PDA

View Full Version : These Guys also have may answers...

LiPo Power
02-21-2011, 12:27 AM
They have few simple answers to few simple questions.. :thumbup1:
I like their videos, and it's all in HD
What do you think?
http://www.flitetest.com/

maxmekker
02-21-2011, 02:33 AM
That's a pritty cool site, thanks for sharing.

Brushless55
02-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Great camera work and editing!
I'de like to know what cameras they are using :spy:

domp444
02-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Great camera work and editing!
I'de like to know what cameras they are using :spy:

Most likely a Canon 5D or 7D. Shallow depth of field and the digital look suggest so.

PDR447
02-22-2011, 01:30 AM
yeah it's a 5/7D. you can see it in some of the shots.

I found the camera work annoying actually. excessively shallow focus is distracting and not really "appropriate" for the subject matter. but, I work in film so I'm jaded.

domp444
02-22-2011, 01:54 AM
Haha very true. It does get annoying after a while. Not only in their video but everywhere you look now there's shallow DOF and "great film." People just picking up a camera and calling themselves filmmakers. I study filmmaking, at the School of Visual Arts in NYC :thumbup:

Sorry for the thread hijack! But you did say what camera are they using ;)

LiPo Power
02-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Come on guys, regardless, they are doing fine job explaining simple staff people sometimes are asking you to explain and it makes sense....

sailr
02-22-2011, 09:07 AM
These guys do a great job. I admire their production values and content. Kudos!

domp444
02-22-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm not saying they're not doing a good job. I enjoyed their videos they were informative and fun to watch. I don't have a problem with them or anything against them.

Brushless55
02-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Come on guys, regardless, they are doing fine job explaining simple staff people sometimes are asking you to explain and it makes sense....

I fully agree!
I've seen many who think they know how to shoot video/film or call themselves film makers just because they went to school or shot something once
but untill you actually work in the industry like I have you will soon learn a few things out in the field
These guys look to have put together a great product, and the camera work adds texture and a little drama to the piece
this is the best by far of any video review I've seen to date :Peace_Sign:

domp444
02-22-2011, 11:18 AM
They turned the review into a short film, haha. The camera work is great and I love the depth of field these cameras allow people to shoot HD in at very low prices. I was going to get one of them, but I have now decided to wait for the RED Epic and shoot with what I have until then.
I think their review was pretty good, what I was saying was people using these cost-efficient cameras to call themselves filmmakers annoys me. I know I only study film and I haven't worked in the industry, but I've shot a couple of shorts and have some great teachers to learn from at SVA.

Brushless55
02-22-2011, 12:14 PM
it is cool that we have cameras like this to shoot with very low cost
its a little much to me though the constant focus back and fourth, but I think it adds to the video that others may like more than I do
this is the rig they were shooting the show House with
I would like to try out a rig like this but I need something with better audio input
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/filmmaker2009/House_rig_white.jpg

domp444
02-22-2011, 12:33 PM
I agree, they're great cameras. That rig looks good but I would prefer Zacuto, they make some great stuff.
To record audio you'd have to get a separate audio recorder. A popular one is the Zoom H4N. It has 2 xlr inputs and an on board mic. Then you use a program called Plural Eyes, which basically syncs the audio you captured on the 5d to the audio captured on the H4N. It's really easy and definitely much better than recording audio to the 5D.

Brushless55
02-22-2011, 12:39 PM
I agree, they're great cameras. That rig looks good but I would prefer Zacuto, they make some great stuff.
To record audio you'd have to get a separate audio recorder. A popular one is the Zoom H4N. It has 2 xlr inputs and an on board mic. Then you use a program called Plural Eyes, which basically syncs the audio you captured on the 5d to the audio captured on the H4N. It's really easy and definitely much better than recording audio to the 5D.

good to know about the audio!
send a link if you have one

domp444
02-22-2011, 12:44 PM
This is the H4N: B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/600761-REG/Zoom_H4N_H4n_Handy_Mobile_4_Track.html)

No problem. Are you thinking of getting this setup?

domp444
02-22-2011, 12:45 PM
And this is PluralEyes: PluralEyes (http://www.singularsoftware.com/pluraleyes.html)

Brushless55
02-22-2011, 12:53 PM
cool stuff
I would love to get some new stuff
I think it would be fun to do some sweet R/C race videos
I have a T-Rex600 I want to use for some great shots :beerchug:

domp444
02-22-2011, 01:03 PM
That would be sweet! Lemme know if you decide to get it :thumbup1:

I'll be glad to help if you have any questions.

PDR447
02-23-2011, 01:04 AM
it is cool that we have cameras like this to shoot with very low cost
its a little much to me though the constant focus back and fourth, but I think it adds to the video that others may like more than I do
this is the rig they were shooting the show House with
I would like to try out a rig like this but I need something with better audio input
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/filmmaker2009/House_rig_white.jpg

sorry but I have a VERY hard time believing that they shot house on THAT rig. that rig may be styled after what they used but I'm pretty confident they did not use any red rock stuff. also, you are aware that only the season finale was shot on the 5d, right? for a long time it the series was shot on film and may still be, although I'm not sure. they may have switched to a proHD camera like the F35 or genesis.

*sorry for the OT, film "snob" here and I don't care for the DSLR "revolution" although I'm getting paid to work with one tomorrow :beerchug:

domp444
02-23-2011, 01:15 AM
sorry but I have a VERY hard time believing that they shot house on THAT rig. that rig may be styled after what they used but I'm pretty confident they did not use any red rock stuff. also, you are aware that only the season finale was shot on the 5d, right? for a long time it the series was shot on film and may still be, although I'm not sure. they may have switched to a proHD camera like the F35 or genesis.

*sorry for the OT, film "snob" here and I don't care for the DSLR "revolution" although I'm getting paid to work with one tomorrow :beerchug:

I didn't wanna be a snob, but yeah they most definitely did not use that rig. Also, they're not just shooting on a 5D... it ends up being like a 25k+ rig when they're done setting it up.

Hey, if you're getting paid, go for it :biggrin: But for personal use I'm sticking to my EX1 with a Letus 35mm adapter. I was gonna switch to the HDSLR stuff when it came out, but I soon changed my mind. There's just so much more you can do with a pro camera than a dslr.

I can go on and on about this stuff, I love it. How about that Epic?! :rockon2:

LiPo Power
02-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Yap, just got the respond from them:

We use the Canon 5D with the Red Rock Micro handheld rig.

Brushless55
02-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Yap, just got the respond from them:

We use the Canon 5D with the Red Rock Micro handheld rig.

yeah its a simple killer rig
the picture I posted, I'm not sure where it originally came from but a friend of mine from the East Coast sent it to me to show a simple setup I could use for future projects
I think he said it was the House rig?:confused2:
but yeah, the season finale of House was shot (filmed) entirely with the Canon 5D Mark II :beerchug:

domp444
02-26-2011, 04:48 PM
yeah its a simple killer rig
the picture I posted, I'm not sure where it originally came from but a friend of mine from the East Coast sent it to me to show a simple setup I could use for future projects
I think he said it was the House rig?:confused2:
but yeah, the season finale of House was shot (filmed) entirely with the Canon 5D Mark II :beerchug:

It looks like just a stock picture of the rig and the camera setup, most likely not from House though. Maybe he meant that they used a similar setup on House, but it's most definitely not that one. It's a fun camera that is budget friendly and lets you achieve some nice footage :thumbup:

Brushless55
02-26-2011, 05:03 PM
It looks like just a stock picture of the rig and the camera setup, most likely not from House though. Maybe he meant that they used a similar setup on House, but it's most definitely not that one. It's a fun camera that is budget friendly and lets you achieve some nice footage :thumbup:

I need to find that email and get in touch with this guy to see where he got the picture

I think that's a 5D on the rig
and the rig and monotor have some wear marks on them

Either way this is a cool way to get some great footage on a budget

domp444
02-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Just did a google image search for "canon house." this came up: http://6sightreport.com/2010/05/19/“house”-calls-slr-video/

I guess I was wrong, it apparently says they shot using that rig. Sorry Brushless!

Brushless55
02-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Just did a google image search for "canon house." this came up: http://6sightreport.com/2010/05/19/“house”-calls-slr-video/

I guess I was wrong, it apparently says they shot using that rig. Sorry Brushless!

Oh that's awesome, great find bro! :rockon2:

Brushless55
02-26-2011, 05:24 PM
that rig is $1,200 - $1,900 plus your goods
the DSLR revolution looks good! :thumbup1:

domp444
02-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Well, with cheaper costs come some sacrifices. These cameras pose a bunch of problems if you're shooting short films or larger projects. For one, the HDMI output only outputs HD until you press the record button, then the monitor quality goes down noticeably. There's no focus assist, and then there's problems like aliasing and jittery footage while panning. Of course, for the price you could make it work and get some great footage.

Zeiss has some awesome new lenses out, the CP.2 ones. They're great for shooting on DSLRs. Remember, a good, reliable and useable HDSLR rig will cost you 10k+. Unless you're only going to be using one lens, internal audio, and nothing else.

You're gonna need a couple of (good) lenses. A follow focus. A mattebox. Filters. (a good quality) preview monitor. A mic. An audio recorder. And probably some other things I'm forgetting.

Brushless55
02-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Well, with cheaper costs come some sacrifices. These cameras pose a bunch of problems if you're shooting short films or larger projects. For one, the HDMI output only outputs HD until you press the record button, then the monitor quality goes down noticeably. There's no focus assist, and then there's problems like aliasing and jittery footage while panning. Of course, for the price you could make it work and get some great footage.

Zeiss has some awesome new lenses out, the CP.2 ones. They're great for shooting on DSLRs. Remember, a good, reliable and useable HDSLR rig will cost you 10k+. Unless you're only going to be using one lens, internal audio, and nothing else.

You're gonna need a couple of (good) lenses. A follow focus. A mattebox. Filters. (a good quality) preview monitor. A mic. An audio recorder. And probably some other things I'm forgetting.

Uhhmmmm?
I really don't know where to start???
pose a problem for projects? sounds like they did a great job on the set of House
you don't need 10grand for this setup (whats in the picture that was posted!), and get your shot before you push the little button if this is true, and things are good
focus assist?
if your talking about a Camera Assistant, get the deluxe bundle to pull focus

and who really cares.. the OP is about something else
if someone wants to spend a few grand or serveral hundred thousand, so bee it :Peace_Sign:

Brushless55
02-26-2011, 05:58 PM

no one is on these forums to convice you of anything
fact is they used this rig... do a little search before your confidence slips :lol:
and we are talking of this rig not what was used in the past

"The first network television prime-time drama shot entirely on an SLR camera: “House,” captured with a 22-megapixel Canon EOS 5D Mark II SLR.

USA Today quotes cinematographer Gale Tattersall as saying the Canon video “looked absolutely stunning.” For the episode, he switched from 35mm film Arriflex cameras to three Canon SLRs, and used a RedRock Micro rig."

domp444
02-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Uhhmmmm?
I really don't know where to start???
pose a problem for projects? sounds like they did a great job on the set of House
you don't need 10grand for this setup (whats in the picture that was posted!), and get your shot before you push the little button if this is true, and things are good
focus assist?
if your talking about a Camera Assistant, get the deluxe bundle to pull focus

and who really cares.. the OP is about something else
if someone wants to spend a few grand or serveral hundred thousand, so bee it :Peace_Sign:

They did a great job on House, and they didn't do it with only that rig. It took a lot more than just what's in the picture to get the shots and colors they did.
You can get your shot before you press the button, it just gets more complicated when things start moving closer and farther away from the camera. A follow focus is a great thing to have, but it's just a bit more complicated on these cameras to keep everything in focus when you want it.
10 grand would be a good starting point to get this camera set up in a way you could shoot a short on. Unless you can use the same lens for all of your shots.

Who cares? I thought we were discussing this so I posted my response...

Brushless55
02-26-2011, 06:24 PM
They did a great job on House, and they didn't do it with only that rig. It took a lot more than just what's in the picture to get the shots and colors they did.
You can get your shot before you press the button, it just gets more complicated when things start moving closer and farther away from the camera. A follow focus is a great thing to have, but it's just a bit more complicated on these cameras to keep everything in focus when you want it.
10 grand would be a good starting point to get this camera set up in a way you could shoot a short on. Unless you can use the same lens for all of your shots.

Who cares? I thought we were discussing this so I posted my response...

Really, we could be all year on this
you can spend a few grand or several million on one project :doh:
what is the OP anyway??

domp444
02-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Really, we could be all year on this
you can spend a few grand or several million on one project :doh:
what is the OP anyway??

Haha, yup!
And I believe the OP was a video of two guys, one dumb one smart, teaching people how to build a $30 plane :biggrin:
It was actually pretty cool I thought.

Brushless55
02-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Haha, yup!
And I believe the OP was a video of two guys, one dumb one smart, teaching people how to build a $30 plane :biggrin:
It was actually pretty cool I thought.

ok, if it was the two of us making these videos who the smart one :spy:
:lol:

domp444
02-26-2011, 07:07 PM
ok, if it was the two of us making these videos who the smart one :spy:
:lol:

Well from the way you wrote that... :rofl:

Brushless55
02-26-2011, 07:11 PM
:w00t:

PDR447
02-26-2011, 07:48 PM
no one is on these forums to convice you of anything
fact is they used this rig... do a little search before your confidence slips :lol:
and we are talking of this rig not what was used in the past

"The first network television prime-time drama shot entirely on an SLR camera: “House,” captured with a 22-megapixel Canon EOS 5D Mark II SLR.

USA Today quotes cinematographer Gale Tattersall as saying the Canon video “looked absolutely stunning.” For the episode, he switched from 35mm film Arriflex cameras to three Canon SLRs, and used a RedRock Micro rig."

ok so they got paid for the endorsement of that gear. they used it for one episode... and never again. if it was SO great they would have continued to use it on future shows.

I found this: http://www.petapixel.com/2010/04/09/house-season-finale-filmed-entirely-with-canon-5d-mark-ii/

the whole thing reeks of endorsement/advertisement.

As for people using them for shooting their projects, sure go ahead. but it's not going to turn you from an indie filmmaker to a pro... a good filmmaker doesn't need any particular camera or "depth of field" to make a good film. I've been on good films shot with the HPX-170 and I've been on crap films shot on 35mm film, and everything in between. sure the 5d is a good "swiss army knife" since you get stills and video in one. but it has its drawbacks and it's a PITA to work with as a movie camera cause of the form factor.

Brushless55
02-26-2011, 10:29 PM
ok so they got paid for the endorsement of that gear. they used it for one episode... and never again. if it was SO great they would have continued to use it on future shows.

I found this: http://www.petapixel.com/2010/04/09/house-season-finale-filmed-entirely-with-canon-5d-mark-ii/

the whole thing reeks of endorsement/advertisement.

As for people using them for shooting their projects, sure go ahead. but it's not going to turn you from an indie filmmaker to a pro... a good filmmaker doesn't need any particular camera or "depth of field" to make a good film. I've been on good films shot with the HPX-170 and I've been on crap films shot on 35mm film, and everything in between. sure the 5d is a good "swiss army knife" since you get stills and video in one. but it has its drawbacks and it's a PITA to work with as a movie camera cause of the form factor.

:doh:
the finished product was good
swiss army knife :olleyes:

Brushless55
02-26-2011, 10:29 PM
and back to the OP

LiPo Power
02-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Halllo!!!
Lets go back to the subject here.... :thumbup1:

Brushless55
02-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Halllo!!!
Lets go back to the subject here.... :thumbup1:

sorry :hug1:

LiPo Power
03-16-2011, 12:20 PM
More and more videos...
I like the way they do it, wicked....
Think of Freak guys and their cheep shallow videos....