PDA

View Full Version : Spektrum Surface RX in a boating application...

OffShore_RC
03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Has anyone used the Spektrum SR3300T receiver in their boat?

I have a DX3S transmitter and would like to take advantage of some of the telemetry features, but I have been told not to use surface receivers in a boating application.

I was wondering of anyone had any tips or comments on the above.

b.mcdaniel.2009
03-01-2011, 04:48 PM
I run a few Spektrum SR300's in a few boats i have with no issue's....

electric
03-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I have used that receiver with no issues. No different in range from sr300's as far as I can tell. Works fine.

JackBlack26
03-01-2011, 05:23 PM
The only marine receiver I own is the one that came with the Miss Geico. All my other boats run surface recievers with no problem. Just make sure you extend the antenna outside of the boat as far as possible

jimbo--jones
03-01-2011, 08:23 PM
i run one inside my hull, antenna and all. no problems at all

Darin Jordan
03-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Guys... he's talking about the SR3300T... it's NOT a marine RX... it's a car RX (S stands for Surface)...

Some people have no issues, others do. I ran the SR3100 RXs in several boats without a single issue with the DX3S, others have glitches and range problems.

As long as it's working for you, go for it. Just range test it first.

OffShore_RC
03-02-2011, 12:01 AM
I am just concerned if water got on the RX, that it may short circuit and ruin it.

I have been told to put the RX in a balloon and tie off the end to protect it from water. Is this the best way or are there any other way?

boogaloo_d
03-02-2011, 10:32 AM
I run spektrum in my boats. First I ran the surface rx's that came with the dx3s. Several times I lost radio contact with boat, and crashed into the bank before the fail safe kicked in and shut the motor off. This happened on my nitro boats. Then I went to the Marine rx's and have not had a problem since. That being said every time I had a problem I was standing on the edge of the water. I never had a problem if I was standing elevated above the water. Just my experience, hopeit helps you.