PDA

View Full Version : aquacraft hammer upgrade help please

dizzydee
03-01-2011, 11:03 AM
hi all, just joined so please be nice, im from the uk, and have just brought a rtr aquacraft hammer electric deep vee. took it for its first run today and was very pleased with it, but as usual i want more power, i have read a few threads on this site, but its all new to me at the mo, and its my first boat, i would like any pictures or diagrams that will help me with upgrading to brushless motor or even just a upgraded motor that is better than the stock one, plus batteries....im running standard 550 motor and a plasma 7.2v-1800mah-nimh................any help would be good...many thanks...darren

roadrashracing
03-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Higher mah battery would get you more run time, I would not go lipo with that boat, a motor upgrade would be the easiest, not sure what the speed control can handle. If your really want to get in to the hobby and get more speed, I would probley stick money into some thing else, if not stick a little faster motor and get some new battereis and have fun, I ran a 19 turn motor when I had my traxxas blast and it screamed for a little boat. This boat would make a great recovery boat if you upgrade in the future.

Chilli
03-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Welcome to the board Darren. We're only mean to each other in the winter when we cant run our boats. :laugh: The Hammer has a subsurface drive thats angled down and if you increase the power too much, she will hop like mad. Some have converted them to surface drive but in my opinion that is more work than the boat is worth putting into. Time to start saving for an upgrade.:smile:

dizzydee
03-02-2011, 06:49 AM
thanks for your replies guys, bit gutted as only just bought the boat a few days ago, looked them up on u tube and they all seem really fast after the brushless upgrade......so what make motor can i put in my hammer to increase the power? and what battery would you recomend for the upgrade? and any link to a site in the uk what sells them would be great....many thanks....

Make-a-Wake
03-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Here's some stuff:

This motor has the same shaft size as stock so should fit right in - http://www.nitrorcx.com/96m06-car-3650-2230.html

This ESC will work fine....................run it on 3s lipo - http://www.nitrorcx.com/07e-c-seaking-60a.html

This motor is an option as well but has a 5mm shaft - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6529

You need to fit cooling jackets on these motors.............the coil may work since these motors wont have to work real hard.

dizzydee
03-02-2011, 12:55 PM
hi all, well went to my local model shop today, where i got my hammer from, and was told it is cheaper to buy a new boat with brushless motors included, nice of him to tell me that after i have spent £150 on the rtr hammer electric stock one two day ago, than to upgrade my one to make it quicker......he told me to buy a 21 turn brushed motor and change it with the stock one, its called a clash 21. rpm=25.300 current=9a voltage 7,2v and also a 7.2 volt 3000mah nimh battery, he said it would fly in the water, very pleased with the info i handed over another £25 and went home and fitted both to my hammer..... went to the lake, tried it out, and is just the same.......:unsure: very gutted so now putting it on e bay as just cant be bothered......will save up and get fast one.......any suggestions would be helpful.....thanks for reading and info:confused1:

roadrashracing
03-02-2011, 08:49 PM
I think you just better off keeping it, what kind of speeds are you looking to get? Is there a track by your house? Take a trip there and see if any racers have any 19 turn race motors that they are looking to get rid of, if most people are running brushless they more then like have some that they would probley give away. Stick one of them in there and it will be a little bit better, you will need a decent motor, a running 19 turn will be fast than say a stock 12 turn. Get one of these you will be happy.http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/chameleon-2.html

If you are in the market for a brushless boat, check out the proboat shockwave 26 bl.

Make-a-Wake
03-02-2011, 09:41 PM
While your at it Dizzy.............you are obviously new and could try a bit of forum etiquette. I took 15 minutes of my day to try and help a total stranger..........you completely disregarded/ignored it with out one word of acknowledgment......................wont waste my time again. Good luck

dizzydee
03-03-2011, 10:04 AM
thanks road rash racer.....im am running a brushed motor though, as upgrading everything would work out quite expensive so im told, i have changed the stock 12 turn brushed motor to a 21 turn brushed motor, the model shop man said it would fly, but it is the same speed as the stock one.....i have a lake nearby, but it seems im the only one where i live to be into boat racing...

dizzydee
03-03-2011, 10:12 AM
oh and make a wave.... there is no need for :sarcasm1:, i live in the uk, and dont forget we have different times, give me a chance to reply PLEASE. yes i am new and it is hard for me to understand all that is being said and to take in, plus trying to sort the boat out! thank you for your help i have read it, but i am running a brushed motor, as as im told i might as well buy a complete new boat with brushless motors, than to ugrade mine due to the cost.....thats why im asking you guys for help. i cant seem to find any uk sites that do upgrades for the hammer in the uk...its very frustrating...:confused2:

Brushless01
03-04-2011, 01:57 AM
Dizzydee look on astec models its a great site !

dizzydee
03-04-2011, 04:07 AM
thanks brushless01...:thumbup1: