PDA

View Full Version : Rumdog's Maritimo build

Rumdog
02-18-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm currently starting a H&M Maritimo build. Bought the hull from JMSCARD. The previous owner did some excellent glasswork relocating the faux exhaust ports from the hatch to the rear of the deck also making them functional water exits. Looks very slick. Will not be adding any of the scale type intakes. It looks very clean this way. The previous owner had it set up as a twin which I will be carrying over to it's new incarnation. However, the motors were mounted VERY far forward and it looked like he ran the lipos on the tunnel. Not too big a problem, but just not my style. Today, I cut out some 3mm CF plate for motor mounts. Cut down the stuffing tubes a couple inches, and removed the stuffing tube supports. I lined the hull with some CF cloth. Came out OK. I HATE working with the cloth, but like the look. It really didn't need much reinforcement, if any at all. I over saturated it because I like the wet look. I'm looking to push this hull. Realllllllly push it! I'll keep posting progress.

oscarel
02-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Hey Rum, can you post a pic of the water exits? I was thinking about that for my stryker but instead went with them exiting on the tunnel.

Rumdog
02-18-2011, 08:56 PM
The actual tubes are taped up right now in prep for paint, but you get the idea..

oscarel
02-18-2011, 09:00 PM
That looks cool, are those airplane pushrod exits??? http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ERN105

Rumdog
02-18-2011, 09:02 PM
They were actually cut right from the rear of the hatch, then transplanted to the rear deck. Whoever it was who did it did a great job. Better than I could have done.

LarrysDrifter
02-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Whats the powerplant info?I do have an idea that would rock in that hull.

rearwheelin
02-19-2011, 01:36 AM
ManualW has a pair of LMT that pushed a cat 100mph in the 2009 german SAW a couple pages into tha swap shop !! Looks like they are in good shape...

bonewar
02-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Very nice Rummy,

Whats the plan mate.

Spill the beans.

Bonewar :rockon2:

forescott
02-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Yeah, give it up! Don't be a tease!

Rumdog
02-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Twin Neu/CC 1515 1y's, just like my much bigger Sprintcat has. 5s1p per motor. Detounged C-R x447's.

Rumdog
02-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Update. Motor mounts installed, along with the motors. Stuffing tube support is next. The the Rudder, servo, and linkage.

LarrysDrifter
02-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Nice.Slowly but surely.Did you make the motor mounts?I like the relief notches you made for the motors,but where they square off a 90 degree angle,you might be better off using a small drill bit to take the corner out.Just a suggestion.Ive seen stress cracks develop when its just cut and not rounded.Im not criticizing,just throwing something out there that may be helpful to you.She looks good.I like the CF job.

Rumdog
02-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks, Larry. Yes, I did make the mounts. Easier than I thought it would be. The notches arent quite done yet. Theyre rough cut, for now. I really actually cut out a lot more than I needed to.

Wont be too long before she's on the water. Then the dreaded tear down for paint...

keithbradley
02-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Lookin pretty hot with the carbon fiber bro. Is that .150" or .187" flexes?
I wouldnt mind seeing some of your stuff run this summer. We should plan some time to get the Michigan guys on here together this year.

Rumdog
02-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks, man! Flexes are .187".
For sure Keith. We'll have to meet up this summer. I was thinking about giving racing a shot this year, but I don't see it happening. I really don't run any P limited boats, and that's the hot ticket in the Michigan club.

rearwheelin
02-24-2011, 12:20 AM
Thats the best way too make sponson mounts ! I did them the same way in my quad drive conquest and same motors.....2mm plate is pleanty strong for thoughs motors even in larger sponsons .

ManuelW
02-24-2011, 06:35 PM
seems to be a nice build. Wouldn't use so much resin in my boat but as you like the glossy look its good. For the motor mounts, nice design but depending on the speed I still would recommend to reinforce the seams with cloth.

@ rearwheelin: Thanks for the advertisement on my engines. But I think they wouldn't be suitable for the Maritimo.

Best regards,
Manuel

derektheshop
02-24-2011, 06:41 PM
i like where this is going, what are your plans as far as paint

Rumdog
02-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks, Manuel. I used a lightweight fiberglass cloth along with the epoxy resin to glue the mounts. Cloth was used at the bottom of the mounts and the outside wall. They're definately not going anywhere.

Rumdog
02-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Good question, Derek. No idea yet. Been thinking for a while too. Yet... nothing.

derektheshop
02-24-2011, 07:08 PM
get crazy with it, thats next boat i plan on building

rearwheelin
02-24-2011, 11:59 PM
seems to be a nice build. Wouldn't use so much resin in my boat but as you like the glossy look its good. For the motor mounts, nice design but depending on the speed I still would recommend to reinforce the seams with cloth.

