PDA

View Full Version : Super Sport 45

ksm2001
02-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Just started my SS45 after having it boxed away for over a year.

The set up will be:
Neu 1527 1.5D
Speedmaster hardware
Peter Zicha motor mount
Virginia Craftsman turn fin

I'll be setting it up for 6s2p, still waiting for the new Castle Hydra Ice240

I'll be building some side rails that will be epoxied inside the side walls to bolt the motor mount to.

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to make the battery hold down so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm thinking towards a pair of 5000 mAh positioned up front.

Ken

Here are a few pictures of what I've done so far.

Make-a-Wake
02-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Nice Build!!!

TotalPackage
02-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Sure is. Man its gonna turn out clean.Didnt want to offset your drive line?No rubber iso's on the mount?

ksm2001
02-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks Guys for your encouraging comments.

Didnt want to offset your drive line?No rubber iso's on the mount?

The strut is centered as per instructions from Phil. The turn fin and the offset of the ride pads I think create the offset needed but being this is my first hydro I'm not an expert, here is a picture of the ride pads which better explain my thinking. Isolators aren't needed in brushless systems as long as your motor and drive line are balanced properly.

Ken

Fluid
02-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Some hydros do run well with a centered driveline, my FE-30 mis one. Doesn't need left rudder trim. Never use "rubber isos" when mounting an FE motor, those are gas/nitro parts which only promote misalignment of the motor and stuffing tube. If your motor vibrates enough to need isolation - bin it.

bedrock
02-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Great Build!!

Top Boat

Be carfull with the Castle Hydra 240's - I had 1 brand new one go BANG 2 days ago in my 8th Scale Budweiser - have 2 more brand new will not be running with my current setup
2215 1.5y 10S - - - 57mm prop

Good luck.....

Bedrock

ksm2001
03-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks Bedrock and Jay for your comments

I'm waiting for the new Ice Hydra 240, I was keeping an eye on the postings about the Ice 200 non hydra version and it looks like many people including Jay have had great results and reviews, so hope the Hydra version will be the same.

ksm2001
06-05-2011, 10:51 AM
An update to my build.

I made the motor mount rails and rail covers removable so the boat is fully accessible for adding flotation and in the case of a mishap can be easier to repair if something happens to a sponson.

My next part will be to cut an inch off the back canopy and epoxy it to the hull for easier taping. I'll also add hatch locks on the back and then prep the fiberglass filling in the holes, then it's off to the body shop for paint.

Ken

Punisher 67
06-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Looking real good my friend.........:thumbup1: , I guess I better get off my duff and get that coupler machined .

ksm2001
06-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks Peter for the comment, it will still be a while before its ready to run so no rush :hug1:.

So others know what Peter and I are talking about, the coupler in the picture has 2 sets of 2 set screws that hold it onto the motor shaft, when I use a thrust bearing on the Neu 1527 as in the photo only the one set closest to the bearing are contacting the motor shaft. So what I need is a coupler with 3 set screws at 120 degrees apart in the same place as the ones closest to the bearing.

Brushless55
06-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Sweet looking build bro!
I need to get mine finished, but I need me a motor mount.....

LuckyDuc
06-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Nice build. If I was going to build a Q Sport Hydro this would be the hull I would go with too. I run this hull in the nitro Sport 40 class and love it.

Are you building this for sport running or heat racing?

ksm2001
06-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks for your comments Guys.
Sean, I'm building it for sport running since we go out to the pond with the guys to rip around and everyone has something different to run. And I think Peters Sniper would swamp it:laugh:

I first saw this boat a few years ago on Raydee's You Tube video and loved the way it ran, so it's been one that I've always wanted to build and and run.

Ken

Gary
06-06-2011, 09:28 PM
I did the same thing. Saw Raydees boat and decided to build one. Mine loaded comes in around 12.5 lbs unfortunatly but has a consistent top speed of 87-89mph on 18.5 volts and a best top speed as of today of 73 mph on 14.8 batteries. Very stable hull when its dialed in and took me a year to get there but well worth it.

Boaterguy
06-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Nice! Looks great!

JMSCARD
06-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Mine has a 2215 instead of the 1527 ..... Still need to actually run it... lol.... theres a thought....

