PDA

View Full Version : I need a Canopy...Where?

pyroM!KE
02-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Im not going to wait untill late march like HH says it will be back in stock..Who makes a aftermarket one? This blows...I just got it back running today after being down for 3 weeks...:cursing:

Guys, I dont care if your gonna do a slow circle once for 10 seconds, tape down your F#%king lid...Im half assed ready to sell it because of this..Not really..:glare: Im just severely pissed right now..:mad:

jac4412
02-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Mike, as far as I know there is no aftermarket canopys for the MG... you can try to find a forum member here who maybe has some molds to make a couple...

Unless you plan on running your boat and just buying new lids each time it flips you might want to consider reinforcing the hatch with some carbon fiber and maybe some wood or metal sheets... Otherwise, the canopy is pretty fragile. Atleast in comparison to my other pb model my widowmaker which i could probably through on the group and it wouldn't break.

pyroM!KE
02-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Ohh yeah..One that someone molds would work too..I thought there was someone here doing that?

jac4412
02-20-2011, 10:59 PM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=18855&page=2

check out ray's post... he seems to have done a nice job reinforcing it... as for the canopy... no idea if anyone actually molded it, boomer mentions later on in the thread that someone was working on it... might want to follow up from there....

LiPo Power
02-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Remember to put some kind of flotation on it, like expanding foam...

battlefury
02-21-2011, 03:45 AM
I need a canopy too unpainted i will take it as well. :help:

jac4412
02-21-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm assuming that PB will come out with a correct canopy in a bit... I mean they have to right? They have replacement parts for everything else...

pyroM!KE
02-21-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm assuming that PB will come out with a correct canopy in a bit... I mean they have to right? They have replacement parts for everything else...

They better..If I cant get one and i have to wait untill late march, thats the same time the Motley Crew comes out..Ill just get one of those and put the Geico on the Swap Shop!:icon_bs:

jac4412
02-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Aw come on.. the MG is one of the best looking RTR's i've seen... don't give up on her yet, PB will come through

dana
02-21-2011, 10:10 PM
They better..If I cant get one and i have to wait untill late march, thats the same time the Motley Crew comes out..Ill just get one of those and put the Geico on the Swap Shop!:icon_bs:

:buttrock:

battlefury
02-21-2011, 10:41 PM
its really sad.. i have my MG sitting in my storage room with badly cracked canopy instead of playing in the pond with it

pyroM!KE
02-22-2011, 01:03 AM
its really sad.. i have my MG sitting in my storage room with badly cracked canopy instead of playing in the pond with it

Yeah...The MC comes with a FG cowl...It is a 20$ more rtr boat,but like I said I would at this point pay 50 bucks for a lid for the MG right now than to wait another month!!...Ohh well..I just ordered a JAE 21fe rigger and the MG may well see the swap shop any way.....:thumbsdown:
When something is soo good, why is there always something that always holds things back..:doh:
Crap, If I would have known this I would have ordered a couple lids when I got the boat..Ohh wait a minute..They havent had any in stock for months now...Im not bitching,Im just saying...
Or am I bitching...Yeah,I am BITCHING!!!

lectriglide
02-22-2011, 11:07 AM
pyro, I feel for ya, but as you said in your OP, taping down the canopy is SOP ANY time you run. I had the same thing happen, but thankfully it was with the inner tupperware lid. Taped it in the front and back and didn't use the canopy because I was taking Eagletree readings on various props. Well, found out a little tape is not enough. Ordered a couple (these are in stock) and you can be sure I will put flotation on it and the canopy immediately..

Boomer
02-22-2011, 10:56 PM
You can try this fellow to see if he'll make you a MG canopy. He has a mold and has made them for others. Rich at rjteam@aol.com
Not sure of the timing or cost. Shoot him an email
Boomer

Darin Jordan
02-24-2011, 09:28 AM
The MG canopies are suppose to be ready to ship from the manufacturer on March 4th. It takes about a week for them to get in stock from there... so I'd figure Mid-March.

lectriglide
02-24-2011, 09:29 AM
The MG canopies are suppose to be ready to ship from the manufacturer on March 4th. It takes about a week for them to get in stock from there... so I'd figure Mid-March.

Here you go pyro, light at the end of the tunnel... thanks for the update Darin!

kjohnsiii
02-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Sweet!

pyroM!KE
02-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Yeah Im calmer now..hehe..I am building a jae rigger so that will give me some time with that one..cool.

lectriglide
02-28-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm in the same boat now (haha).

TheShaughnessy
03-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Can we get them yet? lost mine last sunday. MY lhs was able to get me the clearish inner liner but canopy was still on back order.

Jeff Wohlt
03-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Was considering using my new one as a mold to make a male and pull ABS ones...or does the FG one seem the best? Looks like too thin to me. Just hate to spend the time on FG molds for these.

TheShaughnessy
03-13-2011, 09:27 PM
well this will be my third one. The one it came with wasn't taped right and flexed when i stuffed it so the force of the water ripped it off, second one should have been re taped after the first flip but i kept running and the tape failed me. Point is both of those were plastic so i don't know if FB would be too thin. Making a FG mold seems like quite a bit of work unless you plan on making a few and selling them. 20 bucks is a decent price for a painted canopy though IMO

pyroM!KE
03-15-2011, 12:34 PM
This does suck..I hate having a boat I cant even run!! Im not going to pay 80+ for a fg canopy..This is ridiculous!!!!!!!! I would pay around 30-35 for one..Come on ProBoat..Step up to the plate...Jeeeeezz

Fluid
03-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Today: HH says early April and the cost is $17.99 w/o shipping.

JackBlack26
03-15-2011, 01:59 PM
I cracked mine after the boat flipped backwards and skid on the lid for about 50 feet. Since I didn't lose any pieces I was able to glass it back together. I feel for you guys that lost it all together. I wold pay HH to back order it. What happens is that when they come in they ship out the back ordered ones and stock never fills up. Just pay for it on back order and I'm sure when they come in you will get a nice surprise in the mail.

ron1950
03-15-2011, 02:40 PM
contact tiqueman on here..he makes em

ray schrauwen
03-15-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm in for a FG one but, Tiqueman kinda dissappeared....

ron1950
03-16-2011, 07:00 AM
hes around just im him on here he does aot of handyman jobs and gets busy sometimes

LiPo Power
03-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Make it two!!!!

I'm in for a FG one but, Tiqueman kinda dissappeared....

pyroM!KE
03-16-2011, 04:52 PM
So if you guys end up getting a fg cowl what color will you paint it? Im thinking bright or florescent red..or an airbrushed american flag..that would look tight..

TheShaughnessy
03-16-2011, 08:43 PM
So if you guys end up getting a fg cowl what color will you paint it? Im thinking bright or florescent red..or an airbrushed american flag..that would look tight..

It would be unique, as for me i plan on going with the stock color. I was able to match it pretty close when I did my truck body. Mostly yellow florescent with just a little bit of florescent green. I got my colors from Michaels and my air brush + compressor at harbor freight.

I cracked mine after the boat flipped backwards and skid on the lid for about 50 feet. Since I didn't lose any pieces I was able to glass it back together. I feel for you guys that lost it all together. I wold pay HH to back order it. What happens is that when they come in they ship out the back ordered ones and stock never fills up. Just pay for it on back order and I'm sure when they come in you will get a nice surprise in the mail.

I had Dave, my local hobby shop owner order one for me, but he goes to horizon a couple times a week and his computer is telling him they are still on back order from horizon. He said he was gonna get one for me though.

I may have to go snorkeling and see if I can find it, or pieces of it, not sure if it broke or not. I lost it in the swimming area over at the lake so it's only 4-5 feet deep and there is a wall separating it from the actual lake. Patience and I are not real close friends.

JackBlack26
03-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Cool theme on your blitz!

I wanted to go snorkeling after I lost the lid to my Prince at Hanson Dam this past Saturday. But unfortunately they wont let you swim in the lake :( . I did pull the boat out with an small boat anchor one of the lifeguards lent me. The whole boat was MIA under 15' of forest green, murky water for at least an hour. Jan at Kintec is getting me a new one though.

