PDA

View Full Version : Aquacraft Motley Crew Cat

louleslie
03-04-2011, 08:25 PM
http://aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub2100-motley...::Gurus predictions on the new CAT:help::help:from Aquacraft, due from Tower early April?

1. Top speed stock?___________________

2. Will it run smooth without any aberations unlike the M.G.

3. Will you have to replace the rudder and upgrade flex cable per M.G?

4. Will you have to replace everything in it to be fun like everything else
that comes down the pike with the possible exception of SV 27:sarcasm1:

Basic cost $350
Lipos 150 :just-kidding:
Upgrades 300
Total $800

louleslie
03-04-2011, 11:01 PM
http://aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub2100-motley-crew/aqub2100-main-lrg.jpg

Darin Jordan
03-04-2011, 11:36 PM
MG Jabs are completely uncalled for. Why can't you just appreciate what AQ has produced, if that's your thing, without having to cut down other people's hard work??

1) 40-42
2) MG runs fine when you know what you are doing with setup. I suspect the MC will work the same way.
3) No need to change the rudder on the MG if you don't want to, and the cable is fine. I suspect the MC will work the same way.

4) No... again, if you know what you are doing, you are likely going to be able to get more out of the MC with setup, good batteries, and a correct prop.

Fluid
03-04-2011, 11:45 PM
I tested a prototype last year. Based on that experience:

1. 36-38 mph, easily increased 6-8 mph with a different prop.

2. Probably, although I do not know what differences there will be between the prototype and the production boat.

3. Running gear is basically the UL-1 stuff, no problems with that.

4. No silly boy. This boat is extremely fun right out of the prototype box. Again the production may be slightly different.

Your glass-half-full approach is just so boring......:sarcasm1:

LarrysDrifter
03-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Predictions arent necessary. Buy one for yourself and find out.

Jeff Wohlt
03-05-2011, 10:46 AM
It is a little disheartening when buying these RTR boats that they are not handling better out of the box. This is why these questions are coming up...people are now worried. Look at other forums...EKOS, etc.

We have seen at least 3 that needed extensive mods just to run close to what they promote. This is no way to get people that HAVE to buy RTR rigs starting in the FE fun world.

We should not expect them to offset rudders and fix cracks or wonder why their boat is full of water from a cooling can that could have been 100% for $6.95.

Sorry but I tend to agree with the poster that a little more R&D should be done to make sure the boat runs out the way it is intended.

UL1....do you really know how many when back because of issues with water cooling, cracking, strut bushings, etc?

We are skilled in this and most are on this board. But you can't do this and expect to not get some crap from newbies.

Darin Jordan
03-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Sorry but I tend to agree with the poster that a little more R&D should be done to make sure the boat runs out the way it is intended.

If you had any idea how the process works, you would understand that NO amount of R&D, short of Grim or I building and assembling each boat ourselves, can make them 100%... NOT for the low, LOW price that these things have to sell for. Once we send the final, VERY R&D'd versions to the manufacturers, it's out of our hands.

The phrase "would bitch if hung with a new rope" comes to mind.

We have some FANTASTIC RTR options out there... complain if you want, but it's only getting better each year. Lest we forget what USED to be available (if anything...)

All that said... I can promise you that, if it's within our control, I KNOW that both Grim and I, and everyone else involved, is trying like CRAZY to make these boats be satisfying, right out of the box. I believe we have been getting it pretty close to right lately.

No amount of R&D is going to make up for a user not taking the time to make the necessary adjustments. All we can do is get it right based on an AVERAGE situation, and provide enough adjustments for the end-user to tailor the setup to THEIR situation.

If that's not good enough, then I don't know what to tell you.

louleslie
03-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Hey Darin, Larry, & Fluid or is that Moe?

Sitting here with my glass half full of fine Kentucky bourbon, gazing on my backyard lake. Ordered a Motley Crew from Tower, the day they became available.
Running, crashing, rebuilding and having a hell of a time with my: Pursuit, thanks to Diesel and Jan, Traxxas Spartan, Supervee 27R, not a Spektrum in sight. I embrace RC Boating as a plesant mental illness but draw the line at religion. Sometimes I know what I'm doing. Seem to be getting some dialog, which was my intention.

Lou

Jeff Wohlt
03-05-2011, 12:14 PM
You seem to be using excuses....the old rope issue is nothing but some lame excuse to get the attention off quality. I would prefer a new rope but any will do...it is how you use the rope....knot on the side or behind the head. One does it right and one does it the wrong way ...which is sloppy and you strangle instead of having your neck snapped...the right way. But enough with that horror.

Bringing in the money issue to sell something is just telling me CHEAP is poor quality. Have you seen the replacement parts on the UL1...a can cooler for the that kind of money...do car makers build cars to last forever...nope...parts and service is where the money is.

I can tell you after a proto is tested and items are made for production then inspected by the buyer BEFORE final approval and manufac process begins you also should get a production model to test AGAIN. You should have had this option. Maybe HH was really the final say and inpectors....I do not know.

...do we just throw the blame on China? Do we blame design and final protoype testing on you? Wrong wound flex cable? Did you really get a final boat "from" production to test, run, inpect parts and all that...since you are the designer then seems you would have had a hand in this with HH for final sign off.

I started out just picking on all the parts RTRs with issues but seems we are on the MG and I apologize for that but he who puts up needs to back it up.

This is NOT personal to you, Darin...just help me understand. How this can happen instead of telling me I do not not understand production.

Sorry guess it is really just another friggin toy boat...maybe we should just chaulk it up to more china crap that can't follow specs. Not our fault.

Fluid
03-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Well, a couple more added to my ignore list. Good luck boys.

Darin Jordan
03-05-2011, 01:02 PM
You seem to be using excuses....

BS... I'm not making excuses... I'm telling you how the things work. I don't have anything to make excuses for. These boats from Aquacraft and ProBoat are HEADs and TAILs better than any RTRs we've ever had available, and they keep improving.

I can tell you after a proto is tested and items are made for production then inspected by the buyer BEFORE final approval and manufac process begins you also should get a production model to test AGAIN. You should have had this option. Maybe HH was really the final say and inpectors....I do not know.

You are making assumptions that this doesn't ALREADY happen! WHY do you think the Stiletto delivery was delayed?? OH, yeah... you buys BITCHED about that too... Perhaps there MIGHT have been a good reason??

Wrong wound flex cable? Did you really get a final boat "from" production to test, run, inpect parts and all that...since you are the designer then seems you would have had a hand in this with HH for final sign off.

YES, I DID get a final copy, and I DID check the cables, and it WAS NOT reverse wound... I have NO control over how they translate a final approval into a production process. Either way, BIG DEAL! Horizon and ProBoat stepped up BIG TIME and get the problem fixed as SOON as they possibly could. If that's not good enough for you, again, rope...

This is NOT personal to you, Darin...just help me understand. How this can happen instead of telling me I do not not understand production.

Well... I'm taking it personally, and you do NOT understand the ins and outs of dealing with Chinese Production, as clearly illustrated by this post. WHY do you think that things change in the MIDDLE of a production run (UL-1 motors, BJ26 Motors... etc.)?? Do you think that's planned? Could it be sourcing?? Could it be production mistakes? Stuff happens, and YES, it might JUST be possible it's out of some of our hands.

This "designer" stuff is a HOBBY for me... I'm not paid staff... I'm not on-site... I do this stuff in my garage, in my spare time, and I don't get to go to the production facility and inspect every boat off the line. You don't have the $1,000/ boat that that would cost if that's how things were done.

Stuff happens, and when Grim, or I, or whoever, gives our final buyoff on a design and production sample, it IS possible that things can be "altered" after that point. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen (flex cable, turn fin glass, Stiletto issue that none of you knew about because I caught it on the first production sample and set the fixing process in motion, causing the delay in availability... :glare: ) We do our best...

And, by the way... both the Stiletto AND the Geico do EXACTLY what they were designed to do. They go 35-36 MPH out of the box, and MUCH faster if you know what you are doing. They will run in their Out-of-the-box configuration for decent runtimes, without risking the electonics, and they run and handle well in that configuration. AND, they can both be improved upon by users inclined to do so, with simple upgrades that don't require a lot of modeling or boating skill to achieve.

Sounds like pretty well designed base platforms to me...

louleslie
03-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Fluid,
Passive-Agressive is a sum zero game, besides you can't
ignore quality concerns. It's an elephant in the room.:sinking-guy:

Doby
03-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Sepeculation is the fools way to feel important.

Only a few of us have seen/run/raced against this boat.

Has anyone else had this boat in there hands? I think not.....as to quality issues.....there is no elephant in the room for this new boat as no one has one.

Another stupid thread that leads nowhere.

Jeff Wohlt
03-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Well thanks for helping me understand...more. I do understand changes in production and I do understand that you took it personally. Sorry for that. I am thinking of the newbies and what it does for getting them going. Maybe slower is the key.

Fluid, I am so surprised by your response. Just ashame you have that attitude to just turn and off people like a faucet.

Darin Jordan
03-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Sepeculation is the fools way to feel important.

Only a few of us have seen/run/raced against this boat.

Has anyone else had this boat in there hands? I think not.....as to quality issues.....there is no elephant in the room for this new boat as no one has one.

Another stupid thread that leads nowhere.

Where is the "Like" button?? :thumbup1:

Well stated.

louleslie
03-05-2011, 04:26 PM
The elephant is the lack of quality delivered by Corperations selling RTR RC Boats. Why are you opining on a stupid thread? Any money in the game?

Doby
03-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Why are you opinioning on a product you know nothing about?

Steven Vaccaro
03-05-2011, 04:37 PM
http://aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub2100-motley...::Gurus predictions on the new CAT:help::help:from Aquacraft, due from Tower early April?

1. Top speed stock?___________________

2. Will it run smooth without any aberations unlike the M.G.

3. Will you have to replace the rudder and upgrade flex cable per M.G?

4. Will you have to replace everything in it to be fun like everything else
that comes down the pike with the possible exception of SV 27:sarcasm1:

Basic cost $350
Lipos 150 :just-kidding:
Upgrades 300
Total $800

Did you own a MG? I have one and its great.
I played with the offset rudder and all that and still think its just as good stock.
I dont expect perfection for the cost of a entry level race boat. NOTHING is ever without the chance of issues.

Oh and about the comment on the SV, (and I love my 2 SV27's), have you owed one of those? It takes some time and tuning to tame one. Thats why I enjoy the hobby.

Short and long of it is if you want a perfect boat there are guys out there that with build on for you for about $1k-2K.

louleslie
03-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Doby,
I was bored and wanted to piss off
some uptight person who always
parrots the company line. Over and
out.

Lou

LarrysDrifter
03-05-2011, 05:22 PM
This useless thread needs to be deleted.

louleslie
03-05-2011, 05:23 PM
I agree

Doby
03-05-2011, 06:15 PM
I agree

Just go away.

Jeff Wohlt
03-05-2011, 06:28 PM
I was not even speaking of the new cat...i think it will do well. Just more general about some past rtrs and some issues they have had...Ul 1 being a main issue. I do own a MG with a 4074 2200 and i am pretty certain i wont be moving the rudder..it is not rocket science.

So chill, please...nobody is cutting your designs, hardwork or efforts. It helps grow the industry and as long as people do not have major issues then it is good for all.

louleslie
03-05-2011, 06:44 PM
:spy:Doby,

I'm coming after you and your dogs.

Lou

18-foot fully robotic patrol boat prototype. Note the diesel powerplant and numerous control devices and electronics.
http://www.oceanmasterboats.com/commercial/images/18robot.jpg

Doby
03-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Well at least he's now on a different topic........threats and diesel boats....:eek:

PDR447
03-05-2011, 08:31 PM
almost hate to reply to this and bring it back "on topic" but I'm new to FE and I have a MG. I'm pretty much their target consumer for these boats. I can say I'm nothing but happy with my MG. for ~300 I'm running pretty close to a fully upgraded EKOS and Genesis that are also in my group of friends(they're definitely faster but they also have a lot more money into their boats). My MG out handles them in the corners though. MG and MC do just what they are intended, they give a great base to start from for a reasonable price and if you really want to go faster they take well to upgrades.

sounds like some of you guys are expecting stuff more like this for your RTR's: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=21765
He'll build you one if you really want it and I'm sure it will live up to all your RTR expectations(or maybe not???) but it will cost you a LOT more than MG or MC.

Brushless55
03-05-2011, 08:50 PM
maybe this has to do with the flop of a mono traxxas came out with :confused1:
but AQ and Proboat gots their stuff together!!! :banana:

Grimracer
03-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Jeff W

Could you please let me know (you can pm me) what problems you had in particular with your UL-1..

Thanks

Grim

Insaniac
03-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Let's put this speculative thread on hold until the MC is available and there is some real-world data available...JMHO

Brushless55
03-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I think this Cat has one a race or two last year during development?

JMSCARD
03-07-2011, 05:24 PM
I have been looking at these and waiting .. but I like the Miss Geico the best of em' .... The idea of putting a nice prather 230 on her and running mid 40's with 2, 2s lipos is awful nice.... and the fact that I have spent 10 times the asking price on a Single boat makes me like it as well...lol... think once I recoup from my last weeks purchases I am gonna buy me one!!!

Jeff Wohlt
03-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Mike, I have only fixed the ones that got them from the LHS here maybe 5-6. He sold many and they are enjoying them very much now. We got the right props and they are rockets but hard to handle in race conditions.

What have I done to them: I fixed the turnfin area with cracks and tried fixing the coolers but ended up getting them from Kintec. Besides helping them with some propping changes and we did put in most of the new strut bushings I make after cutting the stuffing tube back. I know, Jay T and you hate this but it works best for us. The bushing was spinning in the stuffing tube and would eventually wear out or worse... seize up. Of course we have added some wire drives to a few.

Other than that....they are happy. I made sure they did not retun them...well we did return 2 ESCs but they were just bad from the factory.

My hobby guy knows who to call when he has unhappy customers and is now selling more boats. A couple newbies were ready to send them back as they had no idea what to do...especially at the hull cracks at the turnfin. They now love them.

That was probably my concern on some fo the RTRs. The MG is a big hit but does a lot of dancing....the AQ cat should be a good one. Most everything is the same so we know it has been tested for hardware and motors, esc, etc.

You can't throw a cat togther and stick steps on her and expect true running. More to it than that...as you know.

Thanks for asking.

Grimracer
03-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Just want to clarify then..

You yourself do not own one..

But you have helped 5 or 6 people in your area? Get past some of the first issues we had with the boat.

OK.. Cool! ..Thanks

Grim

H2OCamel
03-07-2011, 10:08 PM
All I have to say is that if you think the glass is half full or half empty your are only half right. It is always full! 1/2 liquid the other half gasses! LOL now you can go back to your regular scheduled program.

Jeff Wohlt
03-07-2011, 10:33 PM
I had one of the first but sold it after I changed a few things. Never ran but now wish I had but I had a local buyer waiting on one so I let him have it. These guys are having a blast with them. I am still hung on cats...got rid of all my hydros excpt a Classic that I still have...she runs out pretty well with an 8XL and 4S.

I think the AQ cat will do well. Several positive reports. The inner dual hull is sweet.

No, I don't bash all RTRs. Actually they have done a complete 360 compared to what we had before. So, you and Darin deserve a nice "kudos" nothing can be perfect to start out and I know you both are dedicated to the sport.

Grimracer
03-08-2011, 03:58 PM
BUT.. I bet my SuperVee can beat your SuperVee...

THAT is what the intent of the boat and it has PROVEN that year after year..

The VS1 on the other hand was not designed or EVER intended for FE.. BUT.. its still a very formidable contender..

Truth is the Villian/VS1 one of the Best Sport Tunnels ever marketed.. It likely has more wins (club, district and national level) in RC tunnel boat racing then any other tunnel boat on the market. Especially for 150 bucks!.. but.. I do have to say.. the HTB 290 has a ton of wins as well.. the Mod class just does not fill as thick as the Sport class.

Make mine AQUACRAFT!

ROCK AND ROLL!

Grim

Chose your weapon
Turn away and take 10 steps
Turn and FIRE.. see ya at the finish line! :w00t:

rchuntlsl
03-08-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't see why people need to have a race ready boat out of the box. These are for guys just starting out and they will have a ton of fun with them. Then they will build a kick a$$ one and spend all their money with OSE. Then their wives will bitch at them, want a $400 purse or $200 jeans because they spent a bunch of money on their boat. Circle of life my friend.

LarrysDrifter
03-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Get rid of the annoying wives and do what you want,when you want.

Grimracer
03-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Big

I did not know those were questions but to answer I would say no and yes..

The SV although has a single planing surface, also has a very tall freeboard. Just not good mono material. I have never considered the SV competition mono marital. Some have had fun trying and some have even had some good luck racing them.. but a mono.. na.. that its not..

The VS-1 on other hand is about the best you can buy for what it was intended for. It still wins even after 14 years off the table. (its getting quite old! lol)

Grim

dana
03-08-2011, 06:48 PM
im dying to see some good vid of the aquacat......:Praying: "taps foot"

Brushless55
03-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Big

I did not know those were questions but to answer I would say no and yes..

The SV although has a single planing surface, also has a very tall freeboard. Just not good mono material. I have never considered the SV competition mono marital. Some have had fun trying and some have even had some good luck racing them.. but a mono.. na.. that its not..

The VS-1 on other hand is about the best you can buy for what it was intended for. It still wins even after 14 years off the table. (its getting quite old! lol)

Grim

14years!!
dang

hey Grim, what would be a great prop to start with on this new Cat?

Grimracer
03-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Our 4255 is gnarly on the boat.. I have ran 47 to 50 with that prop on the boat.. BUT.. its a cat.. They are hungry.. You are going to be chomping at the amps!

Still.. the 4255 DO WORK!

Grim

Jeff Wohlt
03-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Just blows me away that those ESCs are so tough!! A buddy was running the 60 amp version with a BJ cat and 2300 (7xl) motor and 4s with all the way up to 445and never had any problems...yet many say...oh you need a 180 amp or 240 amp ESC.

What the hell did you make, Mike :)

Brushless55
03-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Our 4255 is gnarly on the boat.. I have ran 47 to 50 with that prop on the boat.. BUT.. its a cat.. They are hungry.. You are going to be chomping at the amps!

Still.. the 4255 DO WORK!

Grim

Thank you :beerchug:

blackscoobydo
03-16-2011, 07:58 AM
hey folks,
Over here in Sydney, AUS, my young bloke (5.5yo) and I are starting to get back into boats (been around nitro stuff for many years now). I have a miss vegas nitro already, and i plan to get another boat.
Ive been reading this thread. For what ever reason, my preference has always been either tunnel, hydro or cat.
This new boat will be for both my son and I. He is a pretty good steerer already, drives my miss vegas pretty well....at 5.5yo!

This is what i have been thinking
proboat BJ55
venom KOS
aq. ul-1
aq. motley crew.

I like the idea of a BIG BOAT in a cat, but i also like the FE due to the easy high speed, i do really like what i see in the aq MC boat.

Peoples thoughts?...is AQ making a 26cc CAT soon ?

cheers
Peter

Brushless55
03-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Welcome to the forums here at OSE!
Out of the list you made, I would pick the new AQ Motley Crew Cat
Looks to be easy to set up and run with some good lipo packs..

JPriami
03-16-2011, 04:20 PM
I like this paint job better but its not the same hull
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jpriami/motley-speedtoy001.jpg

blackscoobydo
03-21-2011, 06:08 PM
thanks for your input....i am now considering another option, making my nitro .21xm leg into a FE on my old topspeed2, I have 4boats already

thanks again
Peter

Insaniac
04-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Jeff,
I tend to agree that the RTR boats need to be more "user friendly" out of the box. My son has put together several almost RTR aircraft and them seem to fly very well right "outa da box".
JMHO to improve our sport/hobby.
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=23553
:beerchug:

Chrisg81983
08-02-2011, 11:34 AM
I have motley crew i had to make minor adjustments but i am very happy with it. It is better than i expected to be honest with you. It is a great handling boat with some agressive speeds with grimm racer prop 42 x 55 (aqub9725).

dillier572
08-02-2011, 07:40 PM
i have won both my first two races with my mc and all i did was upgrade my prop i think grim has done a great job no problems and have had it for 3 months

Brushless55
08-02-2011, 10:53 PM
i have won both my first two races with my mc and all i did was upgrade my prop i think grim has done a great job no problems and have had it for 3 months

Congrats!

jharper
08-03-2011, 02:09 PM
I used to race sc trucks and there is not one out there you can buy and run without having some problem without spending money. I bought a traxxas slash and put about 500 in it to make it fast without breaking. It was 399 off the shelf and after about a year I saved and bought an sc8e and it was 600 and I only replace tires now. Gotta pay to play fast. That's the fun for me. Figuring out what I can get away with and making it better. As someone coming from dirt to liquid and having bought several rtr trucks and cars I think these guys do a great job with these Fe rtr. You guys switched me over. I say let's get drunk and eat chicken fingers and fix the worlds problems