PDA

View Full Version : Prop shaft

ISR
12-28-2007, 10:18 AM
I just got back my new steerable drive system from Horizon, as the one that came with the BJ 26 brusnless only had one bushing. After installing it I see there is no play in the prop shaft. I'm going to use just the stock setup with 3600 Ni-MH batteries. Do I need some play and if so, is just removing the washer between the u-joint and the steerable drive enough?

Thanks, ISR

obrien
12-28-2007, 03:04 PM
I would leave the washers in place. You can put some play in the shaft by loosiening the bolts that hold the motor mount to the boat, and sliding the motor rearward just a bit. Also, how much trim angle toyou have on the drive itself. That will make a big differance as well.

ISR
12-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks for your suggestions obrien. It looks like I have alittle up trim angle on the drive. Shouldn't that be alittle down trim if any!

Thanks, ISR

obrien
12-29-2007, 08:46 AM
I always ran mine up. It will run very loose when you start running higher speeds. Ideally you want the trim to be neutral. I was running mine high trying for top end numbers.

ISR
12-29-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm very new at this "speed" stuff, so it sounds like down would be best for me to start? In fact I'm new at this boats stuff. Changed over from airplanes, too old for that now!
Then go to neutral and maybe try up, some day !

Thanks

obrien
12-29-2007, 05:20 PM
I would keep the shaft in the neutral position. That boat will have a much better ride attitude. If you are running the stock motor, then it will take a bit of work to get the boat over the 40 mph mark. At that point it will start to run a bit more loose. Until you hit that point the boat will be pretty stable.

ISR
12-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Okay, will do, thanks.