Mine's back in one piece and ready for more crazy action. I noticed the right sponson is splitting so I contacted Tiqueman to see has any all white canopies layed up. I may be going for a different theme once I repair the sponson. Maybe all white Budweiser...or maybe a gold and candy red Tecate theme.

lectriglide
03-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Wonder if the replenished supply will be same as original stock? It would really be nice if it were a thicker one.

pyroM!KE
03-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Dont get your hopes up..There not gonna do anything more for the same price as the stock canopy has always been..I still dont understand why they dont use lexan though..That is just retardedd..:ThumbsDown01:

ron1950
03-18-2011, 11:58 AM
hey all...teg is back on here im him for a fg hatch

JackBlack26
03-18-2011, 03:24 PM
LoL, I think you meant Tiqueman, Scott, right?. Yeah I was among the many that PMed him about getting a hatch no matter what color they are. He said he made a post but I guess it has to be approved by the mods or something. My geico is turning a weird yellow anyways, so at this point for me it time for a "complete makeover, boat edition"! No need to fill up his in box. His thread regarding the hatches will show up soon. Just keep an eye out for it in the "special services" forum.

lectriglide
03-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Horizon shows "item coming soon" then changes the "mid April" to "early May" now on the canopies - Sux. :ThumbsDown01: :cursing:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB4102

ray schrauwen
03-19-2011, 01:31 AM
Hopefully they are changing what material they use to make it out of....

ron1950
03-19-2011, 11:34 PM
dont count on it...its sales

Jeff Wohlt
03-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Looks to me the the mg Hatch is made of pulled thin smoked styrene or something like that. Then it is primed with brown primer and then painted. I checked mine and should be an easy pull with some 30 or 40 thousand clear or white styrene after a male buck is made. I could care less if I can see through the windshield.

ray schrauwen
03-20-2011, 01:38 AM
Looks to me the the mg Hatch is made of pulled thin smoked styrene or something like that. Then it is primed with brown primer and then painted. I checked mine and should be an easy pull with some 30 or 40 thousand clear or white styrene after a male buck is made. I could care less if I can see through the windshield.

Yep :iagree:

TheShaughnessy
03-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Pro boat/ Horizon hobbies was at rcx this weekend. As soon as i saw the miss gieco i walked up to it and took the hatch off and told the guy i was taking it until they get them off back order. I asked him about the date changes from mid march to early april and he said that usually means it's on a boat somewhere. (looks like they come from over seas). I also asked him about the mr3000 vs the mr 300 and he said that it was a running change they decided to make. I made a comment about the flex shaft issue to which he just admitted the mistake. I also asked him why they opted for a plastic canopy vs a FB one, before he could answer i asked, "was it because of cost?" He actually said yes to that. Horizon sent a good group of guys out to rcx, as for traxxas i can't really say the same.

ron1950
03-20-2011, 04:32 PM
great sounds like they have to make a price reduction if they go to a 40 dollar less reciver.....NOT

ray schrauwen
03-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Pro boat/ Horizon hobbies was at rcx this weekend. As soon as i saw the miss gieco i walked up to it and took the hatch off and told the guy i was taking it until they get them off back order. I asked him about the date changes from mid march to early april and he said that usually means it's on a boat somewhere. (looks like they come from over seas). I also asked him about the mr3000 vs the mr 300 and he said that it was a running change they decided to make. I made a comment about the flex shaft issue to which he just admitted the mistake. I also asked him why they opted for a plastic canopy vs a FB one, before he could answer i asked, "was it because of cost?" He actually said yes to that. Horizon sent a good group of guys out to rcx, as for traxxas i can't really say the same.

So, I guess you didn't ask him if they went to a better material for the canopy??

Anything would be better than the original plastic.

pyroM!KE
03-20-2011, 05:33 PM
It will be the same..If they did make a change Darin Jordan would have chimed in here..The Motley crew looks better and better every day that goes by..Havent run my mg in about 3 weeks now because of this sh!t...It may be up on the Sale thread soon..
Guess what..They will probably be backordered shortly after there back in stock and that will be another 3 months of Next month, I mean the next month, I mean the next month..Im very frustrated with this!:icon_bs: Ive been in every aspect of rc hobbies Literally..And I have never been hung up on such a cheesy part..

Sorry guys..Im venting.Ive got a good chunk of money invested and only have like 12 runs on it in the last 3 months..Mind you I bought enough packs for this boat to do that In one day easily!

