PDA

View Full Version : Hot flexcable & stuffing tube melting stuff.

JPriami
02-27-2011, 05:10 PM
This is a little weird. I grease my flex cables after every day of running. Most of the time its only one set of packs a day (one run then re grease that night). Sometimes I might try it in the morning before work then charge up and run after work. So no more than 2 runs a day on a grease job. And the runs are 6-8 mins each. mostly 6 now that im drawing more amps.

I had 2 runs on this greasing. And when I tore it down to look into modifying something I found the stuffing tube brass showed signs of being hot and discolored. And it melted some of the plastic off the stuffing tube holder. I dont see anything in the tube to cause this and it doesn't have any bind to it when i put the liner and cable in it and spin it.

what I have noticed is that no matter what amount of grease I put on the flex cable it all seems to get taken off the cable when running. I have a Prather cable grease I bought 2 things of it years ago and still have about 1/2 of one can left.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jpriami/ac8ee65f.jpg

egneg
02-27-2011, 05:25 PM
The only thing I can think of is that the stuffing tube is slightly flattened in that area due to the bend or ? Even though it seems to move freely there could be enough resistance that at high speeds it generates enough heat to cause the problems you are experiencing.

rchuntlsl
02-27-2011, 05:29 PM
If it was lightly pinched wouldn't the teflon just wear away at the pinch point? Did the teflon tube wear away completely at that point? The metal on metal could cause that.

JPriami
02-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Theres no flat spots in the tube. I just found a little (very little) bit of rubbery feeling debris inside the tube that would be between the tube and liner. But it dosent seem like that would be enough to do this.

JPriami
02-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Guess I'll clean it well and make sure nothing is in there. And see if it happens again. I'll clean the outside off too so it shows discoloration if it heats up.

rchuntlsl
02-27-2011, 05:39 PM
The little bits could put a little pressure on the teflon to get it hot. It wouldn't take much, that shaft is spinning FAST.

JPriami
02-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Must of been it then. Just glad i found it before it got worse.
Thanks for the help

dag-nabit
02-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Just a thought here.

Since Traxxas seems to have cheaped out on every other aspect of this boat, is it possible the teflon liner isn't teflon?

Maybe some offshore nauga-lon that looks and feels like the real thing, with few of the desired properties.

Kevin

JPriami
02-28-2011, 09:54 AM
I had a Teflon liner and 3/16 cable I bought from aeromarine a while back for a nitro project. I didn't use the set because it was a spare. I compared the two liners against each other. The traxxas one felt more bendable. But that maybe because it had got hot. The aeromarine one seemed to fit in the stuffing tube better as to it won't slip and turn as much when the cable is spinning. And it also seemed like it was easier for the cable to turn in it. Like it was slightly larger ID. Anyways i am going to use the aeromarine liner now.

GeoVW72
02-28-2011, 11:21 PM
That spot's right where the bend is, maybe your added strut angle is putting more pressure there.

You are accurate on the teflon though, the traxxas one is softer
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_nneVYSYZjrY/TWxh5QeU4kI/AAAAAAAAAJU/WB4X0DJkqUY/s288/IMG_20110228_134102.jpg
(traxxas left, octura right)
perhaps the durometer of the teflon has a factor :confused2: