PDA

View Full Version : My Solution for Auxillary Water Pick Up

dag-nabit
03-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Hey guys,

This is posted over on the Traxxas forum as well.

This is what I finally settled on to try as a second water pick up.

I will run separate lines for ESC and Motor.

These trim tab adjusters with water pick up are designed for the SV27, so I had to do a minor mod on the mounting holes.

The spacing for the holes for the Spartan is 20mm, and the spacing on the pick ups are 18mm. The Spartan also uses a 3mm mounting bolt, which is a bit larger than the bolts used on the SV27 (I'm guessing 2.5mm).

I offset drilled out the holes with an 11/64" bit (I don't have a 3mm bit) to get the 20mm spacing required. They bolted right on and the bolt heads cover the "slight elongation" of the holes.

Because the mounting bolts that come with the trim tab adjusters are too small, you will need 4 qty 3mm x 16mm stainless steel bolts to mount the tabs back on the Spartan, if you choose to try this option.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/daidavies/Spartan/5787634e.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/daidavies/Spartan/07db9a98.jpg

Kevin

PS. These trim tab adjusters are available from Kintec Racing, as well as others I'm sure.

Checkmateguy01
03-04-2011, 06:37 PM
I like that set-up! But, do they only come with the pick up tube on the left (port) side tab? I always run my boats turning to the right, after so many years of sanctioned racing i'm just used to that. I'm afraid with the pick up on the left side i'd lose flow in the turns. May not be a big deal but we all know the stock Spartan can use all the flow it can possibly get.

dag-nabit
03-04-2011, 07:03 PM
So far any I have seen advertised are all designed for port side installation. I suspect the theory is any drag will help counter the effect of prop walk.

The depth is adjustable, so you might be able to keep it in the water on a right hand turn, but then it might create more drag than you want on the straights.

This is the first time I will be trying a pick up like this, so it is an experiment for me as well.

Kevin