@ rearwheelin: Thanks for the advertisement on my engines. But I think they wouldn't be suitable for the Maritimo.

Best regards,
ManuelI agree , at the time I didn't realize how small the boat was ....

ManuelW
02-25-2011, 02:35 AM
@ rearwheelin: Thats not the point, I used them in an even shorter cat than the Maritimo...

Best regards,
Manuel :popcorn2:

DISAR
02-25-2011, 03:57 AM
Looking good. I have a Maritimo and these motors so I will follow this thread...

rearwheelin
02-25-2011, 08:25 AM
@ rearwheelin: Thats not the point, I used them in an even shorter cat than the Maritimo...

Best regards,
Manuel :popcorn2:
Well come on brother ! Whats your point ?! Its over my head ...... Sorry rumdog about all this....

JMSCARD
02-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Lookin' Good Rum! now keep this one away from those concrete retaining walls...:eek: may the Drifter Rest in peace...lol, boy rummy you make em' go so fast when they hit something all thats left is fiberglass strands...

:beerchug:

TotalPackage
02-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Ryan do u think it will handle like your sprintcat?Those aeromarine hulls are some of the best I think you will find. Not necessarily the best looking but man! they perform.

JMSCARD
02-25-2011, 10:40 AM
these Maritimo hulls (long narrow hull) are known for strait line stability and lookin' good doing it... totally opposite of what a Sprint Cat is designed for.... and I don't think ANYTHING, lol, is gonna handle like his sprintcat unless it has sponsons that attatch via carbon rods...

old guy
02-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Rumdog what do you think of those drives ?? mine just got here for my Maritimo and they are nice. I was going to run neu1512 but still not sure. this will be one to watch:biggrin:

Rumdog
02-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I dig these drives!
This is pretty much gonna be a SAW boat.

TotalPackage
02-26-2011, 12:33 PM
ryan now that u online let me ask you something. Why does it seem your 1515's ran better than anyone elses ive seen so far? Did you find an optimal timing and pwm point? How do they stack against the 1717's why do they cost so much more that the 1717?I have plans for a 56 inch cat what do you think would be the rite motor to push it.I dont want to spend more than 200.00 per motor.

Rumdog
02-26-2011, 12:46 PM
In vids that I have posted, I am running 5s per motor on the 1515's. A LOT of RPM. These motors have held up excellently over time using 5s again and again. Guys run these on 6s in cars and trucks consistantly. I use 15 degrees timing on these as suggested for the Y winds. The Castle motor sale was for Items that werent selling too hot for them. Most guys were buying up the 1515/MMM motor esc combo and the 1512 (2650kv) MMM combo for trucks and buggies. Seems they just wanted to clear out the inventory of 1520, 1518, 1717, and 1512 1800kv motors. Prices were MUCH higer on these motors at one point. The 1717 is a HOG! I love that motor. I have had and ran ALL of these Castle motors and they are all excellent in quality and performance. Twin 1717's in a 56" cat would work well.

Rumdog
02-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Check out this build by Disar. Twin 1717's. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=20352&highlight=disar+cat

TotalPackage
02-26-2011, 12:49 PM
All I know is that sprint cat of yours hauls azz im no hater bro I give you your props. Me and my boy watched that video the other day and man that thing tracks like a train; handling second to none on those aeromarines. U need to race that thing.Just looked at that build. Man thats sweet. I wish i could find one of these bad boys with a mold heres the one i plan to build. What do you think?Have you done anything new to you maritimo today?

ManuelW
02-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Hello Guys,

hope my posting is accepted as it is not all concerning the Maritimo

@ rearwheelin (have you got a name): The HFK Prototype was my HighSpeed Project for Season 09'. Its a 35" cat with basically the identical step geometry of the Maritimo. But it is wider and has different tunnel and areodynamics. To be fast with this engines the really need 8S Lipo and 2x 8S Lipo in a 35" cat gives a quite nice power/weight ratio. With some special modified ABC 1816/3 it did a 105mph run. Heat was with perfectly balanced boat under absolute perfect conditions. But I think for a Maritimo 2x 8S are just too much. First concerning weight and balance of the boat, second thing is where to fit them? In my boat one 8S pack fits in each sponson.

@ Rumdog: What do you think concerning a SAW boat or what speeds are you planning to achieve? I think the Maritimo is a very nice hull and runs good as well but I don't think as a pure SAW runner its the right choice. IMHO I'd run her max. in the mid 80's. Beside this, which powertrimms do you want to use.

