PDA

View Full Version : What performance modifications are available for the BJ26?

GeoRXT
01-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Hi guys, Im a new member to the site and to RC boating. My wifey gave me a BlackJack 26 Brushless for Xmas and I want the performance upgrades to start. I have done a search on google but found no place to buy any...I was wondering what kind of performance upgrades are available for it and where to buy them...

So far I plan on keeping the batteries I have which is a pair of Venom 5000nimh 8.4 volts 7 cell before I go lipo.

I read something about a rudder system and prop getting the boat to 50 mph...I gps'd mine at 28.4 which is a bit disappointing since I was told it should do 30-35mph with those batteries...

Anyways...any suggestion or any link will be greatly appreciated.

Avanti
01-03-2008, 09:50 AM
make sure you are not running the BEC on 14cells
also search the names obrien and RCprince they have blbj26 experience so read their posts. also if you click offshoreelectrics home you will find a store with everything you need.

Eodman
01-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Lots of info on upgrades here! And Steven runs a great shop very fair prices and shipping is quick! This is a great site & store so do us all a favor look here first!

domwilson
01-03-2008, 10:08 AM
You guys are too modest. Obrien and RCPrince do have the most experience with this boat. The two previous posters have a lot of knowledge as well. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want. All these guys are great for giving good and prompt answers. This is the best site for getting parts and info.

Eodman
01-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Well truth be told --- I don't have any exprience with the BJ .... I got tired of waiting and cancelled my order! I did build and am now rebuilding a Mean machine with twin outboards for sport!

H&MWill
01-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I dont own a BJ but I did have a set of Venom batteries in a SV and was trying to figure out why it was so slow and thats what it was. Im not saying thats definately it but I think it should do better than that out of the box. OSE has 7 cell IB 4200's if you dont want to go to Lipos yet. I would give it a try I think you will find it will make a huge difference. Will

GeoRXT
01-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the reply guys...

GeoRXT
01-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I see a ton of products but dont see many specific to the BJ26....?

GeoRXT
01-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Will this give any gain to my boat?

http://www.rcslot.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PRB3311&Store_Code=rcslots&search=program+module&offset=25&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

obrien
01-03-2008, 10:24 PM
You will need that programming card if you want to run lipos. Well it will make it much easier to program, since you won't have to try and program it with the radio.

I would certainly pick up some better batteries. I had a set of venoms that went boom inside my boat, even had a small fire. lol

I have 2 sets of trinity 4200 mah 6 cell battery packs that I run. Those have been great so far. I don't have any experience with them yet, but I hear alot of people saying that the IB cells are really good.

One other thing, when I spoke with proboat about running 14 cells, they did tell me that it wasn't necessary to diable the BEC. However, if you are going to run more than 12 cells I think I would. I know that with most other ESCs they tell you to disconnect the ESC.

GeoRXT
01-03-2008, 10:39 PM
make sure you are not running the BEC on 14cells
also search the names obrien and RCprince they have blbj26 experience so read their posts. also if you click offshoreelectrics home you will find a store with everything you need.
BEC on 14 cells? English please! Im sorry Im new to this and dont know what that is!

Thanks!

GeoRXT
01-03-2008, 10:41 PM
You will need that programming card if you want to run lipos. Well it will make it much easier to program, since you won't have to try and program it with the radio.

I would certainly pick up some better batteries. I had a set of venoms that went boom inside my boat, even had a small fire. lol

I have 2 sets of trinity 4200 mah 6 cell battery packs that I run. Those have been great so far. I don't have any experience with them yet, but I hear alot of people saying that the IB cells are really good.

One other thing, when I spoke with proboat about running 14 cells, they did tell me that it wasn't necessary to diable the BEC. However, if you are going to run more than 12 cells I think I would. I know that with most other ESCs they tell you to disconnect the ESC.
Wow, Im gonna need an rc boat dictionary!

So these batteries are crap? DAMN, they were $76 each!

domwilson
01-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Ok Obrien,

Huh, huh. Tell him about the prop...huh,huh tell him about the prop!

H&MWill
01-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Geo Im not saying yours are but I paid about the same from the LHS when I first started and they were junk. I may have just got bad ones I dont know. I do know they arent as good as The IB4200's on OSE.

Avanti
01-04-2008, 12:24 AM
BEC = battery eliminator curcuit
most say to disable it when using over 12cells nimhs and I believe 4s lipo
you can rune a separate battery pack for the servos or a UBEC = universal battery eliminator curcuit

hope this helps

GeoRXT
01-04-2008, 09:00 AM
BEC = battery eliminator curcuit
most say to disable it when using over 12cells nimhs and I believe 4s lipo
you can rune a separate battery pack for the servos or a UBEC = universal battery eliminator curcuit

hope this helps
Thank you Sir!

Mine cuts of at full throttle but only after like 5-8 minutes of hard runs....I guess qhen the batteries start loosing charge?

obrien
01-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Ok Obrien,

Huh, huh. Tell him about the prop...huh,huh tell him about the prop!

prop? what prop?

lol

I have already told him about that stuff in a pm.

Apples1
01-04-2008, 04:22 PM
yeah mine cuts out at full throttle after 5-8min as well, will the programing module help this?

GeoRXT
01-04-2008, 07:19 PM
yeah mine cuts out at full throttle after 5-8min as well, will the programing module help this?
I think its worth mentioning that this did not happen today. I got home and it was charged and ready, went to the backyard to launch it and it actually ran the longest it has ever ran....I was back there for about 15+ minutes...