PDA

View Full Version : any advise on a esc for a cc1520?

sonic77
02-24-2011, 03:43 AM
Well I have made some changes in my system after my esc fried and its starting to come together I put a Castle neu 1520 motor and waterjacket in it fits great no issues and installed a grim racer 42x55 prop after I balanced and sharpened it.
now Im looking at esc's for it will a Turningy/sea king 180 work and have no problems? Im running 2 3s Turnigy nano tech 5000 mah 45c 90c burst batteries,
or should I just bite the bullet and go with the castle ice hydra 240? I have had great service with castle and they always have been there to answer my questions so thats what I'm kinda leaning towards its just hat esc is so expensive comparared to my other castle ice 75 i use in my Helicopter. I do understand castle puts alot of time into these esc and is always on top of firmware updates.
I don't know hopefully I can get a good sale on ebay when I sell my stock esc and motor when it returns from traxxas
anyways any input will be appreciated thanks
Justin
:sinking-guy:

dag-nabit
02-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi Justin,

I have no experience with the Castle ESC, but know from spending time here on the forums that they are considered top shelf with respect to quality.

Jpirami has a Turnigy/Seaking 180 amp ESC installed in his Spartan and, based on his posts here on the forum, it has been working well for him. He is running a larger than stock motor, and larger props with good success. I will let him provide details, or browse through the threads here to follow his experiences.

Just a heads up, the 42mmx55mm prop you have put on is less pitch than the stock prop at 42mmx59mm, so you may find your boat runs a bit slower on the new prop.

Kevin

PS, I have chosen the Turnigy 180amp for my Spartans. Based on all the reported issues with the stock ESC, I will be changing mine out as soon as my Spartans arrive. I made this choice based on testimonials here on OSE forum that the Turnigy 180 were a pretty good ESC, and the price is reasonable.

kjohnsiii
02-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Yes, I agree the t 180 is a good esc, just remember you will most likely have to set the cut off at 2.8 because they like to hit the cut off prematurely when set on a higher setting.

Diesel6401
02-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Those seaking 180s are AWESOME esc's, but me personally I never run esc's to their max voltage. I know their are guys here who have done it with success running a 180 on 6s, but their are more people who have had failures then those who have had success on 6s. I have ran my 180 on 5s but never 6s and don't plan on trying either. If you do decide to run it on 6s disconnect the bec and run a rx pack. I would grab a HV esc though. That's just me.... If you like CC esc's then you can wait until the Ice 240 comes out, looks promising or you can run like a etti 150 HV or a swordfish 240 hv. JMO...

JPriami
02-24-2011, 01:07 PM
I like the T-180. It's a great marine esc for the price and has some settings that can be selected. I think the Mosfets are made in the USA.

I like castle creations products as well. But they do cost more. I've only had castle esc's in my EDF jets so I can only speak from my experience from the aircraft use. It's been good.

Honestly I wouldnt dump more than the cost of the Spartan into making it faster. Being a abs hull has its disadvantages. I've had 2 bad water crashes now making this boat go faster. And both have resulted in repairing cracked/split plastic on both the canopy and the hull. Last crash the hull split off the top of the transom. It's all repairable & is repaired now. But worst case senerio you have a bad crash and the top part of the hull splits off. Out comes the flotation and down to davey jones locker with your gear that cost more than the boat. Just food for thought before one spends money on all the super high dollar equipment for this one.

sonic77
02-24-2011, 03:23 PM
so JPriami you run your Turnigy 180 on 6 s right? do you have the programing card? im not too familiar with the timing adjustment have you messed with the settings much?
Justin

JPriami
02-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Yeah I have the programming card. And I've done it manually listening to the beeps & tones. I'm also a ham radio operator so it's not a far stretch from listening to code. I am running it on 6S with no problems. And it's staying cool.
You can select forward only, forward and reverse, cell count auto or enter it, lvc cut off, and degrees of timing. I'm running 15* of timing on my leopard 4082 1500kv. I'm not familiar with the cc1520 to give any advise on what the timing should be on it. I'm sure others here know what it is.

Btw turnigy 180 , seaking 180 & I think hobbywing 180. Are all the same esc's just different stickers and maybe firmware revisions but not 100% sure about that last part.

oscarel
02-24-2011, 06:59 PM
I've used the Turnigy with the 1520 and 1717 many times before on 6s with no issues, but used an external BEC. I used 15* timing as well. Also the Swordfish 240HV is a good esc and they have a 1yr warranty.

dag-nabit
02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Just curious, what is the issue with using the bec with 6s setup on the 180?

Kevin

sonic77
02-24-2011, 10:25 PM
thanks for all the fast replies I appreciate all the input!

oscarel
02-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Just curious, what is the issue with using the bec with 6s setup on the 180?

Kevin

Some have had issues with it burning up, I think it was on the earlier versions of it. Just to be on the safe side I don't use it. Also, the first one I had came with the rubber gasket misaligned and water got into it and it quit working. I sent it back to Hobbyking and about 2 months later I had a new one under warranty. It's now embedded in casting epoxy on the bottom and conformal coated on the top where the fets are.

tomjr
03-10-2011, 01:42 AM
Hi, I will be using the t-180esc with lepoard 4082 motor with 1450kv.
I got the 1450kv due to 1500kv out of stock.
Will there be any big effect on speed ?
I understand from bro JPriami that 1450kv might run cooler....
How about the prop size ?
I understand that i will have to go bigger due to lower kv.
please advice.
Thanks

Brushless55
03-10-2011, 08:11 PM
please advice.
Thanks

those two motors being they are so close and almost the same kv
using the same prop, they will only be about 1-2mph difference :smile:

Diesel6401
03-10-2011, 08:30 PM
please advice.
Thanks

The 1500kv verison is wye wind the 1450kv is a d wind. Typically wye winds are more efficient (so i have read) and have less torque then wye wind motors (once again based only on what i have read). With the 1450 your timing is going to be a lot lower on your t-180 something around 3.75 (or so) and on the 1500 10-15 would be good on the timing. Prop selection is going to be the key. on the 1500kv due to it being a wye wind and having a little more torque a bigger prop may not show a large spike/draw in the amps but the 1450 even though slightly lower kv going to big on the prop may result in amps spiking due the wind.

I could very easily be completly wrong! I am not the smartest at these things...

Brushless55
03-10-2011, 08:35 PM
I did not know they were diffent winds
D vs Y :popcorn2:

Diesel6401
03-10-2011, 08:49 PM
I did not know they were diffent winds
D vs Y :popcorn2:

I was digging into those 4082's I was thinking about getting the 1500kv and then I started wondering why their was 2 similar kv's and then I found the different winding. I bought a 1717 instead :laugh: for the project but for the information i rattled off on d vs y here's where I got it from http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=1082

tomjr
03-10-2011, 09:39 PM
The 1500kv verison is wye wind the 1450kv is a d wind. Typically wye winds are more efficient (so i have read) and have less torque then wye wind motors (once again based only on what i have read). With the 1450 your timing is going to be a lot lower on your t-180 something around 3.75 (or so) and on the 1500 10-15 would be good on the timing. Prop selection is going to be the key. on the 1500kv due to it being a wye wind and having a little more torque a bigger prop may not show a large spike/draw in the amps but the 1450 even though slightly lower kv going to big on the prop may result in amps spiking due the wind.

I could very easily be completly wrong! I am not the smartest at these things...

Hi thanks for the reply,
But in ose web site they never mention anything about wye wind and d wind.
I am about to place the order till i read this.
can anybody clarify about this...

Diesel6401
03-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Hi thanks for the reply,
But in ose web site they never mention anything about wye wind and d wind.
I am about to place the order till i read this.
can anybody clarify about this...

No the ose information does not mention it, I got it directly from Leopard Hobbies spec sheet, I am confident the information is correct after all it came from Leopard. If you also go to himodel they have that motor also and it is listed as a d wind. I have the sheet printed out. Let me see if I can scan it to myself and post it. Give me a few minutes.

*In your application it shouldn't make a HUGE deal, biggest difference will be timing.

Diesel6401
03-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Ok I went to Leopard and they don't have the sheet with all the motors. They are only showing 2 different verisons at this time. Luckly I printed out the sheet before the newest update so here is the sheet for the 4082 motors. The 1450 is the last one.

dag-nabit
03-10-2011, 11:09 PM

:iagree:

At least based on my interpretation of what I have read as well. Have yet to put it to practice.

dag-nabit
03-10-2011, 11:11 PM
No the ose information does not mention it, I got it directly from Leopard Hobbies spec sheet, I am confident the information is correct after all it came from Leopard. If you also go to himodel they have that motor also and it is listed as a d wind. I have the sheet printed out. Let me see if I can scan it to myself and post it. Give me a few minutes.

*In your application it shouldn't make a HUGE deal, biggest difference will be timing.

Again
:iagree:

Kevin

tomjr
03-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Ok I went to Leopard and they don't have the sheet with all the motors. They are only showing 2 different verisons at this time. Luckly I printed out the sheet before the newest update so here is the sheet for the 4082 motors. The 1450 is the last one.

Thanks for the info...Been really a great help.
End up i ordered the lepoard 4082 1500kv from himodel.com
Thanks again for the info.
Now only left the prop selection.
Cant find any balanced and sharpen props.....ose all no stock
Guess have to get the m445 not sharpen and not balanced.