Best regards,
Manuel

PS: Today new test drive with the HPR06 Austrian Build - amazing what can be achieved with a cheap setup when you know what to do ;-D

rearwheelin
02-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Hello Guys,

hope my posting is accepted as it is not all concerning the Maritimo

@ rearwheelin (have you got a name): The HFK Prototype was my HighSpeed Project for Season 09'. Its a 35" cat with basically the identical step geometry of the Maritimo. But it is wider and has different tunnel and areodynamics. To be fast with this engines the really need 8S Lipo and 2x 8S Lipo in a 35" cat gives a quite nice power/weight ratio. With some special modified ABC 1816/3 it did a 105mph run. Heat was with perfectly balanced boat under absolute perfect conditions. But I think for a Maritimo 2x 8S are just too much. First concerning weight and balance of the boat, second thing is where to fit them? In my boat one 8S pack fits in each sponson.

@ Rumdog: What do you think concerning a SAW boat or what speeds are you planning to achieve? I think the Maritimo is a very nice hull and runs good as well but I don't think as a pure SAW runner its the right choice. IMHO I'd run her max. in the mid 80's. Beside this, which powertrimms do you want to use.

Best regards,
Manuel

PS: Today new test drive with the HPR06 Austrian Build - amazing what can be achieved with a cheap setup when you know what to do ;-DThanks Manuel ,
Randy :beerchug:

JPriami
03-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Looking good Rumdog. I like this boat. As if my avatar didnt give that away.
Looking forward to seeing it finished.

LarrysDrifter
03-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Come on Ryan,we need some building updates!

LarrysDrifter
03-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Hope you didnt give up on your twin,Rum.

Rumdog
03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Nah. Just been dragging my feet. I need to get some mill time in at work to make my rudder bracket, but I've been super busy with work lately. Rigging up a new CNC swiss type lathe right now while trying to setup and run production on 2 others is no fun!

The transom is reinforced, and there are blind nuts for the original bracket (which I don't have). I want to make a bracket to put those blind nuts to use.

LarrysDrifter
03-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Sweet. Ill be watching.It would be awsome to make you own parts.

Rumdog
03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Maiden run was Friday. Need to bump the CG up a tad, but it was a rocket as suspected. Went with x 442's for the maiden. Temps were all great. Esc's right at 105, motors around 90 and cells at 110 ish. It was cold out, so was the water. The thru hull pickups seem to work well. Currently tearing down for paint.

Killer V
03-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Rumdog,

I am just finishing up on an Aeromarine Cyclone. I am almost sorry I did not put the twins in like you. I have so much room. You did an awesome job. I think I should have read some more posts before diviving into the build. I can't wait to see the paint work.

I have a great graphics guy out here in New Jersey if you need one.

Killer V

LarrysDrifter
03-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Nice job,Ryan. Hope a video is coming.

old guy
03-30-2011, 12:31 AM
how did you like the drives:bounce:
Rick

DISAR
03-30-2011, 05:36 AM
Nice! How do you compare the twin Maritimo with the twin Sprintcat?

Rumdog
03-30-2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks guys! I really like these drives. Super easy to adjust and the look good. Gonna polish em up a bit when I pull them off.
Disar, the 2 cats couldn't be more different. There is no comparison in handling to my Sprintcat. This hull will take more straight line speed however. Once the lakes open up I'll get a better idea of turning capability and try to hone it in. I'm assuming it will be mostly a SAW type runner. I should get well into the 80's with my CR detongued x447's.

Still undecided on paint..

Rumdog
04-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Paint is done, besides a few accents.

Rumdog
04-12-2011, 07:25 PM
The color is very close to the Miss Geico. No gecko in a kini for me though!

keithbradley
04-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Looks hot broseph! Looking forward to some vid!

JPriami
04-12-2011, 08:13 PM
No gecko in a bathing suite for me either ;)

Rumdog
04-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Ran again yesterday with the detongued x447's. It Screams! Turns absolutely suck, but it handles straight line speed very well. Need to add a little more neg. to the drives. It was getting a little flighty and couldnt hold WOT. Had to order a new coupler as well. I had an old one in on the port side, and it isn't gripping well. Hopefully GPS and vid coming in the next few days once the coupler comes in.

drwayne
04-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Ran again yesterday with the detongued x447's. It Screams! Turns absolutely suck, but it handles straight line speed very well. Need to add a little more neg. to the drives. It was getting a little flighty and couldnt hold WOT. Had to order a new coupler as well. I had an old one in on the port side, and it isn't gripping well. Hopefully GPS and vid coming in the next few days once the coupler comes in.

Gday.
Ive the same , with 1512/1800 on 6S
I initially set neg on stingers but still easy to blowover @ wot.
Reset at parallel to, with center line 1/4 above, the rideline, and added airdam between stinger mounts.. ~3/16" high x 1/4, full width the tunnel.
Flies level now.
Still corners like a shopping trolley :shock:

cheers
W

Rumdog
04-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks Wayne. So, an airdam in the rear, huh? Could you shoot a pic if you get a chance?

drwayne
04-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Sure.
Give me 24 to get home for the w.e. and Ill snap a pic and post.
W

bonewar
04-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Rummy......

The Timo doesn't like trying to turn at wot.
Trust me i know Ive flipped my Simrad cat a thousand times trying.:doh:

Trick is to hit the turn at 3/4 throttle then apply gas SLOWLY through the turn,
you should be able to come out of the corner at wot , I got real good at cornering fast with the Simrad , i can get her to slide out at the end of the corner. Try it , it sounds and looks awesome.

How much does she weigh ?

I like your paint color . What about some ghost flames , would look sick. :thumbup1:

Drwanye....

Mate give us a look at your tunnel air dam setup.
How far down have you made it and does it make the boat more stable at
WOT.

Pictures please...........................

VERY INTERESTED.

Thanks Bonewar :rockon2:

bonewar
04-16-2011, 08:11 PM
double post...........................:sorry:

bonewar
04-16-2011, 08:13 PM
triple post ............................what the #$*% just happened then...................................:sorry:

crrcboatz
04-16-2011, 10:42 PM
My old cat looks wonderful. Great job!!

Curt

Rumdog
04-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the tip bonewar, I'll try it out.
Shoot me a pic, Wayne. Preeeetty please!

Rumdog
04-19-2011, 09:10 AM
bonewar, How is your Timo coming? I gtta see that bad boy run!

FighterCat57
04-19-2011, 10:25 AM
The color is very close to the Miss Geico. No gecko in a kini for me though!

Nice! :beerchug:

Don't know how I missed this thread till now. :doh:

drwayne
04-19-2011, 10:45 AM
triple post ............................what the #$*% just happened then...................................:sorry:

Palsy ?

:tongue:

see attached pic for 'temporary' air dam .... works, so why replace ?
square edge at front, 3/16x1/4, convex at rear

W

Rumdog
04-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Thank you sir! Quite a bit smaller than I imagined. I use one on my sprintcat. It's about 1/2" square. Works well, but bounces a bit at mid throttle. I'm gonna fab something up before I leave work today and attach it with double sided tape.

Rumdog
04-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Just got done running in a snow storm. Fun times! Frozen fingers! Airdam worked excellently! I had one esc prematurely hit lvc, so I'll have to turn the lvc settings to off. I was messing around doing full throttle launces from a stop. It rips out of the water slightly nose up and looks cool as hell. I'm sure thats what caused the lvc to kick in.

drwayne
04-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Just got done running in a snow storm. Fun times! Frozen fingers! Airdam worked excellently! I had one esc prematurely hit lvc, so I'll have to turn the lvc settings to off. I was messing around doing full throttle launces from a stop. It rips out of the water slightly nose up and looks cool as hell. I'm sure thats what caused the lvc to kick in.

Glad it helped. :thumbup:
I use one of the OSE LVC circuits that is independent the 2 esc.. attached at Rx and fed to 2xesc from there... if at wot one cuts out, ouch !
slows it down without cutoff...

W

millzee
04-20-2011, 04:27 AM
Rumdog, love the build!!:thumbup:

FighterCat57
04-20-2011, 08:07 AM
So... um... I get this really messed up thread subscription email...

Then I come here and I see, we all love Rummy's build. =)

I guess it's true, things are better with moderation.

Rummy, have you thought of adding some caps to help prevent the voltage drop?

I've been watching voltage drops with telemetry and trying to figure how to calculate what farad capacity would eliminate the drops or reduce them dramatically. After all, that's what caps are designed to do. Might experiment with a dozen 4700's in a bank to see what happens to the drops.

Rumdog
04-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks, Ben. Yeah, I have the caps to add. Prob. will do this weekend. I may need some vinyl from you. A couple sets of the kitty head and the banner graphic. Are you out of stock currently?

FighterCat57
04-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks, Ben. Yeah, I have the caps to add. Prob. will do this weekend. I may need some vinyl from you. A couple sets of the kitty head and the banner graphic. Are you out of stock currently?

On the hulls, yes, they sold out fast this time around... The 42mm mounts are in flight. :rockon2:

EDIT: Oh, the decals.. whoops! I forgot to add stock! :doh:

I have some stock updates to do on the decals. I'll see if I can get some photos of the new materials.

Rumdog
04-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Quick vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGKR-QNM11A

one more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kEK7exLIM4

chummer
04-23-2011, 03:12 PM
That is Fast!! :w00t::w00t:

I want it!!!:buttrock::buttrock:

Nice job Rumdog.

Rumdog
04-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks! It may be for sale :(