PDA

View Full Version : NoStep 1 Paint

SJFE
12-29-2007, 09:10 PM
This has been a long time coming for me. I have put off learning how to paint for far to long. Today I just jumped in. I have no garage so I had to spray out side. Then I brought the hull in and placed it under a box in witch I taped to the floor. This kept the fumes down enough to deal with. I can only pull this off it the Mrs is sleeping or @ work. It would never fly other wise. I made a bunch of mistakes. I had the plastic blow up and smuge the base coat. Then trying to fix it the paint ran. What I need to work on the most is alowing the proper drying time. I have some masking marks in the yellow because I didnt let it cure before starting the blue. I also painted the wind shield free hand with a brush & an not to happy with it. Nothing I can do really because I only had an afternoon to pull this off. I cut some pin striping out of my vynle stock. it hed some of the over spray pretty good. I am going to havea few decale made up for it when I decide what I want. Over all I don't hate it but I am not very pleased. The end of ths summer will bring a bigger hous and hopfuly a shop.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e343/STOAK/DSC01596.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e343/STOAK/DSC01594.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e343/STOAK/DSC01593.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e343/STOAK/DSC01592.jpg

Mich. Maniac
12-29-2007, 09:17 PM
That is an awesome design man. As far as the paint and edging just say what I do... no one will see it doin 50! Seriously though you did a great job getting everything centered and straight. Reminds be of a BlueAngels jet for some reason.

ozboater
12-29-2007, 09:20 PM
looks pretty nice for a first effort... def'n better than mine... painting is hard... i guess it s like most things - prep... i used that blue painters tape when i did a windshield.... black spray from a rattle can and the stuff wept.... next time i think i ll try paint on mask... i might get adventerous one day and pull out the mrs s airbrush.... that ll be interesting...

SJFE
12-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks Mike. Yes it does look like an FA/18 a little. I didn't plan on it but I do have jet fuel in my blod...lol. I just winged that layout like I do most stuff. The Paint on the Vagas will come out better I hope.

SJFE
12-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks OZ I forgot all about the paint on mask...Ima look into that :wink:

Diegoboy
12-29-2007, 10:06 PM
I love the colors.
go chargers!

SJFE
12-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Chargers, Navy....lol Stuff was on sale. Hahahah

Eyekandyboats
12-29-2007, 11:23 PM
looks good

SJFE
12-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks man. Maybe some day I will be brave enough to spray the jolly....lol

Rex R
12-30-2007, 07:34 PM
I've been known to light a candle after painting to reduce the smell of fresh paint.

robby76
12-31-2007, 12:30 AM
excellent job. pat yourself on the back my friend and welcome to the painting world. remember to pay attention to the ambient temp or the paint will run. lay on the paint lightly. don't forget the clear-coat.

you can make you a portable paint booth with pvc and cheap plastic drop cloths or a couple of refridgerator boxes duct taped together with a small fan at bottom to suck out the fumes/overspray.

Now onto your jolly cat.....remember that link i emailed you? you can do it

i also use kitchen cabinet adhesive paper. stick on, draw design, carefully cut out, & paint.

SJFE
01-01-2008, 08:50 PM
I got it all back together today. I forgot at the last minute the esc was opto. Don't know how I missed that with it being in big red letters plastered on the top of the unit. I grabed a Hex Ubec out of the box and wired it in. All I need now is a coupler....Oh and some test runs :D.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e343/STOAK/DSC01622.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e343/STOAK/DSC01623.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e343/STOAK/DSC01624.jpg

Mich. Maniac
01-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I forgot at the last minute the esc was opto. Don't know how I missed that with it being in big red letters plastered on the top of the unit. I grabed a Hex Ubec out of the box and wired it in.

Why? What is the max voltage with BEC on these esc's. O.S.E. does not state in description but its probly in manual eh? What voltage are you running through this one then?

SJFE
01-01-2008, 09:07 PM
It didn't have BEC. It had nothing untill I pluged a rx pack in. After I suplyed power it worked. So it's OPTO. I'll read the directions @ some point but I'm not really concerned.

wickedgmc
01-01-2008, 09:14 PM
looking good, when is this one going up for sale :tongue_smilie:

SJFE
01-01-2008, 09:16 PM
First time I see somthing I like better:D

Eyekandyboats
01-01-2008, 09:48 PM
now you got your self a real race both ( with the exception of the jolly)
looks good

SJFE
01-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Thank you Sir...can't wait ta getter wet...er..um..yeah you know what I ment.....lol

Eyekandyboats
01-01-2008, 10:10 PM
BTW
If you want to run fast and loose. . . if you have POWER then your pack needs to be about half way under the front of the canopy
WAY ahead of where you have it. with speed running a HUGE wheel it will just kite
I ran a 637 prop and didn't need to use tabs until i went lipo. My 4200 nimh pack when used was half way past the fron of the canopy. . .

SJFE
01-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks man. That's good news cause I was worried about the weight being to far forward . I bought 2s-1p 5k packs for this boat. running a single like I plan is going to be light. I guess I may need a longer tray.

robby76
01-06-2008, 12:40 AM
i've had this paint gun for a while now. it's awesome. bought it a while back for $10.00. i saw it again today on sale at Harbor Freight for $9.99. it is a professional mini detail spray gun model #92126.
just thought i'd share a piece of info on a great tool addition if you already have an air compressor. the paint cup holds 4 ounces of oil base or water base paint.

http://www.harborfreight.com/
you can go to the site and enter the 92126 then download the manual. it offers some pretty good painting tips.

SJFE
01-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Rob I don't have a compressor but I do have a 150lb holding tank. Do you think that would store enough for a paint job?

Mich. Maniac
01-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Hey sorry to butt in here. I see they have the FINSHLINE gun by DeVilbiss which is an awesome gun. I have one that I currently use for od jobs. it is HVLP and even that gun needs a steady 45psi. and remember the MOST important thing when using a gun is VOLUME not pressure. A non hvlp gun should have a steady 60-70psi in my opinion. With that being said, SJFE I wouldnt try using a storage tank. You wouldnt have enough to spray but for about 5 seconds. One more thing though. a lesser expensive gun does NoT mean its not a good quality gun. Make sure your products are mixed correctly and you use the right size needle and you should see good results.

lonewolf
01-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Remember to clean clean clean. Anything left behind will harden after you have put it away.

txboatpilot
01-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Remember to clean clean clean. Anything left behind will harden after you have put it away.

:iagree: 100% CLEAN!!!! A good air source with 8+ Gal tank and the right needles!! You should see some good results!

lonewolf
01-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Note make sure aircompressor supplies more air than the tool takes, or the tank preasure will drop to lower than desired levels

robby76
01-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Hey sorry to butt in here. I see they have the FINSHLINE gun by DeVilbiss which is an awesome gun. I have one that I currently use for od jobs. it is HVLP and even that gun needs a steady 45psi. and remember the MOST important thing when using a gun is VOLUME not pressure. A non hvlp gun should have a steady 60-70psi in my opinion. With that being said, SJFE I wouldnt try using a storage tank. You wouldnt have enough to spray but for about 5 seconds. One more thing though. a lesser expensive gun does NoT mean its not a good quality gun. Make sure your products are mixed correctly and you use the right size needle and you should see good results.

all these tips everyone is chimming in will help everyone. their airbrushes are great also.

i see harbor freight has the 8 gal 3 HP air compressor #40400/95386 on sale for $89. that's what i use.

lonewolf
01-06-2008, 02:10 PM
I can run my airbrush all day long with my lil comp (60$) and a 20lb tank with reg and filter. but it wont handle the detail guns, just cant supply enough.