

This is the result of raising the prop strut above the bottom of the sponsons. To me the u-shaped bend in the shaft looks kind of silly, although it causes no binding or anything. I suppose given the position of the mounting holes in the transom it might be better to go with a set up where the prop is closer to the transom? What kind of affect on speed is this going to have on the boat?

treystoys
01-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Is there any way you can shoot another pic of the boat sitting on a table with the strut on the table as well...it looks above the bottom of the hull, but also looks to have some negative angle it it too. Just a thought...if you could take a picture with the boat sitting like described, and with the camera level with the table surface.

ttyl

Trey

obrien
01-09-2008, 06:27 PM
I would have to think that with the extra bends in the shaft, you would have to be losing some power. but has to how much that is hard to tell. You might try putting more angle up on the prop just to see what that does.

zero9046
01-09-2008, 08:31 PM
more up angle without actually elevating the entire strut?

obrien
01-10-2008, 12:15 AM
yes. basically you can eithe drop the front of the strut, or raise the back

zero9046
01-12-2008, 03:21 AM
just got my hands on a pair of barracuda 80 amp ESC's modded with water cooling for a really good price.

if i still use the stock motor on this boat, what kind of prop set ups do you think i can get away with.

also, if anyone has a supervee as well, mine has an ammo 2300kv motor, what kind of props can i throw on it with 12 or 14 cells and a barracuda 80?

zero9046
01-12-2008, 08:55 PM
latest update. went to the pond today and was further disappointed. had to throw in 14 cells to get 34.8 mph. i tried the strut in all different number of places, and the speed seemed to pick up the most with the strut lowered and pointing up a bit. still disappointed with the speed... so, since i had a spare SV motor laying around, i installed it (with much trouble) and we'll see what happens tomorrow when i head back out to the pond.

zero9046
01-13-2008, 08:53 PM
no one? no ideas on the fiego motors?

obrien
01-13-2008, 11:24 PM
I haven't tried a fiegao motor yet.