BTW very nice build you have going there no question... cant wait to see it in action, as we just know you will video it for us !

ksm2001
06-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks Boaterguy

Gary I've seen your thread and that SS is flying! I hope I can get mine dialed in to run good even though I don't expect speeds like yours since its more for oval running and a 1.5D wind. I think mine is around 10 lbs with the 5000 6S2P, but I think the weight of yours is a good thing to keep it down with those speeds.

Jason, I really like the paint job on yours, did you paint it? And man you have to run it, I want to see a video with the 2215 in their, should be insane also.

Ken

JMSCARD
06-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks Boaterguy

Gary I've seen your thread and that SS is flying! I hope I can get mine dialed in to run good even though I don't expect speeds like yours since its more for oval running and a 1.5D wind. I think mine is around 10 lbs with the 5000 6S2P, but I think the weight of yours is a good thing to keep it down with those speeds.

Jason, I really like the paint job on yours, did you paint it? And man you have to run it, I want to see a video with the 2215 in their, should be insane also.

Ken

haha... I know its gonna be run for sure... the paint is West Systems... and NO I didn't paint it... Sandy Allen did... "Cat-Boi" was his username... its pure utter perfection... in fact its so pretty thats why I hate the thought of running it... but I am gonna do it! In fact I just got the New 6s Packs for it yesterday... :)

LuckyDuc
06-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks for your comments Guys.
Sean, I'm building it for sport running since we go out to the pond with the guys to rip around and everyone has something different to run. And I think Peters Sniper would swamp it:laugh:

I first saw this boat a few years ago on Raydee's You Tube video and loved the way it ran, so it's been one that I've always wanted to build and and run.

Ken

It will make a great running sport boat. 10 lbs is just right for the weight. High 50's to low 60's will be a perfect speed for fun and duration. My nitro version is running right around 60 and it seems like a handful at that speed.

Punisher 67
06-09-2011, 03:43 AM
And I think Peters Sniper would swamp it:laugh:

Ken

I don't know Ken , that is going to be a very fast hull when you have it setup . I think the Punisher is due for a spanking......................:laugh:

Jason I also love your paint scheme

ksm2001
06-09-2011, 04:59 PM
I think the Punisher is due for a spanking......................:laugh:

Lol Peter, I might have to use a paddle from my rescue boat .

Jason, I'll be waiting for a video or post on your Run:popcorn2:.

Sean, I'm glad to hear about those speeds that's where I'd like to see it run on ovals.

Ken

ksm2001
06-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Just added some hatch locks. Tape will still be needed to seal it water tight but just did this for added security in case.

I used 2 brass thumb screw nuts and J/B welded a 6/32 brass screw in each one and 2 O rings to seal the holes on the hatch. The 90 degree carbon fiber pieces are cut from a hockey stick handle, then epoxied a piece of plywood to it that holds the blind nuts.

ksm2001
07-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Update on my build.
Finally have the paint finished, it took a while to have it painted but the guy did a awesome job. The color is inferno orange same as the 2011 Camaro, because of all the angles on the boat the pearls and metallic really come through nicely. Now I'll wait for a few days until the clear is cured then can mask and paint the windshield and get the graphics off to the print shop.

LarrysDrifter
07-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Beautiful boat! I have to get mine going. I'll be referencing this thread for your good ideas. Great job.

Punisher 67
07-16-2011, 02:06 AM
That is absolutely beautiful Ken , awesome job and beautiful weed free grass also Ken I am jealous........................:laugh:

ksm2001
07-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys for the comments. With all the rain we had in the past few weeks I thought the yard would be covered by water to run the boats on lol.

Gary
07-17-2011, 10:28 AM
The boat looks great !!!! Cant wait for it to see the water.your going to love it !!!! I used to take my time making them look great aswell but after a few major crashes its just was not worth it any more. I just crashed it again at a best gps speed of 95mph and the rear transom cracked and broke open real good and took on water. It did land upside right so I got it back to shore real quick wich was good LOL. Thats the first time I saw the transom crack.......must have caught it just right.

ksm2001
07-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Gary, thanks for the comment, 95mph is some crazy speeds and alot of force when things go wrong, did you get a video of it?

When I saw the paint on mine I felt like Jason (JMSCARD) and the comment that its so nice I hate the thought of running it. I'll run mine conservative but would like to see high 50's to 60 mph, but then again once I get used to it I will probably want to push it a bit more each time like most of us here.

