PDA

View Full Version : Spartan esc SMOKED! Why???

Turbo Dan-O
02-19-2011, 08:25 AM
So, two of my friends just bought Spartans a few weeks ago. They ran okay with the stock batterys but the lipos came in a few days later. Both have drilled out the cooling port. Next run one Spartan was run on 6s (Two 3s Turnigy 5000mah 20c batterys). Wow! That thing was a beast with just a battery swap! After a short run we checked everything and it was all good and not even warm. After a few more minuets of half throttle runs(water was choppy) it was dead in the water. The esc was burned black! Any idea what happened and why?

Dan-O

Make-a-Wake
02-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Sorry to say that this is just another sad story in the saga.................................folks will go on defending the "toy boat" of the year....................sorry for the loss.

Fluid
02-19-2011, 08:43 AM
I don't know if Traxxas' instructions mention this, but it is very hard on any brushless ESC to run at part throttle for extended periods. The Spartan has enough design problems without stressing the ESC that way, it is no surprise that it failed. The problem was made worse by the extra power of the LiPos.

You can replace the stock ESC with a stronger one, but part throttle running is hard on all of them. If you need to run at slower speeds for extended periods, it is best to use a smaller propeller. If you run mostly at full throttle you will have fewer problems.

dag-nabit
02-19-2011, 09:00 AM
I don't know if Traxxas' instructions mention this, but it is very hard on any brushless ESC to run at part throttle for extended periods. The Spartan has enough design problems without stressing the ESC that way, it is no surprise that it failed. The problem was made worse by the extra power of the LiPos.

You can replace the stock ESC with a stronger one, but part throttle running is hard on all of them. If you need to run at slower speeds for extended periods, it is best to use a smaller propeller. If you run mostly at full throttle you will have fewer problems.

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info.

Unfortunately burned up ESC's have been reported by at least 3 or 4 other Spartan owners that frequent these forums. Traxxas will replace it on warranty, but IMO you are better off to upgrade to something you can feel confident in the reliability.

The concept of the boat is good, large boat, quick enough to have fun and a good starter boat on stock batteries, very fast on 6S lipo to keep more experienced RC'rs happy.

Unfortunately Traxxas has missed the mark on both quality and claimed performance.

Kevin

Turbo Dan-O
02-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Haha yea, not my boat anyways. They both have new ESCs on the way. So Spartan+lipos+ESC= $600 plastic boat???

Dan-O

GeoVW72
02-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Too much chop can also limit the amount of flow that the cooling system gets. With the height of the pick-up it may not have gotten good flow. partial throttle is hard on an esc because it has to restrict the power.

Diesel6401
02-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Haha yea, not my boat anyways. They both have new ESCs on the way. So Spartan+lipos+ESC= $600 plastic boat???

Dan-O

Sadly yes. $600 for a plastic toy boat. And God forbid a wreck would occur in that hull and the plastic will end up being destroyed. The Miss Geico is a much better and solid option from people who KNOW how to make a good boat.

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info.

Kevin

I don't think Traxxas knows that either, which is another reason why training mode on their esc in this boat is a very bad idea, restricting the esc from going full throttle (full throttle makes the esc happy :smile:) is just not a good idea.
JMO of course...

Brushless55
02-19-2011, 09:16 PM
:popcorn2:

Turbo Dan-O
02-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Hope my friends don't see this thread......:Praying:

Dan-O

Make-a-Wake
02-20-2011, 12:18 AM
Hope my friends don't see this thread......:Praying:

Dan-O

Now thats a good one! :thumbup1:

wilsta67
02-21-2011, 02:45 AM

true! but i ran my boat flat out all the time and my esc sizzled as well.
its simpe not designed for lipos even thou they say it is.

wilsta67
02-21-2011, 02:49 AM
the whole boat is a joke.
i should have listen to what people were saying about it.
all i can say is don't buy the piece of junk you will regret it as i have because it costing me another 500 buks to put decent running gear in it.

shctexas
02-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Uh-oh :bash:. Traxxas is about to get hammered yet.......again. They probably shouldn't have dismissed us, huh?

dana
02-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Traxxas should have been scouring these forums to build their boat. But I will say I am VERY happy with My Summit

dana
02-27-2011, 10:10 AM
the whole boat is a joke.
i should have listen to what people were saying about it.
all i can say is don't buy the piece of junk you will regret it as i have because it costing me another 500 buks to put decent running gear in it.

I agree. The aquacat is coming out soon... Save your money

JPriami
02-27-2011, 08:41 PM

wilsta67
02-28-2011, 12:41 AM
ive emailed you

you can give them the rough end of the pineapple from me to.
Traxxas pfft!