PDA

View Full Version : OM26 build

ozboater
12-28-2007, 11:15 PM
i m planning on building an om26 in the next couple of months and since it ll be my first build i d like some suggestions and help... looking at this photo:

http://www.bbyracing.com/images/OM26big.jpg

can anyone tell me what kind of hardware this is ?? i m pretty keen on running dual rudders since i m assuming it ll make the boat turn L and R equally as well... is this the common reason for choosing dual rudders ?? i won t be racing the boat (not competitively anyhow :) ) so i figure it b be nice to have the option of ripping L turns... any disadvantages to the dual rudder system ?? if the dual rudder thing doesn t pan out then the speedmaster stuff looks nice, plus the OSE trim tabs of course... i run them on my SV and they are awesome...

i plan on using an ammo motor and possibly a stock SV ESC... maybe an hydra 120 if i can swing it... the boat will run 12 cells until i splurge on lipos...

can someone help out a novice boat builder... any help or advice would be great

cheers

SJFE
12-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Thay looks like the OEM BBY hardware. Randy makes it his self I think. It's a nice boat. I personaly don't like joining ABS hulls and that hull comes unjoined unless you buy the upgraded version. They are very good running hulls.

ozboater
12-28-2007, 11:31 PM
thanks sjfe... my friend runs an om21 and it does great... particularly in the rough water here in this man made lake i live by... lots of traffic with pontoon party boats and wake boarders etc... pretty choppy water... my swimV (SV) is fun but the OM handles the rough stuff real well...

do you have any experience with dual rudder systems sj ?? is the 'upgraded version' the carbon one ?? if so i d love one but it s a bit more than i wanna spend...

SJFE
12-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Funny this subject came up. I have wanted to run a duel rudder system for quite some time. Havent had a chance to yet. I may do it on the next boat.

kck741
12-29-2007, 10:09 AM
I just got finished building the om 26,very easy.All of BBYs Kits come with a building guide on CD.

Kris

ozboater
12-29-2007, 03:03 PM
I just got finished building the om 26,very easy.All of BBYs Kits come with a building guide on CD.

Kris

cool... thanks kris...

does anyone have any info on the dual rudder system ?? anyone ran one on any other boats ??

ozboater
12-29-2007, 09:15 PM
no one has used a twin rudder system ?? c mon fellas i m desperate for the good word...

tylerm
12-30-2007, 02:53 AM
My OM26 has a single offset knife-blade rudder and i haven't put a left turn fin on yet and it still turns left pretty good.
The key to getting this hull to go real well is to having the prop at least 3inches off the transom and having the leading edge of the rudder preferably at the back of the prop hub.

Tyler.

ozboater
12-31-2007, 01:29 AM
good info tyler... thanks... how do you power your boat ??

this is some nice looking stuff... anyone on the board have any experience with this set up ??
http://www.drcwebservices.com/ffe/images/dualoffshorehardware.jpg

tylerm
12-31-2007, 03:38 PM
good info tyler... thanks... how do you power your boat ??

I power my boat currently for LSO with a cheapo johnson 700 that i picked up from my LHS and 12-16 IB3600 cells. I also have a flood chamber installed(you can see it in my avatar) which was quite simple to do.

Maybe Graham Dogget will jump in here and give some advice, as he has the bby challenger(oval master bottom, open cockpit deck) and runs a SS1 and similar cells to me, but he has run his more and reinforced it with carbon fibre.

I would like to try the hull with N-2 power and money allowing, i will give it a shot.

Tyler.

steveo
12-31-2007, 03:52 PM
you dont want to make the boat to heavy in the rear the boat sits low in the water, get your self an inline rudder setup thats what i have on mine, also lay some stringer and fiber glass in the boat to help stiffen it up for the sv27 and lipos, you may want to put the motor more foward than randy recommends for that power

steveo
12-31-2007, 03:56 PM
and heres a pic of my 32" mono dual rudder from fuller

ozboater
12-31-2007, 04:08 PM
nice... thats again tyler... good info steveo... cheers... can you recommend an inline rudder, is the fullers 'Offshore Catamaran Hardware' thats just over 1/3 of the way down this link page the kinda thing you d suggest ??

http://www.drcwebservices.com/ffe/hardware.htm

nice looking dual rudder system steveo... so that kinda set up may be a little too heavy for an om26 eh... will an inline rudder turn both directions equally as well... how about R turns VS my only point of reference - my SV27

sorry for all the questions... i appreciate ya help

happy new year people

steveo
12-31-2007, 04:25 PM
inline rudder sits right behind the prop so it can turn both directions, i had a pic of my om26 i'll have to find it and post it, i bought a sv27 motor but have not gotten a speed control for it yet it should be faster than an sv27 no doubt

and that hardware from fuller maybe to long IMO

RandyatBBY
01-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Sorry I have not been hear sooner. I tested several rudder setups on the OM26 I did not like the inline on the OM26. single for oval and dual is best for left and right turning.
Randy