Gary
07-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Yea the boat comes in at 12lb 13oz so when she tumbles ...........she tumbles !!! I tell you what she gets some insane flight when lifting clean off the water LOL. Keep yours at 60-65 and its a dream to drive....you will love it !!! No there is no video. I have to get to the lake really, really early to beat the fisherman or other boaters because I need the whole lake and dead flat water so 5:30 am is not unusual which really sucks. No one getting up that early to video LOL. anyway I can run two sets of batteries through her. 18.5 volt 65-130c Thunder power, and have almost the same gps reading, 93-95 so its pretty consistent. I would love to do a SAW event soon when I get really consistent at the return run through my own wake.....Not to good at that yet.

Shooter
07-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Just added some hatch locks. Tape will still be needed to seal it water tight but just did this for added security in case.

I used 2 brass thumb screw nuts and J/B welded a 6/32 brass screw in each one and 2 O rings to seal the holes on the hatch. The 90 degree carbon fiber pieces are cut from a hockey stick handle, then epoxied a piece of plywood to it that holds the blind nuts.

Great work on the hatch locks!

ksm2001
07-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Thanks Shooter, I wanted something that could be epoxied to the side but wanted somthing light and strong. BTW I really like your PT stealth, nice work.

ksm2001
07-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Finally had time to finish designing the graphics and get them off to the printer and put them on.

I was going to paint the windshield but saw the thread on Custom Windshields by Monojeff and thought this would be easier than painting so decided to design one. The graphics are printed on 3M wrap vinyl and then laminated with a 3M clear to protect and give it the gloss look.

Now just have to getup the nerve to run it.

Brushless55
07-28-2011, 01:00 AM
Wow, I really like it!
great job man..

ksm2001
07-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks Todd and everyone for the kind words from all the posts here.

If anyone is building this hull and would like the graphics file for the windshield or the outline of the sponson's to make your work easier I would be more than happy to email them to you. The files are in Corel Draw format but can be changed for your software if you let me know.

I used a few ideas in this build from others posts and want to thank those people for making it easier for me. Thanks Peter (Punisher) For the excellent job on making the motor mount, Monojeff for the windshield graphics idea, , and for egneg for the great idea of the parallel bullet connectors. :smile::smile:

Ken

Gary
07-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Put it in the water !!!!!Put it in the water !!!!!!!

ksm2001
07-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Put it in the water !!!!!Put it in the water !!!!!!!

LMAO:lol:, just saw your reply in my email first. I'll run it Gary and will get some video but it might not be until the middle of August.

ksm2001
08-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Gary I finally put it in the water! :lol:

Well I finally had a chance to take her out for a quick first run yesterday, dang I was exited. The pond by our house is small so I couldn't run it full throttle but it was nice to see everything stayed cool and the driveline runs smooth. Here is the link (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?28510-Phil-Thomas-Super-Sport-45-First-Run&p=352329#post352329) to the video thread for its first run. Like I mentioned in the video post I'm not sure why it hops in the corners, might be the slow speed but will try it next time at the big pond where I can get some WOT runs and faster turns before adjusting.

Punisher 67
08-30-2011, 02:11 AM
Very nice first run Ken , I'll bet your heart was pounding

Chenige
08-30-2011, 09:43 AM
You mentioned up above that you were going to cut the cowl to make it easier to tape. Did you do this? I cannot tell.

ksm2001
08-30-2011, 11:31 AM
You mentioned up above that you were going to cut the cowl to make it easier to tape. Did you do this? I cannot tell.

Post #22 shows the back of the hatch that is cut and epoxied to the hull, I added the hatch locks to the piece. The front has enough surface to tape easily so no modifying is needed

Chenige
08-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Does your original post show the boat in original form or with the cowl mods?

ksm2001
08-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Does your original post show the boat in original form or with the cowl mods?

Post #1 shows what the back of the hull looked like (pictures 1 & 2) when I got it from Phil before I did the mod.

ksm2001
08-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Very nice first run Ken , I'll bet your heart was pounding

Thanks Peter. Ya you could say it was beating a bit faster than usual, kinda like yours when you run your Sniper lol. I feel better now that the first run is done and everything is working as its supposed to. Now its a matter of some tuning to get it where it runs it's best.