With batts,new charger,New Tx, odds and ends I'm about 750 balls deep in this boat...This is the only boat I have..

ron1950
03-20-2011, 06:55 PM
if u are interested in a fiberglass hatch tiqueman has told me they are ready to ship unpainted i beleave....im him on here

JackBlack26
03-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Yup, Yup, and Yup. I was there and asked the same. But I didn't threaten to take the hatch because it had been dropped and had a scratch on it, lol! But seriously, the horizon guys are always great. Even on the phone. They admit their mistakes and make it right. Traxxas still denies that the stub axles break on the 4x4 slash even though they cant seem to keep them on the shelf!!....or on the truck:banana:

Scott should be chiming in any day now regarding those glass hatches. I'm ready to start sanding and painting:thumbup1:

TheShaughnessy
03-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Yup, Yup, and Yup. I was there and asked the same. But I didn't threaten to take the hatch because it had been dropped and had a scratch on it, lol! But seriously, the horizon guys are always great. Even on the phone. They admit their mistakes and make it right. Traxxas still denies that the stub axles break on the 4x4 slash even though they cant seem to keep them on the shelf!!....or on the truck:banana:

Scott should be chiming in any day now regarding those glass hatches. I'm ready to start sanding and painting:thumbup1:

lol yeah i didn't actually take it i was just messin around. I saw that blemish on the top too, guy said it was just from moving it around show to show. I lost a lot of respect for traxxas over the weekend ( as if i had any for them before). Read my post over in the 6s spartan thread about what happened between me and a traxxas rep.

Since the original reason for going plastic on the canopy was cost i think it is fair to assume there will be no fg hatch coming from HH.

As for RCX i was actually a little disappointed. It was cool and all but i was expecting more companies to actually be selling their products at special show prices. Thunderpower is the only big name i recall selling something. They were gonna give 50 off their 4s 65c 5000 mah packs so they would only be 200 a piece instead of of 250. Other vendors i saw were just selling cheap toy grade stuff like the 3.5 channel rtf helis, i saw a 35 dollar rescue boat ( I would have made it a rescue anyway.) i kinda wish i would have gotten it but oh well, i have other hulls, kinda thinking about building a slip from wood then adding some electronics. Kind like that buggie board rescue craft. I saw rpm selling some stuff too, just not what i was anticipating. They get you excited and in the mood to buy and then don't wanna sell you anything, i couldn't figure that out.

I was really hoping i could score a 4060 or what ever size it is leopard 2000 kv for the p mono i want to build. Still deciding between a df34 or the titan 33, i need to sell some of the stuff i'm not using though, or sell some more tile jobs.

Anybody need tile, wood granite, plumbing, paint, drywall, etc done at their house? Mike needs a new boat and someone needs a remodel on their house. Your buddies will be envious after my company gets done with your house.

JackBlack26
03-21-2011, 12:43 PM
lol yeah i didn't actually take it i was just messin around. I saw that blemish on the top too, guy said it was just from moving it around show to show. I lost a lot of respect for traxxas over the weekend ( as if i had any for them before). Read my post over in the 6s spartan thread about what happened between me and a traxxas rep.
Ill take a look at that thread
Since the original reason for going plastic on the canopy was cost i think it is fair to assume there will be no fg hatch coming from HH.

As for RCX i was actually a little disappointed. It was cool and all but i was expecting more companies to actually be selling their products at special show prices. Thunderpower is the only big name i recall selling something. They were gonna give 50 off their 4s 65c 5000 mah packs so they would only be 200 a piece instead of of 250. Other vendors i saw were just selling cheap toy grade stuff like the 3.5 channel rtf helis, i saw a 35 dollar rescue boat ( I would have made it a rescue anyway.) i kinda wish i would have gotten it but oh well, i have other hulls, kinda thinking about building a slip from wood then adding some electronics. Kind like that buggie board rescue craft. I saw rpm selling some stuff too, just not what i was anticipating. They get you excited and in the mood to buy and then don't wanna sell you anything, i couldn't figure that out.Yeah, it was weird to see so many cheap Chinese toys this year. It was like ging to an outdoor swapmeet! I too go excited about RMP actually selling stuff then I saw it was more expensive than buying on line. WTF? I was hoping to see RC monster cause I wanted to pick up a 150x50mm battery tray and they were a no show.

I was really hoping i could score a 4060 or what ever size it is leopard 2000 kv for the p mono i want to build. Still deciding between a df34 or the titan 33, i need to sell some of the stuff i'm not using though, or sell some more tile jobs. I picked up a Tacon 4074 2150kv motor for $59 from Hobbypartz.com. I opened it up and other than having a carbon wrapped rotor they look very nice.

Anybody need tile, wood granite, plumbing, paint, drywall, etc done at their house? Mike needs a new boat and someone needs a remodel on their house. Your buddies will be envious after my company gets done with your house.[COLOR="Red"]Get in line buddy! Were on the same sinking boat.:sinking-guy:[/COLOR
:beerchug:

pyroM!KE
03-21-2011, 05:19 PM
I got a tupperware lid in eariler so Im gonna run my MG today without the canopy on it..hehe..Ill run it 4s so i dont risk blowing it over and Ill tape the crap out of it..I gotta run my boat..I just gotta..The weather is killing me..:buttrock:

tman52804
03-21-2011, 09:56 PM
How do you get ahold of tiqueman? I want FG.

JackBlack26
03-21-2011, 11:44 PM
He's been busy and not on here as much as before, but PM him and if his box isn't full he'll get back to you when he logs back in.

dano1
03-22-2011, 08:34 PM
who's making the air intake scoops? im wanting a couple of them

pyroM!KE
04-04-2011, 01:40 PM
It will be the same..If they did make a change Darin Jordan would have chimed in here..The Motley crew looks better and better every day that goes by..Havent run my mg in about 3 weeks now because of this sh!t...It may be up on the Sale thread soon..
Guess what..They will probably be backordered shortly after there back in stock and that will be another 3 months of Next month, I mean the next month, I mean the next month..Im very frustrated with this!:icon_bs: Ive been in every aspect of rc hobbies Literally..And I have never been hung up on such a cheesy part..

Sorry guys..Im venting.Ive got a good chunk of money invested and only have like 12 runs on it in the last 3 months..Mind you I bought enough packs for this boat to do that In one day easily!

With batts,new charger,New Tx, odds and ends I'm about 750 balls deep in this boat...This is the only boat I have..

LMFAO!! Well not really..

I predicted it..They have put it off another month..Now there saying late May..WTF is going on here?

TheShaughnessy
04-04-2011, 05:18 PM
LMFAO!! Well not really..

I predicted it..They have put it off another month..Now there saying late May..WTF is going on here?

Late may? what happened to early may? wait what happened to mid April? C'mon horizon, show us what you're made of and get us some canopies asap!!!

PDR447
04-04-2011, 07:50 PM
no need for proboat's anymore: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?p=302512

now we just need to find the right color paint... Darin, can you smuggle us some? or at least prod horizon/proboat to start selling it?

lectriglide
04-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Late may? what happened to early may? wait what happened to mid April? C'mon horizon, show us what you're made of and get us some canopies asap!!!

I've been watching it religiously, and it went from mid April, to mid May, then to accepting backorders (very short time), then back to mid May and now late May where it is now. Is it not truly known when they will be available or I wonder if backorders sold out all the incoming stock??? Maybe Darin can get us an update.

tiqueman
04-05-2011, 09:41 AM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=23499

And thanks to all who plugged me :beerchug:

Darin Jordan
04-05-2011, 10:00 AM
I've been watching it religiously, and it went from mid April, to mid May, then to accepting backorders (very short time), then back to mid May and now late May where it is now. Is it not truly known when they will be available or I wonder if backorders sold out all the incoming stock??? Maybe Darin can get us an update.

Guys... I was just told (by e-mail, about 2-minutes ago), that the MG canopies are in stock NOW!! That came from the ProBoat Product Development manager, so I am assuming he's correct.

tiqueman
04-05-2011, 10:19 AM
This does suck..I hate having a boat I cant even run!! Im not going to pay 80+ for a fg canopy..This is ridiculous!!!!!!!! I would pay around 30-35 for one..Come on ProBoat..Step up to the plate...Jeeeeezz

Ive been making canopies for other boats for a little while now. I could see if you had a decent shop, ordered in mass bulk quantities etc etc prices could be lower, but in all fairness, 80 dollars isnt really that bad. If I was in it to make money, Id have to charge at least 65 or 70. When you have 25 in materials plus brushes, containers, mixing stick, solvents, I think you see my point, 30 to 35 is what you have in it before it even goes out the door.. Oh and did I mention your giving each one a few hours of free labor as well? And thats just for the part, how about the cost of production of the mold. Thats twice what the part costs. I had over 300 bills into my first BJ26 mold, with materials, screwed up the first mold, did the second different, didnt like it so made a third. Probably wht Jeff doesnt want to bother with making a resin mold. Its time consuming and expensive. I put my BJ lids from 35 to 40 so I could at least make a couple dollars and started my Geico lids at 40. Even at that, you have to sell quite a few just to break even. Cost of materials (epoxy) keeps going up. Eventually, they wont be 40 anymore either. Id love to sell mine for at least 60, but times are just as hard on most folks as they are for me right now. Im just trying to have a little fun in the hobby and help out fellow boaters w/ similar problems.

Plus dont forget, you say youll pay $50. for a cheap a$$ piece of 4 dollar plastic. :laugh:

Just my behind the scenes $.02, not trying to go toe to toe with you, just telling you the reason why hatches, especially epoxy, arent cheap.

Darin Jordan
04-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Guys... I was just told (by e-mail, about 2-minutes ago), that the MG canopies are in stock NOW!! That came from the ProBoat Product Development manager, so I am assuming he's correct.

CRAP!! I just got another note, saying that they just checked stock and now there are only two left! :doh:

I was told that more are being expedited, but I have no idea what that means in terms of time...

Sorry guys... this side of the house isn't really anything I have much influence on... Just relaying the info.

Not sure how these large hobby companies work, but it seems like a constant battle between the product developers (ProBoat), and the marketing department (Horizon)... Apparently, the purchasing and marketing departments don't always anticipate the damand of some of this stuff. Hopefully they get this one sorted out soon, and learn not to do this on the next one(s)... It's a shame on an otherwise good product...

Darin Jordan
04-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Plus dont forget, you say youll pay $50. for a cheap a$$ piece of 4 dollar plastic. :laugh:

For the sake of accuracy... the MG canopies are only $17.99... WHEN they are in stock... :Peace_Sign:

Having played with epoxy and glass... you are right though... people do NOT understand what it takes to get a quality piece of fiberglass these days.

One day, in the future, there will be piles and piles of totalled, thrashed, falling-apart RTR piles of glass fibers laying around, with fully intact canopies sitting on top of the pile! :D

tiqueman
04-05-2011, 10:31 AM
For the sake of accuracy... the MG canopies are only $17.99... WHEN they are in stock... :Peace_Sign:

Having played with epoxy and glass... you are right though... people do NOT understand what it takes to get a quality piece of fiberglass these days.

One day, in the future, there will be piles and piles of totalled, thrashed, falling-apart RTR piles of glass fibers laying around, with fully intact canopies sitting on top of the pile! :D

I was refering to this comment :laugh:

Yeah...The MC comes with a FG cowl...It is a 20$ more rtr boat,but like I said I would at this point pay 50 bucks for a lid for the MG right now than to wait another month!!...Ohh well..I just ordered a JAE 21fe rigger and the MG may well see the swap shop any way.....:thumbsdown:
When something is soo good, why is there always something that always holds things back..:doh:
Crap, If I would have known this I would have ordered a couple lids when I got the boat..Ohh wait a minute..They havent had any in stock for months now...Im not bitching,Im just saying...
Or am I bitching...Yeah,I am BITCHING!!!

Darin Jordan
04-05-2011, 10:50 AM
You know... if you guys would learn to keep the boats upright, this wouldn't be an issue!

Hahahahaha.... :just-kidding:

I know, guys... it's a PITA... Wish there was something more I could do, but all I do is provide design/development/testing support... don't have any pull with purchasing. :unsure:

tiqueman
04-05-2011, 10:58 AM
You know... if you guys would learn to keep the boats upright, this wouldn't be an issue!

Hahahahaha.... :just-kidding:

I know, guys... it's a PITA... Wish there was something more I could do, but all I do is provide design/development/testing support... don't have any pull with purchasing. :unsure:

Ouch... thats funny though :roflol:

Boomer
04-05-2011, 11:10 AM
The two fellows that have made molds, from my understanding know how to make Fiberglass objects properly. The larger issue is the "freakin" color.
They both spent tons of money trying to make that color and couldn't do it.

These guys (Rich and Scott) understandably, have put their projects on a shelf. I think until the paint is made available, a quality canopy that matches is just a nice thought. I found a color that matches, but it is not the right kind of paint for these boats, it is for the clear car bodies. It does work as a touch up paint for small dings you might incounter.

I got a PM from Scott (tiqeman) inviting those interested in a good hatch to contact him.

This is a copy of that message.
"Hey guys, Im finally back on track over here and able to focus for a bit on these hatches. If your still interested, please make not in this forum.
Thank you all for your patience. Scott"
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=23499

So, if you need a hatch give ol' Scott a PM to check it out.

The larger point here is that our friends and Proboat have let their MG customers down on this issue. I have for a year now been asking them for paint, with no sign of interest or ability to get it. They know the canopy is not strong enough, but have shown no interest in offering an up graded hatch the matches our boats.

On both counts, they are loosing revenue generating opportunities, that are very easy to take advantage of. My MG is my favorite FE, and so far I've been lucky, so my canopy is still one piece. I have reinforced it, but who know if it will survive a decent blow over?

As a outside consultant, I would image Darin has expressed his thoughts on this issue to Proboat, yet still no word from the "brain trust" at Horizon. Frankly, this suggests a significant lack of commitment to their customers. Enough already.

Hope Scott can come through on some hatches.

Boomer

Darin Jordan
04-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Frankly, this suggests a significant lack of commitment to their customers. Enough already.

REALLY?? Seriously?? Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that you are talking about supplying a controlled, hazardous chemical (even more-so, most likely, since it's directly from China... :eek: ) that consumers wouldn't be willing to pay what it costs to deal with for?? Sometimes, things aren't as trivial as people would like to make them out to be.

I'm not sure what all goes on behind the scenes at Horizon, but I have enough experience with dealing with shipping hazardous materials, or purchasing them online, to know that it's not something you could offer for the $4.99 that most would be willing to pay.

Just sayin'...

pyroM!KE
04-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Ok I feel better now..I just ordered a Lid..I know I prob should have got a FG one but Im kinda broke right now..Lol..Theres only 1 in stock now..:laugh::roflol:

PDR447
04-05-2011, 01:59 PM
bah, after tax and shipping and everything it comes to over $25, my hatch is still in one piece so I'm just going to put that towards supplies to reinforce my current one, hopefully that should last until we can find some paint for these FG hatches.

pyroM!KE
04-05-2011, 02:10 PM
The total on mine was 22 shipped..:confused2:

tiqueman
04-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Ok I feel better now..I just ordered a Lid..I know I prob should have got a FG one but Im kinda broke right now..Lol..Theres only 1 in stock now..:laugh::roflol:

Just re-inforce it before you run it, otherwise you just wasted $22. The first time mine blew over I shattered the lid. I pieced what I could back together and filled the rest w/ cloth and mat then covered all of the inside. It looked like heck, but it worked and got me back onthe water. When I got my next lid, I ordered 2, and before I did one run, I re-inforced it. I sold that lid to a forum member and re-inforced my second one. Im now running that and have had some violent blow overs and no problems at all.

pyroM!KE
04-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Just re-inforce it before you run it, otherwise you just wasted $22. The first time mine blew over I shattered the lid. I pieced what I could back together and filled the rest w/ cloth and mat then covered all of the inside. It looked like heck, but it worked and got me back onthe water. When I got my next lid, I ordered 2, and before I did one run, I re-inforced it. I sold that lid to a forum member and re-inforced my second one. Im now running that and have had some violent blow overs and no problems at all.
SO what do I need to use..Also what is a good way to help it float..Thats how I lost it..I flipped it and lost it..

Darin Jordan
04-05-2011, 03:34 PM
SO what do I need to use..Also what is a good way to help it float..Thats how I lost it..I flipped it and lost it..

Just for future reference, I've spec'd on any new boats we do that they should have a positive latching system, and lose the magnets. The sample I have here for an upcoming offering has a simply rotating latch that will more securely hold the canopy in place... OH, and the canopy has floatation from the factory... :spy: :bounce:

pyroM!KE
04-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Just for future reference, I've spec'd on any new boats we do that they should have a positive latching system, and lose the magnets. The sample I have here for an upcoming offering has a simply rotating latch that will more securely hold the canopy in place... OH, and the canopy has floatation from the factory... :spy: :bounce:

Umm the stock canopy?Cuz I watched mine sink..I got to see it for like 1 minute and then it disappeared..:sinking-guy:
I agree on the latch..I think Im gonna use some kinda hatch lock screw..I hate messing with the tape..

tiqueman
04-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Im not sure if Darin is refering to a bone stock MG canopy or one he has modified, but I also will stand behind the stockers not floating as I tested mine. HOWEVER, as Darin stated, ALWAYS use some kind of latch or even tape. Just because it has a tuperware lid, DOES NOT mean its going to stay together ina roll or if it subs. Relying only on magnets and or a small piece of tape on the back will always result in a lost hatch... Always.

As for Reinforcing Mike, Small can of polyester resin, (about 10 bucks) , 4oz cloth, $7 or so, 2 disposable brushes or one brush and tissue paper and sandpaper, totaling about $20.00 or so, scuff the inside of the hatch, lay in a layer of 4oz cloth, using the brush and a dabbing motion, wet out the cloth. Once wet out and nicely prepared, lay in the second using your hands (oh, you need latex gloves too) and the brush only adding resin as needed to help wet out. You probably wont have to add any more resin. Once complete, use a dry brush or wadded up tissue paper and plot out the excess resin. See that 20 bucks coulda gone towards an epoxy hatch, your only about $10. off now.... Just pokin your side :beerchug:

Reading Darins again, I think he means hes going to request a floating canopy on the next boat..?

tman52804
04-05-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm glad I have a spare :)

Boomer
04-06-2011, 12:31 AM
REALLY?? Seriously?? Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that you are talking about supplying a controlled, hazardous chemical (even more-so, most likely, since it's directly from China... :eek: ) that consumers wouldn't be willing to pay what it costs to deal with for?? Sometimes, things aren't as trivial as people would like to make them out to be.

I'm not sure what all goes on behind the scenes at Horizon, but I have enough experience with dealing with shipping hazardous materials, or purchasing them online, to know that it's not something you could offer for the $4.99 that most would be willing to pay.

Just sayin'...

Darin,
I am not sure why Proboat or any one else would ship paint from China, when in this case all they'd need to do is get the color formula and get the paint made domestically. It would require someone with the authority make the decision to do it, and have the appropiate employees make it happen.

I am confident that if Rich or Scott had the paint formula, they'd be making matching fiberglass canopies.

Don't get me wrong, I like dealing with Horizon, but there is room for improvement.

Just sayin'

Boomer

fox41
04-06-2011, 10:21 AM
HI, just got my MG canopy from Horizon today, Wed. morn, ordered Fri. 4-1-11, they must of had a few in stock.
Steve

TheShaughnessy
04-06-2011, 12:22 PM
HI, just got my MG canopy from Horizon today, Wed. morn, ordered Fri. 4-1-11, they must of had a few in stock.
Steve

so if i had the lhs order me one a month ago the order should have been filled? Hope this is true.

fox41
04-06-2011, 12:41 PM
The website Fri. showed they had them in stock, I put a charge on my card, shipped right away, It showed them in stock for a little while then went to out of stock again.
Steve

lectriglide
04-06-2011, 01:49 PM
The website Fri. showed they had them in stock, I put a charge on my card, shipped right away, It showed them in stock for a little while then went to out of stock again.
Steve

I figured this would happen (out of stock very quickly) so I back-ordered one back on 3/16. Haven't heard a thing from Horizon, so I'm a little worried. Guess I'll give them a call.

fox41
04-06-2011, 02:15 PM
I wonder why they don't give preference to back orders over non back-orders?

lectriglide
04-06-2011, 04:37 PM
I wonder why they don't give preference to back orders over non back-orders?

Who knows, it's probably due to some "processes." I did call them, and they said it was sent out yesterday, although I still haven't received any notification or tracking from them. :Praying:

pyroM!KE
04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I ordered mine yesterday at about 11:00am..Still no shipping Info..Though they showed 2 in stock when I ordered mine..

fox41
04-06-2011, 08:42 PM
When I received the email from Horizon it showed a UPS tracking number, it actually came USPS. Good luck.
Steve

TheShaughnessy
04-06-2011, 11:31 PM
The two fellows that have made molds, from my understanding know how to make Fiberglass objects properly. The larger issue is the "freakin" color.
They both spent tons of money trying to make that color and couldn't do it.

These guys (Rich and Scott) understandably, have put their projects on a shelf. I think until the paint is made available, a quality canopy that matches is just a nice thought. I found a color that matches, but it is not the right kind of paint for these boats, it is for the clear car bodies. It does work as a touch up paint for small dings you might incounter.

I got a PM from Scott (tiqeman) inviting those interested in a good hatch to contact him.

This is a copy of that message.
"Hey guys, Im finally back on track over here and able to focus for a bit on these hatches. If your still interested, please make not in this forum.
Thank you all for your patience. Scott"
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=23499

So, if you need a hatch give ol' Scott a PM to check it out.

Boomer

what forum is this, i can't seem to find it again and this link stopped working for me.

tiqueman
04-07-2011, 12:49 